• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Awards .. 2008 =D

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
Why not, instead of having split state rankings, group both SoCal and NorCal together?

I mean, it seems that there aren't enough people anyways for the rankings to be of any use.

I'm not saying it should remain this way, but for the time being, while Melee regains its numbers, we should have a statewide PR.

I don't know if this is a ridiculous suggestion or not, but it seems a viable option. If not, please explain.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Why not, instead of having split state rankings, group both SoCal and NorCal together?

I mean, it seems that there aren't enough people anyways for the rankings to be of any use.

I'm not saying it should remain this way, but for the time being, while Melee regains its numbers, we should have a statewide PR.

I don't know if this is a ridiculous suggestion or not, but it seems a viable option. If not, please explain.
I do like the idea of everyone being in one PR, but the problem with that is you won't be able compare alot of players. Here, as soon as you finish listing the top ones like Mango,SS,Lucky, Zhu, etc. what are you going to do about the others. The others being HMW, Tofu, Lucien, Kira, Phil. etc.

joeplicate

Smash Master
LMAOOOOOOO!

**** Pac West is hilarious.

Anyway, P... it's just the rankings. Why are people making THAT big of a deal about it. I mean, if you're good, you're good. Who cares where others place you on the list.
agreed, but as you see, a lot of people are getting off on the power aspect, kira, mango especially etc. so if i remove myself from the list then there's no power for them to hold =)

this is a big flop when it's headed by dictator mango. there aren't many unbiased people who play everyone and have decent enough knowledge of the game, so the PR quickly turns into joke status

don't you guys remember the last PR? luigi was 24th for 90% of the list even though he was actually top 10 in socal during the time. that says enough right there.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
I do like the idea of everyone being in one PR, but the problem with that is you won't be able compare alot of players. Here, as soon as you finish listing the top ones like Mango,SS,Lucky, Zhu, etc. what are you going to do about the others. The others being HMW, Tofu, Lucien, Kira, Phil. etc.
I'm not sure I understand. Could you please explain in more detail?

killer tofu

Smash Lord
You can't rate and compare players if they don't play each other enough....
its kinda the reason why there IS a socal and a norcal.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
How big exactly would the PRs be?

I mean, at some point, it is going to become difficult who consistently does better than someone else.

They are called Power Rankings after all - which means that it should be cut-off wherever the abilities of players stop being exemplary/significant or whatnot.

As in, wherever it starts getting vague who is better than who.

Of course I don't mean to have random number everytime - that would have to be agreed upon.

joeplicate

Smash Master
how about if the panelists actually want to make a PR, then they make a new thread on their own time with the standard rules and regulations that all the other PRs had

this thread is accomplishing nothing

Atlus8

Smash Master
How big exactly would the PRs be?

I mean, at some point, it is going to become difficult who consistently does better than someone else.

They are called Power Rankings after all - which means that it should be cut-off wherever the abilities of players stop being exemplary/significant or whatnot.

As in, wherever it starts getting vague who is better than who.

Of course I don't mean to have random number everytime - that would have to be agreed upon.
You're new, so you wouldn't know about the old PR. The cut off was at 20, but I think it was in 07 that they extended it to 25.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
agreed, but as you see, a lot of people are getting off on the power aspect, kira, mango especially etc. so if i remove myself from the list then there's no power for them to hold =)

this is a big flop when it's headed by dictator mango. there aren't many unbiased people who play everyone and have decent enough knowledge of the game, so the PR quickly turns into joke status

don't you guys remember the last PR? luigi was 24th for 90% of the list even though he was actually top 10 in socal during the time. that says enough right there.
dictator mango i like

the way that sounds

=D

edit - pr will be like

top 13 or something

and the reason luigi was 24 is because

they didnt update the rankings
lol

Miztik

Smash Master
I think PR's are Perfect at a Top 10

Top 15 if you have enough players to make it legit

im sure you guys (socal) can use a top 15

Miztik

Smash Master
Norcal and Socal in one list would be dumb and impossible to do

We (Norcal) dont play against Socal enough to have a legit ranking

Plus it would somewhat ruin the rivalry ok not really but still

LOL

DJMirror

Smash Master
LMAOOOOOOO!

**** Pac West is hilarious.

Anyway, P... it's just the rankings. Why are people making THAT big of a deal about it. I mean, if you're good, you're good. Who cares where others place you on the list.
I agree with you man

I guess this is one of the reason why Kira, Zhu, Mango and Atlus was picked as Panelist instead of P or HugS. All four of them are legit and non biased in anyway and mostly respected by everyone. HugS (no offense) But you just came back from playing brawl and just started playing Melee again. I dont doubt about your experiences and Knowledge of the game but you have been gone for awhile so i guess Mango will reconsider once you reach back to Tip top shape with your Samus. as for P...I dont know this guy much, only met this guy once in person so i dont have any right to say this. If this keep going up, this will tear So Cal Melee Community apart plus Melee is coming back and it would suck if we let this happen because of the PR so the best option is not to have a PR at all since i believe everyone knows who's good and who's not...

EDIT - Forget what i just said, I realize what i just posted is meanless, stupid and a piece of **** T___T

DJMirror

Smash Master
lmao, you aren't gonna be a panelist Kevin.
Ouch..**** Connor that the meanest thing i have ever heard from you

(you are welcome to join the club of bashing aznfor- I mean FoA *Force of Azia* =P)

embracethe12

Smash Lord
the real pr will be on crumpled notebook paper written on the back of your english freewrite from the 9th grade. please don't let the ripped corners and the several jagged lines you drew on the corner of your paper hoping you'd turn into pictures later draw away from the fact that this pr is going to be the toughest **** you've ever created. Also do realize that this will not only be on a wall, it'll also be hand selected amongst other PRs and presented to a GOD who will thoroughly grade it on its validity and if it's not up to par we will forsure be crushed into tiny pieces and forced to place our children in glass boxes so when the cartilage grows to bone they will all have square bodies.
_
you teach me and i'll teach you

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
ok so
'the power that's inside'
i would assume the power within ourselves
but does that hint at evolution?
or the passion and skill of the trainer?
and it shows a pokeball opening at this point in the song, so maybe it simply refers to pokemon

Aesis

Smash Ace
i'm gone for two days and the whole reason behind my suggestion is subverted by *****y people complaining about instating the first power rankings list since brawl came out

people say they don't give a sht about the power rankings if so and so isn't on it, well that's fine they can not give a sht and spam the thread about how the power rankings aren't legit, that's their prerogative

sounds like selfishness to me

unless the community completely disagrees with the way the rankings are being handled, the panelists will get better and better at judging and ranking people as time goes on

it's important to get a PR list soon because NO MATTER WHAT, EVEN IF YOU SAY THEY DON'T MEAN ANYTHING, they mean EVERYTHING (exaggeration) to people trying to get on that list

that means lesser skilled, but almost good players will strive to get better and become known by being placed on that list

this effectually creates more competition and ultimately a BETTER COMMUNITY which SOCAL AND NORCAL can get better with

anyone who says otherwise is missing the goddam point
stop being such *****es and if you're unhappy about where you're placed do something about it

aznforce817

Smash Lord
PR's give something players would work towards for. In my opinion it just gives me another reason to become better at the game. To be able to beat good players and other people would know about it. I fully support the idea of this new power ranking system :)

DJMirror

Smash Master
PR's give something players would work towards for. In my opinion it just gives me another reason to become better at the game. To be able to beat good players and other people would know about it. I fully support the idea of this new power ranking system :)
this is like only good post i seen from you =___= but hey i agree with you about the new power ranking system

Top Bottom