• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what were they thinking?

RWB

Smash Ace
I dunno, I'm bumping a somewhat old thread I admit, but this thread sums up so much I was thinking about Ike I just have to say I agree.

Another thing is, Ragnell is by no means a fire-based sword, yet Sakurai seems to be turning it into an ultra-heavy Sealed Sword as we can see by the special move Eruption.

And it actually is ultra-heavy compared to Sealed Sword(it weighs 150% more). But since it is much smaller in SSBB than it was in the original games it doesn't really matter, it just seems awkward that he is so slow with such a normalsized sword.

The other thing is how they could have at LEAST given Ike a projectile since Ragnell technically can shoot magical beams. Ragnell doesn't slow down Ike at all anyway, because Attack speed in FE9 is determined by strength, so really why make him so freaking slow?
I do very much agree about the projectile.
Second part:
1. Brawl needed a slow swordsman (and Ganondorf is a god**** sorcerer, and I hope he act it in Brawl),and that took priority over making him like he was in FE9.
2. Ike might be based on his RD stats.

To be honest, if this Ike was Hector, I'd be incredibly happy. In fact, as we call no-flinch frames super armor, wouldn't it make a TON more sense that someone like HECTOR who actually has armor have a bunch of no-flinch frames, and be slow moving and have tons of disjointed hitboxes of raw power? But noooooo, they chose Ike for it. =(
Pretty true.

I play a bunch of Nintendo series, and by far, I am shocked by how much Ike has been completely misrepresented in everything except his appearance. Yes, it's disappointing that Ike appears very unbalanced, but why did he not only have to be unbalanced, but be nothing like he was in FE9?
He was also in FE10, where he was strong and slow. And complaining about misrepresented(=likeness to their games), the same goes for most characters in smash, of which some chars propably are more misrepresented than Ike. Smash's made to be fun, not correct to a fault.

I'm not saying he won't be fun to play though. My guess is he'll probably be incredibly valuable in SSE due to massive killing strength. And at least his voice is manly. =P

By the way, it's not like Marth and Roy were represented all that well, but at least it's not like someone completely disregarded their attributes and threw them out the window in exchange for new ones that make no sense.
Marth was never strong, yet Marth in SSBM is among the hardest hitters when he wants to. His shield(the first fire emblem) was also ignored. Marth weren't fast, yet Melee-Marth is quick...

He's just as badly interpreted as you're saying Ike is, but Ike actually had a game where he was strong and slow, making Marth the far worse represented character.

And "new ones that make no sense." doesn't really apply to Ike. FE10, I say.

Although Roy didn't get a ranged attack...but eh, SSBM came before FE6 so that's excusable. FE6 and FE1 don't have particularly well-developed lords to my knowledge anyway, so there's more leeway for them. However Ike is actually developed, so it's really sad when I see it not taken into account.
How is Ike's stats= more development? Because that is what you complained about above.

I would have no problems with Ike as he is now, if it weren't for the fact that Sakurai shrunk his sword something crazy, pretty much destroying his own reason for it to be the reason Ike is slowish.

Cless

Smash Champion
I thought the only thing good about Marth was his speed. He's not really strong in Melee, he just combos like a beast, and his tippers do a lot.

RWB

Smash Ace
I thought the only thing good about Marth was his speed. He's not really strong in Melee, he just combos like a beast, and his tippers do a lot.

Well, I kinda was referring to the tippers when I said strong.

Cless

Smash Champion
Well, if he couldn't combo well, his tippers wouldn't mean much. Besides, that's not really strength, that's a sweet spot.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I beilive they made Ike as a party character, where non-competitive players use him as *their secret weapon* lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Marth was never strong, yet Marth in SSBM is among the hardest hitters when he wants to. His shield(the first fire emblem) was also ignored. Marth weren't fast, yet Melee-Marth is quick...
I dunno, his growth rates in FE1 to me actually resemble the way he was portrayed in Melee (his offensive stat averages are fairly high for not promoting). I didn't have much complaints there, and Marth was the only character to use Rapiers, hence why he sweetspots at the tip of his sword. That's as far as I got concerning Marth.

How is Ike's stats= more development? Because that is what you complained about above.
Erm, I think was thinking more about the fact that Ike is actually a well developed protagonist in the story of FE9, and that FE9 has cutscenes. Also, his animations in FE9 battle emphasize that like other sword users, he is very speedy. FE1 and 3 didn't really have much in terms of animations, so it's a little more excusable for Marth. At least that is my opinion.

But I dunno, I haven't played FE10 (and as you're saying he is slower in that game, I guess that sounds reasonable), and I've yet to finish FE1 or 3 completely. It's just that when I compare Ike's representation to the representation of other characters shown at the demo, it just makes me kinda sad that he's one of those characters that didn't get as accurately represented as others. Really, when I look at the Melee cast of characters, the vast majority of them I can say have attributes that genuinely make sense in terms of game origins, but looking at Brawl, it is surprising to see how Ike doesn't fit in that kind of category well. Maybe I should be disappointed with Marth too, but eh, Melee has been out for too long for me to be really care at this point. =/

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Ike in FE10 is okay speedwise. He doesn't double attack much, but he isn't double attacked much either.

Personally I think they did a pretty decent job with Marth. I don't normally count sweetspots as a character's strength, but even then most of his kills are from his beastly edgeguarding anyway. Marth was the "weak", fast swordsman and I think they just wanted Ike to be different, so they made him a slow powerhouse. If they just tweak those super armor frames a little (make him impervious to grabs, make it last from start up until the move is supposed to hit, ect.) he could actually be a decent character. That and give him some fast moves that he can use to actually combo people. Slow and powerful can be good, but as long as he has a few fast moves to make his power good for something.

Rakath

Smash Ace
RWB: The easier explanation (even if you use RD Ike stats, they don't quite fit) for Ike's play in Brawl is his beating out Sigurd on the poll.

Weight (HP and Def Growths) {Bases}
Power (Strength and Skill)
Speed (Speed)

Ike FE9
HP and Def (75 and 40) {19 and 5}
Atk and Skill (50 and 50) {5 and 6}
Speed (55) {7}

Ike FE10
HP and Def (65 and 40) {44 and 21}
Atk and Skill (55 and 60) {24 and 28}
Speed (35) {23}

Sigurd FE4
HP and Def (110 and 40) {35 and 9}
Atk and Skill (50 and 50) {14 and 11}
Speed (30) {12}

Based on Growths mostly (the bases tell very little... Ike's 10 bases could, as he starts near a few caps from the get like 2 off from his Str cap) you can see that Sigurd has more of the slow and powerful feel, and Ike would be a midweight fighter. However, if Ike was given Sigurd's spot, taking Sigurd's stats would be easier and few would try to figure that.

Personally, so long as the cast is varied, Ike being strong and slow is okay by me. Again, this is as long as the cast is really varied. Making Ike fast and comboy with a Marth around would annoy me.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
Personally, so long as the cast is varied, Ike being strong and slow is okay by me. Again, this is as long as the cast is really varied. Making Ike fast and comboy with a Marth around would annoy me.
Likewise another slow FE character like Hector, Griel, etc would be annoying. Personally I want to see an FE villain. although I can't really think of a deserving one other than the black knight who is pretty much the same as Ike.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Greil could be done, Urvan is a poleax by design (at least in 9, the thing is freakin' huge), so a playstyle could be done without it being a complete remake of Ike. Although having a Lancer or a Mage would be easier to vary.

Hector and Black Knight... not really easy without revenge of Cloning.

Top Bottom