• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So it looks like we got our starting roster already.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
I still don't think we're getting any new characters until after the game is released, or else we would have gotten one around Christmas, since by then it was two months since DeDeDe.

I'm pretty sure that they weren't planning for the delay and would have just gone with one month without characters (November), the game ships in japan at the end of that month, and we get it in a week or two afterward. (or were we getting the game first? either way, Dec. 3rd was the first week of December, would have still been one month with no characters)

So all the updates we're seeing now is just to stretch it out until at least the japanese launch.

So what we have now is either the starting roster, which would make a lot of sense if you go by the whole roster growth rate between the three games in the franchise, or we're seeing us start with like 8 characters, and unlocking a ton in your first few hours of SSE.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
^ Put it this way- Brawl was originally suppose to be released Dec 3rd. They announced the delay to Feb 10 in mid October. The two months of November/December needed to be filled. So its possible January will get back on track with good updates as the game is close to launch in Japan. Because the updates for January could be like those for November. [If the game hadn't been delayed]

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
King Dedede is playable in Co-Op Event matches. (Yes, in one of the first 5 matches he's playable)

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
Sakurai said something very important a while back,and I quote.

Sakurai~"When you have a battle mode that runs online like Basic Brawl, the problem of what to do with hidden characters arises. If one of your opponents chooses a character you haven’t unlocked yet, it will be spoiled for you immediately.

But even without this mode, given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway.

So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters.

You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary. For those of you who look forward to those encounters, I recommend you clear this mode before playing Basic Brawl.

And as the case has always been, I’ve made it so you can play the characters you unlock in battles."

This obviously means that, the Subspace will be the main point of unlocking characters.And "given the proliferation of the Internet these days"that maybe most of the characters that we know now are gonna be just throw in the game when you first drop in.It really isn't necessary to discuss the starting roster because the game is about to be release in a few weeks (Japan) just wait until then to know all the characters and spoil all the over speculative wonder you guys have.Although I'm gonna try to stay off this board when it's released because all characters will be spoiled, but whatever.

And please don't quote my post because it's kinda stupid.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
Wow! I thought of the exact same thing!
This wasn't completely obvious/sarcasm

Sorry if I sounded a bit rude in that post.
Oh, and Shadow312, you forgot to edit out part of the background from the screenshot king dedede's sprite was in.

Clumber

Smash Cadet
Has anyone thought that Zelda might be an unlockable? I'm guessing it would probably be if you save her from Petey Piranha. The lack of any updates about her indicates that there is probably something being kept hidden about her...possibly because she just has really cool moves or something, but more likely she's an unlockable so they don't want to give away much before you get her.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Has anyone thought that Zelda might be an unlockable? I'm guessing it would probably be if you save her from Petey Piranha. The lack of any updates about her indicates that there is probably something being kept hidden about her...possibly because she just has really cool moves or something, but more likely she's an unlockable so they don't want to give away much before you get her.
If Zelda is unlockable, I will film myself eating my hat. Zelda has very few updates because of Sheik.

Jeo

Smash Rookie
If Zelda is unlockable then shes the last one i'll be unlocking. Im saving Peach no matter what (and Peach is most likely a starter) so Zelda is going to have to wait a long time before I attempt to save her. Seriously thats messed up why even have to choose if one of them is unlockable...its almost forced

Captain Badass

Smash Rookie
I know that Melee's Box Art didn't have any unlockable characters on it. It only had the 14 starting characters, but I have no idea if the commericals did. I never saw them

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Back then SSB64 wasn't so secret about unlockables. Howto play had luigi, the intro showed shapes of the secret characters, the polygon team had some based on unlockables. Melee however was more secret about them. I'm sure Brawl would probably be just like that too.

Top Bottom