• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I need help with olimar

IC Khaos

Smash Rookie
I have been reading up on ice climbers for a while now and have gotten to be able to use them against my friends with some effectiveness. I still can't get the cgs down right but Im working on it. Now the problem is olimar. I had never played someone who had olimar as one of their mains. we played two matches and I was pretty epically beaten the first time. The second it was close on the last life but I found that he had no trouble seperating my ics. First of all his pikmin eat up my icicles I tried short hopping them over and had mixed success. all in all it was a losing exchange. squall works well but olimar was so good at seperating me that I couldn't squall. oli's dsmash hits nana off in such a ridiculous trajectory away from me that it makes it really hard to save her so she usually dies. olimar's grab range is larger than mine, I think he outranges me in a lot of situations. I usually get hit through uair. oli's smashes also work well to tear my ic's apart. I did a lot better the second time around but Im not sure what to do or if Im missing something. Any pointers? Thanks

smaci92

Smash Lord
I suck against olimar with any character I use for some reason lol so I won't be much help. but one thing I find helps: killing all his pikmin. and another thing: olimar has and amazing ground game...so I try to keep it in the air.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Do you desync? Cuz in some cases that can be useful against some of Oli's laggier attacks. Also, as always, be on the lookout for gimping opportunities...if he's right next to the edge, a simple jab can knock him off and lead to easy gimps, especially with two edgehoggers--but this is probably common knowledge lol nvm

I agree w/ Diddyknight, blizzards are awesome. Also, short hopped ice blocks can work wonders, as long as you don't spam it too much (he'll catch on and jump at you).

Rykard

Smash Ace
olimar can be a pain. also his forwad smash goes through your squall anyways so if you are using it in a way he could easily see it coming, dont

there really isnt anything specific on this matchup that can be told though. really its just a matter on being smarter than then olimar player and landing a grab when it matters most. blizzard and the "combos" you can do out if it like up'airs and such are the only thing i could say but they work against every character so i dont see a need to really say that.

plus you also wont beable to spike him cause his up b grapple will usually metor cancel until about 70%+ i believe so footstool to downtilt off the edge will get him away and low enough for him to not recover as easily, but dont take my word for on it for working 100% of the time

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I usually play patient against Olimar. Just learn to space him, and desynched blizzards are your best friends in this fight.

If you don't know already:

-If Olimar executes a grab, the Pikmin will walk towards you.
- If it's a Fsmash, they fly head first toward you.

Just in case you have trouble telling those attacks apart.

The Blue ones have longer reach while purple ones are the strongest but lacks range. It would help if you do some homework on Olimar and see what the Pikmin do.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I usually play patient against Olimar. Just learn to space him, and desynched blizzards are your best friends in this fight.

If you don't know already:

-If Olimar executes a grab, the Pikmin will walk towards you.
- If it's a Fsmash, they fly head first toward you.

Just in case you have trouble telling those attacks apart.

The Blue ones have longer reach while purple ones are the strongest but lacks range. It would help if you do some homework on Olimar and see what the Pikmin do.
And whites do tons of damage when thrown and latched (SideB). Also, I think Whites have longest grab reach.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
so olimar sucks against ic's. just go in with squall hammer and if trys to grab u, he'll grab only one obviously. grabbing is such a big part of his game and grabbing only one climber will mess him up. so basically spam squall hammer and u win. trust. if u want to camp for some reason jump and then ice shot if pikmin are in the way.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
olimar is one of the easiest chars to 'nate throw (imo), but on wifi its very hard =/

Try hitting him when he has the other IC in a grab.
As soon as he grabs you.. SMASH his ***!

Ice block lock works pretty **** good Vs him.

Dont get to far away from him or he'll camp your ***!

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I suck against olimar with any character I use for some reason lol so I won't be much help. but one thing I find helps: killing all his pikmin. and another thing: olimar has and amazing ground game...so I try to keep it in the air.

Yeah, I also suck against any olimar. I try to get at an angle above him or behind him. It's hard to get up close and grab him, but when you do, you'll be able to cg away.

lordterken

Smash Cadet
Do not kill the pikmin because he can pluck pikmin at all time be side the air And :) try the best you can. PS i'm a olimar mainer

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Uhm... no, kill the Pikmin. He'd have no more time of plucking them back if one is killed. So used your Ice Blocks and Blizzard to kill 'em.

Top Bottom