• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, where to next? (Farewell for all Young Link mains.)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm just curious as to everyone's direction in Brawl. I personally haven't played in a serious tournament in almost a year. Married life has certainly gotten the best of me, but my wife and I will definitely play Brawl once it comes out. This thread came about because there hasn't been much activity here. With Brawl right around the corner, Melee seems so old and beaten to death that no one is interested in discussing Young Link anymore.

I loved being a Young Link main. Nothing was better than seeing the expression on people's face when they lost to my low tier character with their high tier character. One guy's comment was this: "Well, dang, the CPU definitely doesn't do Young Link justice." :laugh:

As fun as Young Link was, I will no longer have a singular main. The only good side to playing as strictly Young Link was that I pulled off tricks that my opponents had never seen before. I learned Young Link to an incredible depth. However, when Brawl comes out, I will learn as many characters as possible (of course I will learn Link the most). I learned the hard way that I need more variety in order to win.

So, what about everyone else?

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I already told my friend I was going to master Diddy Kong no matter what he is like. I hope Diddy Kong will be the Y.Link of brawl.

By that I mean he'll have loadsa flashy tricks to master, it will be cool seeing him beat the fave's and he's fast and small.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
I had already decided on Pit, from the moment I first heard he was in Brawl. I'll probably also go with Diddy Kong, seems interesting =P.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Can you tell me where exactly it says Young Link won't be in Brawl? :'( I've been hoping to find this somewhere because I keep hearing it around the intrawebz, but I never see any articles. I mained Young Link since I first bought Melee back in 2001, and I'm sad to see/hear him go. :/

I've also heard Cell Shade Link from the Wind Waker was going to replace him, but I've still yet to see any confirmation on that too. If CS Link is indeed in Brawl, then I will try to main him as he may be Y. Link, but Cell Shaded. :p Assuming he isn't in Brawl; I'll be maining Samus(secondary now), Luigi(trying to main him now), or Ike(just loved the Fire Emblem game for GC).

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Crzy, everything is unconfirmed until confirmed. No one needs to share proof that Young Link won't be in Brawl. Someone needs to find proof that Young Link will be in Brawl. Until then, you can go ahead and count him out. And the Wind Waker Link thing is a rumor as well. We didn't even know if Bowser/Peach/Yoshi would be returning until the DOJO revealed them. This is a totally new game, and Nintendo made it clear that not everyone from Melee would be returning.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Yeah us Y. Link mains got it bad =( but hopefully WW Link is going to be in brawl(I'd main him no matter what)

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I know I don't play Young Link, but my friend, Jash clearly stated "If Young Link or Wind Waker Link isn't in Brawl, I'll bomb the Nintendo headquarters." XD I tried to convince him to try other characters like Link and such and he denied them.

He's a Young Link fan at heart. God bless him :D

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Crzy, everything is unconfirmed until confirmed. No one needs to share proof that Young Link won't be in Brawl. Someone needs to find proof that Young Link will be in Brawl. Until then, you can go ahead and count him out. And the Wind Waker Link thing is a rumor as well. We didn't even know if Bowser/Peach/Yoshi would be returning until the DOJO revealed them. This is a totally new game, and Nintendo made it clear that not everyone from Melee would be returning.
I know, I know. It's just that Nintendo has made various reports/comments that have been related to Brawl, yet we still don't know if they're true or not. I'm talking about things like Gannondorf, Sheik, and Zelda character models being made, and yet we still don't know whether or not Gannon or Sheik are in the game. Hell Sheik may be her own character this time...who knows. Nintendo also made a comment about them working on an Online Mode for Brawl, and no one knows if that's true either.

I just want to see some hints as to whether or not Y. Link's in it. :p

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
I will not buy brawl if Young Link isn't in so i don't even care. Seriously i love young link so much... the better gaming moments of my life was with him. Brawl will be pointless if he is out.
Of course i'll still play a lot at friend's house and maybe i'll even find another main and gain interess to buy it but... well... hard, it'll not be the same.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Ummm....another option would just be to use Adult Link...I mean they're very similar in Melee, minus a few differences. Seriously though, not buying Brawl for one missing character isn't worth it no matter how die hard of a fan you are for one character.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
As much as it would hurt, I would still buy Brawl even if the entire Triforce cast was missing. Seriously, it is silly to only like the game based on one character. Removing Link would be outrageous, but there is still so much of a good game left that of course I would buy it.

dreamastermind

Smash Cadet
I figured that the creator of Zelda liked Young Link too much to exclude him which was why the rumor that Wind Waker Young Link started in the first place. Didn't it come from his own mouth? Sure nothing is confirmed but that means anything could still happen. I would definitely be disappointed if Young Link wasn't in the new game. He seems to have appeared in more Zelda games than the adult link anyway which is why I never understood why adult link was in most of Smash Bros games.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Actually that's Teen Link you're talking about. :p Adult Link is the new TP version that just got in.

If they have Young Link/WW Link, Teen Link, AND Adult Link...that's overkill and I say Teen Link should go! Of course, Young Link stays. ;)

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I think we should make a combo video with like every Y.Link user in it as a goodbye present to the lil guy.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
Ummm....another option would just be to use Adult Link...I mean they're very similar in Melee, minus a few differences. Seriously though, not buying Brawl for one missing character isn't worth it no matter how die hard of a fan you are for one character.
They're a lot more different than you would think. Trying to play Link after maining YL isn't as easy as one would think. ^^ (Personal experience)

But the knowledge of the moveset in general is still there...

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
They're a lot more different than you would think. Trying to play Link after maining YL isn't as easy as one would think. ^^ (Personal experience)

But the knowledge of the moveset in general is still there...
Oh believe me...I just copied my Smash Bros. data so I could erase it and start over on a new file. I couldn't use Link if my life depended on it...I just spammed the hell out of his Sword plant. The only plus side I seen from him over Y. Link was his Hookshot was far longer, but I didn't use it much since I was just Down Smashing everything in sight. :chuckle:

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
well, as a ylink main in melee i'm feeling pretty crushed. everyone is saying that my favorite character wont be in brawl T-T
if ylink isn't in i suppose i'll just... i dont know... pit could play link ylink... or maybe i'll move onto adult link
i just dont know anymore T-T

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
I know I don't play Young Link, but my friend, Jash clearly stated "If Young Link or Wind Waker Link isn't in Brawl, I'll bomb the Nintendo headquarters." XD I tried to convince him to try other characters like Link and such and he denied them.

He's a Young Link fan at heart. God bless him :D

Will he do the boomerang super jump and rain bombs if YL or WWL isn't in there?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
As much as I like Young Link, I'll actually be happy to have all the Link loyalists under one roof. Dividing the Link community in Melee was painful, and more energy went into Young Link vs Big Link than Link vs the rest of the world!

Jace08

Smash Lord
I've been maining YL for about six months, and I had only learned about advanced techs about a year ago, so YL's not really getting old for me. But you're right in saying that pretty much everyone else is just waiting for Brawl.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
As much as I like Young Link, I'll actually be happy to have all the Link loyalists under one roof. Dividing the Link community in Melee was painful, and more energy went into Young Link vs Big Link than Link vs the rest of the world!
So what you're saying is that, you'd rather prefer if we all mained Link so we wouldn't have to choose? XD I used to always play as Link on Smash64 and Melee when I first bought it...until I unlocked Young Link and noticed he was quicker in some sense. Speed is always a plus when it comes to fighting games or else you'd just get pwned by the fast players. Which is true because a lot of people main the fastest characters in Melee: Fox, Captain, Marth, etc.

Oh and Young Link MAY have a chance of returning in Brawl because I remember hearing/reading that the Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, Pichu, Young Link, and such weren't going to make a return. Yet the last update for the Dojo revealed the ICs which gives a slight chance that Nintendo is keeping the current roster. :D (could just be me dreaming though :laugh:)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
So what you're saying is that, you'd rather prefer if we all mained Link so we wouldn't have to choose? XD
LOL, I just wish we didn't all bicker over which one was better.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I think we should make a combo video with like every Y.Link user in it as a goodbye present to the lil guy.
Or you could help me create my "Gone, But Not Forgotten" video, which includes all the characters that supposedly won't make it into brawl. Go to the Misc Vids section and read up on it.

/plug
>_> <_<

As an IC/Ylink/GaW main, I feal relieved that the twins made it into Brawl. Of course, i'm still waiting on confirmation for my other two mains.

gnosis

Smash Lord
I will always hold a soft spot for Young Link in my heart, as opposed to just Link. I never cared for playing Link in 64 or Melee, but Young Link has always been on of my Melee mains (the fact that I 'main' just about everyone isn't the point...).

There's something about him the little hero that I find very... lovable. Lol.

bloodvayne

Smash Apprentice
I'll be maining Young Link if he returns, but even if he does, my main focus is and will be Wario.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Guys, I understand this might hurt you if YLink isn't in Brawl. But remember: it's always good to try someone new. Who knows? You might find a character who's similar or just like YLink. I mean, look at me. when I played Smash 64, I picked Mario. When Melee came out, I mained Mario again, but I second Peach. After some time with Peach, I felt more potiential with Peach, so I mained her (I did second Mario, but after the glitch **** with M2k's Mewtwo, I lost spirit of playing him XD;; )

Now, Peach is in Brawl, but her Dsmash could be nerfed (wouldn't every Dsmash victim like that? XD;; ) or some of her moves/abilities would no longer be there. If this happens, I'm still maining her and possibly half of the Peach players will stop playing her (though, this could be good since I can prove she doesn't need cheap moves to win). Also, I'm gonna be seconding Metaknight, because he's a badass version of Kirby (plus he has a sword <3 )

But yeah, all I'm saying is to try other characters. At least for the fun of it. Oh yeah, there's DEFINITLY no way I can convince Jash to choose other characters after the two special victories he got not too long ago XD

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Now, Peach is in Brawl, but her Dsmash could be nerfed (wouldn't every Dsmash victim like that? XD;; ) or some of her moves/abilities would no longer be there. If this happens, I'm still maining her and possibly half of the Peach players will stop playing her (though, this could be good since I can prove she doesn't need cheap moves to win).
Funny, I always thought that Peach was a pretty balanced character.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Funny, I always thought that Peach was a pretty balanced character.
She's not that balance. She's a great character, but her weaknesses can be abused at time. Great priority, but several of her moves are situational.

But enough about Peach, we must cheer up these YLink players.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The Young Link forum is virtually dead. The other Melee character forums are showing similarly faint signs of life. The upper tier characters still show some decent activity, but the other characters had low activity to begin with, so now everyone just talks about Brawl. Who can blame them? Not only will Brawl be out in a couple months, but virtually everything we care to discuss has been discussed to death already. Also, no one is going to magically warp the tier list with huge tournament victories this late in the game.

I never thought this day would come. Young Link's days are numbered...

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I wanna get some vids up soon and ask for critism but Im thinking

is there any point

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I wanna get some vids up soon and ask for critism but Im thinking

is there any point
I don't speak for everyone here, but I'll be honest: I really never watch any match videos anymore. :laugh: And yeah, with Brawl so close to being released, there is not much motivation to improve with any given character.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I will not main Wind Waker Link if he makes it in. He is simply not as cool as OoT/MM Young Link. The way things look now, I will be maining Link and Pit.

Top Bottom