• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So who loves brawl over melee?

SarsVirus

Smash Cadet
haha jus wondering if u guys love brawl over melee ;D even though i miss melee's gameplay i think brawl is just so much better cause of online features, cool new char, and beutiful graphics before when i play melee i could get tired of it after a while nd rest but brawl i just wana keep playing ppl online and i dont get really tired of it ;D anyone feel the same way? :laugh:

zomg

Smash Rookie
Even though I logged over 100 hours into it, I could never really get into Melee, you know? Just something about it made me really get bored after a while. I love BRawl though, its a lot more fun than I've had with Melee. It reminds me more of SSB64, which I had a lot of fun with.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
Brawl over melee any day. I always got bored of melee, after like 30 minutes of playing. Brawl, you can do so many different things, it is hard to get bored of.

rove

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i'd choose Brawl over Melee anyday.
Melee was a good game, but Brawl just makes me keep wanting to play.
Because it has so much stuff you can do you can never get tired of it.
Online is the best, and if I ever do feel like I dont want to brawl no more, I just watch specator for inspiration:chuckle:.

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
I like brawl better for a number of reasons, and I keep thinking of more (melee was still a very fun game though)

jimmy4265

Smash Rookie
I actually REEEEEEEAAAAALLLLYYY didn't like Melee at all, especially when compared to the original Smash Bros.

honestly, I found that Brawl is SO much more fun than Melee and is probably the best in the series.

it ranks in the top 3 games on wii, obviously with Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3.

The games that have come out in the past few months have really restored my confidence in the wii not only as an innovative powerhouse, but as a gaming system in general.

-jimmy

smokeybravo

Smash Cadet
They are different games. Melee will probably remain my favorite game of all time just because of the countless hours of time playing with friends.

Brawl is a 10 though, and I don't see myself going back to Melee any time soon.

Yukichu

Smash Apprentice
I can't ever go back to Melee. Brawl is just so amazing and better in every single way.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Here's how I see this thread going.

Every casual on the board coming in and saying Brawl is better in every way.

A couple of bored pro's, and casuals who want to look cool coming in and explaining why Melee will always be better.

I also predict a flame war or two, and lots of "2.0's."

spindash

Smash Ace

A couple of bored pro's, and casuals who want to look cool coming in and explaining why Melee will always be better.

Sadly it's the fate of every thread that's about what's better. :\

I'm no casual at the game, but I enjoy Brawl better personally.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
might as well make it a poll

then you might actually get some kind of statistic out of this thread

instead of it dissolving into some sort of flame war as predicted

I like brawl over melee too ^^

but mainly because of easy access to human competition

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice

Agreed These melee vs brawl topics are really an eye sore on the front page

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I probably shouldn't bother posting but I will anyway.

I consider myself a very competitive Smasher and I understood every aspect of Melee. So please believe me when I mention this next part.

Brawl is shaping into a faster paced game then Melee and all has to do with the fine tuning of the most basic move in the game. The shield. Shielding has changed since last generation. So much so that now I'm actually minding many uses for the shield at all points in the game. You can actually block an attack the second it reaches you and come out of the block the moment the hitbox has been removed. Almost zero shield lag when it comes to the PS. The lightshield in Melee, made this very difficult. While it was still possible to pull off you never really saw it come up. I believe that the rehashed PS will make us faster. Faster to the extent that the average player will start being incredibly fast.

My hopes are that if this is true, and the average player becomes much faster then they were in Melee, then the pick of the litter, players like Chillin, PC Chris, Azen, Ken, ect... will surpass anything we can imagine. And with the way Brawl is shaping up, I'm seeing this class of players become much larger in number. Who knows, perhaps even another tier of player beyond what we know today will present itself someday.

Lyphen

Smash Rookie
Well, there are some changes in Brawl that I don't really agree with, but I'm sure with time I'll come to terms with them (except tripping). As a whole, I can see myself liking Brawl more in the near future. I'll just have to get used to it a bit more.

orintemple

Smash Lord
In terms of ALL content Brawl is a better game. I like it better for now, but that may just be cause I am tired of playing Melee after 6+ years. After 6 years of Brawl I'll make a real decision.

Brawl has better music though...

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
I probably shouldn't bother posting but I will anyway.

I consider myself a very competitive Smasher and I understood every aspect of Melee. So please believe me when I mention this next part.

Brawl is shaping into a faster paced game then Melee and all has to do with the fine tuning of the most basic move in the game. The shield. Shielding has changed since last generation. So much so that now I'm actually minding many uses for the shield at all points in the game. You can actually block an attack the second it reaches you and come out of the block the moment the hitbox has been removed. Almost zero shield lag when it comes to the PS. The lightshield in Melee, made this very difficult. While it was still possible to pull off you never really saw it come up. I believe that the rehashed PS will make us faster. Faster to the extent that the average player will start being incredibly fast.

My hopes are that if this is true, and the average player becomes much faster then they were in Melee, then the pick of the litter, players like Chillin, PC Chris, Azen, Ken, ect... will surpass anything we can imagine. And with the way Brawl is shaping up, I'm seeing this class of players become much larger in number. Who knows, perhaps even another tier of player beyond what we know today will present itself someday.
On the other hand, some would argue that the improved shield will turn the game into an overly defensive campfest. I'm not saying it necessarily will, but it is a possibility.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Let's break it down:

Characters: 8.7/10 (Melee: 5.4/10)

There are no true clones left anymore. I played as Toon Link, whom I thought was the only one, and was pleasantly surprised.

The roster isn't as good as it could have been, true. I also feel some series were missrepresented (Metroid, Star Fox, etc.). Two of my wanted five got in, and that's just OK. Two characters who were just passing thoughts that, when brought up, I thought, "Hey, they actually would be pretty awesome".

Those two were Lucario and Wolf

Stages: 8.9 (Melee 8.3)

The Stage Builder is very basic, but still very exploitable. I have remade Saffron City (Norffas City), Peache's Castle (Mango's Castle), and Hyrule Castle (Lowrule Castle), and a few other miscleaneous stages.

The stages in Brawl are a lot more creative than Melee's, though a few are a tad too small for me. Plus, no returning Fountain of Dreams. :(

My favorites would have to be Isle Delfino, with Luigi's Mansion as second and the Bridge of Eldin as third.

Music: 11/10 (Melee: 8.6)

Best. Sound Track. Ever.

No further comment needed.

Gameplay: 9.7 (Melee 9.6)

At first I was like ?_?, but then, I was like @.@, and I was :D.

In other words, I greatly disliked it at first. It felt several times slower, less free, and just flat out unnatural. After some time in training mode, though, I got used to it, and it felt natural again.

Changes I love:

Footstool Jumping: wee! On stage I can't think of much of a use for it unless there's a Smash Ball floating above your opponent, but it very usefull for characters who don't have a spike, have a hard time landing their spikes, or practically suicide unless they do it close enough to the stage.

Adventure mode: it doesn't suck anymore. I had a decent time playing alone,and I'd imagine it'd be very fun with two players. I like the new coop feature in general, really.

Shield dropping: for reasons given above.

Changes I hate:

Tripping: enough said.

Momentum airdodging: actually I'm kinda neutral on this, but I mostly don't like it. It feels out of place for this game, in my opinion.

For other miscleaneous things I'm too lazy to talk about, Brawl gets a 9.8. Melee got a 9.4 at first, but has gotte old and moldy and not as fun, but it's still an 8.4. I'm predicting that, after a very, very long time, Brawl wil fall to just a 9.

Yuichi

Smash Cadet
I think I like... Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl Brawl.

p1r4t3p0t3

Smash Rookie
Brawl is a little too slow after playing meele for a while..But I could get used to it.
And the Adventure mode is boring and tedious, get to the last level and you will see why.
The music is a lot better, but I still think that the meele stages were cooler.
I think meele had more diverse characters, yeah some were OP and some sucked, but it was fun to play as a Pichu every so often, now there isn't much of a difference from character to character.
Overall, Brawl was a letdown, imo.

p1r4t3p0t3

Smash Rookie
How the **** does that make any sense?
No characters are really really good, and no characters are really really bad...If you are basing it on more than just what they look like, the characters are a lot less diverse than meele

Imsohappy

Smash Rookie
melee because it has better one on one battles and brawl seems more for free for all (and the tripping randomly even makes it more so) imo

batsman415

Smash Cadet
Oh, wow . . .

I'm not even going to continue this.
Thank god, this could've been bad. As for liking Brawl better than Melee, I gotta go with Brawl. I think it has tremendous potential, and i love the way the characters feel balanced this time around. I f theres one thing I didnt like its the fact that Lil Mac isnt playable..........

p1r4t3p0t3

Smash Rookie
The balancing was stupid.
You know how Captain Falcon was OP in the first one so everybody played as him? It was fun to play as Pikachu even though you were probably going to lose, now it's just dumb.

Val

Smash Rookie
The way the Smash Bros. franchise has been for me so far is unlike most series. Whichever Smash Bros. is current is something I adore and love, and which will probably remain one of my favorite console games for the entirety of their lifespan. However, whenever a new Smash Bros. comes out the old ones lose their charm for me. It pains me to go back to the original SSB, and I played Melee yesterday and could not enjoy it as much as I did pre-Brawl. I can't imagine myself really playing it at any point in the future aside from perhaps messing around with Mewtwo. Of course Brawl is not perfect, tripping is irritating among other things. But Melee wasn't perfect either.

It's too early to say if I will prefer Brawl to Melee, however Brawl is definitely an improvement over Melee. (No, I did not just contradict myself.) I'm very curious as to how the Brawl pro scene will develop though.

Top Bottom