• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So yeah. I'm not impressed by Smash Wii U. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senario

Smash Ace
thats the thing... you could do combos but is limited. Only some characters can do decent ones. Not like melee where everyone [i think] got good combos.
It makes me cry with how hard Roy's combos were in melee. T_T. But other than that lol. I'm not too excited for this game, grand finals of smash 4 invitational de-hyped me. Game does not look like it does have good competitive elements and many people have pointed out the flaws with mobility and landing lag. Doesn't need to be stated again.

I hope that Nintendo realizes that the competitive scene is as important as the casual scene. Maybe not from a monetary standpoint (though that is arguable considering we buy a lot of gamecube controllers new lol) but from a good will standpoint when the competitive smash community wants to be part of the game and simply aren't allowed. It seems to me that Nintendo is in support of it but Sakurai is still sticking to his guns of excluding advanced play.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Smash 4 was made for money.
I think Sakurai thought leaving us with a mediocre Wi-Fi mode was enough.
In any case most of the decisions made in Smash 4 were and will be for the hype and maximum sales.

Senario

Smash Ace
Smash 4 was made for money.
I think Sakurai thought leaving us with a mediocre Wi-Fi mode was enough.
In any case most of the decisions made in Smash 4 were and will be for the hype and maximum sales.
I dunnoooo my hype would be off the charts if it showed it allowed competitive play well. I might've actually gotten more copies to get a bunch of people playing, more than what I will do now. Now I'll probably play the game eventually, but there are other things and other games that are far more worth my time.

Oh, it also helps that I organize smash bros at my college's esports club. It would be so great to have a new game to play that is competitive enough. Think like updated games to good franchises like street fighter or marvel. At least for marvel I know mvc2 was the best, but umvc3 is what is played at evo.

Reoyoshi8

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. And from my personal experience of asking friends around me that do NOT play competitively in any way or do NOT watch smash matches on the internet, they prefer the melee physics. And that's after asking over 10 friends who suck at smash. I don't understand why people have the notion that casuals prefer brawl. I played a few 3-4 player free for alls with friends lately in melee and we had a blast, so much laughter and good times. Then there was that other time we played brawl. They got tired after 30 minutes and we played mario kart instead. So Yeah casuals do prefer melee for the most part
Funny, the total opposite can be said at my college. We have a game room with a PS3, Xbox, and a Wii and usually fighting games are being played. I brought Melee and some GameCube controllers and we played about 10 minutes of it before they were asking about Ike and Sonic, we went to Brawl and played it for about a solid hour before I had to go to my next class, I left, came back after class and they were still playing. I'm gonna go ahead and say that this varies from place to place, not all casual prefer Melee.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Can someone please tell me why Sakurai doesn't just use Melee gameplay?
Because it sucks. Hyperbole aside, he doesn't use Melee's gameplay mechanics because he doesn't want to, as a game developer, he is entitled to envision the game (mostly) as he wants and that is something you should respect and accept (unless his visions for the game were very ****ed up, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, quite the opposite, actually). I am glad the Melee gameplay is history, since it by far my least favorite in the whole series. Unlike some of you people, the fact Sm4sh seem to be more similar to Brawl than to Melee, is a reason to commemorate. Thanks for increasing my hype.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
The only worrisome part for me during that whole tournament was the result of a cowardly player using a strategy that slowed down the gameplay significantly, and even given that, HB kept it close by playing aggressively. I honestly think that what Zero pulled today will be less viable once the game is out there and people have opportunities to find counters to it.
The release of this game is bound to start interest in hacking the Wii U, just like Brawl did with the Wii. If we are able to tap into the system's code, we may see a potential Smash 4+.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well just a reminder its a demo version, so yea it may still have some problems from brawl.

I did not play it but juding by how people are playing the demo it does like better than brawl so far.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Just a friendly reminder to those of you who think that this game is a compromise between casual and competitive play that you should stop wearing blind folds. If this game played like 64, even, I would have been ecstatic.

There's literally nothing in this game, thus far, that resembles anything even remotely competitively oriented. For Glory, no tripping, better WiFi, and several Final Destination skins are not what the competitive community wanted. As someone mentioned earlier, being thankful for these sorts of 'gifts' are like being thankful my waiter didn't spit in my food from my last order.

Last edited:

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Coming in with expectations that this game was going to be ANYTHING like Melee or Brawl was only going to set you up for disappointment. Have you learned nothing?

TheKk-47

Smash Apprentice
Because it sucks. Hyperbole aside, he doesn't use Melee's gameplay mechanics because he doesn't want to, as a game developer, he is entitled to envision the game (mostly) as he wants and that is something you should respect and accept (unless his visions for the game were very ****ed up, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, quite the opposite, actually). I am glad the Melee gameplay is history, since it by far my least favorite in the whole series. Unlike some of you people, the fact Sm4sh seem to be more similar to Brawl than to Melee, is a reason to commemorate. Thanks for increasing my hype.
What don't you like about Melee? If you don't like the competition, play with items on or non competitive people. You should read this one guy's comment on that reddit link posted earlier. It does an amazing job of telling us what Brawl and Melee were, and what we need. We shouldn't be toning the game down competitively. Would you force an Olympic swimmer to swim in a 3ft pool with a bunch of kids? No, and that's why you make a pool with a shallow and deep end so both people can be satsified. No one will force you to go to the deep end, or force me to the shallow end. If you want to swim together, either learn how to swim in the deep end, or have me play in shallow end with you. Hopefully you understand this. If not, go to the reddit page because people explain it better.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Like everyone else here, I have a few things to say about Smash 4 and the community response to the invitational. This also applies to the impressed thread.

I'm by definition a casual player. I dabbled a little competitively but I realized I didn't like it but I respect it fully. I like Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, P:M, and Smash 4. That being said, I look at both sides and see amazing potential that we have yet to unlock.

Nothing is wrong with being casual or competitive and both are needed for Smash to continue. Casual players bolster the sales and promotion while competitive players maintain it after casual players move on. Without casual players, the game doesn't sell as well and without competitive players, the game falls into obscurity. Yet I see people calling someone a "tourny***" or "casual" like its a swear word. Like you should be ashamed for falling into those categories. There is nothing constructive or positive with that sort of attitude and further alienates the other fanbases.

If we love this series as much as we profess we do, we must be willing to get along. And before that, we need to understand one another. It's ok to like one game over the other and we should respect this. However, infighting between the community just furthers the divide and breeds hostility.

There is nothing wrong with someone preferring Melee over Brawl. That is just their preference and if you disagree with them; maybe you haven't tried looking at it from thier point of view. By not understanding why they love a particular game, we continue to not understand and communists with each other. Nothing comes from attacking Melee and it's fans or pointing fingers at competitive players. Competitive players are not living in the past for playing Melee or are Brawl players "idiots for playing an inferior game." Failing to see these differences and not respecting them is what is wrong with the community.

We are all one side of the same coin.

As well, this game is still under-development. Many toted Brawl as Melee 2.0. since it had similar mechanics. We all now know it's not. The finished product could be Brawl 2.0., Melee 2.0. Or it's own game which is something I personally prefer. But at least Sakurai is listening to us. Its important to have this game cater to both casual and competitive players and I think this is something SakurI is trying to achieve. It's possible these events were a beta test.

My question to fans of Melee is "Why do you want this to be Melee 2.0.?" If it's everything Melee was but more, Melee runs the risk if falling into obscurity which would be criminal. My advice is to keep it alive. Same goes to those who want a Brawl 2.0. Brawl runs a bigger risk of fading away due to a lack of competitive play. Keep it alive.

Not to mention, it is because of "flaws" that we have great mods like P:M. Just because Smash 4 isn't what you expected or want it to be doesn't mean it's finished. There will sure to be P:M Wii U. Start building that community and lay down the foundations.

The point I'm trying to make is that infighting between those who prefer one game over the other is detrimental to the community and causes division without communication. That us why SSBM vs SSBB threads are not allowed. This will be sure to be extended to include both versions of Smash 4. My second point is to continue to play the version you prefer and strengthen that community. Establish communication with fans of the other games. Finally, this is just the demo and Nintendo/Sakurai is listening and, IMO, the Invitational was a prime example of this especially since there has been an outpouring of responses from the invitational and demo.

My number one priority will always be this great community so let's work together to strengthen it and make it truly something to be proud of. That's my two cents.

Ulevo

Smash Master
As well, this game is still under-development. Many toted Brawl as Melee 2.0. since it had similar mechanics. We all now know it's not. The finished product could be Brawl 2.0., Melee 2.0. Or it's own game which is something I personally prefer. But at least Sakurai is listening to us. Its important to have this game cater to both casual and competitive players and I think this is something SakurI is trying to achieve. It's possible these events were a beta test.
That's the thing. Sakurai isn't listening to us. What makes you believe otherwise? Because he removed tripping, a mechanic that no one, not even the casual demographic, liked or appreciated? Because they have improved WiFi, something that should have been given, not requested, and wasn't properly delivered in Brawl when Mario Kart Wii's online was fine? That he gave us For Glory, a mere extension of the options that should have been available in WiFi previously, that cater to all players?

The proof is definitely not in the pudding. He's said in interviews the speed is more in between Melee and Brawl, and this is a gross overrepresentation. It's wrong. I explained already as to why, because all the elements for a fast game are not there.

You think him hosting a tournament made the difference? The tournament wasn't his doing, and the tournament was a joke. It was a means to advertise, and it was Nintendo's idea, not the development team. We had players in crowd booing, grand finals coming down to time, and commentators struggling to find things to commentate on appropriately. If they weren't personally invited by Nintendo, live on Twitch TV, and put in to an awkward position where they had to watch what they said, you'd most likely hear what they really have to tell you, and what their thoughts were.

I see nothing. Nothing. That tells me that Sakurai is listening attentively to our portion of his games player base.

My question to fans of Melee is "Why do you want this to be Melee 2.0.?" If it's everything Melee was but more, Melee runs the risk if falling into obscurity which would be criminal. My advice is to keep it alive. Same goes to those who want a Brawl 2.0. Brawl runs a bigger risk of fading away due to a lack of competitive play. Keep it alive.
Except we don't want to hold on to the past because we have no future. That's not a position anyone wants to be in. The reason the Melee community has held so strong for so long is because they had to. Where was their alternative? Oh right, they had to make their own.

You ask people why they wanted Melee 2.0. People don't like touching this with a 10 foot pole because people like to be accommodating for the sake of not being labeled as a Melee elitist, but the truth of the matter is that there would have been nothing wrong with Melee 2.0. You take out perceived "glitches" like Wavedashing, and the game still would have been fantastic with updated graphics, new music, new stages, new characters. Most people would have loved it.

Not to mention, it is because of "flaws" that we have great mods like P:M. Just because Smash 4 isn't what you expected or want it to be doesn't mean it's finished. There will sure to be P:M Wii U. Start building that community and lay down the foundations.
Yeah, that's great. Meanwhile we'll have Melee at EVO again because our modded Smash for the Wii U won't be accepted as a tournament title.

The point I'm trying to make is that infighting between those who prefer one game over the other is detrimental to the community and causes division without communication. That us why SSBM vs SSBB threads are not allowed. This will be sure to be extended to include both versions of Smash 4. My second point is to continue to play the version you prefer and strengthen that community. Establish communication with fans of the other games. Finally, this is just the demo and Nintendo/Sakurai is listening and, IMO, the Invitational was a prime example of this especially since there has been an outpouring of responses from the invitational and demo.
I don't see any value in Nintendo asking for advice from players when the 3DS launches in 3 months, and the Wii U in 5 or less. That's a very cute way for them to establish rapport with their players without actually doing anything meaningful. People will continue to play Melee, but this is not the future for Smash we had hoped for. It's very disheartening, and you need to really understand why. No one. No one. Is going to play Brawl after Smash Wii U comes out. I don't blame them. But people are going to still be playing Melee, and you need to question why that's happening, and what's wrong with that picture. And for those of you reading that will take a stab at this last part, it's not because they're "Melee elitists" either.

My number one priority will always be this great community so let's work together to strengthen it and make it truly something to be proud of. That's my two cents.
Great communities stem from great games. That's my two cents.

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Respect why each other loves the game we do is important. I agree. Melee people love melee because the physics and game play are deeper and more intricate. Brawl people love brawl because of the added features like characters and things like that and because it is more player friendly. That is fine.

And hey I'll be the first to download a PM Wii U if they make one and I hope they do. The fact is though PM can't get into events like MLG and EVO and every second PM people fear the nintendo will shut them down. That's no way to play a game. Where you are always wondering if this is the last event that will be allowed to have your game. No I'm sorry but relying on a mod when the mod shouldn't be necessary in the first place is just plain wrong.

The smash wii U developers should see the popularity of brawl mods and see that there must be something wrong with the original to spark such an interest in changing it. So instead of trying to fix what people said was wrong with brawl they go and remake brawl. Then people wonder why some are disappointed and are complaining.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Can someone please post links of the several posts from other members of these supposed feedback sessions Sakurai is listening to? How about links to testimonials of interviews of players from the invitational. Better yet, someone make a thread will all these links listed. I see a lot of people talking about them but no one providing liks.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
My question to fans of Melee is "Why do you want this to be Melee 2.0.?"
I liked your post up until this line.

People complaining about a game looking like "Brawl 2.0" =/= people want "Melee 2.0". Project M satisfies any Melee player's fanboy-fantasy of "Melee 2.0" or whatever.

To quote someone on Reddit, Melee players want to like this game. However, it gets pretty hard when you see Kirby get camped out during Grand Finals or learn that things such as dashing and combos are "questionable"

Asdfchris

Smash Rookie
To all the people that are afraid or pleased because the demo have similar mechanics to brawl, I have to warn you about one thing.

The last playable demo of mario kart 8 had a game engine very similar to mario kart 7, but when the final game was released it was a totally different game.
Just wanted to point out that it might be the same case.

Last edited:

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
To all the people that are afraid of pleased that because the demo have similar mechanics to brawl, I have one thing to warn you.

The last playable demo of mario kart 8 had a game engine very similar to mario kart 7, but when the final game was released it was a totally different game.
Just wanted to point out that it might be the same case.
Yes. My hope is that this demo Was put together Just for this event using a recycled brawl engine instead of the real one. That would be fine as long as the real one is actually good.

From what you said and what people said about the brawl demo this might in fact be the case.

Last edited:

Mooplet

Smash Journeyman
All I know is that Brawl disappointed me more than any game release ever, including the D3 launch- so what I'm going with this time is to assume SSB4 will be crap for competitive play and then be delightfully surprised if it's playable!

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm loving everything I'm seeing so far. I think people need to stop getting on with this Melee 2.0 and Brawl 2.0 shenanigans though. It is a new game. It is still in production. It is going to be neither Melee or Brawl it will be a new Smash Bros. It will play and feel as different from Smash 64 did from Melee and Melee did from Brawl. People need to stop pining over it being a duplicate of one or the other. It is a brand new Smash Bros. Wait till it comes out try it and then form an opinion. Don't just immediately hate. Sakurai is not making Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0 he's making a new smash bros. People need to stop expecting this game to be one or the other and enjoy it for what it is.

Posted this over in the other So yeah thread as well but I figured it was worth saying here too.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I see nothing. Nothing. That tells me that Sakurai is listening attentively to our portion of his games player base.
Apologies for cherry picking, but you DO understand how grossly, infinitesimally small the userbase of Smashboards is compared to the number of people who are planning on buying and playing this game is, right? Furthermore, they don't need to cater to everything the "Fox Only, Final Destination" crowd says to make a great game, which is what Smash 4 is looking to be.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Please avoid making threads of this nature. While your opinion is free to be expressed, making threads specifically for them tends to create flamewars, which is detrimental to discussion. Thank You.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom