• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So it looks like we got our starting roster already.

Eaode

Smash Champion
My point is that we don't know. I'm not saying that all three Kirby characters won't be starters. Just in my opinion, that seems unlikely, at least one of them should have to be unlocked.

Again, Sakurai says he's a little laid back with secret characters this time, so we don't really know.

He said third party characters will be unlockables, but we don't really know it that will remain true.

Basically, all I'm saying is, don't jump to any conclusions.

Zek

Smash Ace
My guess is that everyone revealed except Snake and Sonic are starters. I can only assume at this point that Captain Falcon is an unlockable again for some bizarre reason - why else would he have been withheld over the 2 month character drought? Maybe Sakurai just wanted more of the starters to be newcomers.

Boofer

Smash Ace
If you check out the commercials for SSB64 in Japan, they showed all 12 characters on it. Yes.. every single one of them.

I'm guessing Brawl could have around 16 Starters.
If Brawl had only 16 (which I completely doubt) what revealed characters would be unlockables?

Darkurai

Smash Master
They definitely are for sure. Unlockables are considered spoilers, they wouldn't put spoilers in a boxart (and even commercials). They have all of the starters in the Melee boxart. So yeah, this makes sense.

I reworded my post. I meant to say that Luigi is very likely an unlockable (but to my eyes he's definitely one), and C. Falcon MAY be an unlockable if the site decided to not show him before release, considering how everyone on the site so far besides Snake and Sonic are confirmed starters. (Commercials, Boxart and I'm pretty sure both Event and Co-op Event matches the newcomers are playable at some point early on.)

I guess time will tell.
Funny story, spoilers have been on a box before. The back of the Tales of Symphonia box says "the fate of two interlocked worlds hangs in the balance."

CrazyFoxBrawler

Smash Cadet
http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/is-this-the-super-smash-bros-box-art-296894.php?mail2=true

Everyone on this picture is a starter. This leads me to believe that Dedede will be unlockable even though he is shown in the commercial. I have nothing to base this on accept logic. Movie previews show bits and pieces of the ending, but it doesn't tell you everything, but the movie poster sure won't tell you anything accept what it is about. Same thing here in my eye. Dedede is shown, but is part of the end. The boxart is doesn't lie.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
Funny story, spoilers have been on a box before. The back of the Tales of Symphonia box says "the fate of two interlocked worlds hangs in the balance."
That will most likely not happen for Smash. Maybe they might mention 3rd party characters on like the back but who knows until a couple of weeks later. But, most likely, they will not spoil on a box cover.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I doubt all three kirby characters will be starters, its just like an overload

Mario had 3starters in melee, and hes got 3 in Brawl. sakurai CREATED the Kirbyverse, so its not an overload.

Why would Lucas not be a starter?

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
i think lucas is gonig to be a starter so that makes 20 starters and probably then something around 15 or so secrete characters making a total of 35 characters.
why 35? thats not enough. i've heard that we may have up to 60 characters, which is a lot, but hey, i'm not complaning.

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sonic will be in the starting roster because for E3 Sakurai was like "Hmm...what to do about Sonic...I guess I'll make him playable for the demo". So yeah I really doubt him. In fact, all 3rd party are probably unlockables.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I doubt all three kirby characters will be starters, its just like an overload
I agree. We get only 3/5 (there will be AT LEAST 5 MARIO STARTERS!) Mario characters as starters, and 2 or 3 (whether Shiek is in the game or not, or is a Zelda transformation or own character slot)/5 Zelda characters as starters. 3/3 Kirby starters makes NO SENSE! But this is Sakurai, so you never do know. Funny how everyone who is calling you a fool Eadoe, are the real fools. The probably believed that old "Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, and Mr. Game & Watch won't return and Wind Waker Link replaces Young Link, and Bowser Jr. and Ridley will be in Brawl" rumor. Quotoing from stupid sites and commercials proves NOTHING!

Then again, in the Events mode updates, we do see that King Dedede is in the first event and Meta Knight is like a few events away in the beginning part of the game.

Melee had like 14 or 15 starting characters in the list, and so far we may see like 16-20 characters available from start now.
Maybe that is when/how you unlock him, or one of the ways.

Then again, all websites and movies say different.
Never listen to websites. THEY BELIEVE THE DUMBEST RUMORS! LIKE GAME AND WATCH, DR. MARIO, AND THE ICE CLIMBERS WON'T BE IN BRAWL!

FAIL!

My point is that we don't know. I'm not saying that all three Kirby characters won't be starters. Just in my opinion, that seems unlikely, at least one of them should have to be unlocked.

Again, Sakurai says he's a little laid back with secret characters this time, so we don't really know.

He said third party characters will be unlockables, but we don't really know it that will remain true.

Basically, all I'm saying is, don't jump to any conclusions.
QFT. ALL of it. We just don't know. And for all you people who think that a commercial proves that King Dedede is a starter and that all Kirby characters will be starters, I don't remember seeing Meta Knight in the commercials. O, and IN THE MELEE COMMERCIALS (and trailers), THEY SHOW UNLOCKABLE CHARACTERS, like Jiglglypuff and Luigi!

FAILURE!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I say 20 is the starting roster, considering we are so close and the game was meant to release a long time ago when the updates were first being made.

Everyone but Snake and Sonic, Zamus is just a transformation. Snake, Sonic, Falcon, and whoever else we expect are unlocked in SSE and other modes.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Was Zelda in any of the commercials? I don't remember seeing her. Jigglypuff and Luigi were in the previous game, but Dedede and PT are total newcomers, and they're getting plenty of exposure. There's no way to tell for sure, but at any rate, calm down will ya?

EDIT: That was at Johnknight

Boofer

Smash Ace
I agree. We get only 3/5 (there will be AT LEAST 5 MARIO STARTERS!) Mario characters as starters, and 2 or 3 (whether Shiek is in the game or not, or is a Zelda transformation or own character slot)/5 Zelda characters as starters. 3/3 Kirby starters makes NO SENSE! But this is Sakurai, so you never do know. Funny how everyone who is calling you a fool Eadoe, are the real fools. The probably believed that old "Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, and Mr. Game & Watch won't return and Wind Waker Link replaces Young Link, and Bowser Jr. and Ridley will be in Brawl" rumor. Quotoing from stupid sites and commercials proves NOTHING!
I'll say one thing. If a franchise with 2 characters can have both of its characters unlockable (Fire emblem), then a franchise with 3 characters can have all of its characters starters. It's true that you can never be too sure with Sakurai, but I'm basing this on a couple things. Dedede and Metaknight will probably be starters because:

1. Metaknight is on the boxart, and in past SSB games only starters were shown on the boxart.
2. Dedede is in the first event match and a playable in the third.
3. Metaknight was revealed since the very beginning. We've known about him almost since the game was announced.
4. Dedede is in a public commericial, yet Nintendo for some reason has a closed lid on unlockables for the game. Why would they reveal secrets on a commercial if Nintendo is hell bent on not even showing us the starting roster? Obviously Nintendo wants to surprise us.
5. Metaknight was playable at E4all. Sonic is a special case because he is a "guest."

QFT. ALL of it. We just don't know. And for all you people who think that a commercial proves that King Dedede is a starter and that all Kirby characters will be starters, I don't remember seeing Meta Knight in the commercials. O, and IN THE MELEE COMMERCIALS (and trailers), THEY SHOW UNLOCKABLE CHARACTERS, like Jiglglypuff and Luigi!

FAILURE!
Did they really show Jiggs and Luigi in the Melee Commercials? Do you have proof? I didn't know that. But then again, were Jigglypuff or Luigi in the first few event matches?....

Like I said, 3 kirby starters is not confirmed, but all these things I've mentioned are the closest thing to a confirmation there can be.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
Was Zelda in any of the commercials? I don't remember seeing her. Jigglypuff and Luigi were in the previous game, but Dedede and PT are total newcomers, and they're getting plenty of exposure. There's no way to tell for sure, but at any rate, calm down will ya?

EDIT: That was at Johnknight
Yeah, Zelda was in the commercial where they show small bits of gameplay.

00Elf

Smash Journeyman
I'll say one thing. If a franchise with 2 characters can have both of its characters unlockable (Fire emblem), then a franchise with 3 characters can have all of its characters starters. It's true that you can never be too sure with Sakurai, but I'm basing this on a couple things. Dedede and Metaknight will probably be starters because:

1. Metaknight is on the boxart, and in past SSB games only starters were shown on the boxart.
3. Metaknight was revealed since the very beginning. We've known about him almost since the game was announced.
4. Dedede is in a public commericial, yet Nintendo for some reason has a closed lid on unlockables for the game. Why would they reveal secrets on a commercial if Nintendo is hell bent on not even showing us the starting roster? Obviously Nintendo wants to surprise us.
5. Metaknight was playable at E4all. Sonic is a special case because he is a "guest."

Did they really show Jiggs and Luigi in the Melee Commercials? Do you have proof? I didn't know that. But then again, were Jigglypuff or Luigi in the first few event matches?....

Like I said, 3 kirby starters is not confirmed, but all these things I've mentioned are the closest thing to a confirmation there can be.
You had to fight Luigi in one of the early stages of 64's singleplayer, even before you unlocked him.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
Maybe that is when/how you unlock him, or one of the ways.
Although, it wouldn't really make sense to unlock him like from Event 1 of the game. Same with Meta Knight's event being number 3. They most likely available from start.

Boofer

Smash Ace
You had to fight Luigi in one of the early stages of Classic's singleplayer, even before you unlocked him.
Are you sure about that? I didn't see luigi outside of adventure mode until after I unlocked him.

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
We can't claim this is the starting roster because we don't know who requires unlocking, nor can we claim we know all the characters.
We can't claim this isn't the starting roster because this is one possible arrangement.
Ergo, we don't know if it is or not.

Why keep arguing?

Tpoto

Smash Cadet
Maybe they didn't show Snake and Sonic because they have very specific 3rd party rights... I don't know alot of legal stuff about that but maybe...

Jeo

Smash Rookie
Although, it wouldn't really make sense to unlock him like from Event 1 of the game. Same with Meta Knight's event being number 3. They most likely available from start.
It would make sense, Sakurai has stated that he wants us to "play every inch of this game"
throwing an unlockable character into the first event is the best way to get people to try that mode.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
I would think that they should at least hint at Sonic in the game when advertising the commercials. Like make him go really fast in a blur so you'd only wonder and think if you didn't know about him.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Like i've (and many others) have been saying for month, the dojo probably is the starting roster. Except for snake and sonic that would be 20 characters, a logical number.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I heard that dede and PT were in another commercal(sp)( sorry dial up so can't watch for myself)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

That was because both weren't even suppose to be in the game outside of Japan, and Sakurai clearly did not want everyone else to know outside of Japan right off the bat.

1. Yes, but I was more refering to King Dedede.

2. Luigi was in the first adventure mode match.

3. Intrestingly enough, Jigglypuff was leaked very early. But again, I was more leaning towards King Dedede being possibly a secret character.

4. So was Luigi and Jigglypuff in Melee.

5. Again, King Dedede. He could be unlockable in the first event match. Heck, Kirby could be a secret character for all we know. The point is, we know nothing.

Yep, and they were "leaked" similar to Ganondorf and Shiek (well actually it was a lot more evidence, and before Sakurai made a big deal of it). I guess Sakurai was "forced" to confirm them early. Again, I agree none of this is confirmed-but it is still possible King Dedede isn't a starter. It's just some people are jumping to conclusions. The Pokémon Trainer could be a secret character, and Lucas a starter for all we know, and Lucas wasn't show in the commercials. All I'm saying is people-stop jumping to conclusions. You end out being wrong a lot. Certain stuff like commercials are something to consider, but are not all of what you should draw your analysises on. O, and as far as we know, Sonic is a starter. >_>

O, and all the confirmed characters were shown in the trailer minus Meta Knight (oddly), Sonic the Hedgehog, Lucas, and Solid Snake. Or at least, that's all who I saw wasn't in the commercials. And the online looks like it had LOADS more options in the Japanese Wi-Fi Commercial-so that's good news! :)

Edit: While the dojo minus 3rd party characters now seems like the probably roster, a certain big nipple bounty hunter *could* join them (but someone is trying to mindgame us with him). So that is a 21 character starting roster. But who cares about the starting roster, it's all about the full roster. O, and maybe Sakurai will tell us how to unlock the secret characters like in the Melee Dojo. :)

Igneous42

Smash Ace
If they were willing to show unlockables on the site then there is no reason to not have updated a character since DeDeDe. Sure you can say they want to save some surprises, but honestly there are still vets we pretty much know will be in that aren't on the site. Luigi, Jigglypuff (probably?), Ganondorf (though probably with new moves), Captain Falcon. I'm pretty sure the site is the starting roster except for the 2 third parties.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Thank you Johnknight.

Guys, we really shouldn't jump to conclusions. I will repeat, it seems odd to have 3 out of 3 Kirby characters as starters. And why do people keep using Mario as an example? Mario could have 4 or 5 starters because it's freaking Mario!

Maybe Dedede is unlocked in that first event match? We don't know. In Smash 64, you have to face Luigi in like the 2nd or 3rd stage of 1 player mode, even if you hadn't unlocked him. Anything can happen, so we shouldn't base conclusions off of things like this.

Again, I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying we should jump the gun here.

Top Bottom