• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake and MK!!!!

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
whats up my kirby mains, i havent been here in a while. so how yall holding up with kirby? i am doing not too bad down here in florida, but i keep getting owned by snakes and MK's!! its getting annoying! how are you guys dealing with those characters?

-hiro

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
i went to a tourney recentlyand i didnt find snake and mk too difficult u just need to outsmart them. but the person i cant take down is rob. he out ranges him and i cant edge guard him

ron561

Smash Journeyman
Well i don't know how to really explain how I deal with them XD.I've beaten some great MKs and Snakes on AiB.

Snake really isn't to hard for me.I play aggressively,so the snakes I usually play like to try and counter my approach with ftilts and the like.Once I get past those ftilts I usually pull off some good combos on em and rack up the damage.The key is just watch those tilts and that slied thing he does with the fsmash.

I'm in the air with kirby alot,so I usually expect a snake to come sliding towards me with a usmash.Luckily for me,dair blows through the usmash missle from Snake easily,but don't get to careless doing that.

Meta knight,I usually approach with a nice fair or dash attack.Meta knights aren't really hard for me,it's just the speed and higher priority moves I have to watch out for,such as nado spam alot of mk's do.I manage to get out of them though almost all the time.

Dgrab them when you get the chance.Most of the time most mk's will dair as soon as they get out of dgrab,so you get another free grab.If not just follow up with a Uair.

When recovering,I jump and fair as that is pretty hard to get by,they almost always get hit with the 2nd or last hit.

When edge guarding,jump and fair if they are trying to glide down.I also like to use rock if they are climbing back on the stage,or even final cutter for when they use side b.

ron561

Smash Journeyman
i went to a tourney recentlyand i didnt find snake and mk too difficult u just need to outsmart them. but the person i cant take down is rob. he out ranges him and i cant edge guard him
Edge guarding rob is as simple as using bairs and fairs.

The thing you gotta watch out for is that dsmash though,which robs like to do.Just remember not to roll into them or they will use that dsmash alot.

I usually approach rob with some good fairs or dairs.

If i can get inside I will grab em and start up the combos.

Just watch that laser and the down b projectile,they are pretty easy to dodge.

When your on the inside,be careful of that dsmash,if you can just jump and fair them if your close enough,or do something else if you have an opening.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
For me, Snake is probably harder out of the two because he kills faster. MK does have a bit of an advantage, I find myself using so many up tilts, it's the only move that can keep up with MK quick attacks on the ground. Then I'll wait for that glide to perfect shield the glide attack and hit with a forward smash.

Against Snake well.... I've learned that down airing after immediately getting hit with an up tilt can save you from dying about 15% early so that's always a plus. The patient Snakes are probably the worst, the best thing you can do is just sit back and wait for him to approach and hopefully win after the 7 minutes are up lol.

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
I find MK alot harder to fight than Snake, probably cuz of the speed and the priority.

With Snakes, its pretty easy to get close to them by aerial camping, then start doin some U-tilts and on with the combos. All of Snake's moves are slower than Kirby's, besides his U-tilt, but that's just 1 move.

With MK's, i just can't seem to get the upper hand when i want to... i predict the moves coming, but they are so fast that i still get hit by them. I could get some hits in, but its really hard to string together multiple hits on him, cuz of his great counterability (no, he doesn't have a counter, but he can counter attack ur attacks easily). And he edgeguards like a maniac.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Generally metaknight is easier to me. All you have to do is space bairs on him. Be careful not to get caught up in his attacks and make sure to avoid the range of his downsmash at all times. Also be careful his downair. Kirbys fsmash can essentially beat any over metaknights attacks, including the tornado, so if he is whiffing an attack you can hit him out of it with an fsmash. Just space yourself a lot and realize that you have about the same range as him. Just be very careful of his downsmash and upb, learn to recognize the ranges on both of those and avoid them. If metaknight is comming towards you with a glide you can upangled fsmash him out of it and I think it will beat his glide attack. Go for early kills on metaknight but be careful when trying to gimp him as it is very unlikely you can kill him that way. Mixing hammers in with your bairs will also make your air game less predictable and possible give you an early kill.

Snake you just have to be realllyyyyy patient. If you are far away you can final cutter him (far away as in too far for the stupid dash mortar thing.) I generally do this when he pulls a grenade since snakes seem to like to do that from long distances. Always remember where those c4s are, and if you are going to approach from the ground the only thing you can really do is a sliding shieldgrab approach due to his insane range. Stay just out of his range and in the air and try to get him to whiff an attack before you hit him. Really the only time you can safely hit him is when he whiffs attacks. Roll>reverse utilt can work too since utilt clanks with all of his attacks and you can use it again immediately after it clanks.

Just work on getting snake into the air then switch from being defensive to agressive and juggle him as much as you can. His aerials are very laggy and he can't compete too well with kirbys aerials. Just make sure to figure out if the person you play is the type of person to airdodge whenever you are close enough to aerial or if they are the type the will have an attack out to try to hit you back.

Oh and snake has a LOT of landing lag from his upb, so if you can get it so hes not going to be grabbing the ledge, predict where he will land and go for the hammer. This matchup is very boring if the snake is defensive btw... just try to stay patient.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Snake can be hard, but if you can start predicting them, they're fairly easy for me. Basically, if you can get a grab in, they're in a lot of trouble, because a good Kirby will just keep him in the air and force him offstage. If you can do that, you will either get a ridiculous amount of damage on them with your B-Air, or grab him out of the Cipher for the kill. In this matchup, punish with grabs and hammers.

Metaknight is a matter of being unpredictable. You both have a lot of options on the ground and in the air, when I play them it just ends up being who can guess and counter the opponent better. If you can, during this force them to come to you with the Final Cutter. It forces them into the air, where your B-Air outdoes a lot of his aerials. Never use the Hammer. Punish with D-Air to grab, or a Fsmash.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
never u se hammer??? uall underestimate hammer's potential. Hammer scares players once u hit two or three times and it works very much like Bair so spacing it us fairly easy. Not to mention ground hammer punishes the end of MK's shuttle loop

D

Deleted member

never u se hammer??? uall underestimate hammer's potential. Hammer scares players once u hit two or three times and it works very much like Bair so spacing it us fairly easy. Not to mention ground hammer punishes the end of MK's shuttle loop
yeah u can get some good kills off of the hammers
i find that most mks dont usually see the second swing of the arial hammer coming so that gets em and if u play smart enough u can mindgame them into getting hit by a ground hammer

- 8BitRevolver

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
yeah u can get some good kills off of the hammers
i find that most mks dont usually see the second swing of the arial hammer coming so that gets em and if u play smart enough u can mindgame them into getting hit by a ground hammer
actually me i was on his computer lol

storm92

Smash Ace
Yeah it puzzles me why people shun the hammer from being used in competitive play.
It's a slow move, sure. But it can be used effectively, if only for mindgaming people, which mainly leads to them being put in a bad spot or being hit.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Stay in Snake's face, avoid the ****, etc.

But srsly, just stay aggressive, don't give him too many options.

as for MK, spacing bairs a lot works for me, an dnever leave yourself too open. It's an annoying, boring fight.

Mindgame the hammer. You get them once with it and they become scared of you, lol.

XxOblivion77

Smash Cadet
Both are very hard, but all you have to do is keep the pressure up, preferably with fast attacks. With MK, I like to lead them on and counter their attack with a smash attack or a grab.

Snake is pretty hard, but you have to keep the pressure up and keep your eye on him at all times.

ron561

Smash Journeyman
I use hammer quite often

If they are trying to recover ill run off the edge and hit em with a hammer.

It almost always works

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
hammer is such a good scare tactic also, once u hit them twice or three times they are gonna b very careful
also if u can predict when they upB u can hit with a well place hammer since it has such a large hitbox

ron561

Smash Journeyman
yep,after i've whacked a couple aggressive mk's with hammer,they really slow down their game by alot

then i just take over from there because they are to busy trying to awtch for that hammer

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I find it best to use ground hammer on roller's. Just predict that they are going to roll in that direction and BAM! It worked for me against the 2 Snakes I played against.
Snake is a problem for me though, mostly cause of his uptilt and f-tilt and jabs, which makes it hard to approach Snake. And since Kirby has to get in close to punish Snake its a very hard match up.
Against MK is hard, but you wont have to worry about him camping you.
R.O.B. is still my hardest match up with Kirby. The thing that I find useful against him is Wall of paining b-airs/f-airs with aerial hammers to move your momentum more.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
ROB is predictable u just have to b aggressive when ur in control and when he's farther away think about what he's gonna do, usually Fair or Neutral Air if he's in the air and if he's on the ground laser, Ftilt, Dtilt, gyro, and Dsmash. Once u play the matchup more u start to recognize which move is coming

ron561

Smash Journeyman
Yep thats all most robs do

At a distance,laser usually aimed at the ground,seeing as a smart rob knows you can duck,and gyro.

Stay in his face and watch dsmash.I find it effective to approach with fair,just be careful not to fair right into a dsmash.

Metroid475

Smash Cadet
I havent really fought a good snake so i have no problems with them. Mks on the other hand are pretty annoying. I usually play defensively with them and wait for an opening for a few uptilts or bairs. Then i just finish it off with fsmash.

Top Bottom