• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Would it be possible if you took a bus from New York to Toronto? Or any other sort of transit?

And can you advertise the tourney whenever you can please? >.< Thank you if you do XD

Sieguest

Smash Master
Hey guys I just realized that I never actually introduced myself to these forums so here I go lol. You may have seen a few small comments around the boards i've made but nothing groundbreaking.

I'm a casual brawler turned competitive through just wanting to kick my friends' ***** and I have acomplished that goal through my two main, IC's and marth. Some say that they are a strange combo, but they both have a defensive/patient play style that I really love. However IC's are DEFINITELY more fun. I picked up chain grabbing fairly quickly, but I've been a gamer for years so all it really took was one day without friends family or healthy food. Since then I've played in about 4 small tourneys were I actually saw a few amazing player like ninjalink and ally, and didn't get very far. But as I was finally starting to lose my tourney nerves unfortunately my only source of brawl fell to the lack of community in Brooklyn, or in New York. I've been trying to find a weekly/biweekly tourney, but until then I'll just have to keep myself loose against my fail friends.

And that is my wall of text/ intro to the icgd =]
@________@
Hi there :O

I dont know who to root for anymore, Icies, Marf, Region, underdogs, ~_~.

Too many choices.
A combination of them all?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Hey guys I just realized that I never actually introduced myself to these forums so here I go lol. You may have seen a few small comments around the boards i've made but nothing groundbreaking.

I'm a casual brawler turned competitive through just wanting to kick my friends' ***** and I have acomplished that goal through my two main, IC's and marth. Some say that they are a strange combo, but they both have a defensive/patient play style that I really love. However IC's are DEFINITELY more fun. I picked up chain grabbing fairly quickly, but I've been a gamer for years so all it really took was one day without friends family or healthy food. Since then I've played in about 4 small tourneys were I actually saw a few amazing player like ninjalink and ally, and didn't get very far. But as I was finally starting to lose my tourney nerves unfortunately my only source of brawl fell to the lack of community in Brooklyn, or in New York. I've been trying to find a weekly/biweekly tourney, but until then I'll just have to keep myself loose against my fail friends.

And that is my wall of text/ intro to the icgd =]
its not even worth it to bring you down. i already know that you will more likely than not drop ICs. you live in a fairly inactive areas, and the tourneys you do go to you get ***** at. if the lack of a health smash community doesn't kill you then never winning will. as with most people "switching mains", you have a firm understanding of your original character of choice (marth). that begin said, even if you do keep going with ICs, marth will always be your better character as long as you still use him. be it the matchups or the fact that people repeatedly beat your climbers you will, inevitably, return to marth. its a comfort zone and the character that you know the most about.

by all means, you can continue trying to use ICs, but be aware that unless you can manage to join an active community you will go nowhere. you can go to every tourney from now till december and still never place any higher than you are now unless you actually get it together to join a community and play on a regular basis. even then, though, i still see you falling back to marth as you primary character. its not a question of if you can do it (it never is), but one of whether or not you will keep with it. humans like to feel safe. you know marth and feel confident in using him as a character. you've only recently picked up ICs and they are still a new character for you. since you've just entered the tourney scene you'll be experiencing a lot of changes very quickly and will most likely revert back to what you know, which jsut happens to be marth.

swordgard

Smash Hero
its not even worth it to bring you down. i already know that you will more likely than not drop ICs. you live in a fairly inactive areas, and the tourneys you do go to you get ***** at. if the lack of a health smash community doesn't kill you then never winning will. as with most people "switching mains", you have a firm understanding of your original character of choice (marth). that begin said, even if you do keep going with ICs, marth will always be your better character as long as you still use him. be it the matchups or the fact that people repeatedly beat your climbers you will, inevitably, return to marth. its a comfort zone and the character that you know the most about.

by all means, you can continue trying to use ICs, but be aware that unless you can manage to join an active community you will go nowhere. you can go to every tourney from now till december and still never place any higher than you are now unless you actually get it together to join a community and play on a regular basis. even then, though, i still see you falling back to marth as you primary character. its not a question of if you can do it (it never is), but one of whether or not you will keep with it. humans like to feel safe. you know marth and feel confident in using him as a character. you've only recently picked up ICs and they are still a new character for you. since you've just entered the tourney scene you'll be experiencing a lot of changes very quickly and will most likely revert back to what you know, which jsut happens to be marth.

Frozenhobo, man your so cynic.

Eh, the only thing that really matters is: Zero hour, are you willing to try and improve, and work for it very hard? That is all that really matters.

r3d d09

Smash Master
we are talking massive hours. you may think you know stuff. maybe you do. but can you apply everything you know properly?

willing to put forth massive amount of hours to make this happen?

Do you go to save nana or not? if player A does X, how will i respond to X, will i take it to the face for a chance of a grab, or avoid it and continue?

paper or plastic. Common questions you will ask yourself.

EDIT.

anyone know lain, meep, or ch33s3 twitter?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Is it just me or does Frozenhobo feel more of a douche than usual? <_<
believe it or not, that post was actually much nicer than what i initially posted.

i only said that because i know from person experience that its not that simple to just pick up a new character. in the past i'm seconded yoshi, PT, oli (on and off), pit, G&W, even rob. the only one i keep going back to is olimar and the only matchup he helps me with i feel more comfortable playing ICs (snake). you can try and pick up a new character, but at the end of the day if you never feel confident enough to play them consistently you will drop them. i'm still looking for a good secondary right now, but more than likely i'm just going to wind up going full IC because i'll never feel as comfortable using another character. i don't just pull this **** out of my *** (well, not most of it, anyway). i base this stuff on what i've seen from other players as well as myself.

swordgard

Smash Hero
frozen poop is so correct.

Depends, at some point you reach a level where you can beat people without having to rely on your character, this is why ally can play a lot of characters at a pro level(probably not as good as his snake though).

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
I've actually gotten to the point where I can zero-death every member of the cast so if thats the issue then I've got that down. But I DEFINITELY see where you're coming from as far as just getting tourney experience, marf is always going to be easier just because, well marth is easier. But I would much rather have icies as my main just because they are so much fun. But if ANYONE knows a crew or some sort of regular tournies around New York please pm me lol.

And to what sword was saying, it's true that just knowing about the game. Once I learned marth and CGing I found it surprisingly easy to learn pretty much every AT in the game just so I could learn how to beat those characters better lol, since I can't get that much pure experience. I have like 5 alts who I consider myself almost as strong with as my mains, and ZSS is possibly equal at this point.

P.S. incase I didn't make it clear I have been playing IC's for quite a long time but have never gotten a chance to use them much in tournies, i'm just as familiar with them as with marth and I am a VERY fast learner =]

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
also, frozenpoop, i see that you like to play by yourself ;)
its the best way to raise stamina ;)

but yeah, i was just trying out a new hacked stage and needed to pass the time between the transformations. just happens that desyncing it the best way to pass that time. 6 minutes of IC desyncs by myself. its like masturbation but without the payoff...

r3d d09

Smash Master
its the best way to raise stamina ;)

but yeah, i was just trying out a new hacked stage and needed to pass the time between the transformations. just happens that desyncing it the best way to pass that time. 6 minutes of IC desyncs by myself. its like masturbation but without the payoff...
lul, u mad? haha. jk. i watched a few minutes, but the blown out chars hurt my eyes.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I just now noticed two things that are completely useless (cuz I'm too slow like that)

ICs don't slide on Icy surfaces, more like an increase in traction than decrease @_@.
and.
If you belay close to the edge and a opponent reaches the ledge as soon as Nana does, Nana grabs the edge, and the opponent does too (@_@), and Nana still has an attacking hitbox out that outlasts the opponents ledge invincibility frames. @_@

Weirdness?
Oldness?
Bothness?

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
old. really old. the sliding was in melee and the ledge hitbox has been known for a while. stop ****ing posting stuff you're just now discovering. seriously, this is why i don't post ****: because people already know most of it, and if they don't its there own fault. stop treating everything you find like a new discovery and just play the ****ing character.

~FroBo

Sieguest

Smash Master
old. really old. the sliding was in melee and the ledge hitbox has been known for a while. stop ****ing posting stuff you're just now discovering. seriously, this is why i don't post ****: because people already know most of it, and if they don't its there own fault. stop treating everything you find like a new discovery and just play the ****ing character.

~FroBo
Lawl, pretty much the reason why I posted
"cuz I'm too slow" in Parentheses. lrn2read please.
It's not like it's a crime to post an accomplishment in your own personal life to your peers either, even if it is later than others.

All in all
You're too slow and need to step it up :p

Cursing makes you look dumb too xD.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Lawl, pretty much the reason why I posted
"cuz I'm too slow" in Parentheses. lrn2read please.
It's not like it's a crime to post an accomplishment in your own personal life to your peers either, even if it is later than others.

All in all
You're too slow and need to step it up :p

Cursing makes you look dumb too xD.
more so than cursing is posting useless stuff thats been known since an entire game ago. if you're just getting into smash then thats acceptable, and i'll just bump your ignorance up to not knowing the game. however, if you've been playing for a while then most people are competent enough to figure out that if a game has been out for over a year that something as obvious as that will have been figured out at some point. its a matter of common sense to figure out if you should post things you're just discovering. common sense that you clearly don't posses.

Sieguest

Smash Master
If this is going to turn into a flame war, then we might as well just take it to PMs for the sake the board and to keep us from getting infracted. =/

Sieguest

Smash Master
So I just figured out that the random Donkey Kong main was FrozenPoop in disguise... but still posting his douchebaggery, so now I'll say....

Hobo, you are being an idiot >__>
The only way I'll know if something is old is by asking... if I never ask then I'll be in ignorance until who knows when.
Why do you think I asked whether it was old or not... just for the hell of it?
No you imbecile, I asked because I wanted a straight answer.
Get your dadgum head out of your rear and learn to read,
You're sitting there saying I have no common sense, yet you yourself post utter bullcrap. Over a question... I even admitted that I was probably late with what I saw, and then asked whether it was old at the end, and you go on an utter cursing spree...
also speaking of that.
You're being a hypocrite:

you should be playing with your character and discovering these things on your own. If you step up you game then you will naturally discover new things.
Obviously I discovered something new to myself, and I just wanted to share what I saw and ask about it. If it was old, then all you had to say was "Yeah, that's been known"
But no, you go on a rant, and contradict something you've said before. As you said, it's all about advancing your game, I had never seen/noticed this before today (since I've never played on a stage with Ice, and I've never seen that happen with Nana and an opponent from Belay.) So I could say that I learned something, and wanted to share with everyone. It's old, all ready knew that, that's all that needed to be said, maybe I would've asked more about it. Maybe I would've asked how useful is this little belay thing despite it being so situational. I may have asked about how this increased traction on ice may affect how we play on Summit, or something like that. But no, you come being idiot and posting your garbage. It's the first time I even made a regarding a "discovery" type thing. Take your own advice and get some sense... learn to read while your at it.
Also if this stuff is known about, how come we don't take it into account when discussing summit because of the Ice it has on it... if it's such old news how come we don't take into account how it can work to our advantage as other characters slide across the ice while ICs are able to keep normal footing? If it was so old, how come we haven't and don't measure in what could be a potential plus imo for using another stage?
(I can understand the belay thing because it's so situational...)

The world would be a WAY better place if you weren't in it.

edit:
you ever seen the movie Fight Club? its a good movie. i suggest you go watch it very carefully.
Nope, doesn't sound like my kind of movie -_-

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
So I just figured out that the random Donkey Kong main was FrozenPoop in disguise...
its not really "disguise" when i sign my name to the post.

The only way I'll know if something is old is by asking... if I never ask then I'll be in ignorance until who knows when.
You're sitting there saying I have no common sense, yet you yourself post utter bullcrap. Over a question... I even admitted that I was probably late with what I saw, and then asked whether it was old at the end, and you go on an utter cursing spree...
also speaking of that.

Obviously I discovered something new to myself, and I just wanted to share what I saw and ask about it. If it was old, then all you had to say was "Yeah, that's been known"
But no, you go on a rant, and contradict something you've said before. As you said, it's all about advancing your game, I had never seen/noticed this before today (since I've never played on a stage with Ice, and I've never seen that happen with Nana and an opponent from Belay.) So I could say that I learned something, and wanted to share with everyone.
let me put it to you this way: my first time playing DK i tried to go for an aerial donkey punch and fell to my death. in my astonishment i rushed to the DK boards to post my find. do you know how my "revelation" was greeted? with much less kindness than i'm showing you here. I'm simply trying to impart on to you some information that i had to learn the hard way: its all be discovered before. if you think its new, its not. if you want to share your idea discovery with the community, then you had better be ready for ridicule and degradation.

i appreciate you going out of your way to play around and discover new things about the character, but you don't need to come back with every little thing you find. you're supposed to be finding these things out for your own benefit, so why should it matter if its been discovered yet or not? you jut discovered, that makes it new to you. thats all that matters.

It's old, all ready knew that, that's all that needed to be said, maybe I would've asked more about it. Maybe I would've asked how useful is this little belay thing despite it being so situational. I may have asked about how this increased traction on ice may affect how we play on Summit, or something like that. But no, you come being idiot and posting your garbage. It's the first time I even made a regarding a "discovery" type thing. Take your own advice and get some sense... learn to read while your at it.
Also if this stuff is known about, how come we don't take it into account when discussing summit because of the Ice it has on it... if it's such old news how come we don't take into account how it can work to our advantage as other characters slide across the ice while ICs are able to keep normal footing? If it was so old, how come we haven't and don't measure in what could be a potential plus imo for using another stage?
you are aware that there are no legal stages with ice on them, right? there is no use for the traction information anywhere, unless you plan on playing B+. this, inevitably, means (and i want to make sure you understand this so we don't have any more confusion, k?) it does not matter in a competitive environment how far we will slide on ice compared to other characters. were we paying attention? i hope so, because most people (and i say most because you clearly did not realize this) know that the traction on ice has no effect on our gameplay outside of silly stages.

as for the belay thing, we have videos documenting this. even more so than the sliding you should have been able to find videos using this.

now, for the rest of your post, i want to emphasize a point: i never said that you should post your findings. i even gave reasoning as to why i don't pot my findings. why should i feel enthusiastic about you posting old information that has been in the past 2 games?

probably, for the time being, you're stuck with me. get used to it.

edit:

then this entire process will be lost on you.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I Dont like to spam, but i will against ice climbers with my falco, my friend spams ALOT
with Falcos Blaster, does anybody know how to get around this?????
and everytime i get near him, he blaster cancels, dash attacks, then runs
to the other side of the stage and resume and repeats....

Sieguest

Smash Master
=/ So that's what FroBo stood for @_@.

let me put it to you this way: my first time playing DK i tried to go for an aerial donkey punch and fell to my death. in my astonishment i rushed to the DK boards to post my find. do you know how my "revelation" was greeted? with much less kindness than i'm showing you here. I'm simply trying to impart on to you some information that i had to learn the hard way: its all be discovered before. if you think its new, its not. if you want to share your idea discovery with the community, then you had better be ready for ridicule and degradation.
Well, did you argue with them that it was something new to you, they obviously didn't understand that the only way you'd know it was old was by either chancing upon the information, reading where it was discussed or by just asking, if they don't understand, then they have problems. How do you think the first discoveries were made in the first place, someone experienced it and asked about it, and bam, stuff happens. Sounds to me like the DK boards have their heads too far up there rears to see that =/
And then maybe it boils to culture *shrugs*

you are aware that there are no legal stages with ice on them, right? there is no use for the traction information anywhere, unless you plan on playing B+. this, inevitably, means (and i want to make sure you understand this so we don't have any more confusion, k?) it does not matter in a competitive environment how far we will slide on ice compared to other characters. were we paying attention? i hope so, because most people (and i say most because you clearly did not realize this) know that the traction on ice has no effect on our gameplay outside of silly stages.
Wait, Summit isn't a legal stage? Not even as CP? Yet some TOs allow Norfair and Halberd? What? *shrugs*

now, for the rest of your post, i want to emphasize a point: i never said that you should post your findings. i even gave reasoning as to why i don't pot my findings. why should i feel enthusiastic about you posting old information that has been in the past 2 games?
You don't have to be enthusiastic, but there are much better ways to say something is old instead of cursing and making yourself look like an idiot.
Them's the breaks I guess.

Guess so, I've never been much of a movie goer, I can't remember the last time I even watched a movie.
I Dont like to spam, but i will against ice climbers with my falco, my friend spams ALOT
with Falcos Blaster, does anybody know how to get around this?????
and everytime i get near him, he blaster cancels, dash attacks, then runs
to the other side of the stage and resume and repeats....
Approach better?
If I'm in my right mind IBs can absorb blaster shots, so if you close some distance then your IBs can be usable to outcamp blasters....

Also whenever you get within range you should desync blizzards instead of doing what I think you're doing (going in aggressive with some other move) Even if one of you is hit by the blaster when he cancels it, if he dash attacks he's eating blizzard from the other, you can then follow up.

I think I got that right? =/ not sure atm.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
that was a very calm, resolute response and i salute you for it. i do, however, strongly encourage you to go see fight club. once you see it you'll have a greater understanding of why i act this way towards new people (well, that and this is about the only way to have fun on these boards without being a ****ing weeaboo).

i do encourage you to keep looking at the character and finding new things, but keep in mind that factors as far as the physics of the character are fairly well known. i'll try to be less abrasive in the future if you present new findings, but just bare in mind that the game has been out for over a year now, so you can expect a lot of the more obvious aspects fo the character have been discovered so far.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Umm, hello? Anybody gonna answer my question on post #5627?

Sieguest

Smash Master
that was a very calm, resolute response and i salute you for it. i do, however, strongly encourage you to go see fight club. once you see it you'll have a greater understanding of why i act this way towards new people (well, that and this is about the only way to have fun on these boards without being a ****ing weeaboo).
Hmm, I may have some time tonight to rent it. (If I can remember where the rental store is =/)

i do encourage you to keep looking at the character and finding new things, but keep in mind that factors as far as the physics of the character are fairly well known. i'll try to be less abrasive in the future if you present new findings, but just bare in mind that the game has been out for over a year now, so you can expect a lot of the more obvious aspects fo the character have been discovered so far.
True, it didn't seem so obvious to me at first, but, in retrospect, terrain things are some of the first to be found, along with things concerning some more of the commonly used moves. I should probably focus more on where our metagame is developing.
I all ready posted an answer two posts ago...
did you read it?

r3d d09

Smash Master
So I just figured out that the random Donkey Kong main was FrozenPoop in disguise... but still posting his douchebaggery, so now I'll say....

also speaking of that.

But no, you go on a rant, and contradict something you've said before. As you said, it's all about advancing your game, I had never seen/noticed this before today (since I've never played on a stage with Ice, and I've never seen that happen with Nana and an opponent from Belay.) So I could say that I learned something, and wanted to share with everyone. It's old, all ready knew that, that's all that needed to be said, maybe I would've asked more about it. Maybe I would've asked how useful is this little belay thing despite it being so situational. I may have asked about how this increased traction on ice may affect how we play on Summit, or something like that. But no, you come being idiot and posting your garbage. It's the first time I even made a regarding a "discovery" type thing. Take your own advice and get some sense... learn to read while your at it.

edit:

cool story bro

i appreciate you going out of your way to play around and discover new things about the character, but you don't need to come back with every little thing you find. you're supposed to be finding these things out for your own benefit, so why should it matter if its been discovered yet or not? you jut discovered, that makes it new to you. thats all that matters.

as for the belay thing, we have videos documenting this. even more so than the sliding you should have been able to find videos using this.

Frozenpoop,i understand you more and more everyday.

Frozenpoop, i say that we do exactly what they do to new people what fightclub does. muahahah. then we would look frowned upon in the brawl community.... but we will have epic/hardcore new players.

L2R

Smoom77

Smash Master
WHO'S THAT POKEMON?!

:070:

Who's watching Pound's stream right now? It is AMAZING. Lain lost to Judge though. :[

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i'm watching M2K get TORN OUT THE FRAME by ADHD. wtf!?

edit: i just realized making Guest go watch Fight CLub will probably make him think i'm some kind of sadistic cult leader... i just want to clear this up, i don't want to control anybody's mind or have any aspirations towards doing that (nor would i expect anything like that to actually work O_o). i just want to weed out the people that are not dedicated enough to actually stick with ICs before i actually accept them. you show dedication and interest in ICs over an extended period of time then i will begin to treat you with more respect, but until i can actually see that out of a new-comer, i refuse to accept them. i despise people that pick up a character after one day of playing and decide they want to main them. you pick a main and you ****ing stick with it. none of this Inui, half-***** main stuff.

Sieguest

Smash Master
And now I know why I don't go to blockbuster so much =/ Store clerk was too slow in the brain....

But uh wow.... this movie was an eye opener @_@, kind of tripped me out a little. But I do see what you're pulling from this movie. And I agree with it, to an extent but I'll leave each to his own.

On a side note though, since you're speaking of new-comers....
I've been here since about May of last year @_@.

Top Bottom