• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So tell the truth: Will you use characters....

RetroRhythm

Smash Apprentice
That you actually LIKE over what characters are good?

Very simple question.

For instance, since Fox got nerfed, and many of my friends used the hell out of him, they said, "well, if he sucks, then I will just use Wolf."

These are the same people who were singing Fox's praises and saying that he was "THEIR FAVORITE CHARACTER LOL <3" before this news.

Me, I got Diddy Kong. Screw the rest of the roster, I will use Diddy. It is not about stats and all that mess, moreso that it is about fan faithful dedication.

Believe it or not, despite a character's shortcomings, they all have the potential to be something really good...

It is just harder for characters who may suck, and regardless of where Diddy stands, it has no effect on me. I welcome the challenge, and since I HAVE my favorite character in the world, I can put forth ALL my dedication into making him something great.

So what about you?

-State your stance: Use 'em cause you like them, or do you use them for their skill? Why?

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
But... I like all of the characters. I can honestly say there isn't a character on the roster that I hate. At least not the character themselves.... Good Marth players leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I can't really choose a character based off of being a fan, because I'm a fan of all the characters! So I just use lots of people, and I get really good with the ones that fit my play style.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I never liked luigi and yet I mained him back on SSBB just because it fit my playstyle. I feel no attachement whatsoever towards any of the characters, there were simply more characters I felt inclined to play with because of the reasons stated previously. I liked ness a lot too but his lack of potential and versatile moveset made me quit trying to get better with it... Lucas, looking like a ness on steroids, I will prolly end up using just because I'd feel comfortable using it. But as I have not played the game yet, all of this is mere speculation. Since the game's speed has been toned down a bit, some characters such as fox that I had never considered before might become an option. Everyone seems to be as floaty as ssbm-luigi in ssbb "_"

RetroRhythm

Smash Apprentice
But... I like all of the characters. I can honestly say there isn't a character on the roster that I hate. At least not the character themselves.... Good Marth players leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I can't really choose a character based off of being a fan, because I'm a fan of all the characters! So I just use lots of people, and I get really good with the ones that fit my play style.
Come oooooooon, There has to be SOMEONE you like over the others! =P

The Drizzle

Smash Cadet
I'll probably use one of them.

I really like Shiek, Snake, Pit and Metaknight. I doubt I'll use a character soley because of how good they are, but if whoever I main in friendlies is really gimped in competitive, I'll probably pick up a main for tourneys.

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
I played a lot with Kirby in Melee, even if he sucked, and will still playing him.

lazychi

Smash Cadet
SNAAAAAAKE
Yea I am going to main him, no matter what. I dont really care for who's better and etc but if they are good thats just a +. I used to play falco in melee just cuz he was my favorite starfox character and i still will try him in brawl but i am way more of a snake fan than falco. However i might choose a char on the side. This one is also going to be based on who i like but it will be leaning more to fitting my play style perfectly or a WINNING character that i might like

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
Come oooooooon, There has to be SOMEONE you like over the others! =P
Honestly? I really can't decide! Lol.

I've been trying to come up with who I want my mains to be, but really, the majority of the roster is very appealing to me, so I've decided that its impossible right now. I'm just going to have to play the game first.

But... sigh.... I guess out of all the characters I can't wait to use... I'll just pick 3 at random:

Zamus, Ike, and Sonic.

And Lucario.

....and Lucas.

............................and Wolf.

SEE? Its impossible! I want to use just about everyone.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Both. I will use characters I like (I am a fan of many Nintendo franchises), but if theres's a good character that I like the playstyle of, I'll play that character as well. I may even main that character. I don't think of Smash Bros as just a Nintendo fanboy's wet dream. It's awesome as a stand-alone fighter and I would definitely like to play as a good fighter.

This whole idea of looking down on people picking good characters because they're good has to stop. It's playing to win. It's how the game advances.

TheZeroOne

Smash Apprentice
I liked Marth ever since I unlocked him 5 years ago, or so.

I liked him because he looks cool and has a nice flowing cape not to mention a cool sword. Although, I kinda thought he was a girl at one point. XD.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
In Melee, I played characters I liked or fit my play style.

I played Link, Ganondorf, Marth, Zelda and sometimes Ice Climbers and Samus.

I liked Sheik, Luigi, and Ness but didn't really play them.

In Brawl, I plan to switch from Link to Toon Link simply because he fits the style I want to play more. I will continue to play Ganondorf, Marth and Zelda. I may drop Ice Climbers simply because of wanting to test so many characters. Samus depends. I was never good at her.

I am going to play Luigi again. I need to test Lucas and Ness, but I think I am going to lean towards Lucas.

And I want to play Pokemon Trainer and Pikmin & Olimar simply because they look different. And I want to play Pit.

I have always hated Star Fox and the characters, but I am going to test Falco and Wolf to see if they fit my playing, since they are differentiating themselves. Plus I feel like it is my duty to play a Landmaster at some point. But chances are I won't play them.

I like Meta Knight, Dedede, Ike, Snake and Sonic. But Meta Knight is going to be played by like everyone and spammed. I would prefer to play someone other than everyone else.

Dedede looks too slow or impractical. Snake looks like he'd take forever to master, but I may play him due to my love for projectiles. But he looks much more like a novelty and I will probably lose as him. Sonic I don't want to play for the same reason as Meta Knight.

Ike I want to play. A lot. But again, I want to avoid playing the same person as everyone else. Also, I hate his Up+B as a recovery move.

However this always changes.

Fader

Smash Cadet
Metaknight, since I liked how he fought like in Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland on the GBA. The style is remarkably similar in SSBB, if not EXACTLY the same.

Ike, since PoR and RD were great games in my opinion. His appearance is also cool, and although Aether doesn't have the same effect as it would, it still looks cool.

Marth, since I've always liked his swift fighting style.

I'll pick up a good character should the time come. Otherwise, most of the fun comes from beating a better character with a lesser one.

Pharma

Smash Cadet
I haven't decided yet. But how good they are is definitely a factor. For example I probably want to main sonic, but if he turns out bad, or doesn't suit my playstyle I 'll choose someone else.

MewDorf

Smash Cadet
Santa Barbara, CA but currently Azusa, CA
It depends if you are playing to really win. If so you will most likely play as character you know have a good chance(which went down in brawl, everyone has a a more fair chance this time around) otherwise you can play as whoever. I play as both, sometime the ones i like happen to be good, yeah me.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I won't choose my main based on how good they are. It will probably be between Link, Snake, Ike and Wolf because I like all those characters a lot. Which one I choose will probably be based on which ones style I like the most, and which feels most comfortable to how I play the game.

spindash

Smash Ace
My main will be Sonic the Hedgehog, regardless of the limit of his metagame, wherever it may top. He's my favorite fictional character of absolutely anything; so that really speaks loudly for how excited I am that he is in this game.

If he has a limit, I'll just have to exceed it. Because that's what Sonic is all about.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Actually, now that I think about it...

Certain characters I only play in one-on-ones (I cannot play Marth in free-for-all for some reason) and some I play in both and some I play in just FFA.

So really, I play characters based on situations which vary between "because they're good" and "because they're fun/favorites".

I play against some crappy Fox/Falco players though. And I love it. Because I play as Ganondorf against them.

WhiteDragon

Smash Cadet
I don't know yet since I don't have the game, but I normally do one of each, as long as they all fit my play style. One is my competitive character (Marth/Shiek depending on the day lol), one is my straight up playstyle character (Pika/Ganon), and one is just the one I WANT to be good with (Yoshi in both games).

So far the styles that look closest to mine in Brawl are Sonic, Pika, and Toon Link, but I really have no idea what's going to happen once I start messing around. I usually end up half maining like half the cast anyway ;)

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I play Ganondorf because I like him. I play Marth because he fits my playstyle. So it's 50 / 50 for me. :)

HenshinHero

Smash Apprentice
I don't know at this point, but I have a tendency to get pretty well-rounded as all characters mostly due to the fact I'm joking around with my friends, but then I stick with the characters and end up getting pretty good as them, so I assume Brawl will be the same. However I do plan to make a trio th hail above all else.

Sonic
Falco
Maybe Ness or Pit

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I played characters that I liked over characters that I'm good with: Mewtwo was my main in Melee. But with Mewtwo out, I got 3 new candidates for the position of faveorite character: Pit, Wolf & Poke'mon Trainer. Fortunately for me, all 3 seem to be lgit butt-kicking machines & any of them could actually serve me well in serious competition.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I use every character just for fun...whoever the hell I main is whoever I'm good at but Smash has never put in a character I despise...

I don't like Toon Link or plan on using him very often...especially since I can't think of a good reason to have him involved with anything...He doesn't fit into my "Story" while playing...

Shuma

Smash Hero
I've always mained Mario and Samus, now i plan to main Wolf. So i don't care of those 3 are middle, top or lower tier or whatever. I use them because i like them.

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
I will use the characters I like more.

Toon Link & Link shall be my mains.

And I will never, ever, main Wario. Even if he's proven to be OMGALMIGTHYSUPERBYFARTHEBESTAWESOME TIER or if I'm OMGALMIGTHYSUPERBYFARTHEBESTAWESOME with him.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi, because turning people into eggs is utter humiliation, he's also been my favorite Nintendo character since Super Mario World.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I'm a huge tLOZ fan, so I will probably try to be adept with all of the characters from the title; Sheik/Zelda, Toon Link, Ganondorf, and of course Link. I'll probably play Link first, and then Sheik (those were my two mains in Melee) but will definately give them all a go and see who 'fits' me.

Even if the LOZ chars. suck, like I said, I'll be at least adept with them.... and if they end up being awesome, YAY FOR ME.

But, if they aren't that great, I'll prolly pick up someone who is pretty decent so as to be able to compete- I'm not that phenomenal of a player and I need a high tier ***** in my life.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I'm a huge tLOZ fan, so I will probably try to be adept with all of the characters from the title; Sheik/Zelda, Toon Link, Ganondorf, and of course Link. I'll probably play Link first, and then Sheik (those were my two mains in Melee) but will definately give them all a go and see who 'fits' me.

Even if the LOZ chars. suck, like I said, I'll be at least adept with them.... and if they end up being awesome, YAY FOR ME.

But, if they aren't that great, I'll prolly pick up someone who is pretty decent so as to be able to compete- I'm not that phenomenal of a player and I need a high tier ***** in my life.
That's actually what I tend to do first, and then I branch out into the other characters.

However I simply am not very good with Sheik.

As for Brawl, if Sheik is really nerfed, then I will probably be even worse as Sheik than I previously was. Link, however, I am just so mad about his boomerang and lack of knockback from some of his moves from what it looks like. I will still play him, since I can't resist Red Tunic Link, but I am probably gonna lean towards Toon Link.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I usually didn't play characters like Marth because I didn't like Fire Emblem, but I usually played every character depending one what everyone else was picking. I tend to lean toward Samus cause she had a robot look to her. Now that R.O.B is playable, well... robots are cool.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I usually didn't play characters like Marth because I didn't like Fire Emblem, but I usually played every character depending one what everyone else was picking. I tend to lean toward Samus cause she had a robot look to her. Now that R.O.B is playable, well... robots are cool.
I hate Star Fox and I've never played Fire Emblem. So I avoided their characters all the time. I wound up playing Marth at one point solely because I was having an issue with my one friend and he suggest a top tier battle, and I wound up finding I really liked Marth.

Did it cause me to start playing FE games? lol no. But I will eventually try one out.

Top Bottom