• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Upgrade Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Chozo gives an example of how annoying a large sig in a tiny post is.

I don't know wether it's because of the upgrade, or just things my end, but viewing the main index takes a while to load.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
can you plz fiz it so someones sig automatically will show up when we use quick reply :/

I forget to hit "show sig" alot

note I just did again >_>

cF=)

Smash Lord
Chozo gives an example of how annoying a large sig in a tiny post is.
Oh come on, have you never went on other boards where signatures are not space-limited ? This can be annoying, but the small space Smashboards offers is far from being exaggerated.

I sometimes posted my signature by accident in the past, but it's easier to recognize someone's post just by looking at the bottom of his text. Nowadays, many users have colored names, custom avatars and text, stupid locations taking half the page, which can also be pretty annoying.

squaminator

Smash Ace
Oh come on, have you never went on other boards where signatures are not space-limited ? This can be annoying, but the small space Smashboards offers is far from being exaggerated.
strive from mediocrity? i'm on your side, but i'm just pointing out thats its a bad arguement. i'm on the "why not fill grey space with pics" gravy train. hop on board, kirby_king! the whether's fine!

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
on the home page, the top says

"If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support."

it says the word contact twice.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I sometimes posted my signature by accident in the past, but it's easier to recognize someone's post just by looking at the bottom of his text. Nowadays, many users have colored names, custom avatars and text, stupid locations taking half the page, which can also be pretty annoying.
It's never occured you to just look at their name?

squaminator

Smash Ace
ummmm...
thanks for the degrading comment. i'm sure he appreciates it and it really makes you look intelligent. and don't warn me, i'm only trying to keep this discussion rational.
we know names exist, but it is easier in a sea of text on the left to just look for a picture if we are skimming posts. names are omnipresent, sigs make it easier.

if i haven't met somebody, the sig tells me alot. just look at WOZ's

squaminator

Smash Ace
this is insanely off topic. please make a thread in the pool room or the debate forum.
on topic: i haven'tt noticed anything wrong with this version so far. the long load times on the index has plagued me for a while though.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
can you plz fiz it so someones sig automatically will show up when we use quick reply :/

I forget to hit "show sig" alot

note I just did again >_>
No.

In addition, your signature is ridiculously large in size (filesize). Take it from like the 750 KB it is now to about 20 KB.

cF=), yours isn't as bad, but fix yours too.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
and i have never seen neone get an infraction for haveing a message shorter than the sig.

nor have ui seen neone complain that i had a message shorter.
It happens actually. Someone I know got warned for posting a small message with their sig attatched.
*waves hand* Yup, at one point, the quick reply signature box was checked by default, and I forgot to unclick it (even though I didn't know about the post vs signature length rule). Then Osco gave me a point of bannination or whatever you call it. I can tell you, have 1 point of infraction (that's the word) in your profile, even when it's expired, really suck, cuz you know it's there and that basically, it stains your profile, it's ugly (like -rep used to look).

I think that the minor infractions should disappear after a while (like 4 weeks past expiration date).
Usually, though, a moderator will just edit your post to remove your sig.
No they don't, you LIVE in a HOUSE of LIES! *dry humps Scav*

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
SWF's Sea of Text - So much text, you won't even be able to read the member names...

Is it just me or did Smash Blue stop working on Internet Explorer? It seemed to be okay on FireFox this morning, but now it's not loading at all.

Also:

ummmm...
thanks for the degrading comment. i'm sure he appreciates it and it really makes you look intelligent. and don't warn me, i'm only trying to keep this discussion rational.
we know names exist, but it is easier in a sea of text on the left to just look for a picture if we are skimming posts. names are omnipresent, sigs make it easier.
I cannot believe how many people are complaining about this! Looks like Mic beat me to the "degrading comment" but really, what could be more "rational" than looking at someone's name to find out who they are. Names are omnipresent? Sigs make it easier? "I hate pressing the show your signature button every time I reply"? The small space SmashBoards offers is far from exaggerated? Jesus, I wish it were one line, 70 pixels high and you weren't even allowed to use your signature unless you have more than 1,000 characters in your message.

Stunning.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is it just me or did Smash Blue stop working on Internet Explorer? It seemed to be okay on FireFox this morning, but now it's not loading at all.
Word. I get 404'd a LOT. Then I try with FF and it's all cake and little girls.

Oh also, has anyone encountered a pop up on smashboards? It's like "YOU HAVE PRON ON COMP, CLEAN UP NOW?!". Then you click no, and it auto loads to another page with a program to download and ****. Btw, I have all protections and yadi-yadi yada on my comp, and this only occurred on swf (3 times up to now).

EDIT: About that signature thingy... let's say I quote something longer than my sig, and I post 2 lines. Should I not post my sig?

cF=)

Smash Lord
Viewtiful John changed his name recently, and I could only recognize his posts by his signature. Even if this technique is not fail-proof (read: changing sig), it's still useful.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I went 4 times to the Broom just now, and instead of an "online smash logo" (next to the report button), I got a grimer. So I got 2 grimers now. Someone wants to trade for a geodude?

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
It's always been like that, chesterr.

Just to verify, sometimes it isn't easier to know who posted by their sig, mainly because some people have the same banners in that sig. It's usually because they're in the same crew and whatnot. I know I've seen some people who have gotten confused and called a person someone else because they had the same signatures.

Go by the name, folks. Signatures can be misleading sometimes.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Hum... signatures do not help you find important posts. That's a silly argument. Names, avatars, yes.
Instead of using lame logic, just say "I like signatures."

I have had signatures turned off entirely for a while now. It is so nice not to have to look at all that crap.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
At least read what I said about premium members changing their names before going with your opinion.
Yes, because we have sooo many users changing their names all the time. Just now we had Viewtiful Jon, before that was....uh.....

cF=)

Smash Lord
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND !!11!!1!!/

Whatever, this is not even a debate, nor some kind of discussion except bashing on whoever tries to give their entitled opinion. So I'll just have to enter the advanced option of this board everytime I want to post my signature.

There you go, no more hate. <3

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
ok well i dont know where to put this but with the new updates i figured id make a suggestion. i ahd actailly sent this in thorugh the contact metla box button but i ahd no reply...

*frowns*

but ya know how smash writers have orange n smash directoras have blue n smash broomers have green? how about smash artists? i mean we do a whole lot for the comunity. we amke flyers , tourney banners, and 100's of member sigs.

i think those who dedicate time and effort to help the visual side of smash deserve some sort of way to stand out. like *crosses fingers* a white colored font name?????
i couldnt think of any other color besides yellow *which suxs, so go with white*

thxs for reading!

Skywalker

Space Jump
I get this message in Firefox saying, "The connection to this server has been reset" a lot. I have to click "Try again" for SWF to actually load.

It's happened much more often since the forum upgrade.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
one thing -- is rep just still being fixed, or is it just broken, or has it been completely removed?

also, i prefer "show your sig" box unchecks, some sigs get anoying, especially when that person posts every other post. however, i do like to use a sig to locate some people's posts, but there avatars work ok for me, so it isnt such big deal.

*doesn't check the sig box*

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
annoying1359 said:
one thing -- is rep just still being fixed, or is it just broken, or has it been completely removed?
The system was removed entirely because it was abused. For one, it didn't met its original purpose of identifying good posters as friends and random reppers could easilly alter the amount. Then there would be several questions and complaints for an otherwise pointless system. As a result, the rep system was removed.

They are thinking about whether or not they should bring it back but it is unlikely. However, if it does return, the system will work differently.

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this is an actual bug or not, but everything around me is all pokemon themed. It scares me, and there's no skin changer to be found. What is happening to my beloved Smashboards?!?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Y'all have no idea how thankful I am that FireFox doesn't support background music.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Any update on an RPG for this site? We haven't heard anything about it in a while now... If its not coming back can you just tell us Gid or whoever?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Observations by Randall

The system was removed entirely because it was abused. For one, it didn't met its original purpose of identifying good posters as friends and random reppers could easilly alter the amount. Then there would be several questions and complaints for an otherwise pointless system. As a result, the rep system was removed.

They are thinking about whether or not they should bring it back but it is unlikely. However, if it does return, the system will work differently.
The rep system reduced spam by allowing people to comment privately in an easy and intuitive manner without flooding the thread with posts flaming other users. SmashBoards is now an even more hostile environment since its removal. Conversely, good posts were given credit where credit is due and those who tag their comments with a name are recognized by the poster as being people he/she can identify with. Thus, future encounters with said individual will begin on a positive note instead of the generally negative one brought on by the aforementioned hostile environment.

I don't understand why a bunch of lame people who abuse the system (and equally lame people who complain about it as though it's actually a big deal) qualify as grounds for its removal. That's like bowing down to junk mail and reading it all instead of just deleting it.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not convinced of any of the above, but if you have any tangible evidence to support the notion that things have become more hostile since the removal of rep (something inherently difficult to moderate and used often to flame people), make your case in Forum Disputes.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
Some peoples sigs dont wanna work anymore. mines is one of them.

edit: weird....now its working..unless Mcfox did something when I pm'd him haha.

edit2: really weird, my sig is only showing up in this thread. I just posted somewhere else and my sig didnt show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom