• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... why do so many Ness users hate Lucas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercake

Smash Apprentice
Ok this might start huge war but here goes..

countdown why lucas is cooler than ness:

10. Lucas is high tier! Sakurai himself said Lucas has more potential!
9. Ness is only middle tier!
8.Lucas has a clause outfit
7. the lucas board is more active
6.ness is a carbon copy of ninten.
5.Lucas is not a mute.
4.better taunts than ness' semi ******** "oK"
3.glitchyest character in the game
2. its the hairdo
1. Lucas has a longer snake :D

make no mistake mother is a fantastic underrated series and I was a ness mainer in ssb and melee and il still use him a lot in brawl but sometimes you got to know when the tide is changing to greener pastures. i come in peace ness mainers and maybe il see you on wifi sometime il be glad to introduce you to my lucas.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Tires don exits! Tiers are also famous for fickle flip-flopping (wow, alliteration). And keep in mind that Sakurai also hinted that Ness wouldn't be in Brawl.
supercake said:
You should have combined this with number ten. You know, for greater effectiveness.
supercake said:
Who's Claus?
supercake said:
Does that have anything to do with the actual character Lucas? It could be just hype.
supercake said:
Uh, what?
supercake said:
5.Lucas is not a mute.
Neither is Ness, mind you.
supercake said:
Since when do taunts define a character's value? I have a dream that there will come a day when all characters will be judged not by their taunts, but according to the content of their character.
supercake said:
That's a bold statement to make less than a month into the game's release.
supercake said:
2. its the hairdo
The hair is quite spiffy, but once again, I have a dream.
supercake said:
That may be, but Lucas is also afflicted by serpentile dysfunction (his snake is mighty slow).

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
I only hate Lucas because he screams like a sissy-mary whenever he gets KO'd. Besides that, Ness's PK Flash is infinitely better than Lucas's PK Freeze. In many cases, it can turn into a one-hit KO! And no matter how much damage your opponent has or how much you charge it up, it has incredible knockback!

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I haven't played Mother 3 yet, but, at least in Brawl, Lucas is a wimpy scronny kid who doesn't know how to smile and be cool.

Ness has so much more charisma. Use fsmash and pause it, and look at how happy Ness is. A happy Ness is a happy me.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yo Ademisk! Download the menu patch! I did THANKS TOMATO! It really helps me out!
At least try to play Mother 3 before you bash Lucas fans.

But It`s true, I hate Lucas fans who have never played Mother 2 OR 3.
What, you hate me? What'd I ever do to you?

;_;

That's it, I'm going to hide in my ultimate safety container.

I now have Brawl by the way, and Ness is great, but I find Lucas agrees with my playing style more. Which is weird, because in Melee I always played a defensive, campy Ness as opposed to everyone else playing a super offensive Ness. I play them both like one character.

I just loooooove the new PK Flash.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Menu patch is gay. Can't talk to NPCs or enjoy anything without reading a freaking Gamefaqs translation guide. What kind of fan can't wait a few months for a proper translation patch? Also, Lucas is gay, but Lucas fans are worse.

Conda

The english patch is apparently almost done. I haven't tried it in it's current state, but ive seen vids and it looks fine so far. Just gotta wait until I can play mother 3.

It's supposed to be a better game and have a better story than Mother 2, and Lucas is supposed to be a more fleshed out character.

All I know is that, in brawl, Lucas is a wimp. Until I play mother 3 and gain some respect for the kid, that won't change. :p

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Being a wimp makes him MORE respectable. It makes him more human. Anybody who's played Earthbound knows that Ness is a soulless robot who's permanently set to destroy mode. Nothing can phase him, and his father is a telephone! If you hit Lucas on the head with a rock, he'll cry a little. That makes him adorable. Ness would just rotate his head 360 degrees and vaporise you with ancient Egyptian eye-lasers.

csir

Smash Apprentice
The first week I bought brawl.. I used Lucas because Ness felt so weird.. Then I started using Ness.. Got use to him alot more, and now I'm pretty good with him.. With Lucas I'm only good when I spam his Smash attacks. With Ness I use more combos, and he's alot more fun to play with.. well to me that is

Also
Ness 'PK fire>
Lucas' Smash attacks>
Ness' Throws>
Lucas' Recovery>
Ness in SSE>

So Ness wins

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ness in SSE is subjective. Personally I was very annoyed that he spent most of the entire story as a trophy, while Lucas got something reminiscent of character development and teamed up with PT.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
What, you hate me? What'd I ever do to you?

;_;

That's it, I'm going to hide in my ultimate safety container.

I now have Brawl by the way, and Ness is great, but I find Lucas agrees with my playing style more. Which is weird, because in Melee I always played a defensive, campy Ness as opposed to everyone else playing a super offensive Ness. I play them both like one character.

I just loooooove the new PK Flash.
Your not ademisk.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Ok this might start huge war but here goes..

countdown why lucas is cooler than ness:

5.Lucas is not a mute.
2. its the hairdo

make no mistake mother is a fantastic underrated series and I was a ness mainer in ssb and melee and il still use him a lot in brawl but sometimes you got to know when the tide is changing to greener pastures. i come in peace ness mainers and maybe il see you on wifi sometime il be glad to introduce you to my lucas.
Geez, let me guess your a noob right? You think your good? Why don't you watch vids of good Ness players,(ademisk,Simna if he plays Brawl, Ness Bounder, NessOnett...) before you speak.

10. Lucas and Ness are both High tier and are equal (One is Amazing in the air one is good on the ground, can you tell me which one is which)

9. See above

8. Ness has a Fuel outfit, AND a badass Mr Saturn T shirt with backback.

7. Only because Lucas was announced first

6. Proof that your aren't are Mother fan. Play the games! Aside from looks and psi they are different. Different goals, different friends, different items...

5. Sigh, you didn't beat Earthbound did you? Ness talks to himself in Magicant.

4. Oh so falling on you *** is cool?

3. True.

2. No.

1. Im not even going to go there.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Being a wimp makes him MORE respectable. It makes him more human. Anybody who's played Earthbound knows that Ness is a soulless robot who's permanently set to destroy mode. Nothing can phase him, and his father is a telephone! If you hit Lucas on the head with a rock, he'll cry a little. That makes him adorable. Ness would just rotate his head 360 degrees and vaporise you with ancient Egyptian eye-lasers.
You get to here what he has to say in Magicant, thats something right?

And the menu patch is fine, as Long as I can do spells Im fine.

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
At first i was "OMG Lucas is f'ing awesome, the greates hair eva, much bette then ness."
Then i stardet playing as ness in melee, just to make myself ready for lucas... and i loved him! i never really loved ness untill that day. now i have just forgotten all about lucas, and cant wait to see how ness has changed. Although i never liked his jojo... im still gonna use him more then lucas...
i dont hate lucas though.
ness = my 2nd main in melee ;p

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Smash Bros 7 just won the n00b destroyer award!
Great job man.

And csir, I disagree with the smashes going to Lucas. IMO, they are even. At first Lucas' seem better, but here's my view.

Usmash
Both
Ness' has insane speed and good overall range. It lays out in front of him as it charges. This blocks projectiles or pops up enemies who underestimate its charge time (trust me, there are a LOT of people like this). Great for doing out of shield and dash and sets people up on Ness' field of play: The air.
Unfortunately, it doesnt KO, and used incorrectly could lead to popping the enemy up with the charge, but not hitting them with the backswing leading to an aerial in your face.

Lucas' has brute force and insane range. Kills in the 70s and can hit VERY high over Lucas. Pretty much impossible to hit Lucas from above with this in his arsenal. Also, its long duration makes it impossible to airdodge or spotdodge. Sadly, this smash is EXTREMELY slow making it highly difficult to hit with and unsuitable for using out of shield and dash.

Fsmash
Lucas
Ness' is more damaging and has higher knockback. But its slow and only excels when sweespotted. Also, even when sweetspotted, its knockback is not THAT much higher than Lucas' stick. It also has a tad less range.

Lucas' is fast and almost as powerful as a tipper bat. No sweetspot meaning that you can hit with it however you like and still get satisfying knockback. It even has a bit more range on it. It does less damage and knockback than a tipper bat, but the knockback difference is minor. The damage however is pretty noticable.

Dsmash
Ness
This iswhere people think Im crazy. Ness' dsmash has mindgames written all over it. Mixed in the the usmash, its hard to tell if the Ness player will decide to hit in front of him, or behind him since both moves cover one side first then the next. When used uncharged, it pops enemies into the air. If you do charge it, like the usmash, it acts like a shield and unaware foes will hit it undersetimating the duration. It doesnt work as well asthe usmash charged since the charge hit sends them a bit high, but if they dont see it coming (which they often dont) they will be in range of the second hit. Its more lacking in KO ability compared to Lucas dsmash, but it KOs MUCH better than a usmash (Ness' I mean). And again, improper use of the charge hit leads to an aerial attack.

Lucas' dsmash is powerful with long duration. This makes it impossible to spot dodge. It also has multiple strong hits. Its even associated with good range beneath Lucas. This move however, has a poor ability to hit behind him, doing meager knockback and damage late in the move using a VERy small range hitbox. Face it; hitting behind yourself with this move is pointless. It also seems to me like a fsmash. There is hardly an opportunity in which I needed the dsmash over the fsmash making it feel obsolete. Kinda punishable too, and has less duration in one place as Ness charged dsmash.

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
Geez, let me guess your a noob right? You think your good? Why don't you watch vids of good Ness players,(ademisk,Simna if he plays Brawl, Ness Bounder, NessOnett...) before you speak.

10. Lucas and Ness are both High tier and are equal (One is Amazing in the air one is good on the ground, can you tell me which one is which)

9. See above

8. Ness has a Fuel outfit, AND a badass Mr Saturn T shirt with backback.

7. Only because Lucas was announced first

6. Proof that your aren't are Mother fan. Play the games! Aside from looks and psi they are different. Different goals, different friends, different items...

5. Sigh, you didn't beat Earthbound did you? Ness talks to himself in Magicant.

4. Oh so falling on you *** is cool?

3. True.

2. No.

1. Im not even going to go there.
i've played Earthbound very recently, so where is Magicant again? Is it after Fourside?

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Magicant is near the end after all the sanctuaries. And you hear
Ness's thoughts in Lumine hall.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
I have the dialogue here:

I'm Ness... It's been a long road getting here... Soon, I'll be... Soon, I'll
be... Soon, I'll be... What will happen to us? W...what's happening? My
thoughts are being written out on the wall... or are they?

This suggests curiosity and maybe some fear of what will happen in the future.

You may have cursed this never-
ending journey.
You have known
injury and defeat, but you have
struggled on to reach this place
This may have come from
a faceless being made from drunkenness(tea/coffee/alcohol(JP)
, but its something right?

'(Ness heard a familiar voice at the center of the Sea of Eden.)
'Giygas' goal is to destroy you.
'Listen carefully!
'Everything in the universe could be destroyed at the hands of Giygas.
'But he and his followers are also in trouble.
'The Apple of Enlightenment has foretold
'that Giygas' attempt will fail.
'It is because of the existence of a boy named Ness.
'...That's me!
'Listen.
'Free your mind and KNOW what you must do!
'Your destiny has already been decided.
'You... I... where should we go?
'You know feep within the reaches of your mind.
'...S ...Sat... ...Saturn
'.....
'Saturn Valley... yes...
'Go to the valley where the Mr. Saturn live.
'...You'll get something new there.
'Soon, Magicant will be no more. We must be quick!
'(Ness really heard his own voice.
'Go to Saturn Valley!
'Go to Saturn Valley now!
)

A tone of rushing and maybe some desperation.

To answer the question, Ness is a average kid braver than most. Him getting homesick a lot could suggest that he was probably reluctant to leave home in the first place, but with everyone constantly pushing the "its your destiny" on him, he probably didn't have much of a choice since Giygas's influence was starting to spread. But he struggled on constantly fighting to reach the end.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Its because lucas is more of a noob character than ness. Ness takes alot more time and is a little more difficult to play but it pays off when you play him well :). Ness has a better spike, his headbutt is deadly compared to lucas's, ness is heavier than lucas, so lucass abillity to recover better is pointless because ness can last longer, ness may not have a rope snake but at least his grabs can kill at lower %'s, the yo-yo is useful you are just handicapped if you think its not cuz you dont know how to use it, ALL of his air moves are godly unlike lucas because lucas's dair is well....pointless and his headbutt blows like I alrady said. IN CONCLUSION ness hasthe advantage over lucas, but I still play lucas I dont hate him I'm just clarifying that ness is better.

Conda

Ness's fair gives you a safer landing.
Lucas's Dair has horrible range and priority when lucas is falling, especially fastfalling.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ness's fair gives you a safer landing.
Lucas's Dair has horrible range and priority when lucas is falling, especially fastfalling.
However, from a full jump, his Dair dishes up like 24% damage almost instantly and puts him at a frame advantage that can sometimes even lead up into an AAA combo. :/

Lucas gets a pretty safe landing from Nair too, but not as good as Ness's Fair.

Conda

Yeah, I know Lucas's dair is good, but not in the scenario that the person described.

Ness's aerials are still better in every way, anyways.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah, I know Lucas's dair is good, but not in the scenario that the person described.

Ness's aerials are still better in every way, anyways.
I don't know. I personally prefer his Bair and Uair over Lucas's, but that's all.

His Fair isn't quite as cool as it was in Melee. It pushes them back too far now, and it's not as sticky. Dair has this weird dropping motion to it that I don't like at all. And it's almost useless to try and combo out of it due to the low hitstun, so I can't seem to find much use for it in my game except for the odd spike here and there, which are rare in Brawl where everyone recovers from above.

Nair...well Ness's hits harder, but Lucas's has the nice multi-hit effect and combos close to the ground with no lag. It's kind of hard to decide on this one.

Conda

"I personally prefer his Bair."
That made me laugh. :p
Insert Falco voice.

By the way, your post was kind of confusing when you started describing the bair. You should've indicated which character you were talking about as you flip flopped between talking about them.
But I understand what you mean.

Ness's fair has less knockback, which is good. It's not as containing for the duration, however (as you pointed out).

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I hate the fact that Lucas seems better in every move. Lucas Pk thunder can be used in some crazy ways. Now that Ness pk thunder is faster and has a bigger tail it is also interesting, but I think Lucas may be better with his. Pk crusher hitting a lot of times , traveling further and having killing potential at the end seems better to me than Ness pk crusher. I like now that Ness electrifies with his body when controlling pk thunder. Lucas pk freeze travels fast and can catch people off guard. Ness pk flash, while it goes out faster now, it moves too slow forward and has little hit box. I still wonder if it is usable.
Lucas Psi Magnet get more health and can also be used as a weapon when releasing it (and it hits pretty hard). Pk fire is the only thing Ness has going for him. Lucas stick hits faster than Ness bat, and it hits pretty hard and has a much better chance of landing it. Lucas Up smash is too awesome, HUGE hitbox and great power. Also, what I really dislike is that Lucas can grab the edge with his snake, and Ness has nothing in return for that.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^
I disagree with everything you just said (minus stick and psi magnet, they're Lucas' toys)

Ness PK Thunder is just as good if not better. It juggles better and is SOOOOOO much faster. I cannot use Lucas' PK the way I use Ness'. His PK thunder is quick enough to juggle well and do mindgames.

Ness' PKT2 (NOT crusher! Auck, where did you get that name!?) is better on offense. No doubt. Ness' PKT2 has one BIG hit which is WAAAYYYY more powerful than Lucas' final hit. Even if you do hit with PKT2 with LUcas, the final hit doesnt often connect. In fact, for me it rarely does. True, it has more range, but I've never had many instances in which Ness couldnt recover where Lucas could. Remember, Ness' midair jump IS larger.

PK FLash> PK Freeze
Seriously, you hit with it and it does nothing really. Hardly KOs and doesnt freeze them long enough for you to hit them (at least, most often). It has a SMALLER hitbox than flash and even though it goes faster, its still too hard to hit with. PK Flash makes a great edgeguard and can kill in the 70s fully charged. Much more worthwhile to hit with this.

As for the usmashes, look back one page on my post about the smashes to see why Lucas = Ness

PK Fire goes to Lucas with its pseudo wavedashing, shorthopping, and zap jumping. If only it had the burning effect of Ness.

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
I have the dialogue here:

I'm Ness... It's been a long road getting here... Soon, I'll be... Soon, I'll
be... Soon, I'll be... What will happen to us? W...what's happening? My
thoughts are being written out on the wall... or are they?

This suggests curiosity and maybe some fear of what will happen in the future.

You may have cursed this never-
ending journey.
You have known
injury and defeat, but you have
struggled on to reach this place
This may have come from
a faceless being made from drunkenness(tea/coffee/alcohol(JP)
, but its something right?

'(Ness heard a familiar voice at the center of the Sea of Eden.)
'Giygas' goal is to destroy you.
'Listen carefully!
'Everything in the universe could be destroyed at the hands of Giygas.
'But he and his followers are also in trouble.
'The Apple of Enlightenment has foretold
'that Giygas' attempt will fail.
'It is because of the existence of a boy named Ness.
'...That's me!
'Listen.
'Free your mind and KNOW what you must do!
'Your destiny has already been decided.
'You... I... where should we go?
'You know feep within the reaches of your mind.
'...S ...Sat... ...Saturn
'.....
'Saturn Valley... yes...
'Go to the valley where the Mr. Saturn live.
'...You'll get something new there.
'Soon, Magicant will be no more. We must be quick!
'(Ness really heard his own voice.
'Go to Saturn Valley!
'Go to Saturn Valley now!
)

A tone of rushing and maybe some desperation.

To answer the question, Ness is a average kid braver than most. Him getting homesick a lot could suggest that he was probably reluctant to leave home in the first place, but with everyone constantly pushing the "its your destiny" on him, he probably didn't have much of a choice since Giygas's influence was starting to spread. But he struggled on constantly fighting to reach the end.
I always thought Ness was cool! :p

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Wow... I just realized, next to the sticky and cult, this is the hottest topic on the Ness boards O_o

livan

Smash Apprentice
please stop that hate is not ...fair (sigh) both ness and lucas are a friends no matter how the ness and lucas users fight for who are the best of the best or only for the apperance that don't change who are so please don't hate a ness or lucas just for somethings like that.... sigh .....
ok

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
I'd say it's because we are bitter they never released mother 3 in the U.S.

Oh yeah, and when we use lucas he has his HHH (Huge Hair Hitbox) :p Kehneh o' JUSTICE!

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
Not really we don't really "hate" ness. I mean we may strongly disagree with what some may say regarding the comparison between the two. And me personally i play both mained Lucas before playing Ness i just happened to like Ness' moveset a lot more.

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone bother to read the dates?...

There really isn't any hate between Ness and Lucas fans anymore. Most people just prefer Lucas to Ness and others vice-versa. There is no reason to discuss anything in this thread anymore.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
This thread shouldn't have been bumped it's well over 1 month old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom