• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Is there a way to resize images using the [ img] code the URL is placed in? I know some sites let you do something like [ img=150x50], but that doesn't seem to work here in my experience.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Is there a way to resize images using the [ img] code the URL is placed in? I know some sites let you do something like [ img=150x50], but that doesn't seem to work here in my experience.
The only way I know is to put the image in [ spoiler] or [ collapse] tags.

Last edited:

Dos_Equis

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to use the spoiler tag and it's giving me four freaking boxes for one set of [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]
>_< help pls D:

http:// smashboards.com/threads/aug-8-2014-man-on-a-ledge-weekly-pittsburgh-pennsylvania.363375/#post-17225934

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Lol that actually happens to me as well from time to time and I'm not sure why. I usually just end up going back into edit and remove the spoiler tags and re-add them until it gives me just one spoiler box. Unless there is some magical solution that I also am curious about.

ndayday

BRoomer
I'm trying to use the spoiler tag and it's giving me four freaking boxes for one set of [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]
>_< help pls D:

http:// smashboards.com/threads/aug-8-2014-man-on-a-ledge-weekly-pittsburgh-pennsylvania.363375/#post-17225934
Lol that actually happens to me as well from time to time and I'm not sure why. I usually just end up going back into edit and remove the spoiler tags and re-add them until it gives me just one spoiler box. Unless there is some magical solution that I also am curious about.
Hahaha no spoilers for now then. I'll try again when I'm not mad at it anymore xD
It is a problem with the mess of BBcode in the post. Basically if you have the [ spoiler] tags surrounded by bold tags etc. it causes them to freak out.

The best way to deal with this is to go into the bbcode editor (top right of toolbar) and make it so bold tags are around only the text you want bolded and that spoiler tags are not caught in the mix. Example:

HOW NOT TO HAVE IT:

[ b]The Post To End Them All

[ spoiler]contents[ /spoiler]

The Post to End Them All Section 2

[ spoiler]contents [ /spoiler] [ /b]

HOW TO HAVE IT:

[ b]The Post To End Them All [ /b]

[ spoiler]contents[ /spoiler]

[ b]The Post to End Them All Section 2 [ /b]

[ spoiler]contents [ /spoiler]

Hope this helps!

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
Hey I had a question about Gamecube controller modification, I am considering replacing my C stick with a PS4 analog because I was thinking it would be bigger and easier to flick. I was wondering if anyone here has done something like that and if they had some insight on why it may or may not be a good idea. The reason I ask is because I don't think iv'e ever seen a modified C stick in professional play. On a similar note I am also going to replace my Movement Stick with a PS4 analog, that's not against the rules of competitive play is it?

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
How do you delete social groups?
When I push "Delete Group" it says the group isn't empty. I've tried deleting the threads, and it still doesn't work.

ndayday

BRoomer
Hey I had a question about Gamecube controller modification, I am considering replacing my C stick with a PS4 analog because I was thinking it would be bigger and easier to flick. I was wondering if anyone here has done something like that and if they had some insight on why it may or may not be a good idea. The reason I ask is because I don't think iv'e ever seen a modified C stick in professional play. On a similar note I am also going to replace my Movement Stick with a PS4 analog, that's not against the rules of competitive play is it?
I believe controller mods are allowed so long as it's not a turbo function or a macro (shortcut, crap like X executes a wavedash). I know taking the springs out of the triggers is common as is taking out the rumble, but the former is allowed iirc because you can achieve the same thing by plugging in the controller while holding down L/R.

look in Melee Discussion, there may be a thread about it. I personally don't think it would be disallowed but what do I know.
How do you delete social groups?
When I push "Delete Group" it says the group isn't empty. I've tried deleting the threads, and it still doesn't work.
I believe it has to be done by an admin since you're only allowed like...3 groups or something and we don't want to encourage a ton of random groups. PM Warchamp7 or Xiivi imo.
How can I turn something into superscript in my signature? I would like the Goomys to be visible :p
Not sure what you're asking? Superscript?

Last edited:

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
I believe controller mods are allowed so long as it's not a turbo function or a macro (shortcut, crap like X executes a wavedash). I know taking the springs out of the triggers is common as is taking out the rumble, but the former is allowed iirc because you can achieve the same thing by plugging in the controller while holding down L/R.

Thank you for your help :)

ndayday

BRoomer
Superscript is the opposite of subscript. It's when a letter is fixed to the top, like when you put something to the nth power.
I see. I'm not sure you can do that with images like you had it before. You could always add a bit of buffer below the Goomy by modifying the image and just making that space transparent and the Goomy would be higher up. You'd have to play with it though.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
I see. I'm not sure you can do that with images like you had it before. You could always add a bit of buffer below the Goomy by modifying the image and just making that space transparent and the Goomy would be higher up. You'd have to play with it though.
Yeah I've tried things like that in the past, but my computer is always screwy with editing any image and soon it's broken :/ Eh I'll try though, thanks :)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
What's going on with my profile? I can't comment on any posts (from friends or my own statuses) on my own profile. The "Comment" button that I would normally click on to do so isn't even there, just "Like" "Delete" and "Report". It seems I can still post statuses though, as well as edit past statuses.

I've brought it up to a few of my friends here but they don't seem to be having the same problem.

Last edited:

ndayday

BRoomer
What's going on with my profile? I can't comment on any posts (from friends or my own statuses) on my own profile. The "Comment" button that I would normally click on to do so isn't even there, just "Like" "Delete" and "Report". It seems I can still post statuses though, as well as edit past statuses.

I've brought it up to a few of my friends here but they don't seem to be having the same problem.
http://smashboards.com/account/privacy

Is "Post messages on your profile page" unchecked? if so check it and set it to members/friends.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
http://smashboards.com/account/privacy

Is "Post messages on your profile page" unchecked? if so check it and set it to members/friends.
It was checked. I guess it was just a glitch of some kind. It's not a problem for me anymore though, all I needed to do was uncheck, save the settings then recheck and save again.

EDIT: Actually, no that wasn't exactly it taking a second look at it. Whenever it's set to "Friends Only" I can't make comments on my own page, but it will let me comment otherwise.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I read that there is a trophy to be earned for having a main listed for a game that isn't out yet, and I have had a main listed for SSB4 for a month or two now and have not yet been awarded the trophy. I know the entire trophy system is pretty trivial and unimportant, but I personally am interested in earning as many of the trophies as I can, and since release for SSB4 is quickly approaching, I want to make sure that I receive this particular trophy while I still can! How might I ensure that I am awarded it? Or is there some reason why I'm not getting it?

ndayday

BRoomer
I read that there is a trophy to be earned for having a main listed for a game that isn't out yet, and I have had a main listed for SSB4 for a month or two now and have not yet been awarded the trophy. I know the entire trophy system is pretty trivial and unimportant, but I personally am interested in earning as many of the trophies as I can, and since release for SSB4 is quickly approaching, I want to make sure that I receive this particular trophy while I still can! How might I ensure that I am awarded it? Or is there some reason why I'm not getting it?
@ Warchamp7 Warchamp7
can probably answer this (maybe).

Dos_Equis

Smash Cadet
It is a problem with the mess of BBcode in the post. Basically if you have the [ spoiler] tags surrounded by bold tags etc. it causes them to freak out.

The best way to deal with this is to go into the bbcode editor (top right of toolbar) and make it so bold tags are around only the text you want bolded and that spoiler tags are not caught in the mix. Example:..........
Hope this helps!
That was the issue! Thanks!

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
Hey I just stopped using my Wii U to play Project M because I had to use a weird third-party adapter to use my Gamecube controller and it gave me a little bit of lag. So now i'm using a regular Wii with the GC controller plugged right into the system and i'm getting insane input lag of like a full second, any ideas why?

ndayday

BRoomer
Hey I just stopped using my Wii U to play Project M because I had to use a weird third-party adapter to use my Gamecube controller and it gave me a little bit of lag. So now i'm using a regular Wii with the GC controller plugged right into the system and i'm getting insane input lag of like a full second, any ideas why?
This is more an area for site related questions but my first guess would be your TV. what kind is it?

Last edited:

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
This is more an area for site related questions but my first guess would be your TV. what kind is it?
a brand new plasma, I know that an old CRT is best for this kind of thing but I had very little lag when using my Wii U on the same TV.

ndayday

BRoomer
a brand new plasma, I know that an old CRT is best for this kind of thing but I had very little lag when using my Wii U on the same TV.
Hm it is odd that Wii U would be less laggy since you would assume they're outputting the same (480p). Check your cables and TV settings, newer TVs usually have a ton of features that introduce display lag like "motion enhancement" etc. if you can look up your particular TV's settings on the internet to see what you need to turn off to get less lag...sometimes there is a Gaming mode, etc.

other than that there's really nothing you can do to get it completely lag free. you'll definitely cut down the lag from 1 second but it will still be noticeable.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
Hm it is odd that Wii U would be less laggy since you would assume they're outputting the same (480p). Check your cables and TV settings, newer TVs usually have a ton of features that introduce display lag like "motion enhancement" etc. if you can look up your particular TV's settings on the internet to see what you need to turn off to get less lag...sometimes there is a Gaming mode, etc.

other than that there's really nothing you can do to get it completely lag free. you'll definitely cut down the lag from 1 second but it will still be noticeable.
Ok I'll be sure to check that out, Thanks for all your help as always

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
This may sound odd, but this site is awesome and I would like to help contribute in to maintaining/improving the site, so far I am buying premium, however is there anything I can do to help?

Gatlin

This may sound odd, but this site is awesome and I would like to help contribute in to maintaining/improving the site, so far I am buying premium, however is there anything I can do to help?
You and everyone else (which this applies to) already help out to an outstanding degree by being a good/friendly poster on the forums in general. By following the extremely-easy to follow and basic rules, it makes for a nicer environment overall and makes it easier for threads across the forum to develop successfully. Bad posters can quickly change the tune of a thread and cause it to become a car crash which doesn't help or contribute in any way; and can, at times, hurt people's feelings or cause unnecessary drama and predicament. So, just continue posting well and you'll be an A+ contributor, imo.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
You and everyone else (which this applies to) already help out to an outstanding degree by being a good/friendly poster on the forums in general. By following the extremely-easy to follow and basic rules, it makes for a nicer environment overall and makes it easier for threads across the forum to develop successfully. Bad posters can quickly change the tune of a thread and cause it to become a car crash which doesn't help or contribute in any way; and can, at times, hurt people's feelings or cause unnecessary drama and predicament. So, just continue posting well and you'll be an A+ contributor, imo.
Well thanks!

Kip Smithers

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hiiiiiiiiii

i love all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

ndayday

BRoomer
Have two questions:
1. How do use 'spoilers'?
2. How do you upload a file/attachment?
use spoiler tags and put what you want to spoil in between them: [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] without spaces. [ collapse] [ /collapse] works too.

Next to Post Reply is Upload a File.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
use spoiler tags and put what you want to spoil in between them: [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] without spaces. [ collapse] [ /collapse] works too.

Next to Post Reply is Upload a File.
Um, for some reason I can only upload files here and in the news section.

ndayday

BRoomer
Um, for some reason I can only upload files here and in the news section.
Oh? I summon @ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 once again.
What are the different titles you can get by posting?
I believe this is the list. I will add it to the FAQ since it is a common question, too so thanks.
  • Smash Rookie (0-24 posts)
  • Smash Cadet (25-74 posts)
  • Smash Apprentice (75-199 posts)
  • Smash Journeyman (200-499 posts)
  • Smash Ace (500-999 posts)
  • Smash Lord (1000-1999 posts)
  • Smash Champion (2000-2999 posts)
  • Smash Master (3000-4999 posts)
  • Smash Hero (5000-9999 posts)
  • Smash Legend (10000-19999 posts)
  • Smash Obsessed (20000+ posts)

I have a Question. What are points?
They're just a fun thing to mark things you've done on the forums. They're not used for anything really.

ShutUpNavi

Smash Rookie
Hello. I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this. As a complete newcomer to smashboards I have a few questions.

1). Is my username appropriate enough to use on the forums? I know the rules say no explicit usernames, but I think a username that says "Shut Up" to a fictional character is mild enough for anyone old enough to be on smashboards. I'm only useing it because I use this name on other (mostly Zelda based) video game forums. Let me know if that isn't allowed.

2). Do I need to know about some of the more advanced/ hardcore/ tournament playstyles in order to be able to use the forums properly? I know how the basic "casual" gameplay works, but I still don't know much about things such as wavedashing, L-Canceling, or other advanced techniques like that. Do I need to learn about stuff like that before posting?

Thank you to anyone who can answer this.

Last edited:

Gatlin

1. Yes. By no explicit usernames, we are aiming more towards the names which have curse words via censor dodging, racist/sexist/etc terms, or generally inappropriate sexual content. Your name is fine, and I agree with it.

2. Lol no not at all haha. When I first joined the forum I had absolutely no idea about anything and was a complete casual scrub. Guaranteed you probably know more about Smash than I did when I first joined. Besides, we have plenty of other non-smash related boards across the forums.

Top Bottom