• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Moves You Use Often / Sometimes / Never?

Alsark

Smash Rookie
What moves do you use for Snake often? What do you use only occasionally? Finally, what do you almost never use, aside maybe from when you accidentally use it?

I'm not the best with Snake, but I generally do beat all of my friends (not that they're any good, either). This is what I use often/situationally/never... and please make recommendations if you feel my style is incorrect.

Often
Ftilt - Has great damage and knockback.
A neutral - Seems to have longer range than ftilt, but perhaps a bit less damage and knockback? It's pretty fast, though.
Dash A - I use this a lot, especially with the mortar slide.
Usmash - I love doing the mortar slide. Plus, it's cool that it has two possibilities to hit (up and down).
Uair - A nice way to knock enemies further into the air.
Bair - Hits guys on both sides of you.
Up B - Obviously. It's his recover.
Neutral B - Admitedly, I spam grenades.
Down B - I usually try to have a C4 out, and try to blend it in with the level if the floor is black.

Sometimes
Utilt - Not too bad of a move, but not great, either. Generally I'd rather do uair.
Side B - Use it sometimes when enemy is recovering.
Fsmash - When I use this, it's usually by accident. It's too risky due both the pre and post lag of the attack, but it can be really rewarding if you manage to pull it off. I usually try to avoid using this move, though.

Never
Dsmash - The mine seems to take too long to plant and is too avoidable.
Nair - The first couple hits don't do much... the last hit is great, but you have to be high into the air for it to work... plus, I suicide a lot with this near edges.
Fair - It's great for spiking with the heel, but I kind of suck at air spiking, anyway... plus the move takes some time to pull off.
Dair - Just never seemed that good to me except for the last kick.
Dtilt - It's a good move, but for whatever reason, I never think to use it.
Uthrow - I don't grab very often.
Dthrow - I don't grab very often.
Side Throw - I don't grab very often.

Alsark

Smash Rookie
... Uh... what? Are those the ones that you use a lot? That post wasn't very specific :/.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Well I'm not tryin to change your playstyle, whatever works for you, but here's my opinions:

Jab more. Quick and strong, 'nuff said. Use sparingly on shorties though, you'll miss often unfortunately :(

Um, grab more. Tech chasing down throws works nicely to rack up damage, or else if they're at high damage you can at least launch 'em off and set up for some sort of edgeguard.

Utilt is a quick launcher with surprising horizontal range (I mean it's not great but it's longer than it looks so it's often not expected.) It's fine in sometimes category I suppose.

Dtilt can set up for a nair or ftilt depending on the damage, else it still serves as a pretty nice launcher. Try camping under a platform, crouch, and dtilt to the left or right depending on where they try to approach from above. This move shouldn't be in the "never" category.

Another that shouldn't be "never" is dsmash. It's got its uses, see here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154415
and here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=151534

Finally, Nair should be incorporated once in a while, don't spam it but a common misconception is that you have to be very high to execute it efficiently. Nope. Simpy jump, immediately hit A, and hold down the jump button. This causes snake to do one full hop complete nair, which isn't overly high that it won't hit the opponent. You can't just spam this though, it's good for catching them off guard. One thing you can try is c4/dsmash near the edge, and if the opponent uses a jump to get up off the ledge, you can intercept with a full hop nair.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I mainly use Dsmash, Usmash, B, and Down B along with most of his aerials. The only time I use his Side B is to grab a Smash Ball.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
This really isn't a unique move to him..but...

Few Snakes utilize crouching. Remember, Snake is one of the chars that can crawl while crouching, and this can be pretty effective in dodging certain aerials/projectiles while being mobile. (Also crouching works very nicely against Sonic's irregular aerial/special attacks that go every which way but somehow always hit you o.O. Anyone who's played vs a decent Sonic knows what I'm talking about, and without doing this you're pretty much a sitting duck because the little devil is fast as hell)

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
I try to avoid using F-Smash, as it is too punishable due to the large amount of lag, and rarely use his D-Tilt. But other than that, I use everything Snake has to offer, as it's all just too useful to left unnoticed. @ those who don't use his D-Smash; You're limiting your camping abilities and are not forcing certain parts of the stage to your advantage. And use grenades for gods sake, shield drop and pick em back up so you can throw them like a normal item... GG-renades.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
The moves I use are largely based on the situation I have before me within the match. If I'm playing in a 4 player brawl and all 4 players are still alive, I drop remote mines all over the stage waiting for a couple of people in mid fight to walk over my mines. Grenades and the mortar upsmash are also really useful in 4 player matches. Snake's fsmash is so powerful if you can get a clean hit, so it's a good move to sneak up on someone with.

The strategy is much different in one on one fights as several of Snake's moves can leave you totally open to a beatdown from your opponent (provided he/she is competent). Snake's fsmash in 1v1 is a deathwish as it is really slow to get off and leaves you really open. The Nikita is good for edgeguarding, but other than that I try not to use it. Really most of what I try to do in 1v1 consists of C4 planting on my opponent, shielding and grenade dropping, and using Snakes Ftilt and standard A moves.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
I like doing the bomb shield on agressive charicters Like Diddy and metanight. I also controle the distance with [upsmash,backroll,grenade,backroll grenade drop,repeat] It makes a head on attack very risky. I also spam his motar near the edge when i nock someone off. Gets the very off balance. And of cource i try to take advantage of an opponents lag by planting c4 on them.

I would say that i utilize all of snakes moves excpet for his nair and fair. I havn't mastered the timing on the meteor smash yet and I havn't been able to find a good use for his nair but i will.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
At this point I find myself to use a lot of the following, in this order:

1. Mortar sliding
2. Up smash
3. Jab
4. C-4
5. Ftilt
6. Grenades, if the situation calls for it
7. Nikita (Mainly just for edgeguarding)

CaptainPlatypus

Smash Cadet
Use most of the time - Jab Attack, Dash Attack, Usmash, Utilt, C4, Nades, Nikita, Dair, Fair, Uair, Ftilt, and Recover.

Use a decent amount - Grab, Dtilt, Nair, Bair

Don't really use - Fsmash

Almost never use - Dsmash

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Mortar sliding really isn't that amazing. It works, and it's a good follow up to the dash attack...But it really shouldn't be a primary approach imo.

Alsark

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'll try to work on grabbing more... it was just something I never used in Melee for some reason... same with down attacks (except down aerials).

I forgot to add dair and fsmash to the list... both of which I seldom use. And I dunno I put neutral B in the "sometimes" list... I actually use it a lot.

Hm... so up air as opposed to utilt... should I, instead of jumping up and kicking the guy, wait for him to come to me and use the utilt?

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Frequent:
DTilt
Down B
Utilt
Dtilt
Up B
UAir
Side B
Usmash

Not often:
Neutral AAA
NAir
Bair
Neutral B
Dsmash
UThrow

Never:
Dthrow
Dair

Mistake:
Fsmash

Covenant

Smash Rookie
I think people should use the Nikita more. Nobody seems to realize that you can cancel the missile and put the launcher away, which causes the warhead to drop down and then explode. I often send then up at a 45 degree angle and then disable the missle, creating nasty little projectile walls that go well with Grenade spam to disrupt movement. The missile has good damage and knockback, very good for a projectile that homes, and you can put it away quickly. If you have time to get one going as a chase, you might as well.

kevc

Smash Cadet
I think people should use the Nikita more. Nobody seems to realize that you can cancel the missile and put the launcher away, which causes the warhead to drop down and then explode. I often send then up at a 45 degree angle and then disable the missle, creating nasty little projectile walls that go well with Grenade spam to disrupt movement. The missile has good damage and knockback, very good for a projectile that homes, and you can put it away quickly. If you have time to get one going as a chase, you might as well.
i found this useful too, while playing with my friends i found that it had more of a chance of hitting if i dropped it on them as opposed to flying it directly straight in to them

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
I use(in no particular order):

Nikita(Yeah... his freaking best move)
Ftilt(good damage and knockback)
jab combo(an alternative to Ftilt)
Utilt(overall, a great anti air, and an alternative to Usmash when you don't have the time)
Usmash(Freaking sweet move, works great with....)
dash attack(Great damage, knockback, reasonably quick, and works great with Usmash. What's not to love. Can be used offensivly, or as a getaway tactic)
Nair(Great damage, reasonably fast to come out, and great knockback. Getting one in makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, and it's not hard to hit with at all. Use it whenever the right oppurtunity comes up)
Grenades(This projectile can simply do EVERYTHING. Whether it be a tool to restrict movement, act as a counter, screw with an opponent's head, or just plain throw at someone, it's simply a great move that can be used for almost anything)
Uair(Range, power, knockback, fast)
Bair(More range, just as powerful and fast. Freaking sweet move, and probably Snake's only viable defensive airial attack option. I love this move)
Dair(This could possibly fit in the sometimes catagory... It's a more mobile version of Nair and a better finisher in my case, but harder to hit with)

....Often

I use(in no particular order):

Cypher(duh)
Mine(it's a great move, but you only want to use it in times where you know it will prove advantageous)
C4(The key is waiting for the right oppurtunity to use it)

....Somtimes

I NEVER use:

Fsmash(Yeah, it hurts, but good luck hitting with it)
Fair(see Fsmash. It's a bit more viable though)
Dtilt(I should use it more often though... the move itself is a mindgame, with the way snake moves whiel doing it and all. So good of one that it even fools me when I use it...)

And I'm ashamed to say that I barely use throws at all. I know, you don't have to tell me...*lowers head in shame*

Zero000

Smash Rookie
Moves that i never use (or use accidentally)
Fsmash (too long)
Fair (again too long)

and sometimes Dair, i never seem to get any hits with it, i rather just do a Bair

Top Bottom