• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So 1.0.2 update literally just came out

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
in b4 it's a huge update which will allow us to download replays directly from apex

ok i just dreamed galaxies beyond anything that will ever happen in one's wildest dreams

Raijinken

Smash Master
There were already several hazard-less versions of stages used in event mode before this too. Dunno why the update is so big anyway, it's not like they're adding any new assets.
It's possible that they DID add new assets in the form of lower-poly versions of existing stage models, revised backgrounds, and the like. If they just did pure optimization, the game would have gotten smaller, so this seems a bit more likely to me.

Edit: Also, official English notes: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13305/p/431

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Is this available in european versions? Can't find it right now...
Also... In version 1.0.1, does the Bowser Jr. Warp Glitch still exist?
If yes, has it been patched in 1.0.2?

EDIT: Yes. It's released in PAL/European versions of the game

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Seems like it was mostly a patch for 8-Player Smash. Could use a little more variety.

SleezyWeezel

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0404-7056-2030
i just want more shield stun and nerfed dodge rolling really. :/

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I don't have 202MB free...
Time to send Mario Kart to a external drive or no new 8-player mode for me.

(Maybe now my friends accepts other stages than Omega Big BF and Big BF, I was so sad with them raging with the techs in Palutena's Temple "cave of life")

Zannabluke

Smash Apprentice
english patch notes does mention buffs/nerfs tho

Adjustments have also been made to balance the game and make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
The word "balance" has another meaning for Smash development team.
Balance is improving the game to work nicely, without glitches and characters crazy things.

Pacman strategy to 2x2 win in for glory is still there ?
This something they would call "balance" to remove.

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
Some past patch notes mentioned the buffs/nerfs thing but didn't actually change any of the characters. Don't get your hopes up.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Online got worse.
Please elaborate.

Anyone else extremely annoyed at the fact that the game already has the capability of turning off hazards in stages, but they're not letting us use it freely?

Seriously, it's a feature that a lot of people want, and has a functionality that is already programmed into the game, what's the point of leaving it out?

Does anyone even care that PS All-Star did it first?
If anything, PSASBR and Smash can learn from each other. What irks me with updates like this though are how they added a very useful feature and put inconvenient restrictions on it (6+ Smash required).

This seems to be something I only ever expect from Nintendo's own games. >_>

shadowXtreme

Smash Cadet
There was balance patches I think, But I could be wrong
1.- Falco's gunshot have less ending lag
2.- Diddy Kong Run speed is slower
3.- "" Down smash has more ending lag
4.- "" And there was a change on diddys up air, or maybe is the diddys air movility that was changed, I cant decide
5.- Just try rosalina, she will feel a little different
....maybe I am wrong with rosalina and diddy, because they are not my mains, but I am not wrong with falco

Heleno

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helenopaiva
3DS FC
4914-4744-1262
4.- "" And there was a change on diddys up air, or maybe is the diddys air movility that was changed, I cant decide
....maybe I am wrong with rosalina and diddy, because they are not my mains, but I am not wrong with falco
I don't think so.
Such improvements would've made the replays stop working. Gotta test tonight, thou.

jchang3209

Smash Rookie
I might be crazy since I'm trying to complete all the challenges, wondering if this updates the RNG in the game for a more pleasant experience because I'm 8 Mii Headgear away from being done and Crazy Orders haven't been nice for the past few days

CubicBurrito45

Smash Cadet
NNID
CubicBurrito45
There were already several hazard-less versions of stages used in event mode before this too. Dunno why the update is so big anyway, it's not like they're adding any new assets.
What if the reason for the file size being bigger is because their adding bits and pieces of unused code for things to come I know some games that do that in their updates like GTA5 that eventually get found by modders/hackers so i guess to really know whats going on we need to look into the games code a bit more

Beast Boy

Smash Rookie
ummmm no.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
A 6+ Player only "Hazards Off" option is like one of the biggest troll features you could add.

Replay unaffected though so no character tweaks. I think I'll breathe a sigh of relief every time a Sm4sh patch comes out and Luma doesn't take any longer to respawn. Still would have been fun to see tiny buffs on a few other characters.

Raijinken

Smash Master
What if the reason for the file size being bigger is because their adding bits and pieces of unused code for things to come I know some games that do that in their updates like GTA5 that eventually get found by modders/hackers so i guess to really know whats going on we need to look into the games code a bit more
It's more likely that the existing stages weren't optimized for manyman smash, so instead of making them lower-poly or lower-res or however else they optimized them, they just added new ones.

Additionally, Omega forms are generally larger for 8-man than for regular, so those probably took new stages as well.

Though I wouldn't mind if we found new stuff in a fresh data dump, setting up for the impending Tourney/Miiverse/Mew2 patch.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I wonder for amiibo touch screen before patch. When you finish up an amiibo tweaking and transfer them back into their figurine, did you return to the Games & More menu screen leading up to the amiibo screen or you where immediately back to the amiibo touch screen? Feels like that part was changed.

EDITED: Ok, I knew I wasn't going crazy. They updated amiibo transferring process to be a little more swifter and accurate.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Curious as to whether this changed any of the minor flow quirks (not being able to L+R+A+Start out of Events, quitting Classic mode turning off your name/character choice, etc.). Would be nice.

Also, do we know if the new 8-Player stages can appear in Classic / Special Orders?

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Lol, people trying to claim balancing? No, there is none.

As of now, the 8 player smash stages are the only difference, since replays still work perfectly fine, which also effects classic mode and Crazy Orders (YUSH).

There is no need to look for balancing because there was none announced (They would warn us about replays).

Curious as to whether this changed any of the minor flow quirks (not being able to L+R+A+Start out of Events, quitting Classic mode turning off your name/character choice, etc.). Would be nice.

Also, do we know if the new 8-Player stages can appear in Classic / Special Orders?
I am going to check the first part of this right now, wow. Didn't think about this.

EDIT: Wow, no. They said they improved things for more fun so I expected this to be correct...but no...again...
Nintendo missed out on fixing the Mii Customization crashes, the Trophy Crashes, and putting a restart button in Event mode...why...

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Then some other high tier will take his place. We need to quit whining about him and learn how to deal with him.
Whining about others whining will solve nothing.

To solve both issues, it would be nice to see the game devs just make it so the knockback of UpAir is lowered, but that's all that needs to be done. That way people will stop whining and people won't have to whine about others whining.

No, we can't rely on the game devs to do this and in the meantime we need to learn how to deal with it, but in a mind of someone who actually wants to believe in the devs, you can't just say that it isn't even an opportunity.

Besides, M2 will probably be a hard counter yet be mid-tier. That'd be great. Also, there's good chance that with the release of mewtwo a final balance patch will be released so that he can fit in.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Whining about others whining will solve nothing.

To solve both issues, it would be nice to see the game devs just make it so the knockback of UpAir is lowered, but that's all that needs to be done. That way people will stop whining and people won't have to whine about others whining.

No, we can't rely on the game devs to do this and in the meantime we need to learn how to deal with it, but in a mind of someone who actually wants to believe in the devs, you can't just say that it isn't even an opportunity.

Besides, M2 will probably be a hard counter yet be mid-tier. That'd be great. Also, there's good chance that with the release of mewtwo a final balance patch will be released so that he can fit in.
Also, we complain that there were no combos or kill setups in brawl, yet when a character has one in the new game, we don't want it. I don't get it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
People wouldn't like that. If there's something I've learned on these boards, it's that there is a very hard-set aversion to having to learn more than a single character. Perhaps they're lazy, perhaps they don't want to put in more effort to master a game instead of a character, but the aversion is there.

But that's neither here nor there. If people are willing to complain about the game getting balance changes period, they'll complain even if the only change was "we reduced loadtimes across the board". (Oh no now I can't grab a drink any more my play is ruined).

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Also, we complain that there were no combos or kill setups in brawl, yet when a character has one in the new game, we don't want it. I don't get it.
Yeah, I agree with you on that. Combos are healthy for a game, make it go quicker and more interesting. I'm only saying that Diddy does have a very powerful one, and even without it is still a solid character. I don't want Diddy banned, I myself actually feel I fair against him pretty well, I simply would enjoy seeing some sort of balancing done.
He has the banana which gives him access to anything he wants to do for free. Having a Throw combo that can kill from a banana? That's where it gets a bit too much.
People wouldn't like that. If there's something I've learned on these boards, it's that there is a very hard-set aversion to having to learn more than a single character. Perhaps they're lazy, perhaps they don't want to put in more effort to master a game instead of a character, but the aversion is there.

But that's neither here nor there. If people are willing to complain about the game getting balance changes period, they'll complain even if the only change was "we reduced loadtimes across the board". (Oh no now I can't grab a drink any more my play is ruined).
Yep. People wouldn't like a balance patch but those are the same people complaining that balancing is needed. Maybe our community has a virus...an immature virus...

Last edited:
Top Bottom