• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My nomination is for nobody.

There are only 2 slots left in the roster: the last first party and the last third party. Restricting today's nominations to villains is going to leave more deserving heroes out in the cold.

If we nominate a villainous first party, we would be excluding characters like Iota from Tearaway, Selene from Returnal, the LocoRoco or the Patapon.
If we nominate a villainous third party, we would be excluding characters like Snake from Metal Gear, Alucard from Castlevania, Amaterasu from Okami or Filbo goddamn Fiddlepie.

That's why my nomination is to leave the slot empty, so that neither of these precious, definitive placements in the roster will be wasted on a villain we don't really need.
Many characters like the ones you mentioned will be left out anyway, what with there only being two slots left. We had the wildcard vote yesterday so that any character had the chance to get in, and most of the characters you mentioned weren't even proposed. You say we don't need more villains, and you're entitled to thinking that, but we don't need anything, and the villain prompt was well received when it was proposed.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My nomination is for nobody.

There are only 2 slots left in the roster: the last first party and the last third party. Restricting today's nominations to villains is going to leave more deserving heroes out in the cold.

If we nominate a villainous first party, we would be excluding characters like Iota from Tearaway, Selene from Returnal, the LocoRoco or the Patapon.
If we nominate a villainous third party, we would be excluding characters like Snake from Metal Gear, Alucard from Castlevania, Amaterasu from Okami or Filbo goddamn Fiddlepie.

That's why my nomination is to leave the slot empty, so that neither of these precious, definitive placements in the roster will be wasted on a villain we don't really need.
That's fair; I just thought that there was a decent amount of enthusiasm when the concept was first brought up, and even if there wasn't a villain nomination, there'd still only be about two spots left (at least for the base game) - certainly not enough to include all of those characters. Up until Ultimate, Smash was criticized for not having many playable villains, and yet even Brawl might have had more playable villains than what we currently have (Heihachi, Pyramid Head, Sweet Tooth, Dr. Nefarious), depending on how you look at the likes of Wario, Meta Knight, and Dedede.

There's a reason why characters like Ridley and K. Rool had such long-lasting support for Smash - big crossover games like this are often the only chance that we get to play as villains, depending on the genre of the game. If there aren't many nominations, then we'll just go with one of these characters rather than two (I'm not sure if that last spot would have a theme to it, or if it would be another "anything goes" situation), but I wanted to give that concept a chance.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Many characters like the ones you mentioned will be left out anyway, what with there only being two slots left. We had the wildcard vote yesterday so that any character had the chance to get in, and most of the characters you mentioned weren't even proposed. You say we don't need more villains, and you're entitled to thinking that, but we don't need anything, and the villain prompt was well received when it was proposed.
Circumstances were very different back then. The prompt was well received because there were hardly any villains in our roster at all, and there were still plenty of slots available after the fact.
But now that there are only two slots remaining, why make it a law that at least one of them must be a villain? Just because our roster has fewer villains than Brawl doesn't mean that villains are automatically more deserving of a slot.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So, Um....I'll just do someone a favor and Nominate Cortex into the list, i really had not play any of the other games represented here and some villains i know from series here don't seem workable to me(Negativitron's Too Large and Limbless & Adachi is way too out of this game's own good).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, Um....I'll just do someone a favor and Nominate Cortex into the list, i really had not play any of the other games represented here and some villains i know from series here don't seem workable to me(Negativitron's Too Large and Limbless & Adachi is way too out of this game's own good).
I'm not sure if people missed this (I probably write way too much for my own good, so it was likely buried in there), but the nominations don't have to be from series that are already in the game; you could nominate Sephiroth, or Abby from the Last of Us, or Shang Tsung, or any villain as long as they've been on a PlayStation console and aren't from a licensed/Nintendo/Microsoft game. (though if you still want to nominate Cortex, you can stick with him)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With only four characters nominated, doing a top three seems a little silly, so I'll just put up a poll and include whichever character has the most votes. (so only one will be included)

Seeing as this could potentially give us our twelfth third party character (depending on how things pan out), I don't feel like we can have a character nomination today. (I'm thinking of leaving the next spot open-ended, and I'd hate to do that only to rule out any third party characters that are nominated depending on who wins this current poll)

One thing that we haven't really discussed is new modes. Yokta Yokta brought up a Multi-Man Battle style mode, while GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 brought up a mode where only Supers KO like in the original game, but that was about it. I was wondering if anyone else had ideas for modes that could be in a game like this.

Alternatively, now that there are only a few spots left, we can nominate bosses that characters face at the end of Arcade Mode. (those bosses could also be incorporated into Story Mode if need be, though I'm not sure how much detail we're going to go into on Story Mode) I figure we'd leave a few spots open depending on who gets in later (for example, we could decide on 3 out of 6 of the bosses now and save the other three for later)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That makes no sense. There's no record of not voting, so there's literally no way to prevent one of these characters from being added to the roster and blocking out an entire category of nominations.
Well, that's just how democracies work. If you really don't want any of these characters, you could have just proposed your own character.

This thread is a group project, there's no way every single pick is going to satisfy everyone.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Well, that's just how democracies work. If you really don't want any of these characters, you could have just proposed your own character.

This thread is a group project, there's no way every single pick is going to satisfy everyone.
I couldn't propose my own character because I didn't want any more villains! That's why I specifically nominated to leave the slot vacant. Where was the democracy when we decided that we weren't going to let a non-villain take the slot that would potentially block all first- or third-party characters from the final roster?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I agree that "none of the above" should be an option. I mean, the fact that this category only got 4 nominations in the first place is telling me that people weren't that excited fot this category. Also the fact that Radec is wining is also saying a lot, considering that he barely got any votes when he was nominated for the shooter characters and for the veterans. I'm not saying he's a bad character, but we had two opportunity to add him in the game and barely anybody cared about him (he literally got 0 votes on the veterans job) but now he's dominating the vilain poll because there's not a lot of competition in this category.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I agree that "none of the above" should be an option. I mean, the fact that this category only got 4 nominations in the first place is telling me that people weren't that excited fot this category. Also the fact that Radec is wining is also saying a lot, considering that he barely got any votes when he was nominated for the shooter characters and for the veterans. I'm not saying he's a bad character, but we had two opportunity to add him in the game and barely anybody cared about him (he literally got 0 votes on the veterans job) but now he's dominating the vilain poll because there's not a lot of competition in this category.
People keep bringing up that initial veteran voting like it's the ultimate measurement of popularity when it was explicitly for a big, first reveal of the game, and people were encouraged to vote for characters they thought would be exciting. Note how some characters who didn't get any votes in it like Fat Princess or Spike ended up being quite popular in dedicated veteran voting. Same with the shooter voting: It's unfair to compare most characters with Ratchet and Clank.

I agree that villains aren't a popular topic, especially as we already have some but I don't think Radec winning the pool proves that much.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure if Radec being the one who's currently winning the poll is a sign that people aren't excited for the category, but so far, it hasn't seemed like an especially popular one, so I'll redo the poll with "none of the above" as an option.

With shooters, I left it as-is since it was early on (before we had the big veteran poll), but with so few characters left, I'd rather not force a character into the game if people aren't enthusiastic about it.

If people don't want any of those characters to be included, I'm not sure whether to leave the last spots open to any character or to go with a different theme. If anyone has suggestions for a theme, let me know, but I'm thinking it might be best to leave whatever nominations we have left (whether it's for one character or two) completely open so that people can nominate whichever characters they feel to be missing from the current line-up.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
People keep bringing up that initial veteran voting like it's the ultimate measurement of popularity when it was explicitly for a big, first reveal of the game, and people were encouraged to vote for characters they thought would be exciting. Note how some characters who didn't get any votes in it like Fat Princess or Spike ended up being quite popular in dedicated veteran voting. Same with the shooter voting: It's unfair to compare most characters with Ratchet and Clank.

I agree that villains aren't a popular topic, especially as we already have some but I don't think Radec winning the pool proves that much.
I went back and checked the voting results. Radec was eligible for votes three times. For the reveal veteran and shooter categories, Radec received a third of the votes he would have needed to be added to the roster. For the mass veteran vote, however, Radec did not receive a single vote! Big Daddy received 4 votes in that poll, and yet he wasn't even nominated for this wave of villain votes. Is it not plausible that we as a community would prefer not to have villains in these last slots?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if Radec being the one who's currently winning the poll is a sign that people aren't excited for the category, but so far, it hasn't seemed like an especially popular one, so I'll redo the poll with "none of the above" as an option.

With shooters, I left it as-is since it was early on (before we had the big veteran poll), but with so few characters left, I'd rather not force a character into the game if people aren't enthusiastic about it.

If people don't want any of those characters to be included, I'm not sure whether to leave the last spots open to any character or to go with a different theme. If anyone has suggestions for a theme, let me know, but I'm thinking it might be best to leave whatever nominations we have left (whether it's for one character or two) completely open so that people can nominate whichever characters they feel to be missing from the current line-up.
I think themed is the way to go, it lets us be more varied in our picks. General prompts usually have the biggest characters win (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

As for prompt ideas, I'm just spitballing here: cartoony characters, characters that debuted on the PS5, indie characters, characters from Japanese devs, fighting game characters... That's just what I came up with looking at the roster and seeing what we're short on.

Alternatively, since we have exactly two characters left, we could do another rivalry vote? That would theoretically allow people to include anyone they wanted, albeit with the constraint of one third party and one first party.

I went back and checked the voting results. Radec was eligible for votes three times. For the reveal veteran and shooter categories, Radec received a third of the votes he would have needed to be added to the roster. For the mass veteran vote, however, Radec did not receive a single vote! Big Daddy received 4 votes in that poll, and yet he wasn't even nominated for this wave of villain votes. Is it not plausible that we as a community would prefer not to have villains in these last slots?
You say "we as a community" but so far in the strawpoll the people who voted for a character outnumber the ones that voted for none.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I think themed is the way to go, it lets us be more varied in our picks. General prompts usually have the biggest characters win (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

As for prompt ideas, I'm just spitballing here: cartoony characters, characters that debuted on the PS5, indie characters, characters from Japanese devs, fighting game characters... That's just what I came up with looking at the roster and seeing what we're short on.

Alternatively, since we have exactly two characters left, we could do another rivalry vote? That would theoretically allow people to include anyone they wanted, albeit with the constraint of one third party and one first party.

You say "we as a community" but so far in the strawpoll the people who voted for a character outnumber the ones that voted for none.
By one.

Also, varied picks were well and good back when we had a plethora of open slots, but now that we're down to the last two, why shouldn't they be open to any eligible nomination? This is literally our last chance to get a given character into the base roster, and it's cruel to revoke that chance because they don't adhere to a narrow, arbitrary condition.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And your point is? If you like democracy so much you should know that the majority can be one more than the minority.
This is literally our last chance to get a given character into the base roster, and it's cruel to revoke that chance because they don't adhere to a narrow, arbitrary condition.
Look pal you aren't very convincing using words like cruel and calling votes invalid just because they aren't coming up how you like them. It's just a forum game.

If I were you I'd just let CaptaineCrash do the talking, they're doing a much better job at conveying the argument in a nuanced manner.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
And your point is? If you like democracy so much you should know that the majority can be one more than the minority.
I suppose I'm to blame for using only two words, but that was never the point I was trying to make. A lead of one vote is not a convincing enough margin to formulate an argument, especially when less than half of the voting period has elapsed.

Forum game or not, the only vacancies on the roster are a single first party and a single third party. A significant number of potential nominations will be made ineligible based on who is added next. By restricting that addition to a villain, any non-villain of the same party will have been denied their final opportunity to be nominated.

There is no justifiable reason to have a second round of villain-only voting this late in the roster formation, considering the consequences of such a vote.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We'll see how it goes; I do like the idea of another rivalry nomination, but I don't want to have a poll only to say that those votes don't count. (currently, Radec is ahead of none of the above 4-3, though that could easily change) Either way, tomorrow's nominations are going to be completely open, though whether it's for one fighter, two fighters, or a rivalry is up in the air.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
And another thing: even if we assume that any restriction on nominations would be justifiable at this late stage, why make it villains only?

Does this roster need a fifth villain so badly that we have to establish this restriction at the expense of other candidates who wouldn't have another chance to be nominated? Are four villains somehow not enough? If they are, how many would be an acceptable number?

Unless you genuinely want to see Colonel Radec become the final first-party Playstation character in our roster, I encourage you to vote for "none of the above" in the strawpoll.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I honestly think Radec deserves to have another chance, Killzone was a pretty popular series that most likely was treated with care until the last entry made playstation stop using them similar to Twisted Metal and Sly Cooper. Plus, he did represent the first person shooter genre since Killzone from what i heard does show us different characters to play through their stories.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Unless you genuinely want to see Colonel Radec become the final first-party Playstation character in our roster, I encourage you to vote for "none of the above" in the strawpoll.
To be clear, he wouldn't necessarily be the final first party character in the roster if he wins the poll. The twelve third party characters is a limit that I wanted to stick to, but we don't need to fill all twelve slots. (I just didn't want to risk a massive part of the roster being third party - with a concept like PlayStation All Stars, it seems like it would be extremely easy to go overboard on including third party characters and wind up downplaying Sony's own franchises)

Plus, we might discuss DLC further down the line, though that would probably have to wait until we've gotten things like rivalries and story mode details sorted out. (assuming that there's an interest in getting into detail about story mode; I'm not sure how much interest there is in discussing single player content, given the apathy towards bonus rounds in arcade mode and boss fights)

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
To be clear, he wouldn't necessarily be the final first party character in the roster. The twelve third party characters is a limit that I wanted to stick to, but we don't need to fill all twelve slots. (I just didn't want to risk a massive part of the roster being third party - with a concept like PlayStation All Stars, it seems like it would be extremely easy to go overboard on including third party characters)

Plus, we might discuss DLC further down the line, though that would probably have to wait until we've gotten things like rivalries and story mode details sorted out. (assuming that there's an interest in getting into detail about story mode; I'm not sure how much interest there is in discussing single player content, given the apathy towards bonus rounds in arcade mode and boss fights)
It is true that the last character technically doesn't have to be a third party, but in practice I don't see a first-party character winning in that scenario. If the previous wildcard round was any indication, most of us would prefer to nominate a third-party character if given the opportunity. That's why I've assumed that the next first-party character to be added will be the last.
I don't have anything against Radec or Killzone, but you can't deny restricting the nominations to villains gave him an unfair advantage. Would he be leading the votes, or even receive a nomination at all, if we weren't forced to choose a villain?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It is true that the last character technically doesn't have to be a third party, but in practice I don't see a first-party character winning in that scenario. If the previous wildcard round was any indication, most of us would prefer to nominate a third-party character if given the opportunity. That's why I've assumed that the next first-party character to be added will be the last.
I don't have anything against Radec or Killzone, but you can't deny restricting the nominations to villains gave him an unfair advantage. Would he be leading the votes, or even receive a nomination at all, if we weren't forced to choose a villain?
Admittedly, I had a specific villain category because it had been brought up earlier, and I was expecting more nominations. There were plenty of examples beyond the half-dozen that I mentioned when I brought up the concept - Baldur from God of War, Ripto from Spyro, Father Gascoigne from Bloodborne, Shang Tsung or Shao Khan from Mortal Kombat, the Boss or Liquid Ocelot (or even Big Boss) from Metal Gear, Jecht from Final Fantasy X, a villain from inFamous (assuming that there's one with superpowers; I haven't played those games), maybe even Raven from Gravity Rush (from what I've seen, she's an antagonist for part of the game, which tends to be enough for Smash to lump Meta Knight and Dark Pit into the villains category) - but nobody nominated any of them.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Admittedly, I had a specific villain category because it had been brought up earlier, and I was expecting more nominations. There were plenty of examples beyond the half-dozen that I mentioned when I brought up the concept - Ripto from Spyro, Father Gascoigne from Bloodborne, Shang Tsung or Shao Khan from Mortal Kombat, the Boss or Liquid Ocelot (or even Big Boss) from Metal Gear, Jecht from Final Fantasy X, a villain from inFamous (assuming that there's one with superpowers; I haven't played those games), maybe even Raven from Gravity Rush (I think she's an antagonist for part of the game, which tends to be enough for Smash to lump Meta Knight and Dark Pit into the villains category) - but nobody nominated any of them.
I was surprised that nobody went with Vergil. He seemed like the most natural for the category. I guess we might be waiting for DLC to make him playable, as is tradition.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I was surprised that nobody went with Vergil. He seemed like the most natural for the category. I guess we might be waiting for DLC to make him playable, as is tradition.
i think no one suggested him because in the 5th game he turned over a new leaf?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Radec got even more votes overnight, winding up with 50% of the total votes, so he'll be included.

For the 36th character, this will be another case where pretty much anything goes - no Nintendo, Microsoft, or non-video-game franchises, obviously, but I figure it's best not to restrict people in this case. (sticking with a theme seems like it would work better when there's the option for two characters rather than just one)

I'll save my nomination for later; I felt bad last time because it seemed like I took the character that quite a few people wanted to nominate before anyone else got the chance, so I'll wait and see if the character that I have in mind gets nominated or not.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm going to nominate the sinner from Freedom wars one last time.

I'm going to do something a little bit different. Instead of trying to push one last big third party, I'm going to nominate a more random first party characters. The first game as Fat princess as the more "random characters from a small game" and we still don't have that type of character on the newcomer. I had many idea for this one like Monroe from The unfinished swan, a golfer from Everybody's golf or Lil and Larg from Escape plan, but they didn't have a lot of moveset potential. Finally, I end up with:
The sinner from Freedom wars
View attachment 314372

What is Freedom wars?
Freedom wars is an action rpg developped by Japan studio exclusively for the Ps vita. The game take place in a dystopian future in the year 102104. The world as come to ruin, so people in this world live in underground cities called Panopticons. In this society, overpopulation is such a big problem that living is now a crime. You control a customisable character (called the sinner) who had received a sentence of 1,000,000 years for the crime of living. To regained their rights, players need to fight huge robots named Abductors to protect the city and the civilians. The game was one of the most succesful first party game in Japan for the ps vita. Since the character is customisable, you can choose to be a male or a female.

How do they fight?
They use a variety of weapons in Freedom wars, and most of them would work easily in All stars. The main gimmick is that the character has a grappling whip. In Freedom wars, it's purpose is to jump to higher areas or pull enemies. It could attract enemies in All stars. The characters also used a big variety of weapon like swords, spears, hammers, snipers, machine guns, handgun, laser guns, flamethrower, rocket launchers etc. There's also other items like mines and grenades. This mix of long ranged weapons and short ranged combat would be pretty unique to All stars.

Since the game is relatively obscure, I will end with a link for a gameplay trailer of the game so people can see what the game looks like and what the characters can do in action.
Like I said on the original post, we still don't have a more "random" character and this is our last spot and I don't really see that type of characters being a dlc. They also got way more votes than what I expected so I'm glad people seems to liked them despite being pretty obscure.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Radec got even more votes overnight, winding up with 50% of the total votes, so he'll be included.

For the 36th character, this will be another case where pretty much anything goes - no Nintendo, Microsoft, or non-video-game franchises, obviously, but I figure it's best not to restrict people in this case. (sticking with a theme seems like it would work better when there's the option for two characters rather than just one)

I'll save my nomination for later; I felt bad last time because it seemed like I took the character that quite a few people wanted to nominate before anyone else got the chance, so I'll wait and see if the character that I have in mind gets nominated or not.
it's okay to feel sorry, when we make some decisions like that it makes some people unhappy. Hopefully if you decide to do DLC next time you'll do things right.

I'll also re-nominate one of my old suggestions for this final round, The Survivor

1618775194597.png

1618775214090.png

1618775224130.png

1618775231199.png

The Survivor from Dead By Daylight

The Survivor is a victim sent into the realm of the Entity, who throws various people into it's realm were they try to survive from a serial killer sent by the being. the group of survivors ranged from a large number of characters though originally this game started with 4 survivors which are who i choose to represent here(i'd probably throw in four more characters but no licenses), the main survivor would be Dwight or Jake as the default character while the others you can switch in the menu similar to alternate costumes, they aren't great for fighting, but their arsenal would be based on various perks and items from their home game.

Dead by Daylight first appeared on PC until it later was ported onto other consoles including PS4, while it isn't one of the most popular games even on the Playstation Side it has become more recognizably popular to the horror genre and is still generating some support.

If Dead by Daylight were to ever get anything playable representation they likely use a Killer, however, i feel the survivor could work as well since adding a killer would mean picking one out of all the unique ones were as the survivors all play the same and they'd try to be creative with them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok for this one it was between Tomba(old school PS1), Nariko(Never really got justice in this thread), and this choice, but my final character i will go with is:
Sekiro | Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Wiki

Wolf or
Sekiro
He will use both the mortal blade and also prostetics arms to help him in battle. He could also be rivals to Jin or The hunter!!!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to compare the characters in the roster in terms of which Playstation console they debuted in, and here are the results:

-Kratos (God of War)
-Sackboy (LittleBigPlanet)
-Nathan Drake (Uncharted)

-PaRappa (PaRappa the Rapper)
-Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
-Dart Feld (The Legend of Dragoon)

-The Hunter (Bloodborne)
-Kat (Gravity Rush)
-Astro (Astro's Playroom)
-Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn)
-Jin Sakai (Ghost of Tsushima)

-Ratchet and Clank (Ratchet and Clank)
-Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
-Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)

-Fat Princess (Fat Princess)
-Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
-Sir Daniel Fortesque (MediEvil)
-Spike (Ape Escape)

-Jak and Daxter (Jak and Daxter)
-Dante (from the Devil May Cry series)

-Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
-Toro Inoue (Doko Demo Issyo)
-Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
-Spyro the Dragon (Spyro the Dragon)

-Ellen Reid (Folklore)
-Abe (Oddworld)
-2B (Nier Automata)
-Knack (Knack)

-Cole MacGrath (inFamous)
-Jesse Faden (Control)
-Chloe Frazer (Uncharted)
-Dr. Nefarious (Ratchet and Clank)
-Yu Narukami (Persona 4)

-Colonel Radec (Killzone)
PS1 is red, PS2 is blue, PS3 is yellow, PS4 is green and handheld consoles are purple. Anyone feel free to correct me on any mistakes, I'm not familiar with all the characters we added. Anyway, assuming I did correctly, this gives me these numbers:
PS1 = 11
PS2 =9
PS3 = 6
PS4 = 7
PSP/PSV = 2

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting old consoles to outnumber the new ones this much. It also reminded me how little content handheld games have in terms of playable characters. I was previously going to propose bringing Nariko or Emmett back but I decided to change it with a PSP character:

1620920340678.png

Kulche from LocoRoco

LocoRoco is a puzzle-platform video game released for the PSP. It's a game where you tilt the environment to tilt jelly-like LocoRocos through levels, avoiding hazards and enemies. It's a series that was more successful than most people would expect despite its humble sales, getting multiple sequels and two remasters, thanks to its effective soundtrack and visuals. It already has a stage and Kulche was one of the considered characters for the first game. As Franzea no longer have him act in the background in an important way, I thought it would be a fair game to give him both playable and stage cameo roles.

As for Kulche as a fighter, he fills some gaps in our current newcomer lineup. Aside from the aforementioned handheld representation, he's also an unexpected fighter with a highly distinct (if very simple) design. LocoRoco is not an action-oriented game but this doesn't mean that Kulche can't fight. He can be a big, heavy fighter who has high survivability but also a vulnerability to combos. He can change his size for certain attacks and can split/rejoin similar to Knack. He can also shapeshift for certain attacks and create LocoRoco stage elements to help him jump and roll on the battlefield with ease.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The last character: Sora

Sora and Kingdom Hearts should need no introduction, so let me get straight to what he can do and why he should be added.

Anyone who's played Kingdom Hearts knows that Sora has an insane arsenal of powers, abilities and weapons. Too many, in fact; he would probably require a distillation on the level of Dante. Still, just to inform the uninformed, here's a non-exhaustive list of what Sora could bring to a fighting game:
  • Magic - lots of it
  • Gliding
  • Switching between multiple Keyblades (maybe some with original, PS-inspired designs)
  • Drive Forms (basically a stance system)
  • Shotlocks (a first-person reticule where you mark as many opponents as you can before unleashing a powerful attack - definitely a Super)
  • Flowmotion (parkour on steroids, allowing Sora to chain jumps from surface to surface and even run up walls)
  • Formchanges (a similar system to Drive Forms but it changes depending on the Keyblade)
  • Attraction Flow (Sora summons stuff like rollercoasters and carousels to attack - probably Super material)
  • Skateboarding!

Kingdom Hearts is one of the biggest RPG franchise with a very dedicated following. It's also strongly linked with PlayStation, originating on the PS2 and having many of its biggest games as exclusives (KHII and Birth By Sleep), not to mention all the collections being made for PlayStation and only debuting on other platforms later, if at all. He would function as a rep for that fondly remembered PS1-PS2 Square Enix RPG era that is partially credited for the success of PlayStation. Sora would be a huge character to go out on, a true internet breaker to show the world this is a game to be taken seriously.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The last character: Sora

Sora and Kingdom Hearts should need no introduction, so let me get straight to what he can do and why he should be added.

Anyone who's played Kingdom Hearts knows that Sora has an insane arsenal of powers, abilities and weapons. Too many, in fact; he would probably require a distillation on the level of Dante. Still, just to inform the uninformed, here's a non-exhaustive list of what Sora could bring to a fighting game:
  • Magic - lots of it
  • Gliding
  • Switching between multiple Keyblades (maybe some with original, PS-inspired designs)
  • Drive Forms (basically a stance system)
  • Shotlocks (a first-person reticule where you mark as many opponents as you can before unleashing a powerful attack - definitely a Super)
  • Flowmotion (parkour on steroids, allowing Sora to chain jumps from surface to surface and even run up walls)
  • Formchanges (a similar system to Drive Forms but it changes depending on the Keyblade)
  • Attraction Flow (Sora summons stuff like rollercoasters and carousels to attack - probably Super material)
  • Skateboarding!

Kingdom Hearts is one of the biggest RPG franchise with a very dedicated following. It's also strongly linked with PlayStation, originating on the PS2 and having many of its biggest games as exclusives (KHII and Birth By Sleep), not to mention all the collections being made for PlayStation and only debuting on other platforms later, if at all. He would function as a rep for that fondly remembered PS1-PS2 Square Enix RPG era that is partially credited for the success of PlayStation. Sora would be a huge character to go out on, a true internet breaker to show the world this is a game to be taken seriously.
My main concern with Sora is that, as far as I can tell, he's owned by Disney, much like Spider-Man. (everything in Kingdom Hearts is copyrighted by Disney aside from what's specifically credited to Square-Enix and other parties like Edgar Rice Burroughs, and that seems to include the Kingdom Hearts original characters)

I'm willing to allow it if people are fine with it (while Disney's track record with keeping Marvel games around isn't great, and even games based on Disney's own properties have been delisted at points, it's not like they've taken down older Star Wars games that were made before they bought the franchise, and this is just a forum game rather than a serious discussion of who would make it into a PS All Stars sequel), but it seems like an unusual gray area, so I feel like it's worth getting more opinions on it.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
My choice for the last nomination is difficult. My original plan was to come out of nowhere with a nomination for Jonesy from Fortnite, but in my heart I feel like Filbo deserves another nomination.

images (10).jpeg
FilboCard.png
You may be wondering why I would nominate anything from Fortnite, considering that I'm not a fan of the game and I don't know anything about it beyond the most viral memes. In fact, up until recently I hated this franchise more than anything else in gaming. So why even consider Jonesy?

Frankly, Fortnite in Playstation All-Stars just makes sense. Fortnite is most popular on Playstation platforms and has already crossed over with tons of franchises itself. If there's a Playstation All-Stars 2, Jonesy's addition would be inevitable whether we like it or not. Personally, I'd rather see him featured in the base game than added in a much sparser DLC wave. Besides, wouldn't you agree that it makes more sense to feature him here than in Smash Bros?

That was my initial reasoning for nominating Jonesy, but with it coming down to the last slot of the roster, I'm torn between nominating him or Filbo.

My reasoning for wanting to nominate Filbo is the direct opposite of Jonesy: Bugsnax isn't a popular, marketable game, but I WANT TO PLAY AS FILBO GRUMPDANGIT. That is to say, I really like the characters of Filbo and the Grumpuses and I reckon they would be a stand-out addition to the roster. They have a unique arsenal of traps and gadgets for zoning and manipulating enemies, they're animated in a unique puppet-like fashion, and they're brimming with personality. It's been really frustrating to see them receive so many votes every time they were nominated, only to fall short every time. If we didn't count characters who are already in the roster, Filbo would have the most votes in all three rounds. It's about time he got what he deserved.

As I am unable to decide between logic and feelings, I will cheat and leave my nomination up to public vote.
My nomination, as chosen by this poll with a score of 4 to 1, is Filbo.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The obvious argument against them is that the game isn't even officially out yet and that they were never directly on PlayStation, which I really can't argue against; however with interest from the devs of FNF I'm certain it'll come to PlayStation some day, and technically DmC was still in development when DmC Dante got in.
I figured that "must be on a PlayStation console" went without saying; it would be weird to have a game called PlayStation All Stars where one of the characters has never actually been on a PlayStation console. (also, DmC: Devil May Cry had already been announced for PlayStation 3 at the time, and I'm not sure if that's the best example to cite in general given the reaction that its inclusion was met with) Unless a PS5 port is announced in the next twelve hours, I'd suggest nominating a different character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom