• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Video Guide - The Elements of War Part 7 Hosted (2 Parts left!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
How is it possible you've already finished and edited a fifteen min vid?

sorry for the double post.
He started at like 12

(next time use the edit button)

Havokk, are you going to include Glide Tossing in your AT section?

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Oh...
:smiliegor
^Me

Yes, include the Glide toss!

How useful is it for Snake?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
1. I'll put Glide Tossing (only reverse throw it useful)
2. I'll put "Bombsliding" as its called by the Link boards...
3. I started it like 3-4 hours ago xD, saving the movie now (REALLY doesn't need editing >.>... making it all "fancy" is useless when its a guide)

4. Should be up on Vimeo (no time limit, 500mb a WEEK though :/ so I can host 3-4 of them on here, and hopefully the rest shouldn't be as long to show as "The Basics" which was: All tilts, Jab, All Smashes, All Aerials, All Specials, All Throws

5. Working on Part 2 While Part 1 Saves

Edit:

Glide Tossing, Bombsliding, DAC, Jump-Canceled Throw (because a reverse bombslide is difficult for some), C4 Recovery, Grenade Stripping, Grenade Dropping, Shield Dropping, B-Reversal, Wavebounce, Jab Cancel, Item-Holding-Smash (how to)

Anything else?

Edit2:

Glide Toss is near useless for Snake except the reverse throw one.... >.>

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Lol, you forgot mortarsliding, unless that's in the basics.

You should seperate contact and no contact.

SuSa

contact and no contact are the same, people are just idiots ( I see absolutely no difference between them )

And mortarsliding/snakedashing/DAC/DACUS is all the same thing. I think Snakes found it first and named it snakedash/mortarslide and then it got renaimed to DAC/DACUS(Shieks)

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
]
Thats the DAC (dash attack cancel)
Sorry, I'm not exactly fimiliar with all these fancy-dancy abbreiviatopns.

Feel the Power
http://www.serebii.net/ssbb/characters/lucario/final.jpg[/IMG

...of mispelling

DonQuixote

Smash Apprentice
YAY. that is so much better than reading a guide. its waaay more helpful seeing everything done. im super excited for the next few videos to come :D

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Great job the

bla la bl bal bla

*steps on mine*

poosh

hilarious. lol hilarious.

Seriously, great job.

The only problem is that the shaking gave me nausea.

I assumed it did that because you were sitting on the bed?

It may be beneficial to pull up a chair, or stand.

SuSa

I have no chairs, my rooms upstairs >.>.... and its the best way I can do this (so I can fix the camera of anything happens)

Vid 2 was recorded... then my camera decided to run out of memory and lose the entire video.... >.> so I need to redo it.

Edit:

Lalalala BOOM!

Edit2:

I tried to have SOME fun while making this xD lol

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Vid 2 was recorded... then my camera decided to run out of memory and lose the entire video.... >.> so I need to redo it.
...That sucks major balls.

It may be good to stand, or carry a chair upstairs, foldup or not.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
We have 15 pound wooden chairs that would cut off the top 1/2 of my TV because they are so short.

Sorry, but this is the BEST its going to get :p
Try to minimize thy body movement and maximimize thy power of speach and thy button mashing.
:psycho:

P.S. I'm going to edit thy avatar and thy sig every blue moon, but thy avatar does not mean I am puttin thy focus on thy Kirby.

Edit, meh I just hit 70!

P.S. Does. What game is your avatar from?
The backround has an odd feel to it... maybe KH.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
If you want match-up info, go to the match up.

Off Topic: How do change the thing under your username? I don't think you can do it until about 5000 post count, though. (or modship)

SuSa

Modship or postcount... its somewhere

I think it goes

blah, I don't know

EDIT:

OP Updated with Video 1 Download link.

Video 2 ~ In Progress (Covered So Far: DAC, C4 Recovery, Brief Stage Teching, Shield Drop, Grenade Drop, Grenade Strip) Glide Toss, Jump-Canceled Toss, Bombslide, Item-Holding Smash, C4 Sticky the Stage (on BF), Wavebounce,

Edit 2:

Video 2 ~ In Editing

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad my name choice was used.

I'M SOMEHOW PART OF THE MAKING OF THIS VIDEO!!!!! SWEET!!!!!!

just saw the first video and it was real good. keep up the good work, I see good things from this series.

SuSa

I might remake vid 2...

1. Got interrupted for chores.
2. Got interrupted by sisters :/
3. Go interrupted by dinner...

Seriously :/ it's as if they DIDNT WANT ME TO MAKE THIS

However I do feel I covered all of the (important) AT's along with other (less used) ones such as glide tossing and bombsliding with grenades.

I left out DAC with bomb because... it's not really an AT >.> its just picking an item off the floor, unlike Link's where you have to SH drop bomb, FF, then DAC in like .2 seconds.

Hosting this one on youtube and Vimeo because Vimeo allows downloading ;) lol (and its 10x faster)

SuSa

*bump*

Video 2 is now up. I'll host it on Vimeo when I can.

Reason why I'm hosting everything on Vimeo (in time):

1 week = 500 MB / no time limit, "replenishes" each week .
Youtube = forever 1024 MB / 10 min time limit

Therefore I want to be able be sure I can host ALL OF THE VIDEOS this week! Therefore I'm only using Vimeo for videos that youtube cannot host until the series is done (since I cannot predict how large the videos will be)

I'm down to like 416 MB left on Vimeo, after only 1 video. When the entire series is done, I'll start hosting each video on Vimeo because it allows a 'download' link, uploads faster, and I feel is better then youtube (besides the whole 500MB a week thing)

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
I don't know why, but I can't watch any video on Vimeo :(

I wanted to see how you did too (I was expecting good)

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Do you have any firewalls or filters running? Try turning them off and watching. I can watch vids there no problem when I deactivate.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Do you have any firewalls or filters running? Try turning them off and watching. I can watch vids there no problem when I deactivate.
not at all, it just won't load, I tried turning off my filter and firewall only to realize I already had them off >.>

eh, my internet is probably just being homo, I'll try again later

SuSa

Video 3 - Grenades Techniques

Has been added.

Enjoy when youtube proccesses it :)

Stage Control - Currently Working on (in an hour >.> taking a break from video stuffz lol)

I'll be showing good stage control on:

All Neutral Stages (Lylat, PKMN 1, BF, FD, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl) am I missing any?)

Nic64

Smash Lord
depends on the rules but I think I've also seen delfino, halberd, and castle siege used, although I think CS must have been a horrible mistake

and great job so far, lol at how many times "broken" is used in the first vid :)

SuSa

Seriously, all of his hitboxes and knockback (for moves without broken hitboxes) are broken.

Utilt - hitbox
ftilt - hitbox
grenades - hitbox
c4 - hitbox
mine - hitbox
nikita - all projectiles are disjointed... so hitbox
nair - I've seen that final kick land and be like... | (opponent) ---------- (snake)
jab - knockback
fsmash - knockback
bair - hitbox
uair - hitbox
dair - knockback + hitbox is a bit strange

>.>

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Excellent.

P.S. The Mentor thing is on, anytime today.

I'll be checking.

I'll also use Ike on FD/Battlefield.
I'm on now!

nice1

Smash Lord
**** havokk you're fast at this. thanks a lot finna watch them now. keep up the good work

SuSa

I'll probably remake them someday when I have a better way to record, but for now these are good.

I also may re-make them as we discover new things / I find better ways to explain (most, not just one thing) things, etc.

think of these like a Beta that may never get upgraded xD

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Excellent work on the videos Havok, things like these will definitely help to spur thought and advancement on the Snake boards.:)

I have a few personal nitpicks. Snakes dash is actually very good, it's relatively fast and has a very short initial dash animation. This allows you to cancel it with a shield drop quickly and often.

Dashing may seem at first to limit your options, but the increase in mobility allows Snake to be far more agressive and space more effectively and quickly.

The utility of the dash is almost equal to walking, because any move can be done out of a shield drop, which lasts very few frames, I think it's 1-2.

It's also very effective because it allows Snake to dash into a grab, Snake will slide into a shield-cancelled-grab, greatly extending the hitbox of his grab.

If you need proof of the effectiveness of dashing with Snake, Ally and Afrothunder put Snakes dash to great use. Ally himself rarely walks in a match, he almost exclusively dashes, to great effect. I'd link the videos but it's late and I've gotta work early tommorrow.:(

contact and no contact are the same, people are just idiots ( I see absolutely no difference between them )
Bolded is harsh, and in this case untrue. Contact and no contact have very different properties. No contact is obviously faster, with greater range as you don't need to connect with the enemy to use it. It is also less safe than contact, because for the entirely latter half of the move the only hitbox is the mortar.
The mortar seems like a good defence but many characters can circumvent it while still punishing Snake.

Contact is useful because when Snake dash attacks their shield, it gives a certain amount of stun, enough that you can almost always cancel into the upsmash. When the upsmash comes out, even if they shielded the initial dash attack the mortar (the actual mortar 'stand') can sometimes poke through their shield.

It's also much safer than no contact because after either hitting the character or their shield, you are propelled with great momentum past them, with the mortal falling directly on or behind Snake, making it much harder to circumvent.

Lastly, the general consensus is that Snakes glide-toss is useless, so I cannot fault you alone for this conclusion, however I strongly disagree.
I don't really wanna go into too much detail, it's difficult to explain with words alone, but through my own testing I have found that Snakes glidetoss can be made to be as effective as both Diddy's and ROB's.
I would go so far as to say that his is more effective, because he can always have grenades ready to throw.

I'll hopefully be making a tutorial for Snakes glide-toss in the next week or two.

Anyway, these are just some personal thoughts about some aspects of Snake, I think you've done a great job with the videos so far and I encourage you to continue!

SuSa

Excellent work on the videos Havok, things like these will definitely help to spur thought and advancement on the Snake boards.:)

I have a few personal nitpicks. Snakes dash is actually very good, it's relatively fast and has a very short initial dash animation. This allows you to cancel it with a shield drop quickly and often.

Dashing may seem at first to limit your options, but the increase in mobility allows Snake to be far more agressive and space more effectively and quickly.

DAC, very rarely I said would you want to dash. Dashing sucks as Snake, almost as bad as it does for Marth. Whatever you can do out of a dash, you can do from a walk. From a walk, you can do a dash as well.

The utility of the dash is almost equal to walking, because any move can be done out of a shield drop, which lasts very few frames, I think it's 1-2.
Shield Drop is much more then 1-2 frames, your leaving out the time it takes to actually shield, the actual dropping of the shield is 1-2 frames I believe.

It's also very effective because it allows Snake to dash into a grab, Snake will slide into a shield-cancelled-grab, greatly extending the hitbox of his grab.
Boost Grab / Boost Pivot grab solves the extension, plus you can always dash out of a walk for this, therefore losing no options.

If you need proof of the effectiveness of dashing with Snake, Ally and Afrothunder put Snakes dash to great use. Ally himself rarely walks in a match, he almost exclusively dashes, to great effect. I'd link the videos but it's late and I've gotta work early tommorrow.:(

Haven't heard of Afro, and Ally dashes to keep pressuring which isn't exactly Snake's best options. He does it well however, and dashing from a dthrow to tech-chase is normally better then shielding.

Bolded is harsh, and in this case untrue. Contact and no contact have very different properties. No contact is obviously faster, with greater range as you don't need to connect with the enemy to use it. It is also less safe than contact, because for the entirely latter half of the move the only hitbox is the mortar.
The mortar seems like a good defence but many characters can circumvent it while still punishing Snake.

Contact is useful because when Snake dash attacks their shield, it gives a certain amount of stun, enough that you can almost always cancel into the upsmash. When the upsmash comes out, even if they shielded the initial dash attack the mortar (the actual mortar 'stand') can sometimes poke through their shield.

It's also much safer than no contact because after either hitting the character or their shield, you are propelled with great momentum past them, with the mortal falling directly on or behind Snake, making it much harder to circumvent.

I've never been able to feel a difference between no-contact and contact to perform, I didn't mean that they didn't have different uses.

Lastly, the general consensus is that Snakes glide-toss is useless, so I cannot fault you alone for this conclusion, however I strongly disagree.
I don't really wanna go into too much detail, it's difficult to explain with words alone, but through my own testing I have found that Snakes glidetoss can be made to be as effective as both Diddy's and ROB's.
I would go so far as to say that his is more effective, because he can always have grenades ready to throw.

Only 2 of his glide tosses are somewhat useful, but its not always his best options, especially due to the relatively short fuse of his grenades.

I'll hopefully be making a tutorial for Snakes glide-toss in the next week or two.

Anyway, these are just some personal thoughts about some aspects of Snake, I think you've done a great job with the videos so far and I encourage you to continue!
Responses are in Red

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Snake has almost no need to dash. Walking keeps his options open, and you can mortar slide if you need to cover ground quickly. The only time I ever dash is a quick fox trot into a grab.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
DAC, very rarely I said would you want to dash. Dashing sucks as Snake, almost as bad as it does for Marth. Whatever you can do out of a dash, you can do from a walk. From a walk, you can do a dash as well.

Dashing sucks with Marth only because he has a ridiculously long initial dash animation, leaving him without the ability to shield drop into anything. Snake has one of the shortest initial dash animations, allowing him to shield drop very early.

Shield Drop is much more then 1-2 frames, your leaving out the time it takes to actually shield, the actual dropping of the shield is 1-2 frames I believe.

With quick hands, and effective use of the bufferring system, you can shield drop and act more than fast enough. I'm not saying that shield dropping takes no time, I'm saying that the pressure and speed with which it allows you to move offsets that small time window.

Haven't heard of Afro, and Ally dashes to keep pressuring which isn't exactly Snake's best options. He does it well however, and dashing from a dthrow to tech-chase is normally better then shielding.

Afro is a really good Snake from Cali.

The general consensus is that Snake pressuring isn't his best option, but that doesn't mean that it's true. Ally is fast becoming known as the best Snake in Brawl, he only has to defeat more US players to garner that crown. He is a trailblazer in that noone quite plays like Ally.

If Dashing was never a good option for Snake, than how is a player like Ally so effective? He dashes continuously in his matches, against top level competition.
Dashing allows Snake to push his opponent into uncomfortable positions. Walking, although you can do anything out of it, is very slow when used for spacing, and in many ways is predictable.
You keep saying DAC, but how many top level Snake players do you know that Spam DAC for pressure or spacing? it's duration is too long, and it's too unsafe.

Only 2 of his glide tosses are somewhat useful, but its not always his best options, especially due to the relatively short fuse of his grenades.

Again it's difficult for me to discuss this before I've made my video, the short fuse on Snakes grenades are actually an asset to his glide toss, in my oppinion.
With other characters that glidetoss, you're not throwing an explosive at them, that instantly limits their options of how they can react to it.

I'll discuss glide tossing with Snake, more indepth at a later date.
Responses are in bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom