• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I looked at Lucario in PSA today.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Sakurai is an ******* for making this character so **** complicated.

Some of these coding ideas are pretty brilliant though, like the loophole for making aura boxes appear without needing them to be attached to bones by making a fake "aura bone" at Lucario's pivot point, and then making oversized, completely offset invisible hitboxes appear out of nowhere in front of Lucario's paws.

I laughed at that bone thing really hard because directly before I realized it was the case, I was joking about how Sakurai probably put some aura blob at Lucario's feet that randomly morphs when Lucario feels like using an aura attack, or something to that extent...then I realized that was EXACTLY how it worked lol.

God I need sleep.

Edit: after more looking, Meta Knight is just like Lucario, but even more extreme with his lack of bones. Like everything is mapped to the 0 bone... which instead of actually being attached to anything, is just a spot by his pivot point, which explains his "transcendent"priority on nearly all moves, as well as our transcendent priority on our aura.

...MK is boneless, but apparently not spineless.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Interesting ans thanks for looking into this, if you do have a sec could you check to see if Lucario's hurtboxes when he uses FTilt/FSmash? Its kinda weird how he ducks his head and if timed right he'll duck it under lasers/Pit's arrows/etc. Like his hurt box seems like it would be higher than what I've thought it was. Might give some more potential to Ftilt and timing FSmash under lasers if it lasts for a decent amount of time.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Interesting ans thanks for looking into this, if you do have a sec could you check to see if Lucario's hurtboxes when he uses FTilt/FSmash? Its kinda weird how he ducks his head and if timed right he'll duck it under lasers/Pit's arrows/etc. Like his hurt box seems like it would be higher than what I've thought it was. Might give some more potential to Ftilt and timing FSmash under lasers if it lasts for a decent amount of time.
Don't see anything out of the ordinary on his ftilt. Fsmash seems normal as well, other than those three freaking huge floating offensive collision bubbles that make up his fsmash.

That probably has to do with most of brawl being "offensive collision bubbles" that are mapped to the bones directly rather than "hitboxes" and "hurtboxes" like a traditional 2D or sprite-based fighter. It probably has to do with Lucario literally ducking under the lasers while performing the move, or moving his head in a weird way. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason is that the lasers go between his ears lol.

Another good example of the Z-axis messing with us like that is Lucas's charge animation for his fsmash. Try shooting lasers at him while he's charging. It won't hit because he moves his head.

...On a REALLY weird note, I don't see anything that says that his Usmash or his Fsmash should be able to clank with anything, as all hitboxes are mapped to the pivot-point-based bone 0. ... but... they do... So maybe I just need to research more on how the game actually works mechanics-wise. Maybe clanking only occurs if a collision bubble overlaps the bone... I need to ask someone who actually knows this stuff now.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
If i didnt live with programmers, i wouldnt have understood what the heck your talking about :D

hough123

Smash Ace
Does PSA mention Lucario's boost at all? I don't know what it is, but it sounds like a data dump of characters.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It doesn't, at least where I've looked.
It's kind of a work in progress, as things such as smash attack data are incomplete, but it's pretty good to look at for frame data.

iRJi

Smash Champion
It doesn't, at least where I've looked.
It's kind of a work in progress, as things such as smash attack data are incomplete, but it's pretty good to look at for frame data.
I <3 PSA.

I was with phil while he was looking at it, and I saw some myself on my own time. Lucario as a character is complicated lol. I think thats another reason why I like him more, because people still think he is straight forward.

What we need to do, is get the frame data for his lingering hit boxes as planned. PSA doesn't give enough info for that to be expressed, and need some old fashion looking at to see how it all works.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, as soon as I start hacking my wii (finally got around to getting Homebrew on my Wii), I'll find the debug mode code and stick it in, then we can get the full stuff :D

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Even if we do get the infomation whats have some of the other boards done to use it to their full advantage.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I <3 PSA.

I was with phil while he was looking at it, and I saw some myself on my own time. Lucario as a character is complicated lol. I think thats another reason why I like him more, because people still think he is straight forward.

What we need to do, is get the frame data for his lingering hit boxes as planned. PSA doesn't give enough info for that to be expressed, and need some old fashion looking at to see how it all works.
Actually, PSA tells you exactly how long each attack lingers, lol.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah whoops :p

Too bad it doesn't have ALL the specifics, like the start time for chargeable things (like smashes) and whatnot

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
good work!thanks!
<o_o>; Why is this guy banned on his first post...? Second account or something?

Anyways, lmao, seems interesting, even though I don't quite know yet how character bones work or what *exactly* they are. I can infer the general concept of it, though.

...PSA... is this an online thing, or were you hacking your copy to get the information? ^._.^

Top Bottom