• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SO. Who else is Staying away from online play? I am. Here's why.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
Lag. its as simple as that.

I'm a competitive player and the only use of playing anyone online would be to play better competition, different play styles and better my game. But now that i have played a couple matches online, the lag is terrible. AT BEST there was STILL the lag that a HD TV would have when playing melee. I refused to play on HD TV's because of that lag. Yes, i know that brawl is not the frame perfect game that melee was but lag still greatly handicaps my game. I'd rather play with my friends and get used to all the aspects of brawl offline.

I WOULD have used online play to train. But lag messes up the entire system. Everything that is important while training, i.e. muscle memory, timing and spacing is compromised.

Extensive training online will only lead to a very frustrating tournament day.

agree? disagree? discuss.

Pi

Smash Hero
Yea...I have no desire to play online after experiencing lag. You have to play differently in general. It's...well it's kinda pointless to train on.

I've played a few online matches, definitely staying away from 'with anyone' but even the ones with my friends, while minimal, the lag was still something that you could tell constantly that it was there. The button input, I mean in melee you had to be super quick with that type of thing and your **** needed to respond just as quick. So in brawl I can only assume at the highest level of play that this will be the same case. And I don't wanna have to adapt to the lag of online play =\

pockyD

Smash Legend
yup it's laggy, and it will be awfully noticeable down the line

right now, while no one is still truly good at the game, it's still amazingly fun though

obviously it will never take the place of playing IRL, especially once people discover/rely more on timing-based tactics, but i'm going to play online now while it's still fun

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
If you have other to play with that's fine... not everyone does though... which is where online comes in handy for.

Rabbi Dan

Smash Rookie
Oh so you don't play online because of lag? What a novel reason! Thread of the century.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people deny that the lag exists. These are probably the same people who have never played Melee competitively or an other game at that speed. I agree with the OP about the lag issues.

Rash

Smash Ace
I'm not competitive and therefore will play online. I bought this game almost solely because it has the online modes which can extend my regular play. One of the biggest problems with Melee was that there just wasn't enough people to play. With Brawl, that changes.

I respect your decision to stay away from online because of lag. However, I will be enjoying it because Smash can be at its best in a low-lag online environment.

REDFIELD246

Smash Apprentice
The lag issues are ridiculous. The entire game changes; any skill that you had regarding speed, timing, combos, etc. goes out the window. My wireless signal is constantly at full strength too.

I HATE the lag.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
guys.... GTFO and get better connection n00bs.

Seriously, buy a good damend wired connection and get a better connection type instead of **** DSL. And play sombody who dosn' t lag either. For gods sakes i'm a competitive player and I maybe experiance lag 1 out of 6 matches. Then again who do I care its your opinion don't train, what are you going to do when theres nobody else around you and you don't want to fight cpus but want to play the game, oh thats right go online. You *****es complain WAYY too much. I'm sorry if I'm overdoing it but your statement is very very gay. Give the game some respect and if you don't like it GTFO and go play melee again you cry babies.

Pi

Smash Hero
guys.... GTFO and get better connection n00bs.

Seriously, buy a good damend wired connection and get a better connection type instead of **** DSL. And play sombody who dosn' t lag either. For gods sakes i'm a competitive player and I maybe experiance lag 1 out of 6 matches. Then again who do I care its your opinion don't train, what are you going to do when theres nobody else around you and you don't want to fight cpus but want to play the game, oh thats right go online. You *****es complain WAYY too much. I'm sorry if I'm overdoing it but your statement is very very gay. Give the game some respect and if you don't like it GTFO and go play melee again you cry babies.
Great idea, if EVERYONE followed it. But therein lies the problem, even if an individual gets a better connection he still has problems if the people he's playing don't have great connections.

Experience lag 1 out of 6 matches? Who are you playing? Your neighbors? That's great for you man, but how bout you put some thought into what you're suggesting before you type it out? :laugh:

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
Check your connection.
(A few things)
Modem
ISP
Distance from router or comp
Interferences
Download/Upload speeds

Check those and make sure they're good

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
I am Blizzard138 and I approve of this message.

Great idea, if EVERYONE followed it. But therein lies the problem, even if an individual gets a better connection he still has problems if the people he's playing don't have great connections.

Experience lag 1 out of 6 matches? Who are you playing? Your neighbors? That's great for you man, but how bout you put some thought into what you're suggesting before you type it out? :laugh:
/agreed the Wi-Fi USB connector shouldve been able to handle the online play but Nintendo made it suck.. oh well I still love Brawl.

Avalon262

Smash Cadet
my matches have been lag free for the past few days. Only the day the game came out is when I experienced lag and connection problems.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
JM: who the **** are you talking to?

If you had balls than you would just address me directly

A better connection won't solve **** when it comes to playing anyone outside a 200 mile radius of where you are. Don't come into my thread crying about how noobs have ****ty connections and that they must do something about that.

AND PLEASE if you're going to flame say that **** to my face and not half *** it by addressing everyone. That just screams pussyy whipped. Half of your post did not even make sense and it seems like you only read a few lines of mine. so please follow your advice and get the **** out.

i cant believe i just dropped to your level.

Im done. back to the discussion.

thanks.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
I've only had two major lag issues and that was in a row. (first problem same as the second problem)

Only other time it lags is in the first 5 seconds then it's just like a standard match. So solutions are either get a better connection or quit the fight, as someone with a bad connection may be bringing everyone down.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Wow, even a retarted person would know that that was directed to the topic creator >_>

Also, I was talking about Friend Battles idiot not vs Anyone. Of course your not going to find the best people on there. However your complaining about how you have lag in FRIEND BATTLES. Get sombody with a good connection and make sure you have good connection two so there won't be any lag. I seriously don't know what your crying about.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
I've had lag for the first 5-10 seconds...

I lag less with people in the same area as me. (the west coast in general)

Although, I have to admit there are some times for period of minutes my moves might be delayed for fractions of a second. It'd noticeably annoying.

pockyD

Smash Legend
sorry guys, there is and always will be inherent lag in playing online

in the best case it's comparable to an hdtv, which would be painful for any experienced melee player

if you guys are new to advanced smash (and it sounds like you are) you won't be able to understand how big of a difference 10 or so frames of lag can make, but it can easily be a gamechanger, especially in a game with the precision of melee

as for brawl, who knows? if it ever does become as good as melee, then online play will be awful because you won't be able to perform the same tactics that you do in real life... if it doesn't catch on, then online play will be "fine", at the expense of playing a crappy game -_-

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I understand what you mean. I've had a few matches with people within 30-minutes driving distance, and those were very good with some lag, but mostly clean fighting. I agree for the most part, though, that when some button presses don't go through, and when the timing is a bit off, it just messes thing up. You have to compensate by using your moves in advance, but then the whole psych-out game gets thrown out the window.

For now online is fine. After a while I'll probably only play online for non-competitive play.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
i too am a tourney palyer (sort of) but it depends who youre playing and how far away... when i pla my friends here that can;t come over our connection is blue.... and ultimately LAGLESS , i mean its like playing a regular brawl i couldn't tell a difference... but when theyre far i.e. im from texas and the furthest i've played someone was in New Hamp. now the connection was RED(meaning bad) but ultimately the game only lagged 3 seconds or so... so it really depends on the connection me personnaly im online alot... and i have been learning alot so in a way i agree and disagree.. does that make sense?

LKHERO

Smash Rookie
sorry guys, there is and always will be inherent lag in playing online

in the best case it's comparable to an hdtv, which would be painful for any experienced melee player

if you guys are new to advanced smash (and it sounds like you are) you won't be able to understand how big of a difference 10 or so frames of lag can make, but it can easily be a gamechanger, especially in a game with the precision of melee

as for brawl, who knows? if it ever does become as good as melee, then online play will be awful because you won't be able to perform the same tactics that you do in real life... if it doesn't catch on, then online play will be "fine", at the expense of playing a crappy game -_-
Yeah QFT.

Even with Brawl, a lot of the games require timing and precision, timing and execution in order to win matches.

Slower characters that do large amounts of damage in a short period of time have a supreme advantage over smaller characters that rely on speed and precision attacks in order to smash their opponents out. I normally main as Fox/Lucario but I tried Ike online recently and laughed at how easy it is to deliver the killing blow.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Who cares if online isn't frame perfect? It beats playing the same old computers time and time again.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it definitely doesn't beat making friends and playing with them

edit: i also propose that it really ISN'T better than playing computers if lag affects the match

edit2: i should clarify that my 1st edit was in relation to practicing/improving your skill... if you're playing for fun, it's up to you how much lag bothers you and you shouldn't be affected by what people tell you should be considered "fun"

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
You guys just need better internet connections along with the people that are causing lag.

Seriously, my internet connection is flawless and so is most of my friends', and I play them with no lag whatsoever.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry the Wii can't handle playing online with a wireless connection connecting to my NEIGHBOR.

It's stupid. My neighbor has a RED connection icon now... I know my connection's good too, cuz I don't lag at all when I play my 360. Perfect connection there. Now why can't the Wii do that?

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I'm sorry the Wii can't handle playing online with a wireless connection connecting to my NEIGHBOR.

It's stupid. My neighbor has a RED connection icon now... I know my connection's good too, cuz I don't lag at all when I play my 360. Perfect connection there. Now why can't the Wii do that?
sounds liek a personal problem to me?

but like i said my friend lives on the other side of our city and we have lagless connection... but i still play with my friends in the flesh so i dont lose that much

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Let me see if I understand right... you won't use the online feature because of the lag just so you won't disturb your patterns when you play in real life?

That seems rather strange to me, but to each his own I guess.

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
Your way to obsessed with this game and taking it ridiculously.

Hence the reason its called a game.
It isn't just a game, its a competitive sport.

But lag shouldn't happen all the time, some people play lagless or barely any lag at all. Although I get lag most of the times, I still play online just for fun and its better than driving all the way to your friends house just to play one match.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Online seems pretty craptacular thus far. Almost every single one of my matches had serious lag.. There is nothing wrong with my connection, when using my PS3/360 online I have basically zero lag.

The lag just causes people to spam the C-stick the entire game. Playing bots is more fun.

Top Bottom