• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I am siting here thinking this...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Mind games can go suck a ****, and how are you suppose to beat Olimar with Ike?!

I am in some desperate need of Anti-Olimar advice, I can't try a direct approach because his stupid pimin will grab me, and then he will do some combo with a fthrow or uthrow to make it more painful, recovery with ike is horrible as it is, but he can gimp me with a side-b recovery by just throwing a pikmin at me, try to do an up-b recovery and he will just tech-recovery, forcing me to go plumit to the dead zone. Try a side-b approach and he will either do a Dsmash or throw pikmin at me leaving me vurnerable.

HELP ME!!!

(P.S. thank you in advance for any working stradigies, it gets frustrating when you can't find something that works on your own.)

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Olimar is a beast to approach with Ike. The best options I've found thus far are fullhopped fairs (obvious, but they're lagless, so you're free to spotdodge or shield immediately after-this is incredibly important against olimar...) or a straight approach, knowing that this campy olimar will try either a grab, fsmash, dsmash or a tilt. Your approach is going to have to be calculated and very defensive. The only moves of his that outrange you are his fsmash and *maybe* his dsmash/grab-I'm not entirely sure. Don't roll around him-you'll eat a dsmash. ALSO, NEVER USE YOUR SIDE B FOR A RECOVERY. <_< Can't stress that enough. In any case, the keys here are to ignore his pikmin throwing and learn your range so you can punish any whiffed moves. Spacing wins the day again.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hmm...spotdodges huh, I only do that on accident, guess I have some room for improvement. Thanks Koda

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
there really is no trick to being olly's, especially good ones - the only move that scares me is the fair - just a note - leave all pikmin latched except white - they will come off in a natural approach - which should be nair and fair only.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
And remember, Ike can gimp Olimar's recovery, too. And Olimar ends up off the stage at much lower percents than Ike.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Eh, if the opponent is even kinda close to your skill, you're pretty much ****ed. Go find a counter pick, these guys don't understand the concept that Ike cant beat everyone.

However, your post is overflowing with nubness, so you need some lessons.

Don't use over b to recover. How you haven't figured that out on your own is beyond me. Dont roll into him, spot dodge. The fact that you only accidental spot dodge is scary, rolling is terrible, usually guarding or just walking away is usually better than rolling.

Find openings in his approach, and hit him with something, don't use F Smash. I'm sure you do, most Ikes I know use his F Smash and U smash like morons. When you get him off ledge, gimp his ***, his recovery is terrible.

screeddie

Smash Apprentice
As an Olimar player, Ike is a really easy matchup.

You pretty much know Olly's timing and when he's going to attack so I'd say use Counter. Approach with Nairs and Fairs. Knock him off the stage.

It's gimp or be gimped.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
Olimar works on spacing and distance. The last thing you want to give an Olimar is space. His attacks (namely grabs/throws and launching pikmin) require space. Get in their face and use the AAA combo. If you get too far away, jumping and using Fairs and Dairs work well.
If they constantly throw pikmin, get far enough so they can just almost touch you (giving incentive for the Olimar to throw more). Hopefully, you can kill the pikmin as they come and charge into the opponent. Olimar needs pikmin to get back on stage so use that tether recovery against them.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry to say this, but, learn better mindgames.
Olimar is faster and sometimes rangier than Ike, and sometimes prioritizes him. With spammable pikmin, a good Olimar is a beast to aproach, but hes much easier to deal with up close. Beating him in a straight fight will be tough, though -- you'll want to get him off the stage as fast as possible and try to gimp his recovery.

Roager

Smash Ace
Have you heard of "Combat Walking"? It's arguably a stupid thing to do, but you basically hold A repeatedly so you alternate between the first two hits of the jab combo. It looks weird, and most people freak out when they see it. It moves you across the stage slowly, so it's not a good long-range approach, but when you get within range of, say, his F-smash, it might be a good way to destabilize him.
EDIT: thread explaining it better than me. http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...ht=combat+walk
[/edit]

Also, NEVER EVER EVER (about 17,000 more EVERs) use your Side-B as a recovery when fighting olimar. He'll latch a pikmin on you and the little bugger will end your dash. Then you fall. And he laughs.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
i find olimar one of ike's easier match up's. i usually like to approach with a nair or use mind games to get a nice grab on em'

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
i find olimar one of ike's easier match up's. i usually like to approach with a nair or use mind games to get a nice grab on em'
You really should get out more....

Olimar > Ike...sorry that's just how it is when the Olimar is actually good...it almost feels like a ******** fight...

Something awkward that works well against Olimar is Ike's dash attack actually. Of course you have to do it at random surprising times to avoid being shield grabbed. I find it's the only way I can get in at times because Olimar shield grabs anything else it seems :(. Not a good matchup at all for Ike.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
i like to punch my opponent in the side and then i fsmash him. but maybe that's just me.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Eh, if the opponent is even kinda close to your skill, you're pretty much ****ed. Go find a counter pick, these guys don't understand the concept that Ike cant beat everyone.

However, your post is overflowing with nubness, so you need some lessons.

Don't use over b to recover. How you haven't figured that out on your own is beyond me. Dont roll into him, spot dodge. The fact that you only accidental spot dodge is scary, rolling is terrible, usually guarding or just walking away is usually better than rolling.

Find openings in his approach, and hit him with something, don't use F Smash. I'm sure you do, most Ikes I know use his F Smash and U smash like morons. When you get him off ledge, gimp his ***, his recovery is terrible.
If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all, jerk. Yes I might be a newb, but I am willing to learn, and those kind of comments make nobody feel the inspiratine to get better. And maybe I just like Ike because of his looks. I am not stupid, if I wanted to pick a counterpick, I would have but would that improve my Ike game? NO! Again I am not ********, you can't win all fights, this flame war however...we will find out if you tend to show your avatar around here again.

kinzer you actually sound kind of bad just get better in general lol
Yeah I am working on that burrito XD.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You really should get out more....

Olimar > Ike...sorry that's just how it is when the Olimar is actually good...it almost feels like a ******** fight...

Something awkward that works well against Olimar is Ike's dash attack actually. Of course you have to do it at random surprising times to avoid being shield grabbed. I find it's the only way I can get in at times because Olimar shield grabs anything else it seems :(. Not a good matchup at all for Ike.
Useless post from me incoming...

Absolute truth, olimar is a headache and a half as ike. Disjointed means nothing when olimar can just shield everything you do and punish instantly.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Its also good to use counter
if he gets some pikmin on you just use counter
once the pikmin thats on you hits you i will activate the counter

its a good way to get them off,kill them or even land a hit on olimar if he is near
You know that could work, the only problem i could see with doing that is that it mgiht get predictable and then he can just punish you if he gets lucky/doesn't toss his pikmin at you at the instant.

Maruku

Smash Cadet
WEST Tijuana BC Mexico(Right Next to California)
You know that could work, the only problem i could see with doing that is that it mgiht get predictable and then he can just punish you if he gets lucky/doesn't toss his pikmin at you at the instant.
yeah well everything that is being sugested here you have to know how to use it and mix it so you dont get predictable

but the thing with counter is that you dont have to do it exactly when he throws the pikmin
if you alredy have a pikmin attached to you, you activate counter and since the little guy is hitting you it will set it off and you will either get the pikmin off, kill it or land a caunter hit to oli (or maybe all at the same time)

its just a little thing to avoid getting a lot of damage when he gets some pikmin on you

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Huh...not too bad Mar, not too bad... so with that being said I guess I will have to think about the pikmin that don't latch on to you but those usually hit harder and just make counter all the more powerful.

IKE_Angel

Smash Journeyman
well u can damage his pikmin so jump to avoid his grab and then use neutral A to clear the area and damage him you will have a small window we're he can't do anything then get him in a combo from there and try to get distance and do it again. once he knows what your going to do jump foward then back then in mid air start charging you side b

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
If Pokemon has taught me anything, it's that fire types are supereffective against grass types.

Therefore Eruption is clearly your best option against Olimar.

Wertilq

Smash Rookie
I have only met one good Olimar (I am still young as a brawler), I don't remember but I think I wasn't Ike, but my tactics still work. He spammed F-smash, grab and Pikminthrow.
Grab and Fsmash can be jumped over, so when he did a Fsmash, or when I thought he would do one, I shorthopped over the pikmin and gave him a hit.
If I was Ike,(which I may or may not have been during the match) I would use Nair and then give him a jab. Trying to jump past him and hit him on the same time with Dair would probably also work <_< Otherwise would I try to hit his pikmins, to force him to pluck up new ones, and on the same time block the attack.

I am not a pro thought, so this may probably not work at higher levels, and it takes lots of time, and puts you on the defense.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
it sounds wierd, but when i play olimars that play in the matter that you need help in, i approach him avoiding being on the same horizontal plane as him, and when im in striking range i stay at a 45 degree angle above him, making his only retaliating option a pikmin chain (which is no big deal :)) if all else fails keep the pressure on and use eruption and other super armor moves. i hope i helped :D

Top Bottom