• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Video Game Brawl of Fame! A platform fighter with no Nintendo! (INDIEPALOOZA))

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #08: Item Submission
Fruits: N (my submission)
Item Monitor: Y
Power Glove: N
Plumbob: Y
Energy Sword: N

Job #09: Moveset Submission
I guess if you need a Lara moveset, I could suggest one!

Unlike Sonic or PAC-MAN, Lara Croft's games tend to reward a more methodical and defensive method of play, which I'd want to reflect in her moveset. That said, she isn't by any means particularly slow - maintaining decent agility in spite of many of her attacks being better suited to slower and more thought-through use. She also has the ability to wall-cling, which uses her climbing picks, and allows her by proxy to wall jump. She also features slightly lower health than average, for balancing reasons.

That being said, I'd like to note that Lara's based on her classic appearance here, given I think it's generally her more well-known look overall and it helps to keep her moveset feeling pretty focused. Whilst the bow is a pretty cool visual, I didn't think it'd fit with the vision I had in mind for her moveset (I considered having it in place of the Grenade Launcher, but felt that Lara was missing an outright "damage tool" beyond purely poking, pressure, and stage control.)

Overall, she's a methodical character with a focus on keeping some distance from an opponent, though she struggles to handle close-up pressure and works best when evading and counter-attacking opponents or setting up situations that are advantageous for her. You can't just go in all guns blazing with her - you need to be smart, and think on your feet.

Attack NameButton InputDescriptionImage
Dual Pistols
Tap B​
Lara draws her iconic dual pistols and begins to shoot in front of her. If an opponent is within a certain range of her when she uses this attack, she'll auto-aim the attack at them. Whilst the attack isn't very powerful and doesn't make an opponent flinch, you can spam it by repeatedly tapping B. These attacks also work whilst airborne.
Dual Uzis
Hold B​
A variation on the previous attack, this has Lara fire a burst of machine gun fire when using the move above. The bursts are a little less precise, spreading outward slightly with distance, and have a little more endlag whilst dealing a little less damage.
Downward Dual Pistols
↓ + tap B whilst airborne​
Effectively a variant of Dual Pistols, Lara simply spins in the air so she's pointing downward, and then fires them directly below her. They lose the lock-on property, but work well as a form of direct downward coverage.
Downward Dual Uzis
↓ + hold B whilst airborne​
Another variant, this one of Dual Uzis, which works effectively the same again - no lock-on, firing directly downward when used whilst retaining rapid-fire but with more spread and less accuracy.
Grenade Launcher
→ + hold B​
Lara pulls out the Grenade Launcher, which will begin to charge up depending on how long you hold the attack. When you release it, it'll lob a grenade in a shallow arc, exploding on contact with an opponent. The speed of the grenade increases with charge, but the damage of the explosion remains the same regardless.
Grapple
↑ + B​
Lara pulls out a Grapple, firing it upward. You can actually influence the direction it fires in slightly by holding slightly forward or backward on the control stick when using it. The grapple wire itself can stick to ledges, but also to ceilings or walls - holding up will have Lara be pulled to where it's connected to. She can then remain there for a couple of seconds before automatically dropping down. If the grapple wire hits an opponent, then they'll be dragged down to Lara's level, where she'll automatically kick them away.
Spike Trap
↓ + B whilst grounded​
Lara crouches down to the ground and sets up a spike trap, with the spikes receding into the ground where they were placed. If anyone walks over that location - including Lara herself - the spikes will suddenly protrude and stab the person hit by them, dealing decent damage and keeping them in place for long enough for you to get some damage in. The spikes also protrude automatically after a few seconds, or if an attack hits them. Only one of these can be placed at once.
Acrobatic Evasion
← + ←​
Acting as a unique evasive tool for Lara, rapidly double-tapping backward as if to dash has her perform a backflip, which has some intangibility frames. If you delay the second tap, or if you hold backward after using it, she'll just turn around and then dash in that direction - so it shouldn't get in the way too much.
Acrobatic Counterattack
B during Acrobatic Evasion​
During the backflip, it's also possible to tap B to have Lara shoot at where she started from as a quick means of building up some damage on an opponent. It also works as a defensive tool if you're using Acrobatic Evasion for spacing reasons.

Job #10: Mode Submission
Sound Test! Basically, a mode where you can listen to the game's music or voicelines, which may potentially be organised by series/stage/character depending on how we do it. Nothing particularly special in terms of actual gameplay or outright uniqueness, but it'd be nice to have this here nonetheless.

Job #11: Tomb Raider Stage
Stage Name: Peruvian Caves
Stage Origin: Tomb Raider (1996)

Being that this stage is literally the first in the entire series, it makes sense that it'd work well here. You'd fight on both the ground below and the snow-covered bridge, all below the upper opening, with the deep chasms being visible beyond that point and featuring wolves and bears which thankfully don't interrupt gameplay. Whilst this isn't a stage with horizontal blast zones, or even ones below you, it can be possible to send opponents out of bounds if you launch them directly upward high enough. That said, you'll typically be relying on whittling down an opponent's HP as opposed to knocking them off the stage here.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I'll be skipping submitting something for the Tomb Raider stage; as I'm not too familiar with the series myself.

I will be pitching a Jill Valentine moveset:

Handgun (Tap B) - Jill shoots a handgun forwards, dealing chip damage.
RAI-DEN (Hold B) - Hold to charge a single firing of this experimental weapon. Stuns whoever it hits with an electrical shock.
Crouching Handgun (Down B) - Same as Handgun, but lower, can cause the opponent to trip.
Crouching RAI-DEN (Hold Down B) - Same as RAI-DEN, but lower.

Zombie (Back B) - Spawns a Zombie right behind Jill, she manages to dodge in time as the Zombie marches forwards. The Zombie will despawn after a little bit, or after grabbing onto and and biting an opponent for some damage. Attacking the Zombie will also kill it in a few weak hits.
Zombie Knockout (Use Handgun or Crouching Handgun on Zombie from behind) - The Zombie falls forwards with a short lunge, slamming into the ground and despawning after. While falling, the Zombie is a hurtbox.

Hot Dagger (Forward B) - Swings a Hot Dagger forwards in a slashing motion, dealing damage and giving the opponent a burn effect.
Flaming Zombie (use Hot Dagger on Zombie) - The Zombie is set on fire, running forwards in a panic. If it hits an opponent it'll deal heavy damage before turning to ash.

Shotgun (Aerial B, any direction) - Fires a shotgun blast whilst airborne, deals good damage and recoils Jill back in the opposite direction fired at to potentially be used as a bizarre recovery tactic.

Zombie Fling (Flick control stick any direction after being grabbed by a Zombie) - While Jill dodges the Zombie during the move that spawns it, she can actually still be grabbed by it. Luckily she has experience with knocking away zombies, so she's able to throw it off her in any direction. The Zombie becomes a hurtbox like in Zombie Knockout while flying outwards and dies upon landing. This a bizarre move with a lot of range and power.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Fruits: Y
Power Glove: Y
Plumbob: N
Energy Sword: Y

Lost_Valley.jpg

Lost Valley
A pretty iconic level from the original Tomb Raider game. Takes place inside a large jungle. There's a bridge and trees and a waterfalls. A Dinosaur will sometimes appear and attempt to eat the fighters, because what's cooler than a dinosaur?

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Fruits: Y
Power Glove: Y
Plumbob: N
Energy Sword: Y

Atlantis
The final location of the original Tomb Raider, and probably the best to represent the tomb aspect of the series. Unfortunately, it isn’t very visually interesting (it’d probably be based on the Anniversary design), being just kind of dark and red. It’d also not work with the villains concept except for Natla herself. On the other hand, it could have a much more interesting layout than Croft Manor, and incorporate several of the series trademark traps, such as spiked pits, rolling boulders, swinging blades, etc.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Job #10!

Legacy Mode!

Basically All-Star mode from smash, fight every character in the game in chronological order or reverse chronological order depending on how high the difficulty is set. You'll have the same health for the whole run, and only sparse opportunities to heal.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 9: Arcade Mode

The Arcade mode is by route of each character,8 battles,2 bonus levels,1 rival battle similar from PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (who the rivalry is by connections of both of the characters) and a boss level

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Job 9: Arcade Mode

The Arcade mode is by route of each character,8 battles,2 bonus levels,1 rival battle similar from PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (who the rivalry is by connections of both of the characters) and a boss level
As I said in the original post, Arcade Mode is already locked in. We'll do an Arcade Mode job another time.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Allevents.jpg

Mission Mode
This is actually pretty close to event mode from Melee, Brawl and Smash 4, with a littlechallenge mode mixed in. Complete a certain challenge or battle that may be themed around a series or just a theme. These unlock r ewards such as whatever collectibles we end up adding and maybe even characters and stages

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty folks! Let's count those item votes!

Fruit: 5 Y, 1 N
Item Monitor: 5 Y
Power Glove: 4 Y, 3 N
Plumbob: 2 Y, 4 N
Energy Sword: 4 Y, 2 N

Fruit, Item Monitor, Power Glove, and Energy Sword have been added to the Item List! Special note goes to Item Monitor for being unanimous.
_________

As movesets have been made for every current fighter, I feel comfortable with adding them all to the official list. Job #9 is complete!

FazDude FazDude 's Pac-Man Moveset is now official.
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 's Sonic & Lara Croft Movesets are now official.
MartianSnake MartianSnake 's Jill Valentine Moveset is now official.

If there's any objections to this, make me aware.

Job #10: Submit a Mode!

Sound Test ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Legacy Mode ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )
Mission Mode ( darkvortex darkvortex )
Adventure Mode ( Perkilator Perkilator )

To make things clear, vote as you would any non-item job.

Job #11: Submit a Tomb Raider Stage!

Peruvian Caves ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Lost Valley ( darkvortex darkvortex )
Atlantis ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )

As only three stages were submitted, I've elected to have the voting for this job to take place on StrawPoll, click the link to cast your vote! (https://strawpoll.com/Q0ZpROqwGnM)

Job #12: Submit a Resident Evil stage!

Job #13: Submit a character from before 1990 for the roster!

This is a big one, pick character that debuted from the dawn of video games to the very end of the 80s, can't wait to see what some of you Submit!

_________
How are you feeling about this project so far? Is it going well? Any ways you think I can improve? Let me know!

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You can only submit one, so unless you edit this, I'm only counting Alucard. Also, it's technically not an 80s pick, you can technically submit a character from before then, even if it is slim pickings by comparison.
I went with Slime. Comes from the grand-daddy of JRPG's, after all, so it won out of Arthur and Alucard.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Job 13: Centipede (1980)

Centipede would have its design from the Pixels movie but looking more realistic in appearance:
centipede.png

Having a multi-legged creature fight would be unique!

"Every hundred years, they emerge from the dark core of the Earth to overtake our world and we always thought we destroyed them..."

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Modes
  1. Sound Test
  2. Mission Mode
  3. Legacy Mode
Resubbing the Space Invaders for my fighter.
Space Invaders

(art by kjbo8)

A horde of the main three Invaders - Not a stance change character, but rather acting as a trio. Their moveset could make use of lasers and other weaponry from the more obscure SI games.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #10:
  1. Adventure Mode. It'd honestly be interesting to see where a mode like this could go somewhere like this, plus it wouldn't need too many repetitive jobs in order to be voted for.
  2. Mission Mode. I love a good mission mode! Even if it runs the risk of making some jobs repetitive, there's plenty of potential for unique ones if we wanted to go with this.
  3. Legacy Mode. Hey, who doesn't love a good fighter rush?
Job #12:
Stage Name: Raccoon City Police Department
Stage Origin: Resident Evil 2 (1998)

A fairly simple stage taking place outside the iconic Raccoon Police Station, the stage features wrecked police vehicles that you can jump on top of, as well as cameos from various T-Virus hosts from ordinary zombies, to more unique Lickers, all the way to the legendary Mr. X. They don't actually interact with gameplay, though, just being there for decoration.

Job #13:
Character Name: Adventurer
Character Origin: Adventure (1980, VCS)

The player character in Adventure, the iconic progenitor to the modern action-adventure genre, I think the Adventurer would be an at first bizarre, but incredibly fun inclusion to actually bring to the table. Adventure's role in gaming history is undoubtedly an iconic and important one, plus there's actually more potential for a moveset than you might at first suspect given the various items present in the original game, on top of elements like Knubberub the bat who could switch your items, or even the three (distinctly duck-like) dragons - Yorgle, Grundle, and Rhindle.

Not only this, but I felt an Atari rep of some kind was almost necessary in a roster like this - shoutout to Bentley Bear, Yar, and either Tarra or Torr from SwordQuest - all of whom I considered - and Paddle & Ball, who I got ninja'd on (very based suggestion, by the way).

Side note, but I'm not sure if they have a name - I considered "Hero", but felt that "Adventurer" would better reflect their origins.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Ryu Hayabusa (1988)

Classic series that saw 2 successful trilogies in 2 different eras as well as its protagonist play a major role in the Dead or Alive series. Lots of potential being a ninja with all sort of weapons & abilities.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Let's get weird folks...

JOB #13 SUBMISSION
Moai
(Gradius, 1985. Technically debuted in Pandora's Palace, 1984.)

The Moai is a thing Konami loves to stick in whatever they can. While best known for its appearances in the Gradius series as an obstacle that fires ion rings and lasers from its mouth, the Moai has a much MUCH deeper catalog of appearances in Konami's games alone. Moai have appeared in Castlevania, Bomberman, and even YU-GI-OH. Moai have also been playable in plenty of games too: Konami Krazy Racers, Konami Wai Wai World, a starring role in Mr. Moai, and of course, one was playable in Dreammix TV World Fighters!

Moai would be a perfect pick for the roster as a character that nobody would expect but makes perfect sense in retrospect.

Ideally the moveset would take primarily from the Gradius series, with moves based on its other appearances to flesh things out and add to the weirdness of the character.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
1. Legacy Mode
2. Mission Mode
3. Sound Test

Spencerblog-1480954824797.jpg
Spencer Mansion
Players fight inside the mansion. It's sort of like a bigger Luigis Mansion from smash. It's full of rooms with hidden details and references. Every now and then a zombie may wander onto the stage and act as a hazard

Tetromino_Artwork.png

Tetromino
From one of the most famous games of all time. I think it's good to have some unconventional fighters. Would serve as a rep for puzzle games as a whole.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
1. Legacy Mode
2. Mission Mode
3. Sound Test

Job 13: Bomberman

images.png

Bomberman is the eponymous protagonist from a video game series called Bomberman,he is a robot or an alien who lives in Planet Bomber.

Bomberman is very famous character from Video Games,Bomberman appeared in Dreammix TV World Fighters,Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and other games.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
1. Mission Mode
2. Sound Test
3. Adventure Mode

Stage Submission:
The Village (Resident Evil Village)

My first and second ideas got ninja'd so here's a rep from the most recent entry! I don't have much else to add.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Alrighto! I believe we're ready! As always, let's tally the votes:

Job #10: Submit a mode!

Adventure Mode: 7 points
Sound Test: 11 points
Legacy Mode: 11 points
Mission Mode: 13 points

Mission Mode
will be added to the game! Expect jobs relating to it in the future!

Job #11: Submit a Tomb Raider Stage!

The strawpoll votes are in!

Atlantis: 0 votes
Peruvian Caves: 1 vote
Lost Valley: 2 votes

Lost Valley
will be our Tomb Raider stage! Makes sense, people love dinosaurs. Congrats to darkvortex darkvortex ! As an additional note, I do hope more people vote next time we do a strawpoll.

Job #12: Submit a Resident Evil stage!

Raccoon City Police Department ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Spencer Mansion ( darkvortex darkvortex )
The Village ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )

As only three submissions were made, we will once again vote on StrawPoll, please click the HERE! THIS IS THE LINK IN WHICH YOU VOTE!

Job #13: Submit a character from before 1990 for the roster!

Slime ( Perkilator Perkilator )
Bub ( HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64 )
Ball & Paddle (Pong) ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Centipede ( Mamboo07 Mamboo07 )
Space Invaders ( FazDude FazDude )
Adventurer ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Ryu Hayabasa ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Moai ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )
Tetromino ( darkvortex darkvortex )
Bomberman ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Mega Man ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )

Really amazed by all the entries here! There's not one character on this list I don't think would be a great addition! Thus is gonna be a hard vote...

Vote as you would any other character. The top two will be added to the roster!
________

Job #14: Submit the amount of alts every character should have, including which slots should be dedicated to recolors, and which to alternate costumes.

Job #15: Submit music tracks for Pac-Championship!

You can submit 4 at least, and 8 at most. You cannot submit smash remixes.

Bonus Job: Submit a Job idea!

This one won't be followed up with a vote or anything like that, I'm just checking if there's any ideas I haven't considered. Edit: I already have a pretty large list of character jobs planned. I'm looking for things outside of those

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
1. Space Invaders (Look, I'm just saying if your appearance is often used as a symbol representing video games itself, you deserve to be in the Brawl of Fame.)
2. Adventurer (The Atari age is often ignored in platform fighter fan rosters, which is a darn shame. If you ask me we absolutely need a character to represent this era, and Adventurer seems like a really fun pick!)
3. Centipede (This is just a "rule of cool" vote, I want to play as a big Centipede in a fighting game.)

Job 14: 7 alts, 3 of which are costumes, the rest are recolors.

I'll have to submit something for Job 15 later

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
1. Space Invaders
2. Centipede
3. Mega Man

Possible non character job ideas
  • More mode jobs
  • A job about the menus and look of the game
  • A job on if we do assist characters and what we do with them
  • A possible job about final smash style attacks
  • A job on if we have bosses

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. Space Invaders. Too iconic of a game to leave out, honestly, plus I think a Taito rep of some description is pretty much necessary. Bub would undeniably be very cool, but the Space Invaders are just too legendary to miss out on in a roster of this kind.
  2. Ball & Paddle. Such a unique and clever concept, but at the same time one that makes a lot of sense to effectively represent an entire genre of games. I think this is genuinely a really fun and out-there choice that'd be a lot of fun to conceptualise for!
  3. Slime. The Dragon Quest series is a massively important one to represent in a game like this, plus it helps a lot that it'd technically be our first "true" RPG rep. On top of that, the Slime is an iconic type of enemy that's well-known all over the world.
(Shoutout to Centipede, Moai and Tetromino! Honestly, all of the submissions this time around were fantastic, though.)

Job #14: Five alts, akin to in Super Smash Bros. for the N64 (a default appearance, and then four alts beyond that.) Uniquely, though, we would allow for both model swaps and recolours - though the models aren't allowed to deviate too much from the source in terms of skeleton (so for example, no KH2 Cloud if we use his FFVII design by default because of the wing, etc etc).

Job #15:
Given PAC-MAN's original theme is about like, five seconds long, I ended up going for a wider selection from throughout his series, with a couple of callbacks to his original theme here and there, and actually focusing on the games people seem to like (sorry, Ghostly Adventures fans.) I also included a Pac-Mania song because at least one direct arcade rip felt like a good call.

Bonus Round:
I think it could be a good call to go with "genre" reps from time to time, but others have already brought that up. That being said, one thing I do think would be pretty useful to cover is additional content beyond purely the fighting game stuff - like how previous games in the Super Smash Bros. series had Trophies, Ultimate had Spirits, and then even games like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale had the buddies that float around with you. As for specifically what, I'm not 100% sure, though.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
  1. Adventurer
  2. Space Invaders
  3. Tetromino
Alts: 10 per character
I don't think we should have a strict color swap-alt costume ratio since not every fighter would be able to have a nice selection of potential costumes, so I think it should vary on a case-by-case basis.

Pac-Championship Music
  1. Normal Mode - Pac-Man Championship Edition (NES)
  2. World 0-1 - Pac-Man Arrangement (New Remix)
  3. Pac-Man's Park - Pac-Mania
  4. Ghostly Garden - Pac-Man World (New Remix)
  5. Main Theme - Pac-Man World 2 (New Remix; ignore the Smash branding)
  6. Retro Maze - Pac-Man World Rally
  7. Pac-Jump Up! - Pac-Man Championship Edition 2
  8. Top 100 - Pac-Man 99 (pinch variant: Top 10)

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
The votes are in! Let's take a looksee!

Job #12 Submit a Resident Evil stage!

The Village: 0 votes
Spencer Mansion: 1 vote
Raccoon City Police Department: 3 votes

Congrats to KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 ! Raccoon City Police Department will be added to the Stage list!

and now... the big one.

Job #13 Submit a character from before 1990 for the roster!

Bub: 1 point
Slime: 1 point
Tetromino: 1 point
Mega Man: 2 points
Ball & Paddle: 4 points
Ryu Hayabasa: 6 points
Adventurer: 6 points
Bomberman: 7 points
Centipede: 8 points
Space Invaders: 11 points

In first place comes the Space Invaders! These lil aliens have been icons of the gaming world since 1978, and I couldn't be happier that they've joined the roster!

In second place is Centipede! I'm super glad to have an atari rep in the roster, and to be honest I'm more excited just to have a giant Centipede in a fighting game!
_________

And now, let's look at the new submissions!

Job #14: Submit the amount of alts every character should have, including which slots should be dedicated to recolors, and which to alternate costumes:

Job #14: Alts
I think 8 should be the bare minimum for every character and that some characters (not all, just some) should have 16 alts, with each half dedicated to an alt (i.e. Little Mac in Smash 4).
Job 14: 7 alts, 3 of which are costumes, the rest are recolors.
Job #14: Five alts, akin to in Super Smash Bros. for the N64 (a default appearance, and then four alts beyond that.) Uniquely, though, we would allow for both model swaps and recolours - though the models aren't allowed to deviate too much from the source in terms of skeleton (so for example, no KH2 Cloud if we use his FFVII design by default because of the wing, etc etc).
Alts: 10 per character
I don't think we should have a strict color swap-alt costume ratio since not every fighter would be able to have a nice selection of potential costumes, so I think it should vary on a case-by-case basis.
Perkilator Perkilator 's Submission
MartianSnake MartianSnake 's Submission
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 's Submission
FazDude FazDude 's Submission

Vote as you would most other things on this thread.

Job #15: Submit music tracks for Pac-Championship!

Job #15:
Given PAC-MAN's original theme is about like, five seconds long, I ended up going for a wider selection from throughout his series, with a couple of callbacks to his original theme here and there, and actually focusing on the games people seem to like (sorry, Ghostly Adventures fans.) I also included a Pac-Mania song because at least one direct arcade rip felt like a good call.
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 's submission
FazDude FazDude 's submission
MartianSnake MartianSnake 's submission

So here's what we're going to atleast try to do with music:
Vote for one person's submission, then pick two songs from the other submissions to add on top of that submission. If this doesn't work out, I'll move to a simpler voting style next time we do music. The winner will be added, along with any of the extra songs.
________

And now, new jobs!

Job #16: Submit a Space Invaders OR Retro Arcade Game stage.

I'm opening up the floodgates for this job a little bit because Space Invaders alone might not spark that much variety in submissions. Keep in mind it should be something that makes some sense to be matched with Space Invaders, so avoid games like Splatterhouse.

Job #17: Submit a Collectible concept!

Every great platfighter needs some form of Collectible, go nuts with ideas!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #14:
  1. 8 Alts Minimum (Perkilator's) - I think this works pretty well, and for characters who need it, 16 alts would be a nice addition to have.
  2. 10 Alts Each - It's nice to have a set number, and 10 seems pretty good to me.
  3. 5 Alts Each - I think a more minimal style would work well for a game like this, considering its control scheme, but that's just me!
Job #15:
I'm voting for FazDude's submission, but I'll pick Beginner & Novice Mode - Pac-Attack (Namco Anthology 2 ver.) and Title Theme - Pac-Man Vs. (DS) on top of those. Big shoutout to Pac-Man Fever, which would undoubtedly be pretty funny, I'm just not sure if non-videogame songs would really work in something like this. Sorry about that!

Job #16:
Stage Name: Stratospheric Invasion
Stage Origin:
Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders (2017)

Based on some of the cover art for Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders, coupled with some remakes of Space Invaders over the years, this stage takes place atop Arkanoid itself as it rockets through the Earth's upper atmosphere, with clouds far below. From above, a formation of retro-styled Space Invaders are moving toward the ground, and are caught in a skirmish between a cannon on the Earth's surface - the Vaus - firing directly at them whilst they try and break through the upper atmosphere. Whilst this does take some creative liberties with the source material, I think Arkanoid is another classic Taito game that makes a lot of sense to represent as a platform of some kind here, plus it'd give this stage such a unique feel compared to any other considering there's an intergalactic battle going on in the background.

Job #17: Tokens!
Considering their intrinsic connection to arcades, a coin-like "token" feels like it'd work really well. There's a given number of Tokens to collect, let's say 250, each of varying rarity (indicated by whether they're made of bronze, silver, or gold), and each one has a unique "engraving" of a character, item, object, place, or otherwise. Each one comes with a little in-game collector's card telling you which one it is, plus a little bit of information about it, which could look something like:

Token Name: Boss Galaga
Rarity: Silver
Token Number:
Series: Galaga
Description: The most powerful of the Galaga invaders, bent on conquering the Earth for themselves. All that's stood in the way between it and total world domination is a single ship. Armed with a powerful tractor beam, this extraterrestrial warrior isn't to be trifled with - quick, shoot it down, then shoot it again!

Obviously this is just an example, but you get the idea!

Also, would you like moveset submissions for Centipede and the Space Invaders yet, or do you want us to wait for jobs for them? :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom