• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snowstorm - In-Depth Video About IC Grabs

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
He's at home, playing probably. He doesn't post here. Gtfo off of ppl's *****, plz. On topic: Sweet *** vid. Def gave me another desire to try them out for just a bit more till I get this **** down. Have to say though, so far it's looking grim. Ah well, only time will tell...

RunningDuck

Smash Rookie
Another tip to help you guys who're having trouble with forward chaining and down chaining

Forward chaining timing is actually not too bad. If you turn up the volume a little, whenever one of them throws, initiate the grab right after you hear popo or nana yell but before the hammer hits them. It's about .7 seconds long, not too bad of a window. The more difficult part is getting them in the right position so you can chain grab the second/third/etc. time.

Back chaining is a few more levels more difficult. It's almost the instant right after the throw has been initiated, an entirely different timing compared to the forward chain.

Again, just position them using a gentle tilt. make sure you're not rushing it, otherwise one climber will be stuck in throw animation and not chain properly.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
You should make a sticky =P

Really, he is good.

Anyways, I posted to ask

Any good uses for RARing with the IC's, I find grabs a better approach, anyone think otherwise?
If the character is tall then maybe you can hit with bairs

which are pretty strong anyway so go for it

but yeah, usually dash attacks and grabs are better approaches because they are lower to the ground

don't bother with raring too much.. very situational for ic's. even nairs are a good approach, esp auto-cancelled.

try to support your approach with blizzards or ice blocks first

Trozz

Smash Ace
Popo grab, Nana f-air and Popo grab, Nana c-stick smash are the two combos I'm able to pull off after having watched this. Thanks!

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Incredible, very promising for me playing ICs as one of my faves =D. Psy.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
A Few Questions...

Okay, so I haven't had much time to Brawl lately, I'll have to thank school for that, but I've decided to dedicate my time when playing to learning the Ice Climbers. Thanks to your tutorial I have a ton of inspiration for them. I've had one opportunity to fool around with what was presented in the video, and let me tell you, some of their more advanced grabs will take some time to perfect.

I can do the simple Popo D-throw chaingrab, as many characters have similar chains, such as Falco and Dedede. I've had some success with d-throw to Nana forward air, but have tons of work ahead of me in perfecting it. As many have said, alternating throws are difficult to pull off. The problem is, I have very little experience with the Ice Climbers, I was never fond of them in Melee. Their mechanics confuse me slightly, and I have some questions.

1. When grabbing, what is the best way to execute a grab? In the past, I simply used Z. Now however, I use L or R + A. I've heard shield grabs are better from dashing because they're said to extend the grab range a bit, making the chase game much more simple. Should all of my grabs with the Ice Climbers be executed with shield + A? Does it really make a difference? Also, I maybe mistaken but, doesn't shield + Z act in the same fashion as shield + A and perform a grab? So would dashing and using shield + Z also extend the range?

2. When I grab with Popo, and I want to perform an alternating grab, how do I advance the next ice climber to the desired position, in this case the next Ice Climber being Nana? What I mean is, when I grab with Popo, Nana may be slightly behind Popo, to perform the alternating grab, do I tilt the analog stick slightly to maker her move around while Popo is in the grab animation? If I tilt to far or fast doesn't Popo throw?

3. Could someone explain in more depth the concept behind alternating throws, like what buttons are used and the timing of it all? For example, When you grab with Popo do you repeatedly press Z to rack up damage, while at the same time advancing Nana to the enemy with slight tilts of the analog stick? Then when Nana is in position how do you execute the final throw-- the analog stick, correct? In which case you'd have to quickly smash the control stick to whatever direction you intend, in this case I'm trying to alternate forward. Then do you just immediate grab so that Nana grabs the opponent before they are thrown?

4. I've heard of pivot grabs and turn-around grabs, are they the same thing? I don't understand how to pull off a pivot grab. Also, I believe it is explained on the Dojo, but I still don't get it. Can anyone explain pivot grabs and turn around grabs?

If someone could suggest the best buttons to use for this I'd appreciate it. I mean, I say this knowing that there are multiple ways to execute a grab. So one way might make the Ice Climber chains much more available.

Sorry for the confusion, I just want to fully understand what I'm to do when I have more time to really dissect this.

P.S. Void, I recently came across your youtube video showing the IC Iceblock infinite... Amazing find man. You're the Ice Climber master!

Thanks!

Looking forward to a response :D

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
1. I havn't felt a huge increase in the grab range of the IC with the dashing shield grab as opposed to dashing normal grab so usually I use Z unless im actually shielding something and grabbing.

2. For me the best way is to do alternating forward throws and when you input the forward on the analog move the analog all the way to the edge of it's slot, but dont smash it, you want to get a forward throw + a fast walk with the other climber, not a dash. On lighter characters or at low % you might want to use a slower walk.

3. With the alternating throws all you do is throw and grab like I said in the previous answer. To rack up damage use the C-Stick each time popo grabs.

4. I'm not really sure what each of these mean. All I know is that pivoting means dashing in one direction then before the initial dash animation end dash in the another direction and input a move which should result in the move being done at standing animation like you didnt dash at all.

If someone could suggest the best buttons to use for this I'd appreciate it. I mean, I say this knowing that there are multiple ways to execute a grab. So one way might make the Ice Climber chains much more available.

As far as the iceblock infinite go, I had a chance to test it vs a couple of real players and it's good for getting a grab near the edge (You can walk while spamming iceblocks and not break it), it's not a really good damage racker.

sparkyy

Smash Rookie
that was really good the only bad thing is that I play with the wiimote only, but I might have to buy a gamecube controller just for IC heh.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
I am thinking of maining the Ice Climbers... They are pretty awesome XD. I was doing some of the combos in your video but I always ran into one problem.

When I did a Downthrow + Nana F-air , popo would attack as well but not the fsmash that I wanted. So the opponent gets pushed out of range of my fsmash.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Wow I hate these filters XD.

Ice cream man- ICs
Halo- s mash

zaf

Smash Lord
i really cant seem to get the alternating grabs down pat. I grab with popo, but then when i go to do a forward throw nana doesnt go forward like in the video. How do i get her to de-sync from popo so that i can do this?

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
i really cant seem to get the alternating grabs down pat. I grab with popo, but then when i go to do a forward throw nana doesnt go forward like in the video. How do i get her to de-sync from popo so that i can do this?
The IC's are automatically desynched when you grab. While trying to do an alternating Fthrow hold the control stick all the way to the side(don't smash it), and Nana should walk.

Faux

Smash Rookie
I don't plan on maining Ice Climbers any time soon, but this would be really fun to do during friendlies. Thanks for making this awesome video.

zaf

Smash Lord
this still really isnt working at all for me. I grab the opponent, but how can i move nana forward? Everytime i push the control stick forward, i just do a forward throw. What am i doing wrong?

Alopex

Smash Ace
To Orca,

About Pivot Grabbing:

It's actually very simple. A pivot grab can only be done when you are turning around from a dash. Essentially, when you are dashing and quickly tap in the opposite direction, your character will have that short pivoting animation before they actually start running in that opposite direction.

It is during that pivot animation, before they start running again, that you press the grab button.

Your character will lunge quite far forward with a grab.

It's a decent technique, but it's not useful for anything other than stopping chasers. In other words, if you are running away from someone and they are running after you, you can surprise them with a sudden pivot grab.

That's all there is to it.

Dash, tap in opposite direction to turn around, press grab while they are in the turning around animation.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Just wanted to thank Void and everyone, IC rock, ha, gotten alot better in the past few days.

Wardub

Smash Cadet
Can somebody help me with alternate throwing? I am having trouble with the timing of the forward grab, I know there is different timing for different weights, I have been practicing on Kirby. And sometimes I can get up to about 4-5 throws but then I can't go anymore. I need to know when exactly to hit the grab button. Does this change as the percentage increases?

Also can somebody explain the backthrow with Popo, sometimes I can get it by hitting the opposite direction and Z at the same time. Other times it won't work.

BbqCombo

Smash Apprentice
For me, the backthrow is easiest, Bthrow into Nana Bthrow into Popo Bthrow, rinse and repeat. You dont even move forwards or backwards much so theres no fear of having to turn around if you get to an edge.
Try all of their throws and see wich one you're good at. Also, Wardub, i cant chaingrab kirby that much either(or any light character for that matter). I can do it about 3-5 times then i miss so i just use Fthrow into spike :/

kookoomonkey

Smash Rookie
Very nice video.
But...
I need help on the dthrow f-air
I don't really understand how to do this.
Also, when you do the alternating throws...how come the shield never pops up for you
but when i do the alternating throw it always pops up

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hmm...the most alternate throws I can get is four. Do you have to start timing the grabs a bit different at higher percentages?

And the only two I've mastered so far are: Popo Fthrow to Nana Fair and The DThrow chain. The good thing is that you can almost perform a 0 to Death with just these two on the right opponent.

BbqCombo

Smash Apprentice
Very nice video.
But...
I need help on the dthrow f-air
I don't really understand how to do this.
Also, when you do the alternating throws...how come the shield never pops up for you
but when i do the alternating throw it always pops up
For the Dthrow to Fair, press down then up quickly so popo will Dthrow and Nana will jump up then press forward A to do a Fair with Nana, then regrab. The timing is only somewhat tight but its easy to master once you get it.

Your shield pops up if you hold z like if you grab, and you miss but you continue to hold z, it will autoshield. Just dont hold z and you wont shield, also dont tap z rapidly cuz u'll shield like that too i think:)

Hope this helps

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
I'm having some trouble doing the alternating grab and grab fair consistently.
I noticed grab+b-move combos aren't in there. Down throw/blizzard is one of my faves...not as useful but still really fun and easy to pull off. D-throw+squall is also great.

Top Bottom