• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So much for a Zelda Master... XD

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
So I got a gamecube and a super smash bros melee game for Christmas yesterday. *YAY*

So I try using Zelda, and I lose every time with her. All of my lightning kicks miss, and when they don't, they don't kill anyone even when they're at 140% damage. (Like Samus and Link.)

I've been trying to time these, but:

My bro uses Link. Whenever I come near him with Zelda, he uses his Up and B attack to keep me away.

Samus, I think I'm just unlucky.

So I change to Sheik, and I dominate them all... :p I never thought I was good with Sheik...

But on topic, anyone have suggestions for me with my lightning kick problem?

Thanks in advance,
Zelda Master

Zone

Smash Champion
When you lightning kick, Zelda's entire body is a hitbox, meaning if zelda's head touches them when you kick, it'll make them flinch. But the real power is at the tip of her foot. That sparkly magic you see at her toe. You need to hit them with that to make the Foot work. When your not killing them at 140%, that means you did the weak version of the kick. Trust me you'll know if you did the strong version if they are all electrically shocked, and sent flying out of your range. Most likely if they are over 20-30% And you kick them with the Toe, you won't be able to follow up at all. Because they'll be sent too far away. Sometimes depending on the character, you can lightning kick---> into another one at low %s.

Simply: Just make sure the toe hits them. So make sure your zelda kicks so her feet are close to his body, and Zelda's head is away.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Ah, you changed into Sheik. I did once. I won. But afterwards, I felt like I used some evil power which would slowly corrupt and take over my mind... I became addicted to it... (Joking.)

I have very few ideas of what to do about the up-b problem. I tried approaching from above him and dairing him... don't do that. I suggest mind games. If you're a really good wavedasher, you can run up to him, wait for him to use up-b, and wavedash backwards. Wait for his attack to end, and punish (you should have some time, that move has a lot of lag). I know her wavedash is crap, so if you don't wanna do that, dashdance and do the same thing. Or jump (not short-hop) when he's just about to start, then kick his face off when he's vulnerable. Just be patient and wait for him to leave himself open.

GET THAT KICK DOWN. And I mean DOWN. Practice in training mode, lvl 1 computers, w/e. Just practice it against EVERY character. I suggest starting with Ganondorf; he's tall and easier to hit. Or Bowser. Then work your way to smaller, lighter characters, like Pichu and Jiggs. If you keep missing with the kick after this, you need to pay more attention to your brother's fighting/movement patterns. Imagine what he's going to do next, and act. Eventually, you'll do this without thinking about it. Master this move before you plan on fighting well again.

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
To Zone: Ah, the tip of the toe? Of course. Thank you. I now understand. I'll have to play test that.

Luthien: I mean it happens in the air. I wavedash when he uses it on the ground and give him a forward smash, but in the air, that's my problem.

Thank you though. I will practice using this new information.

Thank you both of you.

=)

Luthien

Smash Ace
To Zone: Ah, the tip of the toe? Of course. Thank you. I now understand. I'll have to play test that.

Luthien: I mean it happens in the air. I wavedash when he uses it on the ground and give him a forward smash, but in the air, that's my problem.

Thank you though. I will practice using this new information.

Thank you both of you.

=)
In the AIR?! I find Link's up b incredibly hard to land in the air (the last hit anyway...). If he catches you before the last hit, just DI.

DI away from him if his arial momentum is sending him backwards. The sword should miss you by a bit.
DI towards him if his momentum is going towards you. You pass behind him and his last hit should miss. I think. Try it out.

And if all else fail, triangle jump and massacre him as soon as he lands.

If you're edgeguarding him and he's using up-b, don't jump towards him horizontally, get above him. You need to be directly over his head and meteor smash with dair (only if he's at high %, though). Memorize Link's up-b's movement, and use that knowledge to your advantage. You should be kicking his butt in no time. ;)

Kit-Tsukasa

Smash Cadet
I can understand samus being a pain to kill since samus is great at surviving horizontally along with the recovery. Link, not so much though. As said before, get the kick down. The best way is to learn to keep your distance in the air. I find that a good way to practice is to just use Marth as a practice since he's the type of character that requires far physical distance to be used to his fullest.

Link has huge lag after the spin attack whether it is in the air or on the ground. On the ground, just shield and then jump out and kick. In the air don't chase him until he's out of the attack. If you're caught in the spin slash in the air, just DI.

For Samus, she has less lag and can be more deadly in aerial combat. Don't try to fight against Samus in the air since her priority are often greater than yours, especially a good Samus. Samus on the ground is a little less deadly, but double missles can hurt on certain stages. Just be patient and approach with caution. Use your range to combo Samus on the ground.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I feel that visual aids speak louder than words. Check out my thread with all the matches and stuff.
I have a sets with Samus, Link, Sheik and others.

All of the people I play really know their main characters inside and out so they very high paced.
Afterwards if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I will answer to the best of my ability. =w=

For convenience sake here's the link.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=122117

Zone

Smash Champion
I believe only visual aid with Explanation in Words >> than both. But for Video alone vs Words alone. I'd go with words, unless they absolutely can't understand it in words. Like captain falcon's moon walk. Telling me to half circle back doesn't seem to be helping me at all.

IF you look into the eyes of the learner, and you show them a video. Spacing - Priority - Tech chasing, Isn't so easy to catch. If your somewhat of a decent player, and you watch some pro vids, and you never went to a tournament before you may think you have a chance against pple who win big tournaments. That's because learning people, miss the depth in watching vids, because they haven't learned them yet. If a vid is shown to a learner, explanation in words is much needed.

Much like an 8 year old watching from the outside, you driving a car. You show them it's being driven, But they can't see how it's being driven because they haven't been taught that. IF someone who has been taught that, See's the car screeching into a 180, on a front wheel drive car. They'll know that guy just Pulled the E-brake and made a hard left on the steering wheel, because they already know the mechanics.

But anyways, here is a Vid when I changed to shiek once, and actually started getting my anus kicked. So I went back to Zelda. >.> yea Sad I know. This prolly won't teach anything, because only time Taco uses Up+B is out of shield, or if it's combo'd into it. OR a tech chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdR6_XejNcs
It's a pretty funny match lol. Taco's ridiculous Suicide attempt to kill me was too much lol.

Up+B should be the least of ur worry's Zelda Master. His Range'd game, should be more of a hassle.

S2

Smash Lord
If your bro is abusing Link's Up-B, try and trick him into using it when you are just out of range.

That move has a lot of lag at the end, so you can hit him afterward.

As for Zelda, keep in mind that she is not all that great of a character. You really have to play smart when you're using her, if you run around like a chicken without a head you won't last long.

Zelda's best arsenal is her F-air/b-air, d-smash, f-smash. She's got other tricks, but at the level your at, you'll want to first master those three.

It doesn't sound like your bro is playing at too high a level, so trick him into doing some of Link's laggier moves (if he misses a throw, an Up-B, etc) and kick away.

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
Thank you everyone.

DarkMusician, I'll check out that link. :)

Cetr, yeah, he and I are just beginning again, so we only know the basics, really. I thank you for that help though. :)

Kit Tsutaka, you wouldn't believe it. My brother's Samus is insane with survival. O.O Thanks for those tips. He doesn't really use missiles that much. Occasionally though, he'll send them out for some damage and minor distractions. >.<

But I would really like to thank Zone for that tip about the lightning kick. All of them are working 90% of the time now. Thank you so much. :)

Well, thank you everyone! Have a nice day! =D

TheLake

Smash Master
Wow zone...i've been reading around the zelda threads for a while now and your name comes up every now and then. But I think this is the first time ive ever seen any of your matches lol Funny fight (Blue dress zelda represent!!)

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Wow zone...i've been reading around the zelda threads for a while now and your name comes up every now and then. But I think this is the first time ive ever seen any of your matches lol Funny fight (Blue dress zelda represent!!)
Ya Zone is really good at explaining things. He knows alot of the more technical aspects of Zelda that I don't usually think about. :]

Zone

Smash Champion
lol I've been slamming all the advice I could around May 2007.

I know how to play this game like 90% now I feel. The rest is up to me to perfect Technical Skills, and Speed, and my defensive game(Baiting, shield, over-prioritizing)

I'm like a Underground Zelda. I post combo videos in the Misc Section so no one can see it Muha

Darkmusician

Smash Master
lol I've been slamming all the advice I could around May 2007.

I know how to play this game like 90% now I feel. The rest is up to me to perfect Technical Skills, and Speed, and my defensive game(Baiting, shield, over-prioritizing)

I'm like a Underground Zelda. I post combo videos in the Misc Section so no one can see it Muha
Ftw baby!!! v^_^

Top Bottom