• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what are the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
99% of their moves are exactly the same. Just their Fspecial, Sspecial, and Nair are different.
F Special and S Special are both terms for the side B. Did you mean N special, U special or D special?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ah, Ok.

Do you enjoy playing Dark pit, or do you think he was a wasted spot on the roster?
Could of been better, but since two of their most important moves are different, they're unique enough.

F Special and S Special are both terms for the side B. Did you mean N special, U special or D special?
Opps. Yeah, I ment Nspecial.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I use Dark Pit for the novelty of using a character that totally doesn't need to be there, but is. His Side-B is just better than Pit's IMO(better angle to at least set up some form of offstage) but his arrows are just ass tier. Pit's probably better but I guess you can play both interchangably, depending on blastzones. Dark Pit is just my griefing character and I enjoy every moment of it. But yeah his arrows are essentially garbage(compared to Pit's at least)

SpinAttack

Smash Rookie
One odd thing I found about Dark Pit's Side B is it has a set damage rotation that does 11% on the ground and the next time it hits it will do 12%. Same thing applies to the air Side B (9% then 10% if you didn't know). But that's not all, the weird part is if you do a 1% or 5% damage Fair, the next time you use his Side B, it will always do the higher value of damage (10% in the air, 12% on the ground).The game remembers this even if you do a Fair straight after your previous Fair that isn't 1% or 5% damage. The game does eventually forget about it, but the only thing I remember that causes this is if you just wail on your opponent.(Needs more confirmation) I tried seeing if it was a percentage thing (Ex: After doing 40% of damage it forgets)A totally minute detail, but there's one difference Dark Pit has.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
One odd thing I found about Dark Pit's Side B is it has a set damage rotation that does 11% on the ground and the next time it hits it will do 12%. Same thing applies to the air Side B (9% then 10% if you didn't know). But that's not all, the weird part is if you do a 1% or 5% damage Fair, the next time you use his Side B, it will always do the higher value of damage (10% in the air, 12% on the ground).The game remembers this even if you do a Fair straight after your previous Fair that isn't 1% or 5% damage. The game does eventually forget about it, but the only thing I remember that causes this is if you just wail on your opponent.(Needs more confirmation) I tried seeing if it was a percentage thing (Ex: After doing 40% of damage it forgets)A totally minute detail, but there's one difference Dark Pit has.
What you're actually seeing is decimal damage. One early Nair hit does .5%, for example.

SpinAttack

Smash Rookie
What you're actually seeing is decimal damage. One early Nair hit does .5%, for example.
That exists in this game? I tested it out and you are correct. The Fair does 1.5% and 5.5%, and his side b always does 9.5% in the air and 11.5% on the ground. The more you learn right? Well seeing that the only difference is his Neutral and Side B. (Unless if somebody found out his knockback is better on some moves) I'd deem Pit the better of the two. Controlled arrows are much better. I still like Dark Pit more cosmetically.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if the guardian orbitars have different multipliers for reflected projectiles.

SpinAttack

Smash Rookie
I wonder if the guardian orbitars have different multipliers for reflected projectiles.
Maybe I can redeem myself with some actual true information. I used Falco's laser for testing the orbitars multipier damage, and it reflects back at 1.5x the damage for both characters. Here's a list of how much damage Falco takes with 11 shots reflected back at him: 4%, 9%, 13%, 18%, 22%, 27%, 31%, 36%, 40%, 45%, 49%. Notice the pattern? Falco's laser does 3% with each hit.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Besides the Final Smash what differnces does Kark Pit have? I know there's the Elctroshock arm instead of the uperdash but how areit's properties different for example?
hes slightly slower but is stronger his side b works differently as it has more range but wont swing unless he touches the opponent while pits swings regardless and his arrows dont curve like pits do aside from that like i said stronger but slower and has zeldas final smash hope this helps

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I enjoy playing Dark Pit.

That being said, I think he was a wasted spot on the roster.

RIP Ghirahim.

RIP Grass Pokemon.
I have to heavily disagree with you there. Dark Pit being his own character instead of an alt means Pit gets four extra colors and more specifically his fabulous hot pink attire! Pink Pit alone makes me thankful that Sakurai thought better than to give DP the Alph treatment.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I have to heavily disagree with you there. Dark Pit being his own character instead of an alt means Pit gets four extra colors and more specifically his fabulous hot pink attire! Pink Pit alone makes me thankful that Sakurai thought better than to give DP the Alph treatment.
Dark Pit really only needed one spot as a palette, but even so, there was the Little Mac treatment as well...

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Only difference is one I'd Pit while the other is Pit going through an Emo phase. Lucina and Dr. Mario at least look different visually and have more different properties.

Meian

Smash Cadet
I enjoy playing Dark Pit.

That being said, I think he was a wasted spot on the roster.

RIP Ghirahim.

RIP Grass Pokemon.
Ignorant statement. Sakurai even said the clones did not take up any of their work time so they were able to add them. They would be there or no other additional characters at all.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-the-clone-characters-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

That being said, I enjoy Dark Pit particularly his side-b and his demeanor compared to Pit's new voice... A shame his side-b doesn't seem as potent as finishing as Pit's (spinning wheel > electric metal fist of doom)

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
hes slightly slower but is stronger his side b works differently as it has more range but wont swing unless he touches the opponent while pits swings regardless and his arrows dont curve like pits do aside from that like i said stronger but slower and has zeldas final smash hope this helps
Blatant lies.
The only true things here are the arrow curvature and the Final Smash.

Last edited:

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Blatant lies.
The only true things here are the arrow curvature and the Final Smash.
actually his side b works differently it causes more damage and send the opponent more sideways instead of upwards more differences than lucina has thats for sure

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
actually his side b works differently it causes more damage and send the opponent more sideways instead of upwards more differences than lucina has thats for sure
Lucina has balanced strength all around while Marth has weaker slices but his tippers pack a huge punch. That's a huge difference right there. More then what dark pit has.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Lucina has balanced strength all around while Marth has weaker slices but his tippers pack a huge punch. That's a huge difference right there. More then what dark pit has.
Dark Pit wasn't designed to be a weaker version of another character, though. Two of his most important moves got significant changes from Pit. Marth most certainly wasn't a character that needed an easy mode.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
We'll have to see how it works out, but just because Lucina seems less powerful at first glance doesn't mean she is. The different sword mechanics could mean that she has followups that don't work for or don't work as well for Marth because the spacing doesn't work out right yada yada. Just like making a move's knockback lower makes it "less powerful" but could end up being advantageous. Or she could end up like Roy and simply be inferior.

Meanwhile Dark Pit has like three differences, and one of them is the mostly irrelevant final smash.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
We'll have to see how it works out, but just because Lucina seems less powerful at first glance doesn't mean she is. The different sword mechanics could mean that she has followups that don't work for or don't work as well for Marth because the spacing doesn't work out right. Or she could end up like Roy and simply be inferior.

Meanwhile Dark Pit has like three differences, and one of them is the mostly irrelevant final smash.
Do you even understand how the whole tipper mechanic works? Marth's sour hits will always send the opponent less far as Lucina's will, meaning Marth will always have more combos. There's a fringe where Lucina could get an extra hit in because of the weaker hit at max range, but that'd be it. And I'll admit this doesn't apply to her throws, but we'd know by now if she had better combos with them.

I highly doubt Dark Pit would just randomly have one move be significantly worse then Pit's. This'd be a fairly important kill move here, and vanilla Pit has enough troubles KOing. We also know Ftilt deals the same amount of damage, so it points to yet another move being different. We just don't know what. We're looking at no less then four major differences, not counting his FS. Arrows, Arm, Ftilt, and our mystery move.

I'll be honest with you. I've always considered the two a set since we first saw his moves. Nearly everything is the same, but the small amount differences result in huge playstyle changes. Main one, main both. One excels in a situation the other does not. Pit has always been a versatile character, and now that there's two of him he can be even more versatile. They could end up being what the transforming characters should of been, you understand? This is exciting for me.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
I never said that his side b doesn't work differently.
The blatant lies about the side B that you said were
"his side b works differently as it has more range but wont swing unless he touches the opponent while pits swings regardless"; which is a complete fabrication and has no basis in reality.

Edit: Also, both side b moves do 11%, so saying that Dark Pit's does more damage is also factually inaccurate.
I do agree that its Lucina could use more differences per move, but her one change affects her entire moveset and play style, whereas the four move differences between Pit and Dark Pit is more like picking a favorite flavor.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I do agree that its Lucina could use more differences per move, but her one change affects her entire moveset and play style, whereas the four move differences between Pit and Dark Pit is more like picking a favorite flavor.
I don't think it's like choosing between different flavours. I think it's like choosing between different brands of the same flavour. Like Cheese and onion Walkers to cheese and onion Golden Wonder. (Is that a thing Americans have?)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
"his side b works differently as it has more range but wont swing unless he touches the opponent while pits swings regardless"; which is a complete fabrication and has no basis in reality.

Edit: Also, both side b moves do 11%, so saying that Dark Pit's does more damage is also factually inaccurate.
Actually, the Electroshock does .5 more damage. Yes, half a %.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice

its not a lie its a fact lol just saying besides his side b does send the opponent more sideways making it KO the opponent much easier than pits does

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Since we have @ kyoskue kyoskue 's wonderful thread about the differences, I'm going to lock this one so further difference research and discussion can be brought into it.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
People keep telling me that Dark Pit is better than Pit but I wanna know why. What are the differences between the two? The only one I noticed was Pits recovery is slightly better but Dark Pit can still make it back deep and their side specials launch you in different directions with Pits being directly up and Dark Pits being top-left or top-right, which looks better for killing imo.

Is there any other differences on why you should use Dark Pit over Pit besides personal reasons?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, it's actually the other way around for the most part, but they're 99% the same anyway.

Pit's arrows beat Dark Pit's, no contest. Although DP's guiding bow custom helps quite a bit for some matchups. Pit gets arrows he can camp with and hit the opponent basically anywhere, DP has to choose one or the other.

Their Sspecials, or Arms, are more or less equal. Upperdash Arm sends people nearly straight up and always KOs at 140, while Electroshock sends people at an angle and can potentially KO at 120 on the stage. Since they have SA on the moves, they can beat out nearly any recovery if timed right. Pit's will just launch people up, but DP's will send people out and potentially gimp or KO those recovering. Pit's KOs 10% quicker for every platform up on BF, but DP's deals electric damage as to hold an opponent for a teammate to strike him. Yadda yadda yadda... And the custom Sspecials basically only effect the distance traveled and considered to be not worth using.

DP has a stronger striking flight custom (I think...) , not that you'd ever use it. Their recoveries are identical otherwise.

As far as A moves go, the only one with any difference at all is Ftilt. DP's has little knockback, almost little enough to combo properly out of a sourspot. Pit's has high KB, enough to KO at higher %s. Considering they both have problems KOing, Pit is the clear victor here.

All that's left is their Final Smash, and that's up to personal taste.

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
afaik, Dark Pits arrows do slightly more damage, his Side B knocks back at a more desirable angle, and some people have said his Side B also has slightly more super armor frames, I've also heard he might be heavier, not sure if the last 2 are confirmed though

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
afaik, Dark Pits arrows do slightly more damage, his Side B knocks back at a more desirable angle, and some people have said his Side B also has slightly more super armor frames, I've also heard he might be heavier, not sure if the last 2 are confirmed though
I can confidently say the last two are untrue.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
I find Dark Pit's Side B to be a lot more worse than Pit's Side B. The only advantage with the angle it sends people is with trying to gimp, besides that Pit's Upperdash Arm will kill people a lot earlier because it sends them to the top of the screen. Pit is able to power through people in late %'s and kill in neutral which Dark Pit simply can't do with his Side B.

Pit's Arrows are also a whole lot more controllable, the extra percent or so you'll get from Dark Pit's arrows aren't worth the possibilities of gimping people with it, or the extra hits. And like someone else said, FTilt kills a whole lot earlier.

So TL;DR Pit > Dark Pit right now.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I main the both of them. But I play Pit more because of his arrows. DP's arrows can't be angled as well.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Like the others said the only true differences between the two angels are their arrows, arms, and ftilt.

Pit's arrows are easily guided and far better at gimping, but Dark Pit's arrows deal slightly more damage at the cost of almost no control.

Pit's Upperdash Arm sends straight up and KOs later, Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm sends diagonally upwards and KOs earlier.

Pit's Ftilt has more knockback than Dark Pit's Ftilt.

Maybe future patches might try to make the two more different, but I use Pit more because I prefer gimping with his arrows and I grew attached to him especially in Uprising.

Ikieri

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4824-9515
It's like Light vs Dark, sure Dark Pit may be stronger but Pit is strong enough on his own. He is the original after all.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Pit has the better arrows and a more consistent KO move with Upperdash arm, which is why I prefer to use him. I use Dark Pit based on match up, if I feel like it, I wanna practice my offstage game, or if I wanna cheese out the computers in single player mode. Cause the computer will just eat Electroshock arms and die at like 40% to it.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
pit is much better imo. he can angle arrows, and his dash arm sends foes up which is where you want them to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom