• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*~Smashfest on the 15th!~*20+ SMASHERS!

BBQ°

Smash Champion
But there are people that live near Waba. They could host the smashfest at their house and they could provide housing. The plan is to host it until 3 am, right? Some smashers have to drive a far distance and you can't expect them to drive safely at that time of night after playing video games for 10 hours. It would be much simpler if someone had the smashfest at their house, let people stay for the night, and then head back to Waba the next day for the monthly. And also, having it at someone's house is free, but that's already been stated.

But meh, I don't have an opinion here. I'm not going :p

GA Peach

Smash Lord
But there are people that live near Waba. They could host the smashfest at their house and they could provide housing. The plan is to host it until 3 am, right? Some smashers have to drive a far distance and you can't expect them to drive safely at that time of night after playing video games for 10 hours. It would be much simpler if someone had the smashfest at their house, let people stay for the night, and then head back to Waba the next day for the monthly. And also, having it at someone's house is free, but that's already been stated.

whoa, when'd you get genius-like on me, son? ;)

Purple

Hi guys!

1) if anyone wanted a smashfest at their house, they would make a topic for it / recommend it in a related topic. Smashfests will come and go eventually. But the time gap there is between these smashfests is way to large, we should have at least one smash get together a week, especially in the summer, if we're really expecting to improve. Granted people have wifi and can practice by themselves, but some people can't. Practicing during tourneys will have you improve, but only practicing once a month (via tourneys) gives pretty small time periods to learn from mistakes. Especially without a system. Like i stated before, i don't mind hyping up smashfests and contacting people about rides to someone's house. But these smashfests are inconsistent. I know for a fact waba will always be there, therefore i have no problem paying five dollars to go there once a week.

2) You noting that people live near waba only makes it that much more viable to have the smashfest at waba. I know that if i was to tell my parents " Hey me and about 20 people want to play smash tonight until 3 am, is that okay?" I will get a hell no. If i was to say "hey two of my friends don't want to drive back to (insert far away place here) because it's so late, can they spend the night and leave in the morning?" That sounds a bit more charitable and I'll probably get a yes. Not everyone's parents are willing to do smashfests at their houses and risk things getting destroyed or dirtied up.

2) You're right, i can't expect them to drive safely, but what makes them have to stay until 3 am? Biglou has left multiple times from smashfests and tourneys to get home safely. You were at Zom~B's smashfest, he did the same thing there. It's called having common sense.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
Actually, how long is the smashfest lasting, cause I might be able to actually swing by. I am going to visit my friend this coming saturday and probably stay there a few days.
!!! i just saw this. come and play some fighters with me, Nes n00b.

i guess we can play that crappy Smash game, too, if you want to... <_<

Umby

Smash Master

1) if anyone wanted a smashfest at their house, they would make a topic for it / recommend it in a related topic. Smashfests will come and go eventually. But the time gap there is between these smashfests is way to large, we should have at least one smash get together a week, especially in the summer, if we're really expecting to improve. Granted people have wifi and can practice by themselves, but some people can't. Practicing during tourneys will have you improve, but only practicing once a month (via tourneys) gives pretty small time periods to learn from mistakes. Especially without a system. Like i stated before, i don't mind hyping up smashfests and contacting people about rides to someone's house. But these smashfests are inconsistent. I know for a fact waba will always be there, therefore i have no problem paying five dollars to go there once a week.

2) You noting that people live near waba only makes it that much more viable to have the smashfest at waba. I know that if i was to tell my parents " Hey me and about 20 people want to play smash tonight until 3 am, is that okay?" I will get a hell no. If i was to say "hey two of my friends don't want to drive back to (insert far away place here) because it's so late, can they spend the night and leave in the morning?" That sounds a bit more charitable and I'll probably get a yes. Not everyone's parents are willing to do smashfests at their houses and risk things getting destroyed or dirtied up.

2) You're right, i can't expect them to drive safely, but what makes them have to stay until 3 am? Biglou has left multiple times from smashfests and tourneys to get home safely. You were at Zom~B's smashfest, he did the same thing there. It's called having common sense.

You're making the implication that you aren't getting your regular dose of Smash due to lack of a system and the fact that larger get-togethers have a time gap. The basis of YOU yourself improving shouldn't be based on that. If you know that the smashers you usually play with live near Waba, and you live near Waba, suffice to say you could invite said friends (as well as their systems) to your place to play frequently. I'm also sure that some of these friends could host you for a few hours on occasion. If that's really an additional problem, then the clear method is to save up for a Wii and Brawl if it's that important to you.

You're also basing your argument on how Waba is convenient for you in particular. I can't truly argue against the proximity and availability of certain places to an individual, but making that your sole outlet for "getting better at smash" is no good.

@ your last point: BigLou had to leave for a party that night. :p
But the meat of BBQ's comment about housing for the night, I presume, was about efficiency. This smashfest is at Waba on the day before a tournament.....at Waba. Just as locations for going out to play smash are sometimes inconvenient for you, Waba is the same for other players. I myself would have to take an hour+ to get there, pay $5, take another hour+ to go home that same night, wake up the next day and go the same distances again. And that's not assuming someone like Lounis is not going out of their way to pick me up, in which case he's clocking out even more time on the wheel. Therefore, it would have been much more effecient to have the smashfest at a place close to Waba where housing was available, so that driving wouldn't have become such an issue. I believe that's what BBQ was trying to get across.

BBQ°

Smash Champion

But the meat of BBQ's comment about housing for the night, I presume, was about efficiency. This smashfest is at Waba on the day before a tournament.....at Waba. Just as locations for going out to play smash are sometimes inconvenient for you, Waba is the same for other players. I myself would have to take an hour+ to get there, pay $5, take another hour+ to go home that same night, wake up the next day and go the same distances again. And that's not assuming someone like Lounis is not going out of their way to pick me up, in which case he's clocking out even more time on the wheel. Therefore, it would have been much more effecient to have the smashfest at a place close to Waba where housing was available, so that driving wouldn't have become such an issue. I believe that's what BBQ was trying to get across.
Yep. Thanks :)

Antic, don't get the wrong idea from us chewin you up. I think we're all grateful that you're trying to improve the GA scene and organizing events and such, but having events at Waba isn't the most optimal choice. But like I said, I have no opinion ;)

GA Peach

Smash Lord
You're making the implication that you aren't getting your regular dose of Smash due to lack of a system and the fact that larger get-togethers have a time gap. The basis of YOU yourself improving shouldn't be based on that. If you know that the smashers you usually play with live near Waba, and you live near Waba, suffice to say you could invite said friends (as well as their systems) to your place to play frequently. I'm also sure that some of these friends could host you for a few hours on occasion. If that's really an additional problem, then the clear method is to save up for a Wii and Brawl if it's that important to you.

You're also basing your argument on how Waba is convenient for you in particular. I can't truly argue against the proximity and availability of certain places to an individual, but making that your sole outlet for "getting better at smash" is no good.

@ your last point: BigLou had to leave for a party that night. :p
well, humans are naturally selfish creatures... :ohwell:

Purple

Hi guys!
Yep. Thanks :)

Antic, don't get the wrong idea from us chewin you up. I think we're all grateful that you're trying to improve the GA scene and organizing events and such, but having events at Waba isn't the most optimal choice. But like I said, I have no opinion ;)
Lol, chewing me up? I don't think you got where iw as trying to get at.

What i was getting at is that there are no other places where people get together and play smash. The place i know is GPC, and that place is so secluded, it's not even included in the smash forums or talked about. Quite frankly BBQ, until someone says "hey, my house is available on such and such day to play smash brothers constantly for free, bring your set ups". I really don't think i'm all that wrong here.

How am i being selfish? By telling people to come practice? I see people complaining about time periods and how long it takes to get to these places, the five dollar entry fees, etc. But no one's coming up with different options.

As for the whole waba practice just to come back and play waba situation. In case you all didn't know, i set up a smashfest to play smash brothers in lieu of practicing for impact clash IV. The fact that's it's practicing for a tourney in that same venue is just coincidental.

I don't see how it's me being selfish. I walk to waba for these events, that's an hour walk, and depending on if someone's nice enough to take me home or not, i walk back at 12 o clock at night. That's about the same amount of time as it is for most of you to drive there.

Umby

Smash Master
Lol, chewing me up? I don't think you got where iw as trying to get at.

What i was getting at is that there are no other places where people get together and play smash. The place i know is GPC, and that place is so secluded, it's not even included in the smash forums or talked about. Quite frankly BBQ, until someone says "hey, my house is available on such and such day to play smash brothers constantly for free, bring your set ups". I really don't think i'm all that wrong here.

How am i being selfish? By telling people to come practice? I see people complaining about time periods and how long it takes to get to these places, the five dollar entry fees, etc. But no one's coming up with different options.

As for the whole waba practice just to come back and play waba situation. In case you all didn't know, i set up a smashfest to play smash brothers in lieu of practicing for impact clash IV. The fact that's it's practicing for a tourney in that same venue is just coincidental.

I don't see how it's me being selfish. I walk to waba for these events, that's an hour walk, and depending on if someone's nice enough to take me home or not, i walk back at 12 o clock at night. That's about the same amount of time as it is for most of you to drive there.

I've said it a number of times before. If you want to practice Smash, I'm sure there's 1-2 people nearby that can have you over for a short period of time.

You are being somewhat selfish, as you are one of the few people who play Brawl and don't have a means of practicing by yourself. Most everyone else can play Wifi or offline with nearby friends. Therefore you implicate that your main reasons for gathering people at Smashfests are so that YOU can get in practice. That's not necessarily a bad thing (unless we go "HAHA YOU'RE GOING TO REDUNDANT EXTENTS TO PLAY BRAWL"), but I'm pointing out a fact.

lol @ people walking 1+ hours to play Smash Bros. Seriously, if it takes more than 20, maybe 30 mins to get somewhere just so you can play games, you probably have much better things to do with your time.

And let's just say your resolve to walk is warranted. The option to walk is both free and available so long as you're in good health. The option to drive/get a ride? Not so much.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
GOING
BRINING MY POKEMON WOTC GEN1 CARDS

SOMEONE PKAY ME PLESEASE

MLEEE also taking those money matches
also controller painting

Purple

Hi guys!
God **** Jamaal I hate reading your walls of text.

They're so big and ginormous rayku :].

I will put this up on the first page, but first five wii set ups get in free. Note first five, that will leave seven setups for brawl, four setups for melee, and i think there will be a xbox360 set up, but please don't quote me on that. enough to satisfy, i think 32 people at the same time ( five brawl setups being for singles, two for doubles, two melee for singles, two for doubles, one two player fighting game on xbox360)

-I do set up these smashfests so i can practice. Doesn't matter though, smashfests are only good if many people come. Yeah this one's at waba and it's closer to me. Doesn't mean there won't be ones that aren't close to me. You'll probably see me at those as well door fee or not.

-What's more selfish, going to a friend's house just to practice, or setting up an event with multiple people all hypothetically trying to reach the same goal.

-What i do one day out of the week doesn't depict whether i can do something better with my time or not. (even though i don't) if i worked six days out of the week and decided on friday to walk to somewhere to have a good time. My time is well spent.

Rayku

Smash Lord
The one day I get off every week is spent playing Smash Brothers. Some would say I have no life, but I know what I'm doing.

There, Jamaal. That's all you have to say. Two sentences =P

Also, I work from 5-9. I can get there at like...10. Would anyone be willing to let ZOM~B and I spend the night?

Daysoo

Smash Ace
The one day I get off every week is spent playing Smash Brothers. Some would say I have no life, but I know what I'm doing.

There, Jamaal. That's all you have to say. Two sentences =P

Also, I work from 5-9. I can get there at like...10. Would anyone be willing to let ZOM~B and I spend the night?
I might be able to house you guys.
I'll ask the parents when I get home from class.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman

lol @ people walking 1+ hours to play Smash Bros. Seriously, if it takes more than 20, maybe 30 mins to get somewhere just so you can play games, you probably have much better things to do with your time.
Getting rides is difficult for me.

Plus, the walk really isn't that bad.

Andthe only thing I have to do that could be a better use of my time is playing Tales Of Symphonia:DOTNW.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
I've been up all night.
Time for a nap.
I'll be arriving at Waba between 2 and 4.
I'll stay until about midnight.
If you're staying at my place that night, you leave when I leave.
I'm going to bed as soon as I get back, so that I'm all well rested and **** for the tournament.
See you guys later today~ <3

Purple

Hi guys!
is anyone else pumped for some smash bros today? :D.

I'll be there at around 4, since more high schoolers get there around that time.

and even though desu says he'll be there at sometime between 2 to 4. he usually gets there at 4:30 Dx

see you guys there. :D

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i'll be there at 2pm with 2 wiis

will have to leave around 7 40

will return around 1010

Top Bottom