• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashfest Thursday, September 1st at 5pm. Brawl

Gichan

Smash Champion
It might just be the ps3, but Ive had alot of games drop from the character select screen. Once I get into a game the gameplay is pretty seamless though.

Should I bring anything?
Don'tknow really, just your controller for brawl pretty much. And here's my cell # in case you get lost or whatever (416) 453-4461.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Whos coming tonight? I might drop by.

Looft bring your ps3 with mvc3!

Sounds good. Wonder how weird it will be playing on a 360 controller. I need to get an arcade stick either way.

Edit: Online Marvel is whack. Getting sentinel comboed into rocket punch into hsf into xfc into plasma ball makes tripping look cute by comparison. No johns, I love this damn game.

Gichan

Smash Champion
good damn games today guys.

Just wanna apologize to fuddo and dirt for any saltiness in our matches, MvC3 makes me raaaagggee and puts me in a bad mood. I hope it doesn't discourage you guys from coming out any other week.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
good damn games today guys.

Just wanna apologize to fuddo and dirt for any saltiness in our matches, mvc3 makes me raaaagggee and puts me in a bad mood. I hope it doesn't discourage you guys from coming out any other week.

pineapple surprise!

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
SAUR IVY SAUR!

In all seriousness though I also need to practice. My GaW.

Maybe I'll try convincing my parents to have a smashfest at my place. Keyword try. It'll be like convincing Melee people that Icicle Mountain is a perfectly fine stage that should be added to the starter list as soon as possible.

Ambrose

Smash Journeyman
Gi is having a smashfest at his place tomorrow. He told me to post for him since he is at work. Just a heads up if you can make it.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Alright so Ok guys I just got back home. Already there's some good interest. Tin and Ambrose coming means legit practice for those who show up.

I just want to make a statement to PLEASE bring money for pizza. I love you guys but I can't pitch in $15 to $20 EACH time lol. And this time I'm mad broke so if someone can spot me that would be great, if not I'll still order it but not with my credit card anymore and if no one wants to stop me I guess I won't eat pizza lol, that's cool though.

I got four tvs, I'll bring the other big crt out, even though that thing's a ***** to move.

1 tv for marvel
2-3 for brawl, the third one depending if people want project melee up.

See you guys tomorrow

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
WHOA WHEN'D THIS HAPPEN

Good thing I checked right now.

Unfortunately I'm stuck, out of bus fare. I'm quite literally completely broke right now. I'll try to come. At least one of my parents should be home shortly.

Also Joe, I have a black one I save for tournaments, I can use that one and let you use my purple one if your controller is that bad.

*EDIT* Busfare acquired, I'll be there.

*EDIT EDIT* Leaving now.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Man...I really can't believe how bad I am at this game. I learned a great deal today, and all of them are negative. I just don't think I'll ever improve in brawl, I really sincerely feel that.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
You got better than Nickcam. I think you're best Wario in Ontario now. Don't use the Bike as an approach vs Olimar cause I can grab U off it and I can Usmash OoS as soon as I see the impact on the hit box. Space ur arials so u don't land beside Olimar so I can't Usmash OoS u, and u'll have time to jump after the Nair since it auto cancels, meaning I can't shield grab you. I suggest u don't Ftilt Olimar ever, I right now can't see a practical use for it really, if anything its an edgeguard mixup when i'm trying to come back on the stage but then I'd plank you and u'd eat damage. You have some good grab mindgames that worked on me. Plan ur wafts better, might as well use them before you get the fully charged waft. The haft has more knockback right, more effective, the waft is like for recovery lol which u won't need vs Olimar since he can't gimp you (cause he won't challenge u off stage). And watch Olimar' upB when ur trying to land lol.

As for Diddy, I know the Bite is fairly effective, I'm not sure exactly which moves Diddy has that beats the bite but i'm pretty sure you'll bite Diddy out of the Fsmash and Dsmash. Wario has a glide toss, use it lol, u can prolly get some glide toss to waft/Fsmash/grab's going on.

Vs MK, you really need to pull out the bike. What I like to do as wario is jump, then double jump (like going off stage) then pull out the bike going towards the stage and tilt is back then jump so I get the height to avoid the shuttle loop and MK in general while the bike lands on stage. Wario has a guaranteed dacus on MK after you grab MK (since Wario grabs upwards and MK's feet are off the stage). I still noticed you never did the rising full hop Dair. Look up videos of Gluttony. Gluttony vs Kaos will be really rewarding to watch.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Gichan you are one **** *** wario, don't worry, your plateau will end soon :3

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
**** METAKNIGHT

I CAN'T GET IN

But seriously, cMeDu, you've gotten scarily good.

If you're free some time this week, perhaps I could bring my Wii with me and we could play? I need to learn the MK MU for reasons obvious.

Then again, I might just go screw it and pick a character specifically to deal with MK. Thinking either Pikachu or Olimar...

Tin Man

Smash Hero
  • Falco, Diddy, and Pikachu are the only characters that go even with Mk without being MK.
  • Good luck playing at cMeDu's place
  • Who are u using currently vs MK? G&W?
  • What happened to 1 character for 3 straight tourneys.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Work on your DI.
That's number 1.
Yeah like tin said, doesn't matter if I improve, if I can't do it in tourney.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
I have to play to improve, I have trash reflexes which I need to work on.
Pick a main. Pokemontrainer is gonna get you NOWHERE.
Pick a VIABLE character -.-
GnW simply doesn't cut it.
Unless you're tojoe LOL, but I wanna try playin it.

Nah, play someone like falco, I can teach you enough of him

Patches

Smash Master
Pick a main. Pokemontrainer is gonna get you NOWHERE.
Pick a VIABLE character -.-
GnW simply doesn't cut it.
Unless you're tojoe LOL, but I wanna try playin it.

Nah, play someone like falco, I can teach you enough of him
THIS THIS THIS THIS THISTHISTHIS.
Hence why I'm trying not to play GaW at all anymore.
Snake and Dedede all da way

Tin Man

Smash Hero
all high tiers are viab;e. G&W is fine. He's 11th place in terms of matchups alone (http://m2eila.fr/Slhoka/Brawl_Matchup_Chart/brawlmatchupsratings_average.pdf).

-2 matchups can be a pain to deal with but you see DEHF beating like Atomsk's ICs so its very possible none the less. G&W is also good in teams provided you have the right partner. Lucario and ZSS can fill up the bucket really fast and they offer the most powerful bucket G&W can get. 0-death regardless of character/DI.

Gichan

Smash Champion
man, G&W is a decent character. He's got the tools to ****. Dirt, stick to your G&W like you set out to at first, you put so much good work in to him and I saw progress each week. I know you must be tired of hearing and seeing, and reading these kinds of comments all the time, like who are we to tell you who to go right? But fuddo and I have seen your improvement, to throw him away now is kinda balls for not just yourself but for those who have tried to help you.

Work on PT on the side, which is what I hope you've been doing. But like, when york region and ambrose were present, those are the times to play your main(s) to ensure great practice.

Oh yeah...your DI, but you know already just keep it up lol.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Blah blah blah blah PT unviable blah blah blah blah blah.

w/e, idc. Would I rather be bored playing one of these top or high tiers, or would I rather play a mid-tier whose worst MUs are in the 65:35 range (Marth, MK, and D3, if you're wondering), every other MU being 60:40 or better, and Squirtle pretty much going even with some high tiers, such as Falco.

Also I'm totally working on my DI. Subspace Emissary, Brawl Minus turned on, Intense difficulty. If I die at 0%, I didn't DI properly. With the exception of Tabuu. That sonofa***** kills you at 0% in regular Brawl, never mind Brawl Minus.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Blah blah blah blah PT unviable blah blah blah blah blah.

w/e, idc. Would I rather be bored playing one of these top or high tiers, or would I rather play a mid-tier whose worst MUs are in the 65:35 range (Marth, MK, and D3, if you're wondering), every other MU being 60:40 or better, and Squirtle pretty much going even with some high tiers, such as Falco.

Also I'm totally working on my DI. Subspace Emissary, Brawl Minus turned on, Intense difficulty. If I die at 0%, I didn't DI properly. With the exception of Tabuu. That sonofa***** kills you at 0% in regular Brawl, never mind Brawl Minus.
Practising in matches is better imo. Part of DI is knowing where to DI for each move.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah also, there's no point di ing if you can avoid all his attacks, which is the purpose of fighting tabuu.
Play against real people, go on wifi etc etc.
The only way to improve your di is mid match. It's a learned ability.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
All the top players minus m2k use it to train. As tin said, it's really good for matchup exp

Patches

Smash Master
Okay. Look, GaW is a confusing character to talk about. There are point where he can be completely ***** in singles, but (in my opinion), he's the second best doubles character, behind MK.

His smashes are strong, but are damn slow. He doesn't have many approaches. Bair, dtilt, rising nair, and even a fair sometimes. It just doesn't really cut it. However, once you get a character in the air, he can be in trouble. Take a look at this basic combo that I do. utilt -> utilt -> nair -> nair. You can even follow up with it, depending on the character and DI. But with no DI or anything, that's an easy 50ish damage. After that you have to play extremely smart if you want to close the gap on the character you're playing against. Sometimes it's near impossible to get in some characters faces and punch them in the eye with your firestick. However, if you're playing against one of those unlucky characters who get hit with your Dsmash after a dthrow, without teching it, (example MK) sometimes your best option is try to get them with a dash grab/pivot grab, and do that, and hope to god they don't tech it.

In doubles though, GaW SHINES. Team with a lucario or someone, and you'll be set. You can bucket pretty well every one of Lucario's moves, and then unleash havoc. Not to mention that GaW is amazing at saving people with uair and UpB. Those windframes are sexy. I would happily go pure GaW in doubles, if I could see my GaW improving anymore, but it just doesn't seem like he's getting anywhere. Even if I am on Wifi a lot more now, it just doesn't work. My GaW is stuck at a point where he won't get better.

Dirt. GaW is a VERY good character if you know what you're doing. You have to be a damn good reader, and you have to know what to do, when the opportunity arises. You have to know when to approach, and you have to know when to back off. You also have to know that bucket braking all the time, won't get you anywhere. That's one thing I'm trying to work on as well. DIing is very important to every character. Even a character who can stop his momentum completely. Try incorporating DI WITH bucket braking. For example, DI up and away from the side you're flying from, uair, bucket. It sometimes works a lot better than just mashing on A, in hopes of getting a nair out before you die so you can bucket.

I wanna see your GaW do good, I want to see you place well with him. Don't give up on GaW. You'll be amazing with him in no time. Just keep your chin up, get videos of your GaW. (Send replays to me, I'll record them for you. ), and put them on the boards, get people to criticize and give you advice. Soon, you'll be placing top 3. You got dis.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Dirt, play GnW. I shoulda played your GnW with wolf to see if you've improved since tourney ><. At least in that mu....
Anyways, good luck with yall trainings.
Is Gi having another one of these ?

Gichan

Smash Champion
^

I dont know how you haven't noticed, I've had these every week up to now so far lol. but only two people have shown up every week for brawl. Jack and Alex come for MvC3.

But looft is a new addition, awesome! He'll **** to if he plays more, I know it.

Top Bottom