• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So few Ice Climber mainers?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i still say that there are quite a few IC mains. maybe not as many as, say, marth, but still a good enough number that they make up a good portion of the non-tourney players. i know a good number of wario mains too so maybe you're just in a very smash segregated area.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
i still say that there are quite a few IC mains. maybe not as many as, say, marth, but still a good enough number that they make up a good portion of the non-tourney players. i know a good number of wario mains too so maybe you're just in a very smash segregated area.
Texas... we're weird like that. :D

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Such high learning curve....

They can be as high as Snake if they had an easy learning curve, FYI ;)

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
ICs never get boring to me. So many things you can do to throw the player off. They will always be the characters with untapped potential.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Even in Melee, every time I switched mains (which was like weekly) I'd always wind up going back to the IC's. I think it's the desyncing that intrigues me. I mean, there's just so much potential in that, and the CG's are just an added bonus :colorful: It's just so awesome when you seem to be controlling two players at once, each doing their own thing.

"teamwork ftw"

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Texas is just strange like that... As big as the HOBO tournys are, I'm the only IC MAIN that's ever gone to one.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Ice Climbers caught my interest back in Melee due to their desynching and chain grabs, even though I never did get very good with those back then (or with any of the other advanced techs for that matter). I've been practicing with them more in Brawl now, and I can agree that they do have a steep learning curve. Fortunately, I can see myself taking whatever time I need to get good with these techniques.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
@Funen1
I'm kinda scared of fire, too...I find it funny that you play the IC's tho lol

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
@Funen1
I'm kinda scared of fire, too...I find it funny that you play the IC's tho lol
All sorts of things can influence someone to main a particular character. While quite minor in the scheme of things, I still found the IC's affiliation with cold appealing to me.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You're an idiot. Go back to spamming Din's please. ^__^.
Lol, the OP question was why there isn't many IC mains and I explained why. They have a high learning curve and are generally only enjoyable for tournament players. They are a grab based character, doesn't matter how you spin it.

Maybe you don't chaingrab in friendlies, but they are friendlies. I'd like to see an ice climber main that doesn't chain grab in tournies.

As for the dins spam comment, i'm not even an advocate of Dins......it's horrible. There are only a few matchups where I think Dins is even effective. I only use Dins to force approaches from some characters or to force the airdodge when they're recovering if they have an awful recovery.

smaci92

Smash Lord
and marsulas. why didn't you reply to me and frozenpopo's comments?? maybe cause you couldn't (?!)...bunny was just adding on to what we had to say...so you can't avoid us...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
*cough*

1. i don't use cgs

2. i ALWAYS use ics in friendlies.

3. they are the funnest characters to play with, hands down. body guarding and watching your opponent flip out because their projectile attack got canceled out by an ice block is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world.
1. I'd like to see some tournament videos of you not chaingrabbing. Unless you have just mastered Desynching, the chain grab is necessary

2. Good for you

3. this is your opinion, i'm just tellling you why there aren't that many and you can't argue with me..........there isn't many Ice Climber mains. In fact a lot of the competitive players don't main them, they just use Icies for different matchups.

1. They're not boring...Know what your talking about before you say anything.
2. They aren't based on their grab game. You obviously don't know anything about Ice Climbers if you think that it's all about the grabs...
3. We all use Ice Climbers in friendlies all the time...
4. everything FrozenPopo said above me...
5. Don't come back to the IC boards until you know your stuff---"Ice Climber hater"...
1. Again, your opinion. Not the opinion of most of the people that play Brawl.

2. They have some different stuff they can do like Desynching, Squall approaches, and their camp game with ice blocks and blizzard........but when it comes down to it, they are. The reason they are so high on the tier list is because of their grab game and their infinite....been that way since Melee

3. Good for you a lot of people don't.

4.................ya

5.................ya

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Ohhh snap Obama won *****es! And also I generally agree with you expect...

Lol, the OP question was why there isn't many IC mains and I explained why. They have a high learning curve and are generally only enjoyable for tournament players. They are a grab based character, doesn't matter how you spin it.

Maybe you don't chaingrab in friendlies, but they are friendlies. I'd like to see an ice climber main that doesn't chain grab in tournies.

As for the dins spam comment, i'm not even an advocate of Dins......it's horrible. There are only a few matchups where I think Dins is even effective. I only use Dins to force approaches from some characters or to force the airdodge when they're recovering if they have an awful recovery.
Opinion much? I'm a contridiction Nazi =P

Buahhahaha! NOW AMERICA IS RULED BY OBAMA!

smaci92

Smash Lord
well marsulas. What annoyed me was that you came one here and said they were boring and based on their grab game (and everything you said was your personal opinion. so you can't use that as an argument against us). And these two points told me that you know nothing about IC's because if you did, you wouldn't think they were boring, and you would know that they aren't based on their grab game. Many of us don't even use chaingrabs...I don't even use Ice Climbers (well, I mean I can if I want to); but I enjoy using Popo alone

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
1. I'd like to see some tournament videos of you not chaingrabbing. Unless you have just mastered Desynching, the chain grab is necessary

made it to the semis before losing to a sonic. ***** EVERYONE else along the way WITHOUT chain grabs. then i killed the guy that DID win in a friendly without cgs afterwards.

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
1. They're not boring...Know what your talking about before you say anything.
2. They aren't based on their grab game. You obviously don't know anything about Ice Climbers if you think that it's all about the grabs...
3. We all use Ice Climbers in friendlies all the time...
4. everything FrozenPopo said above me...
5. Don't come back to the IC boards until you know your stuff---"Ice Climber hater"...
^ this. wow dude... fan boy much?

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
It has to be the high learning curve. I love the way they play and there isn't another character who can anywhere near match it.

I absolutely love to grab and then get a fair spike with Nana. =p

Aznpkilla

Smash Cadet
Mained Ice Climbers in april and never looked back.

I love the diversity, and nobody sees ICs coming over here. Nobody who doesn't play competitively, anyway.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
ive been playing them for 2 weeks now and i love them =3 there going to me by 2nd main =3 im dropping most of my subs for the IC xD though the CG are a problems but i can manage myself fairly well now

-Final-

Aria♪
I used to be the only IC main in Utah ( I thnk) after FP left. Now about 3 people just decided to main him. Is he getting more popular or something.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I used to be the only IC main in Utah ( I thnk) after FP left. Now about 3 people just decided to main him. Is he getting more popular or something.
No idea, as of right now i'm not into the local scene as of yet.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Final...haven't talked to you forever buddy! we should brawl sometime just to see how much better we got haha ;) and yes I think IC's are getting more popular...5 of my friends on here just became IC mains lulz.

I think this just proved my point.
ummm his post didn't 'prove your point'; his post actually went against you...cause he didn't say they were "boring" like you said they were. He said they're 'gay'....and by gay, he meant they suck (if they aren't used properly...because of the high learning curve...)

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Final...haven't talked to you forever buddy! we should brawl sometime just to see how much better we got haha ;) and yes I think IC's are getting more popular...5 of my friends on here just became IC mains lulz.

ummm his post didn't 'prove your point'; his post actually went against you...cause he didn't say they were "boring" like you said they were. He said they're 'gay'....and by gay, he meant they suck (if they aren't used properly...because of the high learning curve...)

HeadShot lol....

-Mars-

Smash Hero
By "gay" i'm pretty sure he meant they're similar to DDD, you have to play gay to be successful with them.

smaci92

Smash Lord
By "gay" i'm pretty sure he meant they're similar to DDD, you have to play gay to be successful with them.
I know, but your point was that they're boring...and then when he said they're gay, you said that he proved your point. And now you're contradicting yourself by changing the meaning around of gay again...

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
...-_-

I mained them back in melee a few months before brawl came out, and I don't ever plan to change. In my mostly casual community, The ICies were an enigma, and immediately regarded as the worst. I wanted to prove to them that Icies weren't crap. I sucked in melee, but finally proved my point in brawl.

smaci92

Smash Lord
hey wait...why you giving me that stupid face??! lol...what did i do? I'm arguing for our Ice Climberz, not against them. or was that face directed at marsulas? cause he's the one arguing against the Ice Climberz...I'm starting to sense that he got 0-deathed and 3 stocked by an Ice climber and that he hates them for life :bee:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
hey wait...why you giving me that stupid face??! lol...what did i do? I'm arguing for our Ice Climberz, not against them. or was that face directed at marsulas? cause he's the one arguing against the Ice Climberz...I'm starting to sense that he got 0-deathed and 3 stocked by an Ice climber and that he hates them for life :bee:
I didn't actually see it as him arguing against Ice Climbers, I just figured he was stating his oppinion o.O Then again, I've met Xyro, one of the most known IC haters lol.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
I main the iceclimbers... I think so many people give up trying to learn the variety of grabs and I get frustrating with match ups like mk on rainbow cruise.. ICs are terrible on counter pick stages but not impossible.

Kiyokiyo

Smash Rookie
It's true but at least we are amazing when we are on our own turf! :D I main Ice Climbers but that's mainly because I liked the idea of having two people fight as one, the whole chain grabbing thing didn't come into my life until after I came onto these forums and lurked until I was good >.>

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I main the iceclimbers... I think so many people give up trying to learn the variety of grabs and I get frustrating with match ups like mk on rainbow cruise.. ICs are terrible on counter pick stages but not impossible.

this is definitely ICs greatest problem.
if you're opponent isn't an idiot, they can counter pick a stage that gives them an almost impossible advantage.

there's really no solution besides having a good non-grab game (which only gets you so far) or having a good secondary. like DDD. he has a hammer and a furry coat too... why not?

Khaoz

Smash Journeyman
I picked up the ICs about 4 days ago. I'd been having trouble finding another confident main for a while, then after playing friendlies against Melee1 and watching him wreck with them at OHsnap this past weekend, it made me wonder "wow...they're awesome...why have I never tried them?"

I like them alot so far! They're pretty fun to play and I've come to realize that they're alot better than I thought!

...and I can't even chaingrab yet!

Top Bottom