• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... why do so many Ness users hate Lucas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
I like both Ness and Lucas, but I associate with Nessticles more because they are cooler than Lucas users.

The good side of liking both characters is that I actually can play other characters (when I can't decide between either Ness or Lucas, I just play as someone else, like Pika or Wolf or Jiggs). I've once said that I main Pika Thunder (Pikachu, Ness, Lucas), but I'm really not sure if I can say that I main anyone right now...

EDIT: btw, I've never doubted that Ness was in Brawl. I always knew he would be in, no matter what Sakurai said.

"...up until now" lol Sakurai, you prankster.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
The people i play with at first was like ness sucks hes gonna be low tier. lucas is like 4 times better. iwas like are you crazy and baired them to there deaths

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Because nobody respects Luigi enough to hate him.

Also, I'm against Lucas because of that horrible period where people were 120% certain Ness was out and started jumping ship to join the Lucas team. Also, Lucas is a scaredy whiny ***** and I'm a hateful person.
Don't you EVER diss Luigi you whiny *****. Im sick of your stupidity and love for Ness. Like you want to make out with him. I like Ness a little bit more than Lucas because I know him...
Im warning you, one more crack about Luigi and I'll take Ness's bat and shove it up your *** hit you with it ******* **** *********************

Don't diss Lucas or Luigi K, mr I love Ness.

I bet you didn't even play Mother 3, you call yourself and Earthbound fan!

Wardub

Smash Cadet
Don't you EVER diss Luigi you whiny *****. Im sick of your stupidity and love for Ness. Like you want to make out with him. I like Ness a little bit more than Lucas because I know him...
Im warning you, one more crack about Luigi and I'll take Ness's bat and shove it up your *** hit you with it ******* **** *********************

Don't diss Lucas or Luigi K, mr I love Ness.

I bet you didn't even play Mother 3, you call yourself and Earthbound fan!
I haven't played Mother 3 and I am a huge Mother/Earthbound fan. Half the fun of Mother games is the humor, I always read all of the sprites and signs. Frankly I don't see the point in playing the game if you can't understand the language.

Also, Reported. Don't talk like that around here. I keep getting an error when trying to report I think. So I recommend someone else report him as well. Thanks.

N355

Smash Apprentice
I dont like the way lucas feels in game. I like some of his moves but I like ness's better. For example forward a, I prefer ness. Lucas's advantage is power. I also don't want to main two characters that are similar, I'd rather just stick with ness. Also, ness was in 64 and melee and I mained him in melee. I'm not going to desert him for Lucas a newcomer.

Nintenbro

Smash Rookie
I hate Lucas because hes an excuse for n00bs to not get good with Ness. Like a 3 year old can play Lucas while you need skill to play Ness.

GenisSage

Smash Cadet
I myself use both Ness and Lucas. I was one that was certain that Ness would resurface in Brawl. I have no hate toward any of them. Besides both Ness and Lucas are from the same series fighting same enemies. I say that all Ness fans should be Lucas fans and vice versa.

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
It seems as though some people are taking a great dislike to some of the new characters because they're more popular and much more talked about than the veterans. The game has just been released, so I'm sure that the hype for these characters will shift up and down over the next year or so.

Wardub

Smash Cadet
I can't figure out why people are saying "If you like Ness you should like Lucas". What do you care? We don't have to like both, stop telling us that we have to or should. Lucas is a little weak impostor who will never live up to the legacy that is Ness.

Rocketface Normus

Smash Rookie
Lucas just plain annoys me, mostly because of his hair and whiny voice. Also, it just gets me so mad every time someone calls Ness a clone of Lucas. My biggest problem is when a good old-fashioned Ness player mains Lucas because "Ness is good but Lucas is much more awesomeness." (Some idiot actually said that!). At least Ness won't be the new noob character that everyone decides to play as, though it seems Lucas has already become that.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
I haven't played Mother 3 and I am a huge Mother/Earthbound fan. Half the fun of Mother games is the humor, I always read all of the sprites and signs. Frankly I don't see the point in playing the game if you can't understand the language.

Also, Reported. Don't talk like that around here. I keep getting an error when trying to report I think. So I recommend someone else report him as well. Thanks.
I was talking about Ademisk, your cool Wardub.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
People are always talking about me. I'm cool that way.

Now let me make 2 points.

A: It's common knowledge, and is in fact a running joke in just about every Mario game released in the last 10 years, that nobody respects Luigi. He's like a tall skinny Rodney Dangerfield. It's a fact that nobody, especially so in-game, respects Luigi. I like Luigi.

B: Nobody who's played Mother 3 without a full top quality translation patch is a true Mother fan. I refuse to play the game, or find anything out about it, until I can enjoy it in its full glory, not having to read over a %$^ing Gamefaqs translation guide every other minute.

C: You have issues. Get therapy.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
If you like Ness, you should hate Lucas.
PFFF.

You make me laugh.

They're from the same frikkin game series. That's like saying if you like Cloud you should hate Tidus, or if you like Link you should hate Toon Link.

And besides, now that I've finally got Brawl and have played both characters, I can say that you're missing out if you don't use both Lucas and Ness as a single character to deal with different opponents.

Besides, Lucas has more personality than Ness. And he's also a new character which automatically makes him like a breath of fresh air for someone like me who's mained Ness since SSB64. Hair, etc.

NKCell

Smash Cadet
I've never played a Mother/Eartherbound game (but still think Ness is god)... get over it.

I'm not a big fan of Lucas because of what everyone has said. Lucas is the 'new kid' so is receiving all the limelight. He's "So much better" than Ness, who got nerfed to high hell in Melee. His Psi Magnet is much better than Ness' and his stick shouldn't be that good (or Ness' should be better).

That being said, I've tried Lucas, numerous times, and have found that I'm terrible with him but awesome with Ness. So, I'll just be content with spiking and destroying the little usurper everytime he gets picked.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I agree with NESSBOUNDER.
But, I still like Ness a bit more

So from what Ive gotten, apparently, these are the main reasons for Lucas hatred.

1. The flame war before Ness' announcement (He's not deserving, Lucas is so much cooler, Ness is old, etc.)
2. Lucas' may outshine Ness
3. Lucas' is "easier" to pick up which people use to get away from Ness
4. Lucas' subspace role
5. Lucas' character
6. Ness' gameplay is more suitable or vice versa

So apparently, more people hate him other than because of how Lucas plays :(

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
I just dislike Lucas, first off, for being Ness' replacement for such a long time before that image leaked with the tiny sprite of Ness' head on it. What really was annoying how people thought Ness would be out because of how bad he was in Melee. Secondly, people would say that Sakurai said no clones, which he didn't, and used that against Ness fans. I actually got into a debate with people regarding Ness' inclusion, which was in the link below, if you care. You'll find me, as in Tomato, in there somewhere.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32197/t733954-ness/

Lucas also sucks in SSE, for running away from Wario, after Ness saved him. >_> Though in-game, I actually do like Lucas for some things, namely his Up Smash, the speed of PK Freezeand that PK Fire stays straight in air.

Though Ness is definitely better, and my preferred character.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
People are always talking about me. I'm cool that way.

Now let me make 2 points.

A: It's common knowledge, and is in fact a running joke in just about every Mario game released in the last 10 years, that nobody respects Luigi. He's like a tall skinny Rodney Dangerfield. It's a fact that nobody, especially so in-game, respects Luigi. I like Luigi.

B: Nobody who's played Mother 3 without a full top quality translation patch is a true Mother fan. I refuse to play the game, or find anything out about it, until I can enjoy it in its full glory, not having to read over a %$^ing Gamefaqs translation guide every other minute.

C: You have issues. Get therapy.
I have issues? Whos the one who keeps saying Ness is can beat X character when you havent even played against a decent user of said character. You also dislike Luigi because any true Luigi fan wont start of with, no one likes Luigi! Plenty of people do. Lucas is cool character, with a cool dog, a thief friend and a princess. He has to face Pokey again (From EB) and has to see many people he loves, die. Frankly their both cool. Ness for just being badass that the only way he can speak is by speaking to himself, and Lucas being able to speak in his game to other people (When your not playing as him)

yes I agree, I hate Ness haters. I hate Lucas noobs who think Usmash is the best, but I also hate people like you who blow up on people.

Again, a true fan would do something (Tomato) I true fan would be playing Mother 3, and a true fan can like all characters, and not hate one character, simply because everyone likes him more than your preferred character.

Tomato, good luck on that patch!

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
I think I should rephrase what I had said. I dislike people who doubted Ness' inclusion in Brawl, and only like Lucas because he's 'cooler' than Ness. I do like playing as Lucas, but I like Ness more, for a variety of reasons.

Haha, I doubt I'll be making that patch anytime soon. Way too lazy, and have no will to.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
The main reason I don`t like Lucas is because he took away Ness` uniqueness as a character. Peoples B moves are what make them unique because there specials, and all of Lucases were copied from Ness. If he had different B moves i`d be just fine with him, but until then i`ll continue to hate him.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lol @ B moves making a character unique. Havn't you seen Wolf yet?

Also, it seems to me a lot of people just need to start playing the right game. A lot of you are still playing Super Smash Bros BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWl.

I actually had trouble adjusting to Ness in Brawl, which had to be a bad omen since I've mained him since SSB64. But Lucas on the other hand came almost totall naturally the first time I played as him.

Having said that though, my friend insists that Ness is still my best character, although I certainly don't feel that way. But I just LOVE the yo-yos. I just LOVE Pk Flash. I just LOVE his PK Thunder2 and PK Fire and I just LOVE his back throw.

But I also Love Lucas's PK Thunder, PSI Magnet, up smash, down smash (yeass!!), stick reflector and Dair.

You stubbourn lot don't know what you're missing both ways.

Oh yes, and nobody at the Lucas boards hates Ness. Doesn't that make you feel bad? huh? huh?

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Maybe i should clearify what i meant NESSBOUNDER, I mean there B moves usually make the character unique, because it is there recovery move, projectiles (if they have any), and moves that have special effects, like in ness`case recovers health. Up until lucas ,ness was the only character who could recover damage, likewise ness was the only character with a recovery move that involved hitting yourself with a projectile. So im mad bcuz lucas made it so ness wasn`t unique in those aspects anymore.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I have issues? Whos the one who keeps saying Ness is can beat X character when you havent even played against a decent user of said character. You also dislike Luigi because any true Luigi fan wont start of with, no one likes Luigi! Plenty of people do. Lucas is cool character, with a cool dog, a thief friend and a princess. He has to face Pokey again (From EB) and has to see many people he loves, die. Frankly their both cool. Ness for just being badass that the only way he can speak is by speaking to himself, and Lucas being able to speak in his game to other people (When your not playing as him)

yes I agree, I hate Ness haters. I hate Lucas noobs who think Usmash is the best, but I also hate people like you who blow up on people.

Again, a true fan would do something (Tomato) I true fan would be playing Mother 3, and a true fan can like all characters, and not hate one character, simply because everyone likes him more than your preferred character.

Tomato, good luck on that patch!

I just hate Lucas because he looks and acts stupid.

And I happen to be giving opinions based on people I've fought so far and what I've found out from those encounters. So you're saying I have issues because I have opinions?

And...who's the person who's blowing up on people? Not me. (Psst, its you).

Also, nice job coming up with a brilliant insult, I'm not a true fan? Man that bites. I guess the past 13 years I've been playing this game just quite didn't make a true fan. No, I didn't play Ness in Melee competitively, and I'm not holding off on a game I really want to play just so I can play it in its highest level of quality. I'm just...not a true fan *sniffle*

LynxRunner

Smash Rookie
Just as other people said. I don't "hate" Lucas, but I really dislike when a lot of people during that time said they were 100% sure that Ness was going to be replaced by Lucas. It was almost as if they wanted Ness to be replaced by Lucas and they also hoped that Claus would be in.

I still looked at the Claus thread http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=125417 and saw how much certain members hated Ness so much it made me scared.

I honestly think that Ness lovers have a right to be a little sensitive over their character and the overzealous Lucas/Claus lovers who ernestly wanted Ness to be replaced and never seen again.

Agreed.

I also don't like that Sakurai seems like he was 'infected' too by the Ness hate and purposely made Lucas do everything better than Ness does. Had Sakurai acted responsibly, he would have quickly put an end to a growingly bad situation and immediately announced Ness was returning.

Sakurai didn't plan the updates, Nintendo did. Also, it would be silly for him to announce a non-3rd party hidden character just to please some fans.

If anyone, IMHO and no offense to anyone else, I thought the Lucas people hated the Ness people and not the other way around. It's not that we hate Lucas or his fans (Ademisk, no you don't hate Lucas or his fans)... it is just that we are sensitive over the hate and have no choice but to react defensively sometimes. It is similar to how certain groups like Jews or African-Americans get angry when someone bashes their culture, religion, or race. They do have a right to feel in a sense sensitive over the situation.

...You are comparing people who have actually been persecuted to fans of Ness who were, at most, insulted over the internet? Can't say I'm in agreement to this.

What I didn't like was how Sakurai took out MOTHER 2 music out of Brawl, as if to spite MOTHER 2 and Ness but keep Lucas's MOTHER 3 music. I do not know the reason why Nintendo or Sakurai decided to take out MOTHER 2 music, but if it was just to 'spite' Ness players that that is immature. If anything, I could have said that Sakurai's decision not to intervene in the matter was very highly unprofessional, and that is why I hope Sakurai is either criticized for his actions on the matter or steps down from making any further SSBB games to someone whom can make more level-headed decisions.

The purpose of making SSBB is this: make money. Now tell me: which game is more popular, recent, and wanted amongst the Earthbound series? Mother 3! It makes sense to replace the Earthbound music with music from the newer installments, just like how Roy was 'replaced' by Ike. Music from the newer Mother 3 would appeal to a wider audience and therefore, make more money. Tada. Then there's the simple matter of 'The Developers didn't like the music'. Look at this from a company's point of veiw, please.

I personally find this whole idea that Lucas/Claus MUST replace Ness detestable. I personally would have liked them to be both in, and get along as long as one character isn't 100% better than one another. Just like I would like Isaac and Felix to both get in too, or some other group.

As do I.

Perhaps it would be in Sakurai's best interest if he could at least learn from his irresponsibility and put MOTHER 2 music back in Brawl and at least buff Ness somewhat in an online patch.

what the george? Irresponsibility? Irresponsable would be leaving the game full of glitches and very unbalanced (we call this the first Smash Bros.). Irresponsable is not removing music because one dislikes it and there is newer, more appealing music available. I'm pretty sure that the developers didn't mean to make Ness so inferior to Lucas; they were balancing the game and if they went a bit overboard, they didn't notice. Remember they don't play the game as competitively as some people do. The decision to weaken some of Ness' attacks may have made sense to them.

I hope not to offend anyone. I just hope to say that Ness players are not hateful or evil or anything, it is just we've been traumatized and do have a right to be sensitive after the hate happened against our favorite character in favor of Lucas/Claus. If anything I personally feel we are the victim.

A bit melodramatic here eh? I still agree. The Ness hate on GameFAQs was...astounding, to say the least.
Lucas is quite overrated (personally I blame the rabid Mother 3 fans. They scare me.), but it's not his fault. Many people look down on his because of the SSE and running away from Wario. Let's face it - most people would run away too.

However, Lucas is overrun with glitches (zap jump and b-stickign wtf?) and I LOVE GLITCHES. Plus, he's fun to use as. Ness and Yoshi (mainly Yoshi) are my serious guys; Lucas is my mess-around back-up guy. Hate his voice, though.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Yes you do. In fact everytime people had a comparison, you would say Ness is better.

Random User: Hey whats better the stick or the bat.

You: Ness! His bat is stronger, better reach, more knockback. Lucas` bat only has more speed. FALSE

Random User 2: Who runs faster Ness or Lucas.

You: Ness!

I could go on and on. Face it, you hate Lucas. Thats not my real problem. My real problem is the way you make yourself the authority on this board.

Random User: Help I can`t beat X user.

You: You suck, your friend/Brother is better. Ness beats 75% of people in this game blah blah blah.

Your advice wasn`t even that good either.
You should take example of Aevin,Nessbounder,NessOnett... They don`t flame the hell out of people.

PS: Play Mother 3. It`s fun, and all that subtext hidden into EB is still there. Oh and if you believe in a certain secret, then you can believe that Ness is in Mother 3... Also TRY to play as Lucas.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
No, Lucas is stupid.

Also, the game just came out, I can't help it if I'm given false info.

Ness's bat is stronger, has better reach, and does more knockback. It's all on the tipper though.

And I didn't say you suck, I said your problem wasn't with Wario, it was with your brother.

I AM the authority on this board. It's a curse, I'm just too good.

Also, you're annoying. I'm gonna stop responding to you.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Yo Ademisk! Download the menu patch! I did THANKS TOMATO! It really helps me out!
At least try to play Mother 3 before you bash Lucas fans.

But It`s true, I hate Lucas fans who have never played Mother 2 OR 3.

AA-Abderian

Smash Cadet
I dont persay hate Claus but me and my roommate certainly do have a good rivalry going on. He uses claus and I use Ninten. Also I feel like the average smasher will consider Claus the better character which is not necessarily true just because claus has an easier learning curve.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I like both Claus and Lucas

But I like Ninten better ;)

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
SERIOUSLY!!! WTF!!!! I AM GETTING ******* PISSED!!!!! JUST SAY NESS AND LUCAS NOT NINTEN AND CLAUS!!!!!! WTF DID I MISS THIS IS PISSING ME OFF!!!!!!!!

:grrr:

wait... wtf? why does it change what you type?

soooo...
pit
fox
Zero Suit Samus
wolf
Ice Climbers
Zelda
falco
donkey kong

is there some kind of hacker cuz this really sucks...

Levitas

the moon
lol, I thought my fingers spazzed in the lucas boards due to the anagram nature of their names. good tim es.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom