• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake vs. R.O.B.

Diska

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say that I really don't know the ROB matchup so I have a really hard time fighting ROBs, even though I second him. He's really annoying though and for sure Snake doesn't outcamp him. Snake has to be agressive...

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
It's pretty much an even camping game. All ROB has are his lasers and gyro. Both are easy to powershield on reaction. If you throw nades in between you can out camp ROB. Pulling out Nades in between lasers is really easy to do. Of course, ROB can deal with your nades too. So it's basically whoever makes the first camping mistake loses the camp war. Snake doesn't need to be massively aggressive. The matchup isn't as bad as you make it sound. I think the only real problem is getting gimped, which is pretty easy to avoid now anyway.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I'd have to say that I really don't know the ROB matchup so I have a really hard time fighting ROBs, even though I second him. He's really annoying though and for sure Snake doesn't outcamp him. Snake has to be agressive...
It's pretty much an even camping game. All ROB has are his lasers and gyro. Both are easy to powershield on reaction. If you throw nades in between you can out camp ROB. Pulling out Nades in between lasers is really easy to do. Of course, ROB can deal with your nades too. So it's basically whoever makes the first camping mistake loses the camp war. Snake doesn't need to be massively aggressive. The matchup isn't as bad as you make it sound. I think the only real problem is getting gimped, which is pretty easy to avoid now anyway.
Guy it's been discussed, look at the OP. :)
This thread is pretty much....just here.

Falco isn't that hard to deal with but among Snake's 50:50 MUs, Falco would be the hardest.

Olimar and DDD however are the big deal

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet
Totally legit thread necromancy!

I just thought that I should point out that I keep hearing about how easy it is to powershield rob's projectiles. And it is :D. But the way I see it as a rob player is that laser counters grenades. This means that I will use my laser only one of three occasions:

-You pull out a grenade
-You are off the stage and I have a powered-up laser
-Your shield is not full

One thing that has not been brought up is that the normal laser is good at poking shields. Snake's shield is great, and covers him supremely well and as such most snake players, when in doubt, sit in their shield. At VG Bootcamp not too long ago Nope gave me some advice on my Snake, and one big thing he said was "Don't be afraid to sit in your shield. Snake has a great shield. You don't need to roll when under shield pressure." which was something I was doing. ROB's regular one-a-second laser can deal damage that will stack up and annoy you. And when you think: "Aha! It can not use his laser again immediatly after it's innitial use! I shall taketh a grenade from my pocket and smiteth yonder foul automatron!" (This is how snake players think :p) Rob still has a gyro that blocks grenades when thrown.

Also, keep in mind that Rob can angle his laser, ftilt, and fsmash. A lot of people forget the last two. Oh and if a Rob gets nair happy off the edge feel free to throw grenades into his ***. Believe me, Robs hate cases of exploding-***.

[TL/DR] Laser can shieldpoke if your shield is just a little low. Rob can do other things too! Probaby 55/45.

g2g4gold

Smash Cadet
I struggle with this one in particular, a close friend of mine plays R.O.B. and wins maybe 2 out of 3 matches.

It's not like he's walking all over me, and I hope I've gotten a little better since I last played him, but my main concern is that I can never force him to approach. The guy camps just as well as I do, and if I start moving in I'll try to PS the dual projectiles and either get caught in a dash grab when I'm shielding, secure another safe position on-stage, or even his own f-tilt that's actually pretty good at spacing, I don't know if it outranges the first hit of our f-tilt. One solution seems to be to actually PS the projectiles successfully, which'll take a little practice and anticipation.

The other tricky part of the matchup is his laser on my grenades, which is often the reason I end up approaching in the first place.

One great thing I learned from this thread is to try and f-tilt the top, and throw it up to prevent reuse, I'll definitely try that.

However, what is CQC (I read it in the first post)? By blindspot, is that R.O.B.'s backside? And if I'm recovering from up high, is it possible to fast fall air-dodge through his n-air?

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
For camping, ROB has cooldown time during his lasers. Pull out nades in between lasers, not before them. They may throw gyros at you in between the lasers too, but if you're allll the way across the stage, even a fully charged one won't hit you in time. I never really camp ROBs, but I'll try to next time to test out the theory more. And yes, a well timed air dodge fast fall can go right through Nair.

RATED

Smash Lord
I like this Matchup a lot, is really fun.

just beware of the Laser, Gyro, Ftilt, SDI his Dsmash and practice to airdodge Rob's Nair and you are fine and don't get overconfident and you have it. also trying to play a bit unorthodox since most rob really wait for the Ftilt.

is Snake's favor 55:45 since this is one of the Matchups that if u don't know it... you will get *****.

as a stage against him I consider to be great for snake against ROB is Battlefield or maybe is just my personal preference. probably he will take you to RC or a stage like that.

g2g4gold

Smash Cadet
Something the R.O.B. I play against often does is wait for me to land, and if I airdodge into the ground he'll catch me with a pivot grab. If I whiff a b-air going in, I get punished too, and this is all if he doesn't catch me on the way up. What's the best way to avoid these? If I pluck a grenade, it usually blows up after I get thrown (R.O.B.'s f-throw/b-throw are really quick), do I just try and stay as unpredictable as I can?

Sometimes these grabs can really put the match in his favor, although I guess this question isn't restricted to just R.O.B., it's just something I've got to deal with.

ErikG

Smash Ace
Something the R.O.B. I play against often does is wait for me to land, and if I airdodge into the ground he'll catch me with a pivot grab. If I whiff a b-air going in, I get punished too, and this is all if he doesn't catch me on the way up. What's the best way to avoid these? If I pluck a grenade, it usually blows up after I get thrown (R.O.B.'s f-throw/b-throw are really quick), do I just try and stay as unpredictable as I can?
You need to mix up your landings. You have plenty of options such as wave boucing c4/grenades, air dodging past him if he goes to hit you, fast fall air dodging, landing on your own down smash with a grenade in hand, and I'm sure there are plenty of other options.

Top Bottom