• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's my stage submission, Mishima Building.

The stage starts out on the roof of the Mishima Zaibatsu building, overlooking the city of Tokyo at night. The few Tekken characters that willingly associate themselves with the Mishima Zaibatsu (Lee, Combot, Nina, etc.) can be seen in the background, watching the fight. However, after a while (either halfway through the match's time limit or when one character has half of their lives left), Togera from War of the Monsters climbs up the side of the building, to the shock of the various onlookers. If hazards are on, Togera fires his nuclear breath across the stage (the areas that he'll hit are labelled in advance) and try to bite at the fighters.

Eventually, various Prototype Jacks fly out from hatches in the background, latch on to Togera, and self-destruct. The explosions knock Togera back down to the ground level. These explosions are cosmetic and can't hurt the player, since they're in the background.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
My stage suggestion is Glimmer.
images (8).jpeg

This is the opening level of Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, where Avalar's gems are mined and cut. The fight takes place atop the hills surrounding the level, with the largest gazebo serving as an extra platform with a flattened top. In the background, we can see Gemcutters and lizards moving carts full of gems out of the mines.

While the citizens of Glimmer don't exactly get along, the stage is quite peaceful... until a blimp appears over the horizon.

images (7).jpeg

It's an invasion by Molluck the Glukkon and his Slig mercenaries! The blimp carpet bombs the background with Slig canisters, and the Sligs get to work taking over the mine, knocking out the Gemcutters and tying up the lizards.

It's not long before they turn their attention to the fighters: a Slig sniper will scan the battlefield with its tracking laser, and any fighter caught in its gaze gets slugged with a brutal sniper round! There's also the matter of the flying Sligs, who will descend from the sky and shoot rockets at the fighters until someone swats him down.

Fortunately, rebel Mudokons will soon appear to help out the Gemcutters, arming them with rock candy and fizzy pop to incapacitate the Slig invasion. They'll knock out the Slig snipers to stop them aiming their rifles at the battle, and they can even take down the flying Slig if they're left alive for too long!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
My stage suggestion is Glimmer.
View attachment 313134
This is the opening level of Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, where Avalar's gems are mined and cut. The fight takes place atop the hills surrounding the level, with the largest gazebo serving as an extra platform with a flattened top. In the background, we can see Gemcutters and lizards moving carts full of gems out of the mines.

While the citizens of Glimmer don't exactly get along, the stage is quite peaceful... until a blimp appears over the horizon.

View attachment 313140
It's an invasion by Molluck the Glukkon and his Slig mercenaries! The blimp carpet bombs the background with Slig canisters, and the Sligs get to work taking over the mine, knocking out the Gemcutters and tying up the lizards.

It's not long before they turn their attention to the fighters: a Slig sniper will scan the battlefield with its tracking laser, and any fighter caught in its gaze gets slugged with a brutal sniper round! There's also the matter of the flying Sligs, who will descend from the sky and shoot rockets at the fighters until someone swats him down.

Fortunately, rebel Mudokons will soon appear to help out the Gemcutters, arming them with rock candy and fizzy pop to incapacitate the Slig invasion. They'll knock out the Slig snipers to stop them aiming their rifles at the battle, and they can even take down the flying Slig if they're left alive for too long!
Finally! I thought I would have had to resubmit that lack-luster entry I made earlier! I still think Stone Hill could have worked though.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For the costume Sweet tooth could have various design from the Twisted metal franchise.
Twisted metal black/2012 design
Sweet_Tooth_(Twisted_Metal).jpg
Twisted metal 3 design
Needles_Kane_TM3.jpg
Twisted metal 4 design
hqdefault (3).jpg
Small brawl design
lee-r-wilson-sweet-tooth-jr-ii.jpg
Starhawk design
maxresdefault (21).jpg

For the stage I nominate High speed ring (Gran turismo/Modnation racers)

The stage start at the starting line of the High speed ring track of Gran turismo. This track appear in almost every game in the franchise. The stage layout is very flat at the start. Some cars will be on the track that needs to be avoid. Eventually, some objects from Modnation racers will start to appear in the background (like tree and house). Then the stage itself will start to change (basically like if you are in create mode from Modnation). The terrain can change (adding slope for example), and adding hazards like jumps and obstacles from Modnation racers.

High_speed_ring.jpg

D

Deleted member

I meant to show this off

Pocketstation (Toro and Vib-ribbin)
Amazon.com: Sony PocketStation White (Japan Import): Video Games

So players are either on the flip controller below the screen (it is flipped upright so the screen takes up the background) or on the screen themselves.
(I couldn't really decided how it would work myself)
Either or, digital avatars, platforms, and/ or hazards come out of the screen to attack the players(mostly made up ones, or from various old school PlayStation compatible games with the pocketstation). The biggest character that appears a lot is Toro, as he appeared a lot in the marketing of his version of the system.
For the swap however, the screen goes black and than ...

The PlayStation Classics: Vib-Ribbon PSOne Classic

Vibbri from Vib-ribbin appears, hopping around the screen.
The game goes to showing Vibbri hopping around as music plays and spikes and walls start to appear on the stage.

I also have an Idea for spike costume...
So we have the default and is classic costume:
Spike (Ape Escape) | VS Battles Wiki | Fandom
Spike: Ape Escape. A boy who takes up the task of capturing enhanced  monkeys to restore the balance of history. He … | Vintage video games,  Escape game, Battle star

And he should have alts based on Jake and Jimmy
Jake | Ape Escape Wiki | Fandom
Ape Escape™ 2

I think a sick alt would be for Yumi, to represent the femal side of the series
Yumi:
Yumi | Ape Escape Wiki | Fandom

With her alts of Helga, Natalie, and and Casi
Helga | Ape Escape Wiki | Fandom
Natalie (ape escape) | Heroes Wiki | Fandom
Ape Escape / Characters - TV Tropes

I left out a Spectre Alt just incase we decide for him to join in the future.

Last thing i wanted to put into this post is a request of 2-ish types of characters we could add in:
One being characters from the same franchise thats already represented(examples: Raven, Lammy, Carmelita, ect.)
the other suggestion is kinda a subset of this one... but for villans(Dr.Cortex, Calypso, Spectre, or Dr.Nefarious(if he dosent win the strawpoll))

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last thing i wanted to put into this post is a request of 2-ish types of characters we could add in:
One being characters from the same franchise thats already represented(examples: Raven, Lammy, Carmelita, ect.)
the other suggestion is kinda a subset of this one... but for villans(Dr.Cortex, Calypso, Spectre, or Dr.Nefarious(if he dosent win the strawpoll))
Sure! I was thinking of doing at least one of those. I see that we're pretty short on villains (only Pyramid Head and Heihachi qualify out of our current line-up), and we've only got one character per series at the moment.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here are my suggestions for Ellen's alternate costumes:

1619707284371.png (Regular)
1619707314066.png (Cloak of Sidhe)
Faerycloak-coneptart.jpg (Faery Cloak)
Twilight-conceptart.jpg (Cloak of Twilight)

Also, new stage nomination: Valleyfold (Tearaway/Folklore)

1619760740659.png

Valleyfold s the first set of locations in Tearaway. Visually, it looks like a lush forest made out of papercraft. The stage is shaped as two big tree stumps with uneven heights connected by a bridge with some branches on the sides that act as soft platforms. Some Tearaway characters can be seen in the background, like Elk, Green Man, and protagonists Iota and Atoi if they are not playable.

After a while, the stage starts to change with a teal-colored ball of light appearing behind the trees. The sky changes into an unnatural pink color, twisted tree branches replace the previous ones and the stage overall takes a more claustrophobic, mystical yet still bright form.

1619761372212.png

For a while, the Tearaway characters curiously interact with the emerging folks like Pouke and Cait Sidhe. After a short while, though, they all escape from the incoming Cernunnos, guardian Folklore of the Feary Realm and the antlered god of the wilderness:

It stands on a high platform behind the players and attacks them with its tentacles, sucking their AP. In the end, it's beaten by a giant roll of construction paper coming from its side and toppling it over. The bud on its back then will bloom, scattering AP around.

Stage theme: A mash of Lament & Hornpipe from Tearaway and Collapse from Folklore. The alternate track starts with Pilgrimage and transitions into To the Unknown World. Both games have Irish/Celtic influences in their OSTs so it was interesting to find a combination for them.

Sure! I was thinking of doing at least one of those. I see that we're pretty short on villains (only Pyramid Head and Heihachi qualify out of our current line-up), and we've only got one character per series at the moment.
I don't know much about Twisted Metal but I'm pretty sure Sweet Tooth is considered as a villain by the first game.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't know much about Twisted Metal but I'm pretty sure Sweet Tooth is considered as a villain by the first game.
He's actually pretty calm in the first game compare to later games (TM Black and 2012). I wouldn't call him a vilain (maybe in 2012), but he's definitely not a hero or protagonist. He's just the mascot of the series.

In the first game his wish was that he wanted to retrive his best friend, which is just a paper bag with a face on it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He's actually pretty calm in the first game compare to later games (TM Black and 2012). I wouldn't call him a vilain (maybe in 2012), but he's definitely not a hero or protagonist. He's just the mascot of the series.

In the first game his wish was that he wanted to retrive his best friend, which is just a paper bag with a face on it.
Actually, I was talking about the first PSASBR, where his DLC costume was included in the Bad Guys pack.

But thanks, it's good knowing his position in his home series.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Right - I forgot about him being a serial killer. (at least, I think he was a serial killer?)

Is it okay for me to bring up some more costume ideas? i got two for Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper.
Sure, you can post costumes for whoever you want!

---

Abe from Oddworld is our 27th character! Much like Dart and the Gravity Rush/Journey stage, he barely missed out on the previous game, so it's great to see all three of them make it in here! With that, we're 3/4 of the way through the roster.

In terms of stage nominations, we've got...

-Mishima Building (Tekken/War of the Monsters) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Glimmer (Spyro the Dragon/Oddworld) ( Yokta Yokta )
-High Speed Ring (Gran Turismo/ModNation Racers) ( CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash )
-PocketStation (Toro/Vib Ribbon) (@VGamer01)
-Valleyfold (Tearaway/Folklore) ( osby osby )

Vote for your top three, and the top two overall will make it into the game! (same as usual, if it's a stage that you nominated, you can only put it in third)

My votes are:

1. Glimmer
2. Valleyfold
3. High Speed Ring

osby

Smash Obsessed
Stage votings:

1. Pocketstation. Cool hardware stage. I think this would work the best if the fighters duke it out on the screen.
  2. High Speed Ring. We already have a racing game stage but this looks like it can set itself apart well.
  3. Valleyfold. Obligatory self-vote.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
1. Valleyfold: I really wanted a Tearaway stage, but I didn't have any idea for the secondary representation. I never played Folklore but it seems like a great fit for Tearaway.
2. Glimmer: I'm not the biggest Spyro fan and I know nothing about Oddworld, but I feel like both deserve a stage so I'll give this a vote.
3. PocketStation: cool concept, and it's nice to see some lesser known franchise getting something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Valleyfold
2. High speed ring
3. Pocketstation

All the suggestions were really good this time!

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Vallyfold: I never thought about a stage with Folklore and hearing the concept of this stage has given me interest, also, Tearaway should get some recognition here too.
Glimmer: The concept of this stage has kept me intrigued, reminds me of some of the old stages from the previous game.
Mishima Building: A Tekken Stage that works like this would really be good

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Maybe there's something else we could talk about today? Perhaps some more arcade modes?

I think there could be a mode where you fight the polygon clones made by the antagonists, sort of like Multi-Man battle. This mode could be divided into 6 categories:
  • Polygon Rush: Defeat 10 Polygon Clones as quickly as possible, with standard match rules.
  • Polygon Horde: Fight an endless wave of Clones and defeat as many as possible before being KO'd.
  • Polygon Puzzle: Defeat 33 Polygon Clones that are only vulnerable to certain Attack types.
  • Polygon Slam: The clones have infinite health but take amplified knockback. Defeat them by knocking them into scoring zones to receive extra time. Get as many scores as possible before time runs out.
  • Polygon Wrath: You only have one clone opponent, but it is invulnerable and overpowering. Avoid getting KO'd for as long as possible.
  • Super Polygon Rush: Defeat 100 Polygon clones with infinite Supers. After using a Super, your Super meter is immediately filled to a random level, with Level 3s being very rare. This category can only be played by fighters with a recorded score in the other 5 categories.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Maybe there's something else we could talk about today? Perhaps some more arcade modes?

I think there could be a mode where you fight the polygon clones made by the antagonists, sort of like Multi-Man battle. This mode could be divided into 6 categories:
  • Polygon Rush: Defeat 10 Polygon Clones as quickly as possible, with standard match rules.
  • Polygon Horde: Fight an endless wave of Clones and defeat as many as possible before being KO'd.
  • Polygon Puzzle: Defeat 33 Polygon Clones that are only vulnerable to certain Attack types.
  • Polygon Slam: The clones have infinite health but take amplified knockback. Defeat them by knocking them into scoring zones to receive extra time. Get as many scores as possible before time runs out.
  • Polygon Wrath: You only have one clone opponent, but it is invulnerable and overpowering. Avoid getting KO'd for as long as possible.
  • Super Polygon Rush: Defeat 100 Polygon clones with infinite Supers. After using a Super, your Super meter is immediately filled to a random level, with Level 3s being very rare. This category can only be played by fighters with a recorded score in the other 5 categories.
Sure, we can talk about that; we decided on a bonus round for arcade mode, but we never really discussed what it could be.

I felt like I tried to cram way too much into the day where we voted on summons, voted on items, and voted on what the LocoRoco stage would cross over with, so I thought it would be best to stick to one thing. However, I feel like most people have voted on these stages already (though I'll wait until tomorrow to finalize those results), so we can talk about bonus round ideas as well.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
One idea I had for arcade mode is Classic Fights (the name sucks so if someone can come up with a good one that'd be great).

Basically it'd be fights using the previous game's rule that you can only KO using supers, which could be interesting because we aren't designing the game around supers like last time so it could make for some tough fights depending on the character. It could be a special ruleset too I guess like stamina mode in Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The results of the stage vote are as follows:

Valleyfold: 18
Glimmer: 11
PocketStation: 8
High Speed Ring: 6
Mishima Building: 4

This means that Valleyfold and Glimmer will be added to the stage list!

---

In addition to continuing the discussion/nominations for what the Arcade Mode bonus round will be, we're also going to nominate arcade mode bosses. Bosses can be from any first party Sony franchise, along with any of the third party franchises that are in the game. However, one of them is going to be a revamped Polygon Man fight, for the sake of consistency with the original game.

We'll be including the top three boss fights. (I'm thinking we'll have a total of six bosses, though I want to leave some spots open since we could still get more third party characters later) I was a bit hesitant about doing this now, since the roster isn't finalized yet, but I figure that we can talk it out if someone winds up nominating a character that someone else wants to see playable.

Boss fights can have up to three phases, though the more phases that they have, the less health that each phase has. (so if a one-phase boss has 600 health, then a three-phase boss has to split that amount between each of its phases, like 300/200/100 or 200/200/200)

My nomination is...

Nemesis (Resident Evil)

Easily the most recognizable Resident Evil monster, Nemesis pursues Jill Valentine throughout most of Resident Evil 3. While he doesn't appear in the same game as Leon, Nemesis makes for a more climactic final boss than Mr. X of Resident Evil 2, so I'm going with him here. Nemesis starts out in its normal state, a hulking humanoid figure that's a head or two taller than the player characters. Nemesis slowly walks after the player character, striking them with melee attacks, though if the player keeps their distance, it will use its rocket launcher and tentacles as well.

Damage it enough, and Nemesis will enter its second, more beast-like form. It's a much larger target, though it's also faster and less predictable. However, it lacks the ranged attacks that the first form had.

When Nemesis is on its last legs, it grows and warps, changing into its final form. Despite its massive appearance, Nemesis doesn't have much gas left in the tank at this point - it doesn't have much health remaining, and its attacks are easier to predict given its giant, lumbering size. Don't get too complacent, however, because its attacks deal a ton of damage.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I don't see why unrepresented third party characters couldn't be boss battles. Smash Bros has a Rathalos boss despite having no Monster Hunter fighters or stages. That being the case, my nomination is sans

Rather than nominate a specific boss, I would instead like to nominate a theme for the bosses that aren't original characters: Fusion Bosses.

The Fusion Bosses are formed by two characters from separate series joining forces, often by using the power of Polygon Crystal to merge forms for extra power and synergy. Some bosses synergise without fusing.

Examples of fusion bosses could include:
  • Hades from God of War fusing with Gnasty Gnorc from Spyro the Dragon, supplementing crystal magic with sheer size and power
  • Lazarevic from Uncharted fusing with the antagonist of Infamous: Second Sun, supplementing power over concrete with nigh-indestructibility
  • Colonel Noodles from Parappa the Rapper riding a Dodonga from Patapon, supplementing noodle-based projectiles with the Dodonga's slow yet powerful attacks
  • Dr. Cortex from Crash Bandicoot fusing with Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet and Clank, fighting with a powerful mech that has wacky attack patterns
Fusion Bosses are a creative form of boss battle that build on the crossover theme established by the stage invasions, while allowing for more creativity and fan service than fighting am unfused boss. Not every boss battle needs to be a fusion- perhaps the unfused bosses could be their own battles as well, with simpler attack patterns- but I believe Fusion Bosses are worth experimenting with.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't see why unrepresented third party characters couldn't be boss battles. Smash Bros has a Rathalos boss despite having no Monster Hunter fighters or stages. That being the case, my nomination is sans
It could be the same companies (so Activision, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, Capcom, Konami, and Oddworld Inhabitants), I suppose - I just wasn't sure if having Metal Gear Rex or Sephiroth would be seen as random if we wind up with no playable characters from Metal Gear or Final Fantasy. (it's still possible that we could, but Raiden doesn't seem like a popular pick given that he got zero votes on both of the previous veteran polls, and it seems like people want to avoid overlapping with Smash's roster)

At any rate, I'm willing to let people nominate bosses from the third party companies that are already in the game.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1619882003883.png

Clockwerk from Sly Cooper

This Giant Robotic Owl was the first antagonist from the Sly Series and is the main leader of the Fiendish Five.

For his First Phase, he'll fly around in the background shooting lasers and missiles(These were done by Clock-La(a fusion of Clockwerk and Neyla) in Sly 2), he would also sometimes come down and smash a random item he picked on the ground onto the player.

In his Second Phase, he is pretty beaten up and is flying hesitantly though can still fight, he fires his electric rings and summons small flying owl robots to the stage to attack the player, you can beat this robot owls down before they reach the player if you manage to reach them.

Lastly, his third phase, clockwerk crashes into the ground now completely broken and malfunctioning. Lasers show up and move in different directions of the screen, the owl robots from the second phase also takes you to add to the difficulty.

Edit: Fix a few things and errors.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Rather than nominate a specific boss, I would instead like to nominate a theme for the bosses that aren't original characters: Fusion Bosses.

The Fusion Bosses are formed by two characters from separate series joining forces, often by using the power of Polygon Crystal to merge forms for extra power and synergy. Some bosses synergise without fusing.

Examples of fusion bosses could include:
  • Hades from God of War fusing with Gnasty Gnorc from Spyro the Dragon, supplementing crystal magic with sheer size and power
  • Lazarevic from Uncharted fusing with the antagonist of Infamous: Second Sun, supplementing power over concrete with nigh-indestructibility
  • Colonel Noodles from Parappa the Rapper riding a Dodonga from Patapon, supplementing noodle-based projectiles with the Dodonga's slow yet powerful attacks
  • Dr. Cortex from Crash Bandicoot fusing with Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet and Clank, fighting with a powerful mech that has wacky attack patterns
Fusion Bosses are a creative form of boss battle that build on the crossover theme established by the stage invasions, while allowing for more creativity and fan service than fighting am unfused boss. Not every boss battle needs to be a fusion- perhaps the unfused bosses could be their own battles as well, with simpler attack patterns- but I believe Fusion Bosses are worth experimenting with.
Sounds Pretty Good but i think it would work for a possible story mode. my main concern is if we are doing a cortex and nefarious fuse boss then should this deconfirmed Nefarious and Cortex as fighters? Plus, i feel this might make things a little too far fetch. There's a few factors to consider however, i won't be negative on your idea there is a lot of potential for this.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
My boss nomination is the alien from Astro bot rescue mission. He's the final boss of the game. Most of his attacks would be very similar to the game (the main difference being that he would be on the stage instead of the background). His attack would include punching in front of him, throwing water or shuriken, or throwing missiles on the stage. You can watch the fight here to see the attacks.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure if people aren't really interested in nominating boss fights, or if they want to wait until the roster is finalized to decide on who the bosses will be. (I thought that people would be interested in this category, but it only got three nominations, four if you count the concept of fusion bosses)

Maybe I'll save bosses for later (and take these nominations into account when we get back to it), and we'll move on to something else.

Rivalries were a big part of the previous game, and something that helped to set it apart from Smash. While the cutscenes were short, and often goofy, they allowed these characters to interact, whether it was characters that people wanted to see bounce off of each other for a while (like Ratchet and Jak) or characters that people would have never expected to see meeting in a million years (like goofy skeleton knight Sir Daniel and space fascist Colonel Radec).

For today's category, we're going to be nominating new characters (or returning characters that haven't been included yet) to serve as rivals for each other. We'll be deciding on rivalries for the rest of the roster later, but whichever two pairs win this will be locked in. (so, for example, if someone nominated Dr. Cortex and Dr. Nefarious as a rival pair, then Dr. Nefarious couldn't be made into Ratchet's rival)

You can add any two characters that you want (and in some cases, this might be the last opportunity to add some characters – I’m not sure whether one of the next two nominations will have three characters getting in instead of two, or if we’ll have a separate vote for one character with no criteria attached), though you have to explain why they’d be rivals. (either what would make them fight, why you’re pitting them against each other, or both)

For example, my nomination is…

2B vs. Knack!

Nier Automata and Knack are two very different games. One is about love, loss, and what it means to be human. The other has a collection of polygons fighting a goblin army. One is a game with the smooth, action-heavy gameplay that Platinum Games is known for. The other is a platformer that de-emphasized platforming, meaning that when you approach a gap, it turns into a cutscene of the player character jumping over it. One is considered a 5/5 masterpiece by most critics, and the other is considered a 10/5 Knacksterpiece by a YouTuber who single-handedly turned Knack into a meme because it’s a funny word to say. The contrast between them is jarring and hilarious, which is why I want to put them up against each other.

As for why they’d fight in arcade mode, 2B could think that Knack is some new kind of machine that needs to be exterminated in her arcade mode, while Knack could try to show off what he can do if 2B mistakes him for a toy in his arcade mode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This was a really good suggestion and got my brain to think a little bit harder on this. Here are my suggestions:
Colonel Radec

And Fetch (I was close to choosing Nariko for this, but I'd figure I'd go with infamous for now, also 1 veteran and 1 newcomer sounds better)
Abigail_Walker.png

You can see why I chose these 2 based on background. Fetch was trained by a militaristic conduit, to use her powers for whatever she wanted, and Radec is.... Militaristic...
You can probably see how Radec would be interested in Fetch Neon powers to improve the Helgast army, while Fetch would want to take down Radec due to similarities to Augustine.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1619968621865.png
1619968639021.png

Shadow vs. Yu

I was thinking about using another character besides the Survivors and i was honestly afraid of seeing Yu miss this one out again, so, here's a potentially strange nomination here.

They both are from Sega though Yu is owned by Atlas, which the former company does own and Both are from the companies current popular video game franchises. As for their different perspectives. Yu would attack shadow due to the likely hood of him being an enemy(shadows/personas) while Shadow wanted to get past through since he has no time for Yu's interference.

Edit: Fixed the description to include some other connections i can think of

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Klonoa vs. Bubsy

The world's first flying cat vs. the uh... actual world's first flying cat. These characters have some unusual similarites despite being on opposite extremes of public opinion (one is almost iconic but loathed, the other is beloved but considered relatively obscure) - they're cats who glide, they made brief comebacks after absences, their most famous roles were on the PS1, they have instantly recognisable if annoying catchphrases, and they have tiny blue sidekicks. (OK, that last one's a bit of a stretch.)

Klonoa is a dream traveller while Bubsy is a mild narcissist with Hollywood dreams, so perhaps the rival battle could involve Klonoa having to keep Bubsy's overambition in check. It'd be pretty silly to see a silent character interact with such a big mouthed bobcat.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Cole MacGrath (InFamous) and Jesse Faden (Control)

2 fighters with supernatural powers but who are not "superheroes", Cole with the powers of a Conduit, and Jesse with Paranatural abilities like Telekenesis.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I nominate Filbo and Kulche
FilboCard.png
LocoRoco_Kulche.png

More accurately, I nominate Grumpuses vs. LocoRoco.
I've already explained why Filbo and the Grumpuses should join the fight, but if they do, the LocoRoco would be perfect rivals for them. Filbo and the gang could easily mistake LocoRoco for Bugsnax, with their simple puddling-like appearance, while the LocoRoco could acquire a taste for Bugsnax themselves.

Moreover, all seven LocoRoco could be playable as palette swaps, and each could have their corresponding Grumpus rival, as follows:
  • Filbo vs Kulche​
  • Beffica vs Viole​
  • Wambus vs Budzi​
  • Cromdo vs Pekerone​
  • Wiggle vs Priffy​
  • Chandlo vs Chavez​
  • Floofty vs Tupley​

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Yu Narukami vs. Raiden (Metal Gear)
Yu Narukami.png
1619970180071.png

An odd pairing but I want to explain myself here.

Yu Narukami still, and forever will be, the sister-complex kingpin of steel from Inaba who has a valid history on PlayStation consoles to warrant getting in and would also be a good JRPG and Vita rep. Because I'm a little tired of doing write-ups for Narukami, know that essentially I think Persona would be a great fit, Yu makes perfect sense as a character, Persona is as synonymous with PlayStation as a series can practically be, and new opinion but Persona has great potential for stage cameos (imagine a stage that has a seemingly normal day/night cycle and then suddenly it turns into the dark hour and you see S.E.E.S. members fighting shadows, as an example).

Raiden, who was also known as Jack The Ripper (a name of a SMT demon), was a kid who went through traumatic experiences that shaped him into who he is. Not gonna lie I don't know much about MGS so I can't give a good run-down on him.

Why this pairing of characters? Because I feel there are some parallels between Raiden and Sho Minazuki (however, I will admit I'm not well-versed in Metal Gear lore, so if anyone objects then please tell me), so I think a clash between a Sho-like character and Yu would fit perfectly as rivals for this game. Also, they are both Sword-boys.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I nominate Ash (from Concrete genie) and Amaterasu (from Okami). If you've played or heard about any of those games, the connection is pretty obvious, but I'm going to introduce the characters first.

Concrete genie is a ps4 exclusive developped by Pixelopus, one of the smallest Playstation studios. Ash is a young boy who likes to draw. He find a brush that he can use to create genies and he also use it to fight.
Ash.PNG.png

Okami is an action adventure game developped by Capcom. It was a ps2 exclusive for 2 years before releasing on the Wii and other platforms later. Amaterasu is the goddess of the sun. She uses her brush to create things to solve puzzles or attack ennemies.

Amaterasu_main_artwork.png

Like I said, both characters connection is pretty obvious. They both use a brush as a main weapon, and both want to bring back beauty in their town or their region by using the brush. In All stars, Amaterasu and Issun would not understand why a normal boy have such a powerful brush like they do and this will cause the fight.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here comes an unlikely rivalry:

Nariko from Heavenly Blade vs. Ari & Stan from Okage: Shadow King

1619972323414.png
imageedit_10_4173987778.png

As a veteran, I don't think Nariko needs much introduction. For those who don't know Ari is the silent protagonist of Okage, a cult classic PS2 RPG. Through the game, he's a package deal with Stanley Hihat Trinidad XIV (or shortly Stan), a sealed Evil King who uses Ari's shadow to manifest in the world.

Despite the duo might seem to have nothing to do with Nariko. Nariko is a fierce warrior with violent tendencies while Ari is a gloomy and unassertive boy. However, they have some interesting similarities, and no, I'm not just talking about their hair colors. They both fight along with a dangerous, self-serving force with whom they form an unlikely alliance, being Stan and Heavenly Sword. They are both overlooked and ignored in their hometowns, Ari due to his withdrawn personality and Nariko because of her gender. Their personalities also are parallel, yet opposite to each other: Nariko has a soft spot for her friends and family despite her harsh exterior, while Ari can be surprisingly sarcastic or peppy in his dialogue options for a silent protag.

In her arcade mode, Nariko will try and warn Ari about the demon who seemingly takes advantage of a vulnerable child and finally decides to fight with him, knowing too well that what an evil entity like this can do to a person who doesn't know the risks. In their arcade mode, Ari and Stan come across Nariko, who Stan offends by insulting her figure. When she retaliates, Stan childishly blames her and pushes Ari to fight with him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to try my hand at designing a moveset for Pyramid Head, and we'll see how it goes.

Square Attacks: Great Spear. The attacks from this are faster but less damaging than his giant knife, much like in Silent Hill 2 itself.

Triangle Attacks: Great Knife. These attacks are slow but deal a lot of damage - in the original game, he could kill the player character in one hit with this weapon, but that's obviously not the case here.

Circle Attacks: various monsters from Silent Hill appear to attack the opponent. While this isn't normally an ability that Pyramid Head has, it gives an opportunity to include a wider variety of enemies from the game (such as Creeper, a large roach, and Air Screamer, a pterodactyl-looking monster), whether they show up on their own or Pyramid Head throws them as a projectile. Despite serving as his projectiles, they're fairly weak and don't do much damage, so Pyramid Head's mainly going to be relying on melee attacks.

Level 1: Execution. Pyramid Head winds up for an overhead swing that takes off a ton of health if it connects. While it's very predictable and slow, Pyramid Head gets enough super armour while using it to withstand one attack.

Level 2: Trail of Torment. Borrowing from Dead By Daylight (I'm not sure if this has a basis in Silent Hill itself), Pyramid Head stabs his knife into the ground and a trail of barbed wire appears in front of him, damaging whoever gets hit and slowing them down temporarily.

Level 3: Welcome to Silent Hill. A thick fog rolls into the stage, and the camera shifts into a first person view, trying to find their way through it before stumbling across Pyramid Head and some other Silent Hill monsters. The other players are slowed down, lose the ability to attack, and have their controls reversed, while Pyramid Head's attacks do massive damage. It's not especially flashy, but neither is Pyramid Head.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This prompt has a lot of potential! I went back and forth on several combinations but I think this is the most organic.

Delsin Rowe (Infamous: Second Son) vs. Sir Galahad (The Order: 1886)

Delsin Rowe is the protagonist of Second Son, the latest entry in the inFamous series. In inFamous you play as a conduit, a person who gains superpowers and has to choose whether to harness them for good or evil. Delsin is a rebel, a fun-loving guy with a passion for graffiti and a distaste for authority, who gets his call to action when he finds out he has the power to absorb other conduits' powers. When his reservation is attacked by the totalitarian DUP, Delsin sets off to the occupied Seattle to try and gain the powers necessary to save them (and possibly liberate Seattle in the process). Why add Delsin to this game? Why thank you for asking! There are so many reasons to add him, so let me list off just some: cool powerset (he can control smoke, neon, video and concrete, and technically he's a power copier so he could be our equivalent to Kirby and steal his opponents' moves); cool weapon (he fights with a chain infused with elemental powers that he can fashion into swords, gauntlets, and more); a great personality (imo the best protagonist in inFamous); inFamous is the flagship franchise for Sucker Punch and really deserves a character; and diversity (he's Native American).

Sir Galahad, in contrast, hails not from an established franchise but from a one-off third-person shooter by Ready at Dawn and Sony Santa Monica. Galahad, as his name implies, is one of the Knights of the Round Table, except in this steampunk universe this means he's part of an elite squad of unaging warriors that hunt half-breeds, half human and half monster abominations. Why add Galahad? Well, we ended up adding Ratchet & Clank as our shooter reps and Radec hasn't come back so I think there's room for a human shooter character, and Galahad has cool steampunk weapons and a dapper moustache so that makes him better than most candidates (he's like the Captain Price of the Industrial Revolution). But mainly the reason to add him is because he's Delsin's rival, not gonna lie...

So let's get to the rivalry! Delsin and Galahad are basically polar opposites in terms of philosophy. Delsin is a free spirit, a man who believes that safety and order aren't worth much if you have to surrender your freedom to get it, and he spends his entire game fighting against a government organization that has suppressed the people; Galahad is the definition of the establishment, a man who has spent his life quelling rebellions in the name of king and country (he gets better but still endures great personal hardships in the name of the Order). Galahad's job is to fight humans with extraordinary abilities, which Delsin is and has been persecuted for. The rivalry writes itself. In Galahad's arcade mode, he would encounter Delsin and, having heard of the rebel that's been going around destroying government structures, he decides to put a stop to him. In Delsin's mode, he stumbles upon Galahad, who, upon seeing his powers, dubs him a half-breed and starts to threaten him. Delsin, after a couple of his trademark quips, retaliates.

I'd like to give honorable mentions to Joel, Sam Porter-Bridges and Deacon St. John who were almost in my submission.

Top Bottom