• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So let's talk about freedom of speech for public employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
See, my ultimate concern with this is it allows the government to achieve things which they cannot achieve directly through police powers, indirectly through forcing the employees to agree with government policy or face termination.

Regardless of whether I agree with their opinion or not, the government should not have the right to punish anyone for having any viewpoint, or speaking out about it. I understand internal issues as appropriate grounds, but when it's a matter of public interest, it's wrong.

Also, keep in mind, this is a conversation about SHOULD, not ARE. That the government is unable to terminate people on the basis of expressing opinions on matters of public interest publicly is a settled issue (at least in America and since this is an American teacher, that is our focus), dealt with in such cases as Pickering v. Board of Education and Rankin v. McPherson.
I don't see this as a governmental issue though. It's normally an independent professional body that sets these rules. I also thought this case is about a private school.

When you take certain jobs, you agree you have duties. For example, a teacher is expected to interact with people in their classroom without discrimination. Now that everybody knows what this teacher thinks of gay students, it's a serious hindrance to work-life.

-Students and parents are unhappy if the teacher's views concern them. Why shouldn't a gay student/parent complain?
-The school is unhappy if this reflects on the teaching they promise to provide.
-Every time the teacher punishes or gives a poor mark to an openly gay student, there is a chance of a complaint (appropriate or not).
-Student-teacher relationship is destroyed for any gay student.

She wrote fairly inflammatory speech. You're right that this is a grey area because one can argue it won't affect the teacher's ability in the classroom. However, the points above remain. If a private school is unhappy with the situation they should be able to act in however they see fit, legally.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But would you have an issue if a private company fired someone for being a woman or gay?

:phone:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I don't see this as a governmental issue though. It's normally an independent professional body that sets these rules. I also thought this case is about a private school.

When you take certain jobs, you agree you have duties. For example, a teacher is expected to interact with people in their classroom without discrimination. Now that everybody knows what this teacher thinks of gay students, it's a serious hindrance to work-life.

-Students and parents are unhappy if the teacher's views concern them. Why shouldn't a gay student/parent complain?
-The school is unhappy if this reflects on the teaching they promise to provide.
-Every time the teacher punishes or gives a poor mark to an openly gay student, there is a chance of a complaint (appropriate or not).
-Student-teacher relationship is destroyed for any gay student.

She wrote fairly inflammatory speech. You're right that this is a grey area because one can argue it won't affect the teacher's ability in the classroom. However, the points above remain. If a private school is unhappy with the situation they should be able to act in however they see fit, legally.
No, this is a public school we're talking about (note that the news article said "school district", private schools don't have that), private school this is a non-issue, there's no first amendment issues to contend with at all. I don't know if that changes your argument at all, so i won't respond to the rest of your post.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Meh, while I would agree, both are off topic. We're in the realm of opinion here, picking things that are aren't an opinion will ultimately end up breaking down.

@SuperBowser: I think I was unclear, I'm interested in how the fact that it was a public school changes your opinion and argument. I'd like to see how you revise your opinion prior to responding to it in totality.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
The things that you post on the Internet (when it's not strictly private and unviewable to a stranger) are considered "published" (this is why if you post an essay on a forum and later try to sell it to a publisher it is considered a reprint). So this individual essentially published her views to a larger audience than she intended.

Soldiers don't have the freedom to openly express their opinions about their government while in the service. Some government workers are in a similar position. It's part of the job description, and it's fundamentally similar, whether you are a solider or a teacher. If you value your personal freedom very highly, you can't be a soldier. If you value your freedom of expression very highly, there are certain government jobs you probably shouldn't take.

As a government employee, you are getting paid through taxes. And who pays taxes? Everyone. That means that the parents of gay/bi/les/trans students are paying your salary, the same as the other parents. You are working for them, and they do get a say in how you treat their kids. Teachers are bound by "loco parentis." During school hours, they are legally responsible for the welfare of their students, who are minors. Parents will judge your character as a teacher because you are essentially taking on a parental role with their kids. They will put their children's well-being over the value of the expression of your opinions. Within reason, they are allowed to object to views which you publicize because you work for them.

LGBT is not an "idea." LGBT is people. That's the difference between bigotry and a difference of opinion. Psychologically, there are various levels of self identity. Sexual orientation is much closer to a person's core self than what political party they vote for, what baseball team they root for, or what their opinion is on the MK ban. Yes, it's even deeper than a person's views on which My Little Pony character is the best. That is why bigotry is treated differently than a difference in opinion.

A similar situation happened when a model when a contest and said she didn't support homosexual marriage and had her crown stripped off her.
IIRC, that was a beauty paegant held by a private organization. They have their own rules and critieria about what they want out of their contestants, and they fund their own activities. Their guidelines for what makes a good winner is up to them. If they want their winners to be skinny, pretty, passably intelligent, and non-discriminatory, then that's their choice.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The things that you post on the Internet (when it's not strictly private and unviewable to a stranger) are considered "published" (this is why if you post an essay on a forum and later try to sell it to a publisher it is considered a reprint). So this individual essentially published her views to a larger audience than she intended.

Soldiers don't have the freedom to openly express their opinions about their government while in the service. Some government workers are in a similar position. It's part of the job description, and it's fundamentally similar, whether you are a solider or a teacher. If you value your personal freedom very highly, you can't be a soldier. If you value your freedom of expression very highly, there are certain government jobs you probably shouldn't take.
That's not true, and if you in any way believe this, I STRONGLY suggest you read Rankin v. McPherson.

While there are certain rights and privileges you give up, it's only those that directly prevent you from doing your job. Freedom of speech (minus classified information) is not one of them.

So again, the topic is "should", have you considered the implications this precedent would have for other ideas?

As a government employee, you are getting paid through taxes. And who pays taxes? Everyone. That means that the parents of gay/bi/les/trans students are paying your salary, the same as the other parents. You are working for them, and they do get a say in how you treat their kids. Teachers are bound by "loco parentis." During school hours, they are legally responsible for the welfare of their students, who are minors. Parents will judge your character as a teacher because you are essentially taking on a parental role with their kids. They will put their children's well-being over the value of the expression of your opinions. Within reason, they are allowed to object to views which you publicize because you work for them.
They're allowed to object, but ultimately parents don't have the final say on hiring and firing decisions. The government does.

Why should the government (specifically the school board, which is a government entity) be firing teachers because it disagrees with opinions that they made outside of work, was in regards to something within the sphere of public interest, that was not about work, and that no evidence exists that it effected his/her performance in any way whatsoever?

LGBT is not an "idea." LGBT is people. That's the difference between bigotry and a difference of opinion. Psychologically, there are various levels of self identity. Sexual orientation is much closer to a person's core self than what political party they vote for, what baseball team they root for, or what their opinion is on the MK ban. Yes, it's even deeper than a person's views on which My Little Pony character is the best. That is why bigotry is treated differently than a difference in opinion.
No, but bigotry is an idea. Bigotry against LGBT people is no different then bigotry against gender or race in terms of the protections that should be afforded to it by the government (namely, the same as any other idea). The government can't just punish one side for voicing it's opinions just because it decided the other side is right.

As much I dislike her ideas, it should always be the right of a citizen of the united states to voice their ideas without fear of government reprisal.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm yet to see how is this anything other than personal bias.

I want people to give examples of sentiments on serious topics that they disagree with (eg. homosexuality, abortion, religion etc.) that they personally disagree with, but don't consider sackworthy. If you can't, you just have personal bias.

Again, what's the deal on abortion? Should you be sacked for being, pro anti, both, neither or not sacked at all? By your logic, it's not exactly clear what the solution is when it's a topic that has opinions divided more evenly.

At least if you say that any opinion isn't sackworthy, or reject freedom of speech and say only opinions the society/government agrees with are acceptable, yo uare being consistent and clear.

NNID
Budget_Player
Sexual orientation is much closer to a person's core self than what political party they vote for, what baseball team they root for, or what their opinion is on the MK ban.
This I buy. This...
Yes, it's even deeper than a person's views on which My Little Pony character is the best.
a) Citation needed
b) that's not an opinion, it's a fact (3-way tie between Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash). :glare:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You shouldn't be sacked. Guys, are you really trying to convince us that it's an opinion and not clear bigotry? There's a difference between being anti-abortion and hating an entire group of the population for no good reason.

-blazed
Anti abortioners may hate everyone who has had an abortion.

Plus, you don't have to hate gay people to be against homosexuality.

So there's still no difference.

NNID
Budget_Player
Anti abortioners may hate everyone who has had an abortion.
Yes, and claiming that that's the same thing as the general term "anti-abortioner" and not a category of its own is kind of ridiculous.

True. But just like in the anti-abortion example, this is not a case of her being against homosexuality on an objective, detached level. This is a case of her wanting all homos to burn in hell.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
@Dre. - I think there is no example to be given.

Freedom of Speech is intended to be limitless, with very few exceptions, such as making public threats on someone's life, for instance. What she did would be perfectly fine if she wasn't a teacher. Even if she was a web designer for the state transportation website, or a prison guard, or any number of government jobs. But she's a teacher. Teachers are a funny business. Everything is scrutinized. Parents, though they technically have no authority, can and will make complaints about teachers. Some go over fine. If a teacher fails a student, a lot of parents will blame the teacher, even if it's totally not their fault. They'll make complaints to the principal, and so long as the teacher has made good documentation, she'll be okay.

But something like this, makes the school look bad. If they don't discipline the teacher, they condone her ethics. I know this isn't actually true, but we're talking about joe-schmo typical parents. They WILL see this in such a light.

Not to mention what happens when this teacher gets a gay student. Or gay parents of a student. Parent-teacher conference, and in walks My Two Moms. Seriously, wtf, lol is she just going to be all nice? Can we take that chance? People are hired without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc. And this courtesy should be extended, nay reciprocated by the employed. I'd say ALL employed, but we're talking about public educators.

And, pft, it's totally Rainbow Dash :p

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Is anyone here aware of what stereotype threat is?

I would imagine that those who propose that holding contempt for a particular demographic has no effect on the teacher's ability to perform his or her duties has never heard of this phenomena before.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
@Dre. - I think there is no example to be given.

Freedom of Speech is intended to be limitless, with very few exceptions, such as making public threats on someone's life, for instance. What she did would be perfectly fine if she wasn't a teacher. Even if she was a web designer for the state transportation website, or a prison guard, or any number of government jobs. But she's a teacher. Teachers are a funny business. Everything is scrutinized. Parents, though they technically have no authority, can and will make complaints about teachers. Some go over fine. If a teacher fails a student, a lot of parents will blame the teacher, even if it's totally not their fault. They'll make complaints to the principal, and so long as the teacher has made good documentation, she'll be okay.

But something like this, makes the school look bad. If they don't discipline the teacher, they condone her ethics. I know this isn't actually true, but we're talking about joe-schmo typical parents. They WILL see this in such a light.

Not to mention what happens when this teacher gets a gay student. Or gay parents of a student. Parent-teacher conference, and in walks My Two Moms. Seriously, wtf, lol is she just going to be all nice? Can we take that chance? People are hired without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc. And this courtesy should be extended, nay reciprocated by the employed. I'd say ALL employed, but we're talking about public educators.

And, pft, it's totally Rainbow Dash :p
Ok, fairsies, but I don't see why the same doesn't apply in reverse. A pro gay teacher is probably going to be anti anti gays, or anti religious. Now why is that different? All you can say is "being gay is not a choice", but I don't see how that is anything but an insignificant arbitrary distinction.

When you bring up issues such as dealing with gay parents, what you're saying is that the problem isn't that she expressed her sentiments on FB, it's that it was merely discovered that she felt that way. Basically, having a certain opinion is sackworthy. The thing is, on this ground, a perfectly rational pro homosexual will technically be anti religious, and by simply having this opinion, parents of religious kids can make all the complaints you listed above.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Not to mention what happens when this teacher gets a gay student. Or gay parents of a student. Parent-teacher conference, and in walks My Two Moms. Seriously, wtf, lol is she just going to be all nice? Can we take that chance?

I would imagine that those who propose that holding contempt for a particular demographic has no effect on the teacher's ability to perform his or her duties has never heard of this phenomena before.
So, we're firing her because she might act in a bigoted and hurtful way? No. That's not how we do things in America. When she's found persecuting a gay kid, or making insensitive remarks in the classroom, then we fire her. If we fire her because she might, we might as well pull over every young black guy with a nice car and check for drugs (apparently, it leads to a lot of busts).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You know what, lets cut away all the straw in Dre's arguments and look at exactly what it is we're arguing.

Is what she said and her sacking against free Speech?

Here's the various descriptions of Free Speech:

American Constitution Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There was no attempt made to silence this woman (her FBook post I would imagine is still up, unless she removed it herself), so no sign of any impingement. But lets look wider.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"[e]veryone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Article 19 goes on to say that the exercise of these rights carries "special duties and responsibilities" and may "therefore be subject to certain restrictions" when necessary "[f]or respect of the rights or reputation of others" or "[f]or the protection of national security or of public order (order public), or of public health or morals"

We could probably argue that she didn't 'respect the rights or reputations of others' and since she's a teacher, her being sacked could fall under 'protection of public health or morals'

But lets go back to the oldest law for free speech

England's Bill of Rights.
"The free communication of ideas and opinions is one of the most precious of the rights of man. Every citizen may, accordingly, speak, write, and print with freedom, but shall be responsible for such abuses of this freedom as shall be defined by law."

Wow. Well that pretty much covers it exactly. "You're free to say what you want, but expect to be held responsible"

Her freedom of speech wasn't restricted.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's not true, and if you in any way believe this, I STRONGLY suggest you read Rankin v. McPherson.
I haven't read it, so thanks for the heads up.

While there are certain rights and privileges you give up, it's only those that directly prevent you from doing your job. Freedom of speech (minus classified information) is not one of them.
Anecdotal, so take it as you will: No one I've ever known who was in the military was ever comfortable in a phone conversation in which politics and government criticism came up, and they never gave their opinions. I'm going on that when I speculate that regardless of what is on paper, the culture of the military acts as its own censor.

So again, the topic is "should", have you considered the implications this precedent would have for other ideas?
Yes, but I am not convinced that this would set a precedent. This types of situations have come up well before facebook. It's common knowledge that employers often search the names of people they interview before deciding whether or not to hire them. Things from your private life, when you show them to the public, become fair game for criticism.

Why should the government (specifically the school board, which is a government entity) be firing teachers because it disagrees with opinions that they made outside of work, was in regards to something within the sphere of public interest, that was not about work, and that no evidence exists that it effected his/her performance in any way whatsoever?
I don't advocate that this individual be fired, but I only say that because of lack of experience in school administration. The only thing I disagree with in your list is the notion that bigotry is unrelated to the job of a public school instructor. Employees in public service, whether it's the DMV, the library, or EMS, are told to expect to encounter all classes of people. They are also told that they can't discriminate against anyone. This is part of their job criteria. So when an employer finds information that suggests that a person may not be able to perform their job, to me, that is good reason to investigate further. It may not require a dismissal, or even a reprimand, but it asks to be looked into.

If someone were snooping in her private files, hacking into her account, or something, and found information that way, then that would be a clear violation of privacy. But if it is information that was posted online, then it is information that has been made public. It is fair game for criticism.

No, but bigotry is an idea. Bigotry against LGBT people is no different then bigotry against gender or race in terms of the protections that should be afforded to it by the government (namely, the same as any other idea). The government can't just punish one side for voicing it's opinions just because it decided the other side is right.
This is not about punishing someone for their opinions, unless I've misunderstood the topic. This is about using information attained outside of the workplace to judge whether an individual is capable of performing their workplace duties.

Losing a job at the DMV as a driving tester because you are blind is not governmental bias against the disabled. It's a matter of whether or not you can perform your job duties. If I am your employer and I hear rumor that you are going blind, while I can't access your medical records because of confidentiality laws, I am probably going to ask you if the rumors are true. If you say they're not, I'm going to have to let that go, but I'm going to be watching you to make sure. Yeah, you may feel singled out and picked on, but at risk of you causing an accident, it would be irresponsible of me not to ask and follow up by keeping an eye on you.

As much I dislike her ideas, it should always be the right of a citizen of the united states to voice their ideas without fear of government reprisal.
I'm not sure if we are square as to what constitutes government reprisal. Student protesters executed in Libya faced government reprisal. Advocates under house arrest in China are facing government reprisal. Someone fired for voting for the Firefly party in a Rainbow Dash party dominated district is facing government reprisal. Being fired for being unable to perform your job is not reprisal. Being questioned and criticised as to whether or not you can perform your job is also not reprisal.

The saying goes, "With non-hate like this, who needs the real thing?"

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Mic- You can't just say my arguments are straw mans without explaining why they're straw mans.

Not only is that poor debating but there's nothing for me to respond to.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Mic- You can't just say my arguments are straw mans without explaining why they're straw mans.
Strawman: "Generally, the straw man is a highly exaggerated or over-simplified version of the opponent's original statement, which has been distorted to the point of absurdity. This exaggerated or distorted statement is thus easily argued against, but is a misrepresentation of the opponent's actual statement." ~Wiki

Basically you managed to get us to turn from debating wether free speech was impinged on to discussing the validity of homosexuality and comparing being a bigot to eating meat. That sounds rather absurd to me, hance why I decided to step back, forget that entire mess and get back to debating the actual thing you wanted to discuss: Is what she said and her being sacked against free speech?

How about responding to everything after that sentence in my last post.

NNID
Budget_Player

Even ignoring the "straw man" part, I think his explanation of what "freedom of speech" actually means kinda completely destroys your argument, no?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Even if it does destroy my argument, that doesn't mean they're SMs.

Again, the meat analogy was in response to saying that anti homosexuality sentiments is destructive. My point is eating meat is technically destructive too.

How is that a straw man?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ok, fairsies, but I don't see why the same doesn't apply in reverse. A pro gay teacher is probably going to be anti anti gays, or anti religious. Now why is that different? All you can say is "being gay is not a choice", but I don't see how that is anything but an insignificant arbitrary distinction.
I wouldn't have even cited that homosexuality is not a choice. The real point is that being anti-gay is unpopular. The school doesn't want to be unpopular. I know this isn't a great way to do business, but essentially schools and their employees have to be politically correct and nice. If it turns out a teacher is secretly a member of the KKK, they're gonna get fired, even if they've never once demonstrated anything in the classroom that presents as bigotry.

When you bring up issues such as dealing with gay parents, what you're saying is that the problem isn't that she expressed her sentiments on FB, it's that it was merely discovered that she felt that way. Basically, having a certain opinion is sackworthy. The thing is, on this ground, a perfectly rational pro homosexual will technically be anti religious, and by simply having this opinion, parents of religious kids can make all the complaints you listed above.
True. A pro-gay teacher in a fundamental christian community will probably not get hired, or if they do because they kept it quiet, and then it comes out on FB or Twitter or whatever, they may end up getting fired. Remember, in the US teachers are hired by community leaders (elected school board officials), so the community's majority will ends up being promoted in all things, especially in who gets to teach their kids 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year.

So, we're firing her because she might act in a bigoted and hurtful way? No. That's not how we do things in America. When she's found persecuting a gay kid, or making insensitive remarks in the classroom, then we fire her. If we fire her because she might, we might as well pull over every young black guy with a nice car and check for drugs (apparently, it leads to a lot of busts).
LOL what planet do YOU live on? We do pull over more blacks than whites because blacks are druggies. Okay, obviously that's a stereotype, but it's what happens. We're not changing the world or anything.

And rv's source exemplifies what I've been trying to point out. Bigoted teachers are a bad idea, even if they don't -overtly- do anything (like spit every time a gay student walks by). It could be in mannerisms, in speech, in attitude. It's too much of a risk to allow bigots to be in positions of community service, because you never know just how subtly they've subverting youth.

So basically, no bigots allowed. Does this trample on Freedom of Speech? Yes. Should it? Absolutely. Freedom of Speech is a right that we all enjoy. But if you exercise it, don't expect there to be no consequences. Just because you can't be arrested for saying something bad about gays, does NOT mean that the community has to sit back and be okay with you teaching their kids. The school board recognizes this conflict of interest, and will probably take action. Fired? Maybe not, but she darn sure will have to prove that she won't be in any way biased against gay students or parents.

Also it seems to have gone unnoticed, but what if one of her students had been the one to read her FB page? And they were gay? How's that supposed to make the kid feel? Is that situation worth the pretense of Freedom of Speech shall not be infringed?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Even if it does destroy my argument, that doesn't mean they're SMs.

Again, the meat analogy was in response to saying that anti homosexuality sentiments is destructive. My point is eating meat is technically destructive too.

How is that a straw man?

This thread is not for debating Strawmans and I (and I hope the others) will not be debating that with you in this thread.

Please debate the rest of my previous post.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You know what, lets cut away all the straw in Dre's arguments and look at exactly what it is we're arguing.

Is what she said and her sacking against free Speech?

Here's the various descriptions of Free Speech:

American Constitution Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There was no attempt made to silence this woman (her FBook post I would imagine is still up, unless she removed it herself), so no sign of any impingement. But lets look wider.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"[e]veryone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Article 19 goes on to say that the exercise of these rights carries "special duties and responsibilities" and may "therefore be subject to certain restrictions" when necessary "[f]or respect of the rights or reputation of others" or "[f]or the protection of national security or of public order (order public), or of public health or morals"

We could probably argue that she didn't 'respect the rights or reputations of others' and since she's a teacher, her being sacked could fall under 'protection of public health or morals'

But lets go back to the oldest law for free speech

England's Bill of Rights.
"The free communication of ideas and opinions is one of the most precious of the rights of man. Every citizen may, accordingly, speak, write, and print with freedom, but shall be responsible for such abuses of this freedom as shall be defined by law."

Wow. Well that pretty much covers it exactly. "You're free to say what you want, but expect to be held responsible"

Her freedom of speech wasn't restricted.
Mic, this is a case of "should" period, the fact that she can't be let go because of this incident. This is settled case law, again see Pickering v Board of Education and Rankin v. McPherson.

If you're talking about should (and I hope you are, because the universal declaration on human rights is irrelevant to american law, and the common law principal you cited is what informs our case law on the matter, as such you can't enforce it without enforcing the case law that defines what it means), lets discuss what the implications are of what you're proposing.

What you're saying is that the government has a right to hold you responsible for absolutely anything you say. While in current case law, the idea is that while the government can hold you responsible for the actual comments (in other words, the construction and implications of the comments) if they constitute an incitement to a criminal act or a few other narrowly defined things, the content (the idea contained within the statement) is immune from prosecution unless it's obscenity (a very narrow legal category).

However, you say that the government can only hold you responsible as long as they do not attempt to silence you. Yet you say that loss of position and other direct punishments are not attempts to silence, you are merely "being held responsible for your actions". Her facebook post was never taken down, so no attempt to silence her occurs, right there, you set up your standard.

Reductio Ad Absurdium time, well I'll be nice and rather then taking your standard of "as long as they don't actively suppress the viewpoint in the media that it was already put out in" I'll take that, plus "they prevent her from communicating her viewpoint further".

This means a whole host of ways to "hold her responsible" are still completely and totally legal. For example, the government could jail her for as long as they wanted, as long as she was still allowed to use facebook while in prison, heck they could still allow her to schedule public appearances but only under armed guard, and right back in prison after that.

Beyond prison, they could blacklist her from working in the United States. They could fine her mercilessly, they could bump up her tax bracket, they could prevent her from getting housing, they could confiscate all her possessions. Under your original implied standard, they could even execute her.

If we take your position, that the government may hold people responsible for the content of their remarks in general, it pragmatically kills free speech. Sure, the woman can still speak her opinion for all intents and purposes, but when the law permits the government to socially, economically, and legally ruin a person just based on the content of their remarks (again, obscenity exempted) then free speech is dead.

Heh? Stereotype effect is when a teacher makes a stereotype salient in the classroom, and makes the performance lean towards the performance expected in the stereotype.

Firstly, there aren't particular negative homosexual stereotypes in regards to academic performance that I'm aware of, and this teacher certainly didn't express any. Her objection was merely moral. This means that there was no real reason to expect her to express such a stereotype in class.

Secondly, choosing to express disapproval or negative stereotypes of homosexuals in class is part of her professional activities and would therefore not be covered under freedom of speech and a valid reason for dismissal.

I haven't read it, so thanks for the heads up.
Don't worry, most SCOTUS cases don't have hundred page decisions, this particular case has a quite short decision. I'd guess equivalent to 4 or 5 pages in a standard word document.

Basically, let me put it this way. A person who told one of his coworkers "I hope they get him next time" in regards to a presidential assassination attempt. He was a public employee, specifically in the county constable's office.

This remark was overheard by a third party, and he was dismissed. He sued and the court decided that the government had absolutely no right to punish him for expressing a political opinion about the president.

Anecdotal, so take it as you will: No one I've ever known who was in the military was ever comfortable in a phone conversation in which politics and government criticism came up, and they never gave their opinions. I'm going on that when I speculate that regardless of what is on paper, the culture of the military acts as its own censor.
And you'd probably be correct, military culture does have an authoritarian bent. At the same time, this isn't any sort of direct directive. They don't do it because they don't.

Yes, but I am not convinced that this would set a precedent. This types of situations have come up well before facebook. It's common knowledge that employers often search the names of people they interview before deciding whether or not to hire them. Things from your private life, when you show them to the public, become fair game for criticism.
Not so for most public employment including teachers, it's all done through the public service exam to avoid the issues of machine politics. Granted dismissal or removing from the pool of candidates, but the reasoning for both is identical and very strictly legally defined for very obvious reasons.

I don't advocate that this individual be fired, but I only say that because of lack of experience in school administration. The only thing I disagree with in your list is the notion that bigotry is unrelated to the job of a public school instructor. Employees in public service, whether it's the DMV, the library, or EMS, are told to expect to encounter all classes of people. They are also told that they can't discriminate against anyone. This is part of their job criteria. So when an employer finds information that suggests that a person may not be able to perform their job, to me, that is good reason to investigate further. It may not require a dismissal, or even a reprimand, but it asks to be looked into.

If someone were snooping in her private files, hacking into her account, or something, and found information that way, then that would be a clear violation of privacy. But if it is information that was posted online, then it is information that has been made public. It is fair game for criticism.
While I don't necessarily disagree, the it needs direct evidence of "on the job" discrimination to be legal. In that sense, it's worth some inquiry, but not worth removal, in and of itself.

This is not about punishing someone for their opinions, unless I've misunderstood the topic. This is about using information attained outside of the workplace to judge whether an individual is capable of performing their workplace duties.

Losing a job at the DMV as a driving tester because you are blind is not governmental bias against the disabled. It's a matter of whether or not you can perform your job duties. If I am your employer and I hear rumor that you are going blind, while I can't access your medical records because of confidentiality laws, I am probably going to ask you if the rumors are true. If you say they're not, I'm going to have to let that go, but I'm going to be watching you to make sure. Yeah, you may feel singled out and picked on, but at risk of you causing an accident, it would be irresponsible of me not to ask and follow up by keeping an eye on you.

I'm not sure if we are square as to what constitutes government reprisal. Student protesters executed in Libya faced government reprisal. Advocates under house arrest in China are facing government reprisal. Someone fired for voting for the Firefly party in a Rainbow Dash party dominated district is facing government reprisal. Being fired for being unable to perform your job is not reprisal. Being questioned and criticised as to whether or not you can perform your job is also not reprisal.
Which is fair enough, the issue is that no speech on the basis of content (again, in the legal sense meaning the idea behind it).

Legally, any negative consequences for the person caused by the government on the basis of the content of the idea is considered reprisal. Studying the teacher's interactions with LGTBA students is not considered reprisal, and is a fair result.

Again, this is off in a major tangent, but a worthwhile discussion regardless.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
adumbrodeus said:
Heh? Stereotype effect is when a teacher makes a stereotype salient in the classroom, and makes the performance lean towards the performance expected in the stereotype.

Firstly, there aren't particular negative homosexual stereotypes in regards to academic performance that I'm aware of, and this teacher certainly didn't express any. Her objection was merely moral. This means that there was no real reason to expect her to express such a stereotype in class.

Secondly, choosing to express disapproval or negative stereotypes of homosexuals in class is part of her professional activities and would therefore not be covered under freedom of speech and a valid reason for dismissal.
1. Stereotype threat does not only apply when it is made the focus of the experience. It also applies to subtle things such as identifying one’s race when filling out demographic information. I acknowledge that the science is a little shaky as to how far this effect goes, does it need to be expressly brought up, or can the presence of something or someone trigger the experience. We already know that simply bringing up race in a neutral context can invoke this negative reaction, so I don’t think it is too farfetched to suppose that the presence of a person who you view is hateful towards you can do the same (even if it based on evidence not attained within the classroom). I merely bring up this point to make the people who think that the inside-outside the classroom distinction is final a bit more skeptical.

2. I’m aware that the stereotype was moral in nature, but that doesn’t change the negative consequences of it. Instead of decreasing their academic performance, it would decrease their self-esteem (there’s a reason why homosexuals have a higher than average suicide rate) and perhaps as you mention, makes their performance lean towards the performance expected in the stereotype, i.e. acting immorally. Do you think this is consistent with the mission statement of the given school or for any school?

3. I think you need to re-word your second point.
Sucumbrio said:
And rv's source exemplifies what I've been trying to point out. Bigoted teachers are a bad idea, even if they don't -overtly- do anything (like spit every time a gay student walks by). It could be in mannerisms, in speech, in attitude. It's too much of a risk to allow bigots to be in positions of community service, because you never know just how subtly they've subverting youth.
It’s not that I think that it will leak into the classroom through mannerisms or attitude, but that the comments themselves have impacted the environment in the classroom. I think it is safe to assume that given the national attention that these comments have gotten that the students in that school are well aware of the comments.
OK, I’ll bite. How is eating meat destructive to the learning environment in the classroom?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Mic- You still haven't explained how my arguments are straw mans. You made the claim, so the burden of proof is on you.

As for that post, we're discussing whether those laws are fair or not, not what they are.

And so I'm guessing you'd have no issue with a teacher getting fired from a Catholic school for expressing pro gay sentiments to a friend who dobbed her in?

Sucumbio the same question goes to you too.

Edit: Rv- It's destructive in the same way as anti homosexuality in the classroom is. If an anti gay does not express that sentiment in the classroom, then the 'destructiveness' is in the type of sentiment it is, presumably it's 'destructive' in the sense that it is against a certain party, a party which many people argue don't deserve that ,discrimination. Believing it is ok to kill and eat animals is no different, it is discriminating against a certain party, which many people argue don't deserve that discrimination, but it's even worse in that we actually do literally destroy them and their habitats for our own consumption. Also, for the 'what if the teacher has to meet a gay's parents, or gay parents?' well 'what if a teacher has to meet vegetarians?' or 'what is a pro gay or actually gay teacher has to meet religious .?'

I personally just can't see how it's reasonable to fire someone for something that isn't a crime, that wasn't done in the classroom, when there has been no other issue with their professional competency. This is different to not hiring someone on the grounds of anti gay sentiments, because you are looking for the most professional competence, and that person's professional competence is yet to be established because you haven't seen them in action. However, in the case of firing someone, their professional competence has been established because their was no other issue with their teaching.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Dre. said:
Believing it is ok to kill and eat animals is no different, it is discriminating against a certain party
This is false. Eating meat in no way implies making a judgement about another party. Eating meat in no way implies discrimination against another party.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
And so I'm guessing you'd have no issue with a teacher getting fired from a Catholic school for expressing pro gay sentiments to a friend who dobbed her in?
Well Catholic schools are private, so it'd be even less of an issue than for a public school to do the same thing.

I'll say it again. Freedom of Speech only protects you from criminal charges. Anything else goes.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Whether or not you get fired for saying something public that your employer doesn't feel is appropriate is no where in there. That counts for all employers including public and private schools.

And now I must agree we're getting off topic...

Should the school be legally empowered to sack her
Depends. If she was tenured, then they'd have to find "enough" to fire her on. If not, then she's still an at-will employee and they can fire her with no justification, legal or otherwise.

Should they? That's a different question, and one which has spurned 5 pages of debating, but for this key factor, I think it's cut-n-dry:

From the New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers and School Leaders

3.1 How a person’s world view is profoundly shaped by his or her life experiences, as mediated by factors such as social class, gender, race, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age and special needs;

3.5 Respect for individual and cultural differences, and appreciation of the basic worth of each individual and cultural group;

3.7 Create a learning community in which individual differences are respected;

3.8 Learn about the diverse students they teach, and the students’ families and communities;

A bigot, which she is, by definition is incapable of adhering to these standards, and has no business teaching.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This is false. Eating meat in no way implies making a judgement about another party. Eating meat in no way implies discrimination against another party.
What I'm referring to is discrimination against animals, in that one is saying animals have less rights than humans, and it is ok to kill and eat them. Many people feel that animals deserve the same rights as us, so this view is equally as destructive.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
What I'm referring to is discrimination against animals, in that one is saying animals have less rights than humans, and it is ok to kill and eat them. Many people feel that animals deserve the same rights as us, so this view is equally as destructive.
And this is destructive to the learning environment how? Can you please stay on topic. We are discussing the pedagogical fitness of a teacher and your comments have so far been irrelevant. Please tie them into the discussion or refrain from posting.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
And how is an anti homosexual, who has never expressed their sentiments in the classroom any more destructive to the learning environment?

That was my point, it didn't affect the classroom, so the person who called it destructive must be saying that the sentiment itself is destructive.

A sentiment is only destructive to a learning environment if it is expressed in that environment.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
And how is an anti homosexual, who has never expressed their sentiments in the classroom any more destructive to the learning environment?
I have already outlined above how this can effect the classroom.
That was my point, it didn't affect the classroom, so the person who called it destructive must be saying that the sentiment itself is destructive.
As far as I know, you have not made a point as to how it did not affect the classroom. Please justify this assertion.
A sentiment is only destructive to a learning environment if it is expressed in that environment.
This has been shown to be false by experiment as it relates to stereotype threat. +1 to science.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
As far as I know, you have not made a point as to how it did not affect the classroom. Please justify this assertion.This has been shown to be false by experiment as it relates to stereotype threat. +1 to science.
Supposing that is true, the students weren't aware of her sentiments because they weren't expressed in the classroom.

I addressed this point earlier. Stuff like this only comes into play when hiring, because you are aiming for who you perceive will have the most professional competence, and it's understandable to assume that a bigot will have less competency than a non-bigot. However, in the case where ther sentiments are uncovered once they already have the job, and their professional competence has never been in question up until this discovery, the stereotype is irrelevant because she was clearly a competent teacher.

And why is the burden of proof on me to show her sentiments didn't affect the classroom? The default position should be that they didn't affect the classroom because the classroom wasn't aware of them. The burden of proof is on you to show that in a case like this where the sentiment is not expressed in the classroom, that it will have a negative effect.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Dre. said:
Supposing that is true, the students weren't aware of her sentiments because they weren't expressed in the classroom
So a teacher in your school gets covered in the national media and word doesn't reach the students? You're stretching my skepticism here. Anyway, its not hard to find testimony from those from the school:
Samantha Abreu, a 16-year-old junior at the school, said during the meeting’s public portion that she took pride in the display because she is gay.

"The exhibit kicked in with the new bully law, and it should have been accepted," Abreu said. "Then she bashed it and I felt disgusted and no longer felt safe."-nj.com
Dre. said:
However, in the case where there sentiments are uncovered once they already have the job, and their professional competence has never been in question up until this discovery, the stereotype is irrelevant because she was clearly a competent teacher.
This doesn't follow. Simply because someone is a competent teacher in the past doesn't mean that their actions don't affect that assessment.
Dre. said:
And why is the burden of proof on me to show her sentiments didn't affect the classroom? The default position should be that they didn't affect the classroom because the classroom wasn't aware of them. The burden of proof is on you to show that in a case like this where the sentiment is not expressed in the classroom, that it will have a negative effect.
Because the classroom does know about the comments. I simply stated it as an assumption since I thought everyone would agree with it. Do you really not understand the strength of word of mouth communication? Moving along, since we know that the classroom is aware of the situation from the above testimony, the question is whether these comments will influence the dynamics of the learning environment in a negative way. We already know of a mechanism which allows this to happen and testimony from a student indicating that the safe learning atmosphere has been jeopardized. I fully accepted the burden, and have since asked you to support your position, so please do so.

Battlecow

Play to Win
LOL what planet do YOU live on? We do pull over more blacks than whites because blacks are druggies. Okay, obviously that's a stereotype, but it's what happens. We're not changing the world or anything.
Mind-boggling amounts of no. We shouldn't pull over black people because they might have drugs, and for the same reasons, we shouldn't fire teachers because they might betray homophobic tendencies.

Like I said before- find me some evidence that she's doing her job improperly, and I'll say "fire her." Until then, go **** yourself, because the government shouldn't fire people for holding political views.

So basically, no bigots allowed. Does this trample on Freedom of Speech? Yes. Should it? Absolutely. Freedom of Speech is a right that we all enjoy. But if you exercise it, don't expect there to be no consequences.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbkkOmFvjJc

Freedom of speech means that there ARE NO CONSEQUENCES FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR SPEAKING YOUR MIND. That is the ENTIRE POINT of the first amendment.

Just because you can't be arrested for saying something bad about gays, does NOT mean that the community has to sit back and be okay with you teaching their kids. The school board recognizes this conflict of interest, and will probably take action. Fired? Maybe not, but she darn sure will have to prove that she won't be in any way biased against gay students or parents.
Sure, OK, she has to say that she won't be in any way biased against gay students or parents. That's a given. She still shouldn't be fired if she gives no indication of bias in the workplace.

Also it seems to have gone unnoticed, but what if one of her students had been the one to read her FB page? And they were gay? How's that supposed to make the kid feel? Is that situation worth the pretense of Freedom of Speech shall not be infringed?
Freedom of Speech is not a pretense. No one's feelings are more important than the constitution of the United States of America.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Rv- It only got national media attention because it's controversial, if everyone agreed on the actions taken there wouldn't be any media attention, such as when someone gets fired for stealing.

Also I'm abit confused, according to this stereotype thing, are anti gays hindered by gay or pro gay teachers, or animal rights activists hindered by teachers who aren't?

Basically, is a student hindered by any teacher with s conflicting philosophy to them?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
1. Stereotype threat does not only apply when it is made the focus of the experience. It also applies to subtle things such as identifying one’s race when filling out demographic information. I acknowledge that the science is a little shaky as to how far this effect goes, does it need to be expressly brought up, or can the presence of something or someone trigger the experience. We already know that simply bringing up race in a neutral context can invoke this negative reaction, so I don’t think it is too farfetched to suppose that the presence of a person who you view is hateful towards you can do the same (even if it based on evidence not attained within the classroom). I merely bring up this point to make the people who think that the inside-outside the classroom distinction is final a bit more skeptical.

2. I’m aware that the stereotype was moral in nature, but that doesn’t change the negative consequences of it. Instead of decreasing their academic performance, it would decrease their self-esteem (there’s a reason why homosexuals have a higher than average suicide rate) and perhaps as you mention, makes their performance lean towards the performance expected in the stereotype, i.e. acting immorally. Do you think this is consistent with the mission statement of the given school or for any school?

3. I think you need to re-word your second point.
It’s not that I think that it will leak into the classroom through mannerisms or attitude, but that the comments themselves have impacted the environment in the classroom. I think it is safe to assume that given the national attention that these comments have gotten that the students in that school are well aware of the comments.
Ok, I understand your point.

At the same time, a person whose slightly less fit to be a teacher on the basis that her opinions MIGHT be found out by the students who then will be in some manner affected by the stereotype effect is absolutely no justification whatsoever for enshrinement of the effective death of freedom of speech, as I just pointed out to Mic.

This is especially true considering that the stereotype threat doesn't work in the manner you seem to perceive it in.

The content of the stereotype has to be made manifest in some way before it actually affects the person.

Secondly, "homosexuality is immoral" isn't a stereotype, it's an opinion about something discrete. It doesn't necessarily bridge into a stereotype of behavior beyond that within the group (though there are stereotypes of homosexuals, this feeds into the prior point).

Thirdly, the data on this only actually deals with academic performance, as well as the results of academic performance. It does NOT dealing with the effects of non-academic stereotypes in any area.

Sufficient for what we're giving up? Definitely not.

As far as I know, you have not made a point as to how it did not affect the classroom. Please justify this assertion.This has been shown to be false by experiment as it relates to stereotype threat. +1 to science.
No, not directly expressed, but made salient. In other words, it can be said, illustrated in action, or something of that nature.

Dre needs to work on his meat-eating point more methinks, he hasn't really explained the significance of why they're comparable.

Depends. If she was tenured, then they'd have to find "enough" to fire her on. If not, then she's still an at-will employee and they can fire her with no justification, legal or otherwise.

Should they? That's a different question, and one which has spurned 5 pages of debating, but for this key factor, I think it's cut-n-dry:

From the New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers and School Leaders

3.1 How a person’s world view is profoundly shaped by his or her life experiences, as mediated by factors such as social class, gender, race, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age and special needs;

3.5 Respect for individual and cultural differences, and appreciation of the basic worth of each individual and cultural group;

3.7 Create a learning community in which individual differences are respected;

3.8 Learn about the diverse students they teach, and the students’ families and communities;

A bigot, which she is, by definition is incapable of adhering to these standards, and has no business teaching.

But what about the implications for our legal system if it was possible to sack her? What about the implications for freedom of speech?

A little side-note worth mentioning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ivrcVSdaM

Kinda old, and kinda long, but really kinda relevant to this discussion.
Posting something that baldfaced opposes your viewpoint?

Who are you, and what have you done with BPC?!

Also, he should've let them try, and then he should've sued. I know a million not for profits that would've taken the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom