• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So the frame is the unit of time in Melee... What is the unit of space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

automat1

Smash Rookie
Most people on here know that Melee runs at a rate of 60 frames per second, and that is a quantifiable, tried and true unit of time. This means that timing can't be reduced to any lower unit.
What about distance though? I'm guessing pixels maybe? Can someone clarify? :confused:

automat1

Smash Rookie
Okay the SH nair sounds pretty okay... What about at extremely small distances, like the determining distance between a phantom hit and a hit or a phantom hit and a miss?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Technically, the smallest non-reducible amount of space in melee is a pixel.

But that's too small for us to make realistic measurements out of for conveying range to others (it's like taking measurements in nanometers and expecting the other guy to visualize how large the distance is based off of that)

Pengie

Smash Lord
in bowser rolls, pokemon and fd were like 6 but fd was slightly smaller so we rounded it to 5.5. dreamland was 5, i think. yoshis and fod were like 3.5 and 4 or something. and i forget what battlefield was.

but yeah, stadium is bigger than dreamland in terms of length. overall, dreamland is the bigger stage, though, because of the ridiculously amazingly high platforms. this enables camping better than pokemon does (barring transformations).

to my understanding falcon's issue isn't peach camping turnip, it's when she gets one out to approach him and cuts off a bunch of his options with it. his other hassle, it seems, is approaching her directly, because his nair only beats her fast moves when it's spaced nicely and if he's making a move on her, she gets more time to position herself than vice versa.
10bowserrolls

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
its pixels. but they're too small for us to percieve so its pretty much useless.

i usually measure space by what character i'm playing

e.g. fox = shffled nair, sheik = dash attack/jc grab, marth = shffled fair/fsmash, falcon = side b/down b/knee

basically know ur spacing

trivia: marth's sword is exactly 3 feet according to ken

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
actually pixels arent a good unit. why? it has to do with how video renders. I'd go into all the techno-speak but its simpler to say the amount of pixels depends entirely on the viewing screen and not the game.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
The simple answer is, we don't have a unit of measurement we often refer to.

Usually in melee we use a reference to get some idea of what you're trying to say. IE: 1 tipper fsmash away, 1 sheik ftilt range away, etc

So, there is no real unit of space used for melee.

<i think im so smart

<stop editting my post you ***hat

<edit? I see no edit <Lol this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom