• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So 1.0.2 update literally just came out

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Sure, I've seen that before on like smash wiki or something, but there's no mention of stock effect and no formula for it that i've ever seen.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I was not aware there was a new update to the game. I'll check it out tomorrow since I don't have time nor the effort to do it now since I'll be leaving for work in 2 hours.

YGK

Smash Cadet
While I don't think they made any balancing changes in this update, it should be pointed out that replay's still working doesn't necessarily mean there were no character changes. The update was large enough (a bit under 200 MB IIRC) that they could have added code to associate replay data with the game version it was generated by.

Replays function by literally re-playing all the control inputs for the match, so if the properties of the moves those inputs represent change, the resulting game will not be the same. To avoid this, the game could keep a record of every move & character's properties for each update, and simply tag replays with the version number so it knows what properties to use. Most of these properties are things like character weight, knockback levels & angles, and frame data, all of which can be described with just a few numbers (ie, no 3d models or other large game resources), so it wouldn't require that much space to store the necessary information.

I would expect Nintendo to tell us if they did something like this, but given how vague their release notes are I would not be overly surprised to hear they made a change like this without announcing it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Any changes that a fighter receives would render the replays unplayable. Since we can still play our 1.0.1 replays, there are no changes to any of the fighters.

YGK

Smash Cadet
Any changes that a fighter receives would render the replays unplayable. Since we can still play our 1.0.1 replays, there are no changes to any of the fighters.
I'm just saying that the mechanism that makes this true could itself be changed by an update. Nintendo may decide that forcing players to get rid of replays every time they patch the game isn't a good idea and make the necessary adjustments to prevent this from happening with future updates.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
I'm just saying that the mechanism that makes this true could itself be changed by an update. Nintendo may decide that forcing players to get rid of replays every time they patch the game isn't a good idea and make the necessary adjustments to prevent this from happening with future updates.
That's not really possible remotely. It would be an entirely different match if you changed character data since replays are saved button inputs. Say my Ftilt was buffed to have increase knock back and I KO you 10% earlier, the replay would show that but it would cease to be a 'replay'.

That's why all replays go bye-bye whenever character data is changed, what you're proposing is very out there and not really practical for them to waste time on if they couldn't even put in a hazard on/off switch.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
You're wasting your breath. If it makes you feel any better, I understand what you are saying.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Kinda irked how Boxing Ring and Wrecking Crew aren't 8 Player Smash stages when they have the fit for it for sure, but I'll get over it

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Yea, I've literally never played wrecking crew with other people. I think its pretty sad that some of these massive stages don't work in 8 player.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
That's not really possible remotely. It would be an entirely different match if you changed character data since replays are saved button inputs. Say my Ftilt was buffed to have increase knock back and I KO you 10% earlier, the replay would show that but it would cease to be a 'replay'.

That's why all replays go bye-bye whenever character data is changed, what you're proposing is very out there and not really practical for them to waste time on if they couldn't even put in a hazard on/off switch.
He described a way to circumvent a problem and you responded by explaining the problem.

Say there's a place where the ground is made completely of rock, except for a bunch of 10-foot shafts of dirt. You have a digging robot that you want to use to collect the dirt, but if it hit the rock, then it would break. So, you tell it to find shafts of dirt and then dig for exactly ten feet before stopping. Then you learn that there will be a very specific earthquake or something (work with me here) that will create 9-foot shafts of dirt. So you quickly put a blue dot on each of the current dirt shafts and tell the the robot that it should now dig for nine feet, but use its old ten-foot digging routine if the shaft has a blue dot.

It's highly unlikely that Nintendo did that, yes, but not such a far-fetched idea.

I really didn't need to use a complex analogy for that, did I? Ah well, it was fun making it up.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

As has been explained you can just program the game to go back to it's previous versions values when playing said replay and then reverting back to the newer version once the replay is done playing. It's not as hard as it might seem. It's probably a lot of work in terms of man hours. A lot of tedious checking and rechecking everything is working well in every version up until now (which is what, 2 versions?). But in terms of how difficult to implement, it's actually extremely easy and once they have a system going for it, adding a new version to the system would take virtually 0 extra time.

Last edited:

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
He described a way to circumvent a problem and you responded by explaining the problem.
Yes, I saw that after I posted... It was late and I was not reading lucidly enough. My apologies :054:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In case anyone hasn't seen this yet, the amiibo reading and saving system has been modified to an extent. Now you'll be prompted on whether or not you want to modify your amiibo, and upon saving, instead of returning to the main menu, you'll return back to the amiibo scanning screen.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Among random things the update may have changed, from what little I've played with it so far it seems like the timing window to choose your victory pose when the battle ends might be increased. Before the update, I was finding I had to hold down the appropriate d-pad direction before "GAME!" appeared, but now it seems to work slightly afterward as well. Basically, manually choosing your victory pose now works like it does on the 3DS version in terms of timing. Of course, that could just be the RNG picking the victory pose I was attempting to select 3 times in a row.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
About the Replays...

I read what you guys have been saying about replays. If the replays were videos just like the videos in the movies section then it should have no issue playing these prerecorded videos. So I don't understand why the version matters. This is a video that happened in the past just like how the game play shown in the movies are showing a partially developed game.

YGK

Smash Cadet
About the Replays...

I read what you guys have been saying about replays. If the replays were videos just like the videos in the movies section then it should have no issue playing these prerecorded videos. So I don't understand why the version matters. This is a video that happened in the past just like how the game play shown in the movies are showing a partially developed game.
Replays aren't actually video's; recording a video of the gameplay for a match would require a lot more spare memory and processing power than the console has access to, so they just record all the information needed to recreate the battle (what commands the players entered and when), so it is literally re-playing the fight when you watch a recorded match. Now imagine an update gives a certain move more knockback, the recording will just "press the same buttons" as before, but the results will be different, so the characters will throw out moves regardless of where the other characters are. Personally I wish nintendo would let us watch replays like this, 'cause it would probably be pretty funny.
The movies section contains actual video files, so they are not affected by any changes to game physics. (To be clear, the consoles are more than capable of storing and replaying video files, but recording video of a match in real-time is much more difficult)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think they added new mii outfits i previously had the "congrats you unlocked them all " playing last night I unlocked a few more new ones some how...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think they added new mii outfits i previously had the "congrats you unlocked them all " playing last night I unlocked a few more new ones some how...
I sincerely doubt that. They'd add that to the 3DS version as well, no doubt.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Pics or it didn't happen
I could be wrong, ill put pics up at some point or in the very least describe the name of what I unlocked. Maybe someone rlse can confirm this to..
Edit...

Nearly positive they added me more mii clothes... I unlocked the able sister challege / trophy long ago... Def got new mii clothes after the update.

So after unlocking able sisters challenge/ trophy i unlocked...

Edit

Mage robe
Master gardeners crown
Barbara the batvwig
Princes crown?
... Maybe these already existed and me unlocking able sisters was a glitxh or maybe i didnt needed all clothes to unlock it.

Edit

http://m.imgur.com/4OJjNW7

I could be wrong but i unlocked these after the able sisters challenge/ trophy once the update came out... I could be wrong of what exactly the able sisters thing entails entirely but im pretty sure it was all mii clothes.

Edit

If im right about this, you guys calling me out on it clearly dont play smash enough ;)

Last edited:

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Yeah, haha, you talked yourself out of it but all 4 of those were in the game pre-patch. If you don't have the Majora's Mask trophy then you don't have all the headgear yet anyways. It is weird that you would have gotten the Able trophy without the Mage Robe's though...

Top Bottom