• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So 1.0.2 update literally just came out

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Heh, the tourney meta eventually adds in 8 Player Pyrosphere where 6 players SD at the beginning.

Joking, of course. Terrible idea, too many controllers needed ;;

Vanillascout

Smash Cadet
Wait. Does this work if you go into 8p and use those stages with 2 characters? Testing right away!

EDIT: Alas, no. :c This would've been so hype.
The next step is to figure out how many players are required for hazards-off, and to discuss whether it's worth the trouble to have a bunch of SDers present in each tourney match.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
aw man a hazard off button but only for 6+ smash? That makes me kinda sad some of those stages would be great with 1v1 2v2

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
The next step is to figure out how many players are required for hazards-off, and to discuss whether it's worth the trouble to have a bunch of SDers present in each tourney match.
6. And no. Having 4 extra controllers at each setup would drag the tourney longer for just one or two stages.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
the thing is that omega stages could've done just this - remove dangerous hazards while keeping stage layout.
enter sakurai
:\

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
the thing is that omega stages could've done just this - remove dangerous hazards while keeping stage layout.
enter sakurai
Yeap. I wish that's what Omega's were...

WwwWario

Smash Ace
It's cool with more 8-player Stages, but sad that you need 6+ players to remove the hazards..... :(

.....also, why hasn't :4diddy:been killed yet?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Can anyone confirm if this fixes that bug that skips the Intro Movie at startup?
Also just checked that the update is 202 MB size. Currently downloading but just some information for you.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
To be real, the only stage that's actually better this way is Pyrosphere, and it's purely my bias talking, but I don't really mind the Metroid Other M stage being banned in singles especially since it has a boring platform layout anyway. Pokemon Stadium 2 is fine for legality the way it is and honestly is a better stage the way it is; just learn to fully control your character and the transformations aren't a problem really. The others are either obviously singles legal already and not mechanically changed (like Smashville) or are not legal either way (like Wii Fit Studio).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Can anyone confirm if this fixes that bug that skips the Intro Movie at startup?
Also just checked that the update is 202 MB size. Currently downloading but just some information for you.
Well when the game started up for me after completing the update there was no intro, just a black screen until the title screen popped up.

PsychSaenz

Smash Rookie
NNID
PsychSaenz
Tournament mode online would make Smash 4 Nintendo's go-to Online game, so it's too good to be true. Anyone find any other changes besides stages?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be real, the only stage that's actually better this way is Pyrosphere, and it's purely my bias talking, but I don't really mind the Metroid Other M stage being banned in singles especially since it has a boring platform layout anyway. Pokemon Stadium 2 is fine for legality the way it is and honestly is a better stage the way it is; just learn to fully control your character and the transformations aren't a problem really. The others are either obviously singles legal already and not mechanically changed (like Smashville) or are not legal either way (like Wii Fit Studio).
It's less a tourney legality thing for most people, and more "I want a few more stages to play more straight, competitive matches with my friends".

For example, one of my favourite stages to have a more competitive match on is Windy Hill, but that isn't tourney legal because of the windmill being a sort of situational walk off (and maybe because of the springs too, but I personally don't see them as a problem even in a tourney setting).

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
So the only change is added 8 player stage compatibility. Fair enough.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Having Pyrosphere without hazards and Luigi's Mansion without pillars would be great for doubles :(

KingBroly

Smash Lord
It's a nice update. Makes you wonder where Miiverse, Tournament Mode and Mewtwo are.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It just opens like normally. Doesn't prompt for an update.
I opened it and no update started. Then I closed it and went on the eShop thinking it might be there. Having no luck I exited the eShop and started the game again where it began updating.

It seems a bit contrary.

As for the update I won't miss the Metroid hazards but losing the Animal crossing characters is kind of a downer. Also having a big wall covering mirror with no reflections sounds really odd.

Wii Fit Studio 8 player battle also known as Vampire mode.

Last edited:

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
I've gotta say, I'm glad that Wii Fit Studio, Town and City and Smashville is now 8 Player.

Town and City and Smashville is now a ghost town.
At least they fixed the Wii Fit Pose effects. Unlike the Omega version with them popping in instead of fading in.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
It's a nice update. Makes you wonder where Miiverse, Tournament Mode and Mewtwo are.
This seems like an impromptu update. They literally only added 8-player Smash stage files. The new update announcement is likely to be at APEX (strong straw-picking here) or in the inevitable future Nintendo Direct around Spring.

Online got worse.
Kinda expected since it was just released.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Stinks that Boxing Ring isn't available for 8-Player Smash.

All the fun you could have doing mock tag team matches.

Khao

Smash Lord
Anyone else extremely annoyed at the fact that the game already has the capability of turning off hazards in stages, but they're not letting us use it freely?

Seriously, it's a feature that a lot of people want, and has a functionality that is already programmed into the game, what's the point of leaving it out?

Does anyone even care that PS All-Star did it first?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's nice that Mario Galaxy can now be played in Omega Form for 8 players. Prior to the update, Omega Mario Galaxy was only an option for up to 6 players; 7-8 players could only play the standard form.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Wonder if they haven't touched anything yet didn't touch anything yet due to them viewing waiting to view apex to find more balance possibilities.

_gold_

Smash Master
Any update is good update. Nothing ground-breaking, but baby steps.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Anyone else extremely annoyed at the fact that the game already has the capability of turning off hazards in stages, but they're not letting us use it freely?

Seriously, it's a feature that a lot of people want, and has a functionality that is already programmed into the game, what's the point of leaving it out?

Does anyone even care that PS All-Star did it first?
Nah, not really. I'm quite happy with this update, seeing as how it was completely unexpected in the first place.

And I wouldn't say that the ability to disable hazards was already programmed into the game. This update was 300 MB, so they evidently had to add quite a bit to be able to make a "no-hazards" version of these stages available.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Check out if there are more menus off/online that you can use the home button in, it would be a nice user experience change.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Hopefully a hazard switch is being considered at the least for future updates. I'd be curious how they decide to put in something like that, UI-wise.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I kind of think they will come with some sort of balance patch and some extra things. At least we know a patch can come anytime in the future.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
enter sakurai
That's not as magical as you think, a lot of stages are still too big, walk offs, etc.

Omega at least guarantees we'll be able to see all the backgrounds and hear all the music without playing on crap stages.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hopefully this affects single player modes to make them more diverse. Too bad I literally just finished my last classic mode challenge yesterday...

Edit: Yep. Applies to Classic. My timing was flawless.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Nah, not really. I'm quite happy with this update, seeing as how it was completely unexpected in the first place.

And I wouldn't say that the ability to disable hazards was already programmed into the game. This update was 300 MB, so they evidently had to add quite a bit to be able to make a "no-hazards" version of these stages available.
There were already several hazard-less versions of stages used in event mode before this too. Dunno why the update is so big anyway, it's not like they're adding any new assets.

Top Bottom