• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So 1.0.2 update literally just came out

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
You can remove the hazards from Pokemon Stadium 2 by having 5 players. You don't have to have 6+. Not sure if this affects all of the stages the same way.

...either way it is really stupid that they did this, instead of simply adding a "remove stage hazard" button. :/

Sad thing? Kirby Fighters has a "remove stage hazard" button...

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
*Some of the 8-Player Smash stages have been adjusted to disable random events and stage hazards for a more stable gaming experience.
So it can be done, but they just aren't giving us the option.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
The amount of connection errors tripled for me after the patch, Anyone else?

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Still...

STILL...

No addition of Battlefield to For Glory... What do we have to do? Storm into NamcoBandai and occupy the studio until they make this happen?

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
So wait, I have a clarification question, is "Hazards Off" only available when you have 5+ active players or is it an option regardless of the number of active player but only in 8 player smash mode?

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
So wait, I have a clarification question, is "Hazards Off" only available when you have 5+ active players or is it an option regardless of the number of active player but only in 8 player smash mode?
You have to have 5 people at least to get the "Hazards off" mode. Having 3 controllers wouldn't be all that bad, but it would be just kind of dumb to have an extra player as a station helping to SD or something.
Maybe they could all be Sheik to make it as quick as possible, but still it's a hassle.

Now that I think about it though...all of them going Jigglypuff and holding shield would be easy...and they'd be practically sync'd...However, the players would then have to agree to a time on the clock when to start. I'd imagine around 7:30 on 3 stock.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Yeah, I agree with you on that. Combos are healthy for a game, make it go quicker and more interesting. I'm only saying that Diddy does have a very powerful one, and even without it is still a solid character. I don't want Diddy banned, I myself actually feel I fair against him pretty well, I simply would enjoy seeing some sort of balancing done.
He has the banana which gives him access to anything he wants to do for free. Having a Throw combo that can kill from a banana? That's where it gets a bit too much.

Yep. People wouldn't like a balance patch but those are the same people complaining that balancing is needed. Maybe our community has a virus...an immature virus...
Yeah, the banana is a bit of overkill. He also has that side b that forces you to guess whether to shield or attack.
Idk, I just feel like as a community we can't make up our minds about what we want. There were far more potent and plentiful kill setups and combos in melee, like up throw up air, the ken combo, and sheik's chaingrabs, yet we don't complain about them.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
You have to have 5 people at least to get the "Hazards off" mode. Having 3 controllers wouldn't be all that bad, but it would be just kind of dumb to have an extra player as a station helping to SD or something.
Maybe they could all be Sheik to make it as quick as possible, but still it's a hassle.

Now that I think about it though...all of them going Jigglypuff and holding shield would be easy...and they'd be practically sync'd...However, the players would then have to agree to a time on the clock when to start. I'd imagine around 7:30 on 3 stock.
That's such a specific restraint. Obviously they did it deliberately. I just can't wrap my mind around why they would go out of their way to add that restraint. All it does is take away our freedom to play the game how we chose. Some people want to play with Ridley (/yellow devil / whoever) and some don't. But if you go out of the way to restrain an option you could have given people then the ones forced into the option they didn't want will be unhappy. It just doesn't make sense from a development stand point. Why not cater to everyone if you have the ability?

Raijinken

Smash Master
That's such a specific restraint. Obviously they did it deliberately. I just can't wrap my mind around why they would go out of their way to add that restraint. All it does is take away our freedom to play the game how we chose. Some people want to play with Ridley (/yellow devil / whoever) and some don't. But if you go out of the way to restrain an option you could have given people then the ones forced into the option they didn't want will be unhappy. It just doesn't make sense from a development stand point. Why not cater to everyone if you have the ability?
More than likely that's not a "restraint" so much as a "technical limitation". I imagine, seeing as how it's currently implemented, that they want the stages to be as close to normal as possible. But due to framerate drops or whatever, feel a need to disable hazards or other highly dynamic elements when playing above the standard four player count.

I'd love it if they'd just make it a choice, but since it isn't, gotta deal with what we've got.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Welcome to Nintendo, my friend....

Look, I love Nintendo, favorite game company because they make top notch games that don't have ****loads of glitches in them and aren't extremely broken day to day. But god DAMN if they would just LISTEN to US for once. Not the scummy children, us. If they did that, if they TRULY targeted games at BOTH audiences (WHICH THEY TOTALLY COULD EASILY), they would make more money and gain more fans. Why they don't? Because Nintendo is childish and doesn't like to listen to people. Sorry, but someone had to say it...

Before someone says "OH But HAve You SeEN OoT?!" Yes, I am a speedrunner myself and I know that games DO have lots of glitches, skips and whatnot, but I was referring to stuff you would run into without looking for it.
Yeah, the banana is a bit of overkill. He also has that side b that forces you to guess whether to shield or attack.
Idk, I just feel like as a community we can't make up our minds about what we want. There were far more potent and plentiful kill setups and combos in melee, like up throw up air, the ken combo, and sheik's chaingrabs, yet we don't complain about them.
With Melee, those are things in that game that help the top tier characters be top tier. The thing is, in our case there isn't many things like that, it ISN'T considered common. So it's understandable, whether or not you disagree or agree, why they would complain about it.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
So it can be done, but they just aren't giving us the option.
There was never any doubt that it could be done. Removing most hazards is extremely easy to do even when modding the game (well, Brawl at least). With the source code and actual developer tools, it would be even easier.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The hazards and other things in certain stages during 5-8-Player Smash are removed either due to technical limitations or that the stage hazards would be too chaotic with a large number of players on a stage. For example, the lava in Norfair, if I remember correctly, can cover the bottom three platforms. This would leave very little room for 8 players on the stage. In most cases, removing hazards on the stages aren't necessary, so why have an option to remove them?

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
More than likely that's not a "restraint" so much as a "technical limitation". I imagine, seeing as how it's currently implemented, that they want the stages to be as close to normal as possible. But due to framerate drops or whatever, feel a need to disable hazards or other highly dynamic elements when playing above the standard four player count.

I'd love it if they'd just make it a choice, but since it isn't, gotta deal with what we've got.
I think you're totally right. To them this is less about "optional modes of game play" and more about "optional modes of quality" they realized they weren't gonna get it as smooth with 5+ players so they gave you the option to play with the full course or smooth out the game play. But if you gave them the ability they never would have made "hazard's off" an option at all. They see this feature as the highest level of options because it gives you the chance to play with the course in full or with it running smoothly. Never crossed their minds someone would want to play without hazards unless it meant improving quality.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's stage-dependent, but you won't encounter Ridley, King Bulblin, Yellow Devil, or Metal Face in 8-Player Smash. The cars in Onett do still appear though.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
After the hours of fun I've had in 8 player Smash, I sure am glad they've finally added more stages for me and the gang to enjoy![/sarcasm]

for real though it's nice that they're improving the game, good update for a 0.01 version update imo.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
So, it's fairly unreasonable to have 4 more controllers to SD just to add some more stages to singles, but it seems a lot more feasible with doubles. Two more controllers to add a few more stages? Sounds good to me.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
As a fan of stages, I like this update. It just gives me more options. They didn't have to give us this update and didn't even say it was coming, so I won't get mad because they didn't include more.

This was just a little something extra that they made for us. I don't see the point in getting mad that they didn't make even more bonus content.

This is starting to sound a lot like the clone debacle.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
So, it's fairly unreasonable to have 4 more controllers to SD just to add some more stages to singles, but it seems a lot more feasible with doubles. Two more controllers to add a few more stages? Sounds good to me.
It would still be a waste of time to do that, though. Also, what if Lucario is one of the characters who is battling? He would be at a disadvantage.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well this is a random update.

Still what is the "other" stuff they did to make it more enjoyable. Way to be vague Nintendo as usual lol.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Falco does NOT have faster or less laggy lasers. They already did that in the first balance patch and I already tried it to make sure. Let's not spread wrong information in a thread that many people read.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
As a fan of stages, I like this update. It just gives me more options. They didn't have to give us this update and didn't even say it was coming, so I won't get mad because they didn't include more.

This was just a little something extra that they made for us. I don't see the point in getting mad that they didn't make even more bonus content.

This is starting to sound a lot like the clone debacle.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to be upset that there is a way to turn stage hazards off indirectly but for all the damn silly ways we can customize a match, for all the rules we can change, there's still no "turn off the **** that kills me for no damn reason" button.

Having it just dangling in front of our noses is annoying, especially with how much Sakurai knows we want this feature.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Stage hazard toggle seems to be set at 5, so only one extra controller would be needed for doubles.

AshBoomstick

Smash Cadet
NNID
klinechur
3DS FC
2809-7728-1923
I did not really care much when I heard that the 8 player mode is going to include a lot more maps to play on since I don't really play 8 player smash much. I then realized that this greatly increases the variety in classic mode since most of the matches feature more then 4 players at once. So I look at this patch as in classic mode doubling its amount of content and here is some game play of some of the new stages appearing in classic mode.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If it was done to add more variety for classic mode I gladly accept it.

Ooo, Could you link me to more details?
I'll just explain it since I've played him since Brawl.

his Aura works off two things, his percent and stocks.

Stocks is the one people don't know about and why he is better in teams than singles because there are more people in a match. It's called anubis as a strategy where Lucario fighs basically 2v1 while his partner tries to stock tank as much as possible so Lucario is the one dying a lot.

Your partner is still at max stocks while Lucario has one. Since Lucario's aura works off stocks as well, it actually counts every single player in the game he i behind from, including your team mate(s).

This was good in Brawl with 2v2, now imagine it with 4v4 and so on.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324

Stocks is the one people don't know about and why he is better in teams than singles because there are more people in a match. It's called anubis as a strategy where Lucario fighs basically 2v1 while his partner tries to stock tank as much as possible so Lucario is the one dying a lot.

Your partner is still at max stocks while Lucario has one. Since Lucario's aura works off stocks as well, it actually counts every single player in the game he i behind from, including your team mate(s).

I should add that the stock multiplier portion of the aura mechanic seems to be weaker. I didn't notice a difference between Lucario being one stock behind and Lucario being two stocks behind an opponent and the damage increase isn't as large. However, it seems that the stock multiplier can be decreased at least three times from the regular value if Lucario is ahead. I don't know what the exact values are for the stock multiplier, though.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Yeah, I hadn’t heard about the stock impact before. I guess I assumed it worked that way when stocks were mentioned just now. I’m most curious to learn if people have determined the specific numerical impact. Like does it have similar impact to his damage? What’s the equation? Is it based on other player stock averages or stock totals? Are there limits? How much damage would a 200% Lucario with one stock do in an 8 player match where the other 7 players had 99 stocks? XD I’m sorry we’re getting a little off topic here ><

EDIT: oops Ninja'd a bit, so we don't know the specific affects in SSB4 for now then.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I did not really care much when I heard that the 8 player mode is going to include a lot more maps to play on since I don't really play 8 player smash much. I then realized that this greatly increases the variety in classic mode since most of the matches feature more then 4 players at once. So I look at this patch as in classic mode doubling its amount of content and here is some game play of some of the new stages appearing in classic mode.
Correct

I realized that as well classic is going to be much more varaity to play there

Hope for more future 8-player mode stages in future updates

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987

Does it just count the flat number of people he's behind or the fraction?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't know the specifics, I know for Brawl people figured out a table for what the ratio was.

For Smash 4 I don't think we have it nailed down yet, though we should.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Well, the formula for the damage multiplier in SSB4 seems to function similarly to the one in Brawl. I found what appears to be the formula that the game uses for the damage multiplier:

I tested the formula with different damage values, and it seems to be correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom