• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: The Smash/Nintendo Cinematic Universe

AlRex

Smash Lord
I kind of regret not submitting Wind Waker tbh,
Well, we'll always have later opportunities to do so. Plus it could be kind of nice to have both Links, since one takes after the other.

I think by now, I'll show the votes and declare a winner:
Multiple Eras: 9
Loose OOT: 7
Link to the Past: 14
OOT: 7
Zelda 1: 11

Congrats to Dan Quixote Dan Quixote and Link to the Past! Link to the Past is a pretty good one for a basis, all things considered. That said, I do have one other thing to discuss about our first film...

Job #5: How does it connect to later films?
I don't think it should invade the film to have a ton of set-up for other game series' adaptations. I think something simple, like Ganon/Agahnim consorting with some mysterious even higher power, the further use/set-up of the Light/Dark World dichotomy showing that dimensions can be somewhat tampered with, and the Triforce potentially being a powerful object that is put to further use later on, even outside of the Zelda series somehow. This is just a bit of spitballing, though. Like I said, I personally don't want this to invade the film, like the more recent Mummy or that weird computer scene in Batman V Superman. Oh dear...

AlRex

Smash Lord
Not much feedback from this subject, probably down to how I've timed some of this. You can give some still, but I'd also like to go to a new job.

Job #6: What should be the next movie after "Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past"?
Pretty simple. I think the one I'd pick now would be Donkey Kong. It'd be a loose adaptation of the arcade game, with Mario and Luigi, two brothers who work together as handymen, having to deal with a gorilla who seems to have gotten loose from the zoo and lost in the city, and they have to save Mario's girlfriend, Pauline, as well as any innocent bystanders and probably even the ape himself. I can think of ways this goes directly into Super Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong Country as sequels.

D

Deleted member

Missed the last job. I'd probably have some hints at other worlds via some sort of magic. Mythology stuff could be used to connect to the likes of Kid Icarus and Fire Embelm.

I think Metroid or Star Fox could work for next. Space would be a change of pace after the High Fantasy vibes of Zelda.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
A film adaption of Earthbound, its expanded to included Ness' father who secretly Ninten from Mother 1, and Giygas is a creature representing all the suffering in the world and instead of killing it the cast instead helps it heal its trauma, I think it would be a cool movie to make a film out of

D

Deleted member

A film adaptation of Mach Rider, where it tells that exact story of it, but it expands for more parts of story like War between Quadrunners or other Aliens. That would be cool movie based on 80's Game.
Personally i think that be would be like if they did Guardians of the Galaxy in Phase 1. Could be something cool later on but it's way too early I think. Not trying to be rude.

Last edited by a moderator:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I think a cool movie to have next would be Punch-Out.

The idea behind this movie is simple - it roughly follows the events of the first game. An aging Doc Louis is beginning to feel like his life has grown stale and boring, but then comes across Little Mac - training him up, and having the pair of them working their way to becoming the #1 in the WVBA. Sure, it might be similar to Rocky, but I think that would be clever - really leaning into the whole 80s movie kinda feel. Even so, I like the idea of the fights being really over-the-top - lots of fancy effects and the like for attacks like the K.O. Punch. This isn't, after all, realistic. Also, a good "main villain" for this movie could be Aran Ryan - the idea being, a main villain like Mr. Sandman would be saved for a later movie in the series as Mac climbs the ranks.

The more earth-bound action as opposed to high fantasy or space could theoretically set up other series quite well! For instance, I imagine it could be a clever way to set up, or at least refer to, ARMS - or even other characters from other series, such as Michael Chain from F-Zero.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
With regards to Punch-Out, it makes me think of a sort of funny way to establish Mario. Since he was a referee in the NES games, if he doesn't have a film early on, he could show up doing different odd jobs like that before getting his own movie. Sort of like Stan Lee's numerous cameos in Marvel movies.
I guess this highly depends on how we want to depict Mario in this universe. Do we want to go with the more modern style of Mario and Luigi being plumbers who are residents of the fantastical Mushroom Kingdom and have always lived in the Mushroom Kingdom? Or the older style of Mario and Luigi being Italians living in New York doing manual labor and odd jobs who are somehow drawn into the Mushroom Kingdom later in their lives?

AlRex

Smash Lord
I guess this highly depends on how we want to depict Mario in this universe. Do we want to go with the more modern style of Mario and Luigi being plumbers who are residents of the fantastical Mushroom Kingdom and have always lived in the Mushroom Kingdom? Or the older style of Mario and Luigi being Italians living in New York doing manual labor and odd jobs who are somehow drawn into the Mushroom Kingdom later in their lives?
My idea for Mario goes more along the latter, though we could make it New Donk City instead of New York City and things like that.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
My idea for the next movie is an adaptation of both Mario Bros. the arcade game and Super Mario Bros, as a Mario origin story.

It starts with Mario and Luigi as plumbers in either Brooklyn or New Donk City, who discover an infestation of Koopa Troopas in the sewers, and then end up going down a pipe and ending up in the Mushroom Kingdom, where they try to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser.

Kinda basic but we need to establish Mario eventually, sequels can get more creative.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
My idea for the next movie is an adaptation of both Mario Bros. the arcade game and Super Mario Bros, as a Mario origin story.

It starts with Mario and Luigi as plumbers in either Brooklyn or New Donk City, who discover an infestation of Koopa Troopas in the sewers, and then end up going down a pipe and ending up in the Mushroom Kingdom, where they try to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser.

Kinda basic but we need to establish Mario eventually, sequels can get more creative.
Would there be references to the Lost Levels where some of the levels appear as background cameos?
(Maybe a scene with the two fighting off enemies on the bridges and mushroom platforms)

(Also a scene where Mario and Luigi end up in the Minus World would be cool, have said world looking much more corrupted and warped as if it was another dimension of bizarre proportions)

AlRex

Smash Lord

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Metroid
2. Earthbound
3. Punch-Out

Honorable Mention to Mario, I would've voted it if not for the Mario movie coming out (as in Mario is already getting a lot, he can wait a bit before being introduced to the NCU, let's have the lesser known series get a shot) and also the third movie would already have a disadvantage (after going from Legend of Zelda to Mario, who'd be that excited to watch Kid Icarus or something like that)

AlRex

Smash Lord
Metroid: 13
Donkey Kong: 7
Mario: 11
Mach Rider: 2
Earthbound: 2
Punch-Out: 4
StarFox: 3
Just about, I think I can call this for Metroid and @Darkonedagger ! Congrats to you and everyone else who submitted.

Job #7: What is the plot for this movie?
I'll fold a few other jobs into this for the general pacing of the thread. You can pick what game(s) to base it off of, either directly or loosely, and, if you feel like it, talk about voice-acting casting and connections to later films on down the line.

I would pretty much not be too explicit with set-up for other series outside of Metroid, but I'd put in cameos/hints of other characters and series. Like, if they mention other intergalactic bounty hunters, Douglas Jay Falcon and Pico can pop up in conversation. Maybe there's a bar she goes to as part of a job and alien species from other series show up there, in a Star Wars Cantina sort of way.

But most of the movie, I'd loosely base it on the first Metroid for NES, have Samus take on a job to take out the Space Pirates on Planet Zebes, exploring the large, sprawling caverns of this planet and encountering different types of alien life along the way. Keep her backstory/set-up stuff more vague, since Other M wasn't particularly satisfying for most, but even if she doesn't speak much, we should generally know the type of character Samus is. She herself is isolated, kind of into her jobs, doesn't socialize much, but does have some caring for certain creatures. We could loosely fit a bit of Metroid 2 and some minor Super Metroid elements into it. The job could also be personal for her, given Ridley's involvement with the Space Pirates, and we could imply a past, as well, though I would not have Samus come to a complete stop when facing him. Ridley is cruel, sadistic, calculating, and more intelligent than one might expect from just seeing a roaring dragon. Unsure whether he should speak or not, although IIRC, there's manga with him speaking dialogue.

These are all pretty loose, scattershot thoughts, you can feel free to add more to it, or help it become more fully formed.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I'd agree with the horror-esque tone, similar to Alien. A key aspect to Metroid is the sense of isolation you feel as you play, and I'd love that to be replicated here - as we follow Samus on her mission to Zebes to find and eliminate the Space Pirates.

However, this begs the question as to the specific "main villain" of this movie. I think it might actually be a good idea to have Ridley as the main threat - the idea being, the Metroid that they've captured from a Federation facility is sort of a MacGuffin, and Ridley is the leader of a team of Space Pirates sent by Mother Brain to capture said Metroid (a little like how we have Darth Vader in Star Wars, who answers to the Emperor, though the former has a greater direct connection to the protagonist.)

In terms of personality, we'll keep Samus nice and vague for this movie. Oh - and Ridley is a horrific, callous and intelligent killer, similar to his appearance in the manga! I think it makes some sense as the main villain.

If you wanted to set some other things up, I think it might be a good idea to do the cantina thing that AlRex mentioned - for instance, I picture that whilst Samus is on the Federation payroll, someone like Pico is probably aligned closer to the Hunters (and I imagine Pico would work really well with Sylux.) Likewise, I think the StarWolf team could come up in conversation too. Even so, I wouldn't have them appear right away, only passing mentions for now.

AlRex

Smash Lord
For another discussion bit, is the original Metroid fine as a basis, or would we want to go Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, something else? I like Fusion, but that feels like something that should happen in a later sequel.

Also Samus can have a cello on her ship somewhere, sure.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
For another discussion bit, is the original Metroid fine as a basis, or would we want to go Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, something else? I like Fusion, but that feels like something that should happen in a later sequel.

Also Samus can have a cello on her ship somewhere, sure.
Personally, I would have it be a sort of fusion between Super Metroid and the original. However, my suggestion would be not to limit ourselves with the canon Metroid universe - story beats and characters from the Prime universe such as Sylux or Dark Samus could still turn up in later movies.

AlRex

Smash Lord
It's been a few days, but I'm not sure whether to hold a vote or come to a general consensus. Storyline that roughly blends elements of the first few Metroid games, involves Samus being sent to Zebes to deal with the Space Pirates, who are themselves working for Mother Brain and trying to capture the Metroid for their own gain, as well as that of their own client, Mother Brain. Other things can happen, like Samus gaining info by going to a seedy space bar (not the one on your keyboard), and generally, the tone will be of a lone warrior woman taking on strange, alien threats in a sprawling, dark, alien landscape, with noted inspiration from what already inspired Metroid, Alien/Aliens. We can throw in the Easter Egg stuff like cameos and mentions of other Nintendo space properties, and the cello showing up in the ship somewhere, plus of course, later films can take from Metroid Prime, as well.

Anybody else have any other thoughts? If not, I can probably have us go to another job shortly. Maybe I'll take recommendations on what jobs should be done besides simply saying what movies there should be, then choosing them, then writing about them. I'm unsure of how much the voice-acting and further connections need to be separate jobs. I'd definitely like to get to a mini-series at some point, since it seems like a better fit for some games.

It's been a few days, but I'm not sure whether to hold a vote or come to a general consensus. Storyline that roughly blends elements of the first few Metroid games, involves Samus being sent to Zebes to deal with the Space Pirates, who are themselves working for Mother Brain and trying to capture the Metroid for their own gain, as well as that of their own client, Mother Brain. Other things can happen, like Samus gaining info by going to a seedy space bar (not the one on your keyboard), and generally, the tone will be of a lone warrior woman taking on strange, alien threats in a sprawling, dark, alien landscape, with noted inspiration from what already inspired Metroid, Alien/Aliens. We can throw in the Easter Egg stuff like cameos and mentions of other Nintendo space properties, and the cello showing up in the ship somewhere, plus of course, later films can take from Metroid Prime, as well.

Anybody else have any other thoughts? If not, I can probably have us go to another job shortly. Maybe I'll take recommendations on what jobs should be done besides simply saying what movies there should be, then choosing them, then writing about them. I'm unsure of how much the voice-acting and further connections need to be separate jobs. I'd definitely like to get to a mini-series at some point, since it seems like a better fit for some games.
We should have a lot of Easter eggs like Great Fox shipwreck in one of Metroid Movie scene.

AlRex

Smash Lord
It seems mostly settled on what goes into the first Metroid movie. Tomorrow, I think I'll post another vote for the next film, and maybe one after the last film of this phase (we'll have several films before that, don't worry) for a spin-off mini-series. Dunno if anybody has any other suggestions for what we should do as jobs.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I can't really think of what else to do with Metroid, so I may just move onto another film nomination round.

Job #8: What should be our third movie?
Now that we have Legend of Zelda and Metroid, what should we do next? Should we go right ahead with another new series? Do a sequel to one of those two? What do you folks have to say here?

Job 8:
Super Mario Bros. (Movie)

Super Mario Bros. (Movie) is a full length animated movie that is Based on Super Mario franchise. It is a Third Movie movie to be in Nintendo Cinematic Universe and 3rd Mario film ever made.

The plot is actually Mario's life and it takes inspiration from Mario games like Super Mario Bros. and Yoshi's Island, where Mario was a baby.
In Opening of the Movie, it depicts Baby Mario and Baby Luigi being under Yoshi's care and Kamek steals Baby Luigi and they save him. Later Stork travels to New York City/New Donk City, where Mario & Luigi grew up. When they were in school, Wario and Waluigi bullied them and later after graduating College, Brothers started to Work in Wrecking Crew, but they were fired by Foreman Spike. After being fired, Brothers became Plumbers and then, they got sucked into Warp Zone to Mushroom Kingdom and they explore Mushroom Kingdom.
When Bowser stole Proncess peach, Toads acknowledged Mario & Luigi and they needed to save Princess Peach from Bowser's wedding with Peach.
In Final parts of Movie, Mario and Peach fell in Love, but Luigi hadn't any Girlfriend, but in Post-Credits scene, they show Princess Daisy being Kidnapped by Tatanga.

We need new Series, since Mario could have cool Movie and it could promote Mario Movie by Illumination.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Gonna bump this and leave it open for a bit for a few more submissions, but I'd also still like ideas for what to do in this thread, just in general. Jobs, discussion points, anything like that.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'll just have the vote now. Given the amount of entries, I'll say Kirby is next, and we vote on whether we want to do a Donkey Kong [arcade, not DKC yet] or Super Mario Bros.-based movie, since that's similar territory.

As well, we'll start talking about plots for the Kirby movie, after which, we'll probably go onto whichever one wins the poll. So...

Job #8: What is the plot for the Kirby movie?
Believe it or not, I've given this some thought before in a different experiment. I'm not having an easy time rewording it to make it shorter, so you can go ahead and read it here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gzq3SvdDSFuvBVlOQfoL0Jz4Hrt8Qv0f1ElkztCLX5M/edit?usp=sharing

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I'm definitely a fan of the Donkey Kong movie. It would do great to introduce both the Mario Bros. and DK himself into the universe at once. But one thing we'd need to decide is if we're keeping the DKC canon. That being that Cranky Kong was the ape causing havoc in the construction site, and the Donkey Kong we know and love today is his grandson. If we don't want to retcon Cranky's existence, we might have to say that the DKC continuity is a different universe than the one the Mario Bros. are from, just the same as the Kirby and Metroid universes.

Job #8: Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land

Just like most of the other series we've talked about so far, I think it would work best for the connected universe to not just start with whatever game was released first in the series, and this goes doubly so with Kirby. Kirby's Adventure introduced copy abilities, it introduced Meta Knight, it introduced the concept of King Dedede as an antihero instead of a villain, and it has one of the famous cosmic horror villains that Kirby is known for. I say Nightmare in Dream Land instead of Kirby's Adventure just so we can use the updated character designs.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'm definitely a fan of the Donkey Kong movie. It would do great to introduce both the Mario Bros. and DK himself into the universe at once. But one thing we'd need to decide is if we're keeping the DKC canon. That being that Cranky Kong was the ape causing havoc in the construction site, and the Donkey Kong we know and love today is his grandson. If we don't want to retcon Cranky's existence, we might have to say that the DKC continuity is a different universe than the one the Mario Bros. are from, just the same as the Kirby and Metroid universes.
On this, I would say that I have an idea for connecting both that keeps Cranky Kong still existing and kind of simplifies that aspect. I always found it odd that apparently apes become elderly much quicker than humans apparently do, given that Mario barely aged. Unless we make Jumpman Mario's dad. But we can discuss it more once we get to DK or SMB.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong has 3 to 2, I suppose. So that'll be what we discuss after Kirby.
But we'll also discuss which Kirby plot should be chosen between my own and Dan Quixote's. I'll say we discuss it in here rather than doing the poll again because these polls tend to not get a lot of votes.

Top Bottom