• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I'm playing against Marth, and I'm off the stage. What do I do?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I'm at a loss here...once I'm off the stage against Marth I just have to hope that he misses or hits me with a really weak move and allows me to come back. :urg:

Renth

Smash Hero
if you up b backwards with ganon his body is closer to the stage. Makes it easier to wall tech the f smash/d tilt whatever

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
What renth said.
really, if the marth knows what hes doing, you gotta tech it.

If you cant tech it, do a warlock punch, its the coolest looking way to die

spider_sense

Smash Champion
haha, the only possible way to get back the edge against a marth is to do an up aerial. so hopefully he'll block it and you'll have enough time to get back on the edge. You really have to think outside the box when trying to recover back on the ledge

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Watch where they are at the edge. If they're standing right at it, sometimes you can actually recover under the arc of their sword and land on the stage. You'll have landing lag, but... what can ya do?

Oh, and you can also try airdodging back onto the stage. Sometimes you can bait an fsmash that way.

Magus420

Smash Master
*Save/replenish your double jump then sweetspot the edge with it whenever at all possible. He won't be able to hit you from on the stage if you do it right.*

If you can't do that then either go low and up-b (reversed is easier to edgetech like Renth said) -> edgetech -> up-b or overshoot up-b to possibly grab them with it if not then -> edgetech -> up-b. Mixing up those two when forced to up-b makes it more difficult for them and sometimes catches them off guard when you do use it high up unexpectedly.

Practice SDIing to get the edgetech since you almost always need to with him if you can't reverse the up-b and don't overshoot the edge. The end of your up-b when not reversed pushes you away from the edge making it less likely that just ASDI will make you hit the edge so you can tech.

If they're close to the edge you can mix in doublejump u/f-airs from underneath the edge too, but mainly when you can't reach the edge with the jump. Airdodging is also another thing to do if close enough, and preferably if you aim it so it ends very close to the ground.

Magus420

Smash Master
A Marth would very rarely be that close to the edge so that an edgetech walljump to b-air would hit him though. If he's spaced fully even an up-b often won't reach and that goes way onto the stage. If he does space that far though you can reverse the up-b and it should avoid it.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
what you say is true magus.... its still **** cool though :D
Thx, I managed to pull it off 4 times at Pound and it saved me in a couple of matchups. Sometimes trying to tech and do another up-B can do more harm. For example, I teched in a match against M2K and as soon as I leapt off of his body from the up-B, he just jumped up and spiked me to my doom (he was at low percent). If the marth has bad spacing, do the bair, but otherwise try to get that extra percent with the up-B.

Another method I used to recover against M2K (Oh god, it is so hard to come back against him, he comes after you :dizzy:) is by using your up-B just below and in front of the edge rather than going low, because sometimes the extended grab range will get the Marth's hand as he tries to fsmash you. I got desperate trying to recover, so I tried some different stuff. I know it sounds stupid, but it worked :chuckle:

Top Bottom