• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I hear that the nerfs are coming.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
People ***** too damn much. Link is not top 3. Take a moment to realize how grandiose a statement that is. I'll wait.

Exactly.
Top 10 for sure. I'm just glad we live in a world where top 10 is grounds for a nerf. If we follow this logic we'll all be maining paper plates by version 5.0.

People blur the line between "Good" and "Broken."
"Hard to deal with" and "Overpowered."
Instead of trying to get better you just want to throw out the B word and place the blame on something other than yourself.

And this isn't even coming from bias. If I really felt it was busted, I would want it to be toned down. Link is borderline perfect where he is.

Shinryuenjin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shinryuenjin
Try playing peach against a link that knows what hes doing then tell me he doesn't deserve a nerf or two...
Yeah, it is definitely an uphill battle for Peach. I usually just end up shielding or Nairing the boomerang, or not getting hit by it at all. Still, they nerfed the boomerang's distance a couple patches ago. Hard to see another nerf coming because of that.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The distance "nerf" was not to make the boomerang worse, but to re-purpose the way you use it. It's arguably better because of it's new distance.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
about the ppl talking about noone placing with link. its not always about the placings. noone placed with zero for the longest time in marvel even though he's broken as all hell.

I think link could use some slight tweeks but he's fine where he is for the most part.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
about the ppl talking about noone placing with link. its not always about the placings. noone placed with zero for the longest time in marvel even though he's broken as all hell.

I think link could use some slight tweeks but he's fine where he is for the most part.
Thing is, you can't predict "broken". True, there could be some breakthru that suddenly leads to Link-only top 10's (wow can you imagine that?), but you don't FIX the problem before it exists.

Link owns scrubs. Scrubs complain a lot. Thus Link has a lot of hate. (all similar to Melee Peach), but he's not the best char in the game. He's probably not top 3. I'm not sure I would put him top 5, and would at least debate top 10.

It always bothers me when people bring up that M2K thought (thinks?) he was (is?) #1 in the game. We all know that M2K doesn't shy away from the "broken" chars, so why haven't we seen Link2King yet??

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
People ***** too damn much. Link is not top 3. Take a moment to realize how grandiose a statement that is. I'll wait.

Exactly.
Top 10 for sure. I'm just glad we live in a world where top 10 is grounds for a nerf. If we follow this logic we'll all be maining paper plates by version 5.0.

People blur the line between "Good" and "Broken."
"Hard to deal with" and "Overpowered."
Instead of trying to get better you just want to throw out the B word and place the blame on something other than yourself.

And this isn't even coming from bias. If I really felt it was busted, I would want it to be toned down. Link is borderline perfect where he is.
Give his bombs the detonation timer from melee (8 seconds) and he IS perfect.

I WANNA DO MORE BOMB RE-CATCH TRICKS!!

THE BOMBS DON'T LAST LONG ENOUGH!!

JDM6413

Smash Rookie

Big difference. Zero is high execution, and had tons of tech to be discovered. Not only that, but UMVC3 was new, PM is essentially an add on to an old game. Link is not broken or NEAR as good as Zero. This is coming from a Zero main.

Not to mention Marvel is a team based game, and a lot of the broken things in that game come from character synergy, not explicitly broken singularly.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Like M2K once said, the PMBR should just let the metagame develop rather than making drastic buffs/nerfs to all characters. Eventually we'll figure out the "broken" characters like Diddy and Mewtwo. That being said, have any of the whiners actually meet people who know the Link matchup on the back of their hand?

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
Lucky to the world. Almost everyone in the world plays Fox, LINK, and Mario. So people should be able to learn those matchups fast if they devote time. I am a Kirby main and I get my character called OP all the time. Same goes for my gf who mains Zelda. Stop trying to compensate for the lack of play skill by insulting us, and learn to play the game. Except mewtwo who has like 2 bad match ups thus far. We'll have to play the waiting game for that guy.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
so far in my experience, I have heard no fewer than 22 characters are "broken" or "OP" in real life.

Let that sink in. Over half the cast is too much better than the average.

The takeaway? Complainers don't understand this game. keep on keeping on.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Try playing peach against a link that knows what hes doing then tell me he doesn't deserve a nerf or two...
He doesn't deserve them just because of the Peach matchup. Good and bad matchups are a reality of having 41 viable characters.

It always bothers me when people bring up that M2K thought (thinks?) he was (is?) #1 in the game. We all know that M2K doesn't shy away from the "broken" chars, so why haven't we seen Link2King yet??
Too busy training up a pocket Ness :troll:

D

Deleted member

If Link is nerfed I'm quitting.
No Link wins anything other than locals.
So how do you feel about the limit to one z-tether per air time in the newest blog post? Sounds like a huge nerf to Link and his ability to regrab.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Not Nick, but I'm not particularly worried by this. Link isn't the only one getting hit by it and I feel that it's ultimately a fairly minor change to his capabilities. He's still got a good recovery with options, his onstage game is fantastic, etc.

It's not really a nerf in the overall scheme of things if everyone near or above you gets dragged down as well and nobody rises to fill the void.

Last edited:

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
They should slow down the boomerang start up but keep it's combo ability except that it will be a much shorter window.
As for link's "bad" match ups I would like to remind everyone that link has many great moves. experiment and expand the metagame.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
So how do you feel about the limit to one z-tether per air time in the newest blog post? Sounds like a huge nerf to Link and his ability to regrab.
It just means that tether cancel up-b is going to be the cool thing.
I'm fine with it, other characters that pretty much rely on tether have it MUCH WORSE now.
We can dair them for landing~

D

Deleted member

They should slow down the boomerang start up but keep it's combo ability except that it will be a much shorter window.
As for link's "bad" match ups I would like to remind everyone that link has many great moves. experiment and expand the metagame.
why would they slow the boomerang startup? it's perfect how it is.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Dude.... if I'm close enough to you, I can bounce you around with that boomerang like 5 or 6 times before you even DI enough to stop it, assuming I don't short hop FAIR you when I'm done.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Dude.... if I'm close enough to you, I can bounce you around with that boomerang like 5 or 6 times before you even DI enough to stop it, assuming I don't short hop FAIR you when I'm done.
Boomerang doesn't work that way.

And any player worth their salt would punish you hard for attempting to throw boomerang so close to them.

Last edited:

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, as long as I can AGT for days, I don't need to be able to tether more than one time.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
If there's not also a nerf to the distances of multiple AGTs and Link's horizontal aerial movement, I will be shocked...

Considering how they seemingly over killed Lucas, I'm not too hopeful at the moment

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
If there's not also a nerf to the distances of multiple AGTs and Link's horizontal aerial movement, I will be shocked...

Considering how they seemingly over killed Lucas, I'm not too hopeful at the moment

If they mess with the distance of AGT's, that'll do MUCH more than just hurt his recovery.

So I'm hoping the PMBR doesn't take that route.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm thinking a nerf to the distance of successive AGTs, so the first one is same as now, second one before touching ground is half and so on.

J3f

Smash Cadet
I don't see them nerfing AGT's they're predictable and easy counter like Lucas's PK Thunder 2, and icing on the cake they do damage to you making you easier to kill with the next touch.

I like the changes made to Lucas except the universal changes of 1 regrab only and the forced lag reel in. Changing the distance of Zair and nerfing magnet stall really would have been enough.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Boomerang doesn't work that way.

And any player worth their salt would punish you hard for attempting to throw boomerang so close to them.
A bad player would be randomly tossing boomerangs like that, I wouldn't. A good player knows how to read and do proper follow ups with the rang. If I nail you with a close range rang (and it's NOT as you make it out to be) I'm going to rang you till you DI away and juggle you with it. Just because YOU haven't done it, doesn't mean I haven't and that other people haven't, because they have. Also, when you DO get your DI out of the rang juggle, you'd get a SHFAIR to the face. short and simple.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A bad player would be randomly tossing boomerangs like that, I wouldn't. A good player knows how to read and do proper follow ups with the rang. If I nail you with a close range rang (and it's NOT as you make it out to be) I'm going to rang you till you DI away and juggle you with it. Just because YOU haven't done it, doesn't mean I haven't and that other people haven't, because they have. Also, when you DO get your DI out of the rang juggle, you'd get a SHFAIR to the face. short and simple.
You can't just spam rangs like that, there's this thing called a shield you know? You also could swat away rangs with any pretty much any attack. Boomerangs up close in melee range don't work either, practically any move will out-speed and out-priority it. If you got hit by a fair while still in the hitstun from the rang then you simply got outplayed, that is a legitimate followup for Link and a required combo for his playstyle.

Boomerangs aren't OP, you just haven't learned how to deal with them yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
You only get the pop-up from throwing the boomerang close to your opponent.

If you're that close throwing the boomerang, anyone who knows how to play the Link MU will punish you.

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
This thread is funny haha

I love link and I would put him top 10 easily in pm
For the people complaining about the boomerang, I feel it's fair as is for combos... Maybe the rethrow speed on catching MIGHT be too fast but that's it really, other characters have exploitable combo options as well so it's nothing new
Also some Nairs go straight through the boomerang, so give that a try against the random throws from less experienced players

The whole thing with m2k saying link is the best was speculation I feel... He started saying that after he beat my brother and I in doubles when we were a double link team (which we lost horrendously btw),and I'm sure he's matched a bunch of other links as well... but I don't doubt for a second that he's up there for teams

As for the tether nerf.. It was probably called for, I commend the team for this one actually, but I don't think it's going to affect links recovery all that much to be honest; his recovery is easily among the best in the game without the multi tether mechanics, I just hope they don't reduce his up b range as well

On another note, link gets very easily thrown off up close, especially with grab heavy characters, and he is relatively easily combo'd as well, which is why I feel his space coverage suits him so well. For those who have a hard time with link try working in the punish game against him

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Lol you cannot juggle rang into rang even at medium damage percents. I'm not even 100% sure if there's knockback growth with the boomerang, but even if there is, it's so tiny that it's almost irrelevant. Plus, when the boomerang connects with any target at any range, it has to return before being thrown again. Even at point blank range, you have to wait like half a second to throw it again.

And like others have said, if you're throwing the boomerang that close to an enemy, you're doing it wrong. It has some noticeable windup to it even if it is quick, and any player worth their salt is going to punish you for it because it's not smart and easy to spot.

Speaking of salt, I'm assuming you're a salty player and don't know the matchup. Been getting wrecked by Link? Learn the matchup. Not interested in learning the matchup? GG, have fun getting bodied by Link. Your profile says you're a Lucario Main on Project M. Lucario has a rather even matchup with Link if I'm correct, and shouldn't be getting 100% bodied. You're probably being outplayed.

tl;dr? Just learn the matchup and please stop complaining about a character being OP when they aren't. It will save everyone a lot of headache in the end.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
It's possible to hit someone at decently high percentage with boomerang and before they can react out of the hitstun, hit them with the boomerang again if they are close enough, meaning that link is one the only characters who can consistently combo his projectle into itself. It comes out slightly too fast.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's possible to hit someone at decently high percentage with boomerang and before they can react out of the hitstun, hit them with the boomerang again if they are close enough, meaning that link is one the only characters who can consistently combo his projectle into itself. It comes out slightly too fast.
Hitstun doesn't last that long from boomerang for that to be possible.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Mario Fireball.

Top Bottom