• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Nintendo Illumination Canon

I'm still looking for VAs for the following:
  • Tatl and Tael
  • Biggoron
  • Romani
  • Mikau
  • Japas
  • Lulu
Also, I would personally prefer to have different actresses for Tatl and Tael. Not different from each other, but different from Navi, if you don't mind.

Now, because of the incomplete casting couch, I will extend the deadline to Friday. Just note that the casting that has been pitched already has me intrigued.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Perfect timing since there now plans for a Illumation Legend Of Zelda Movie
Japas- Jon Heder
Mikau- Joseph Gordon Levitt
Lulu- Kylie McNeill (Belle Movie)
Tatl- Hailee Steinfield
Tael- Erica Mendez(Gon from HunterXHunter)
Romani- Child Actress
Biggoron- Bill Fagerbakke (Patrick Star)

First, I'm glad Illumination is actually making a Zelda movie now. If that works with critics and audiences like Mario did, then no property can be declared "unfitting" for the studio's Nintendo deal. Those in the audience who wanted to exclude Pokemon, consider this your wake-up call from reality. I apologize for my stern tone, but if they can properly adapt Zelda with only minor nitpicks from the fans, who knows what can follow them.

Now, let's reveal the final cast for Majora's Mask:

Link: Connor Fielding (Veteran VA)
Skull Kid: Richard Horvitz
Tatl: Hailee Steinfield
Tael: Erica Mendez
Happy Mask Salesman: Bill Skarsgard
Tingle: Josh Gad
Mikau: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Biggoron: Bill Fagerbakke
Japas: Jon Heder
Lulu: Kylie McNeill
Romani: Piper Nyman
Postman: Karan Soni
Captain Keeta: Frank Welker

If you want, here are my reasons for picking these voices:
-I was initially unsure why you would want Richard Horvitz as Skull Kid. But then I imagined the voices of both Zim and Billy coming out of that guy's mind, so count me in for that.
-The fact that Pizza Robo Pizza Robo managed to actually find two different actresses for both Tatl and Tael, while also making them distinct from Navi's VA choice, is the kind of thing that keeps me going through this creation game.
-Jim Carrey is a bigger name than Bill Skarsgard, bar none. However, this is different from his usual roles, because this is more of a bit part. You name another portrayal of his, it's likely the protagonist or antagonist. The Happy Mask Salesman is neither of those, which could make his reveal more surprising.
-Olaf as Tingle. Makes perfect sense to me.
-Getting the lead of Treasure Planet to do work on a Zelda feature may very well reinvigorate the former's fandom. You have been warned.
-I find it odd how the voice of Patrick is in the same movie as a race of fish people, yet does not play one. Eh, it's not the species that matters in this case.
-Getting the Critical Role fans in the multiplex? Bold statement if you subscribe to the rumor that the 80s Zelda cartoon was partially based on D&D games the showrunner's daughter made.
-Being in a Zelda movie would be another feather in Kylie's cap, which would be a good thing for any aspiring actor or actress.
-You guys may not have heard of Piper Nyman before. Well, by the time this movie would have been released, she would be 18 years old. I'd say she technically qualifies under the "child actress" request for Romani's voice.
-When it came to choose between Doug Jones or Karan Soni, it was honestly a tough decision to make. Ultimately, Karan's part in the Spider-Verse sequels was what did it.
-Normally, I would turn away from Frank Welker doing another character. But Polterpup doesn't speak, so this would be Welker's voice that has him use words instead of growls. That's the loophole I'm sticking with, and it's the loophole you guys were thinking of. At least, I hope you were.

After I post this comment and edit the OP of this game, it would appear to be time for the next job.

Job #25: Extra Details for Majora's Mask
You guys know the drill for this. Suggest any ideas for extra details for the movie. At this stage, I'll even begin accepting hints at crossovers, provided said crossovers come from the franchises we already plan to cover, or have already covered beforehand.

You have until Tuesday. You don't want to meet with a terrible fate, don't you?

Update: I forgot that Jim Carrey plays Waluigi. Looks like Bill Skarsgard is the Happy Mask Salesman, after all.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Scene Ideas
  • Having the moon getting more and more close to crashing down (maybe in the background)
  • The entire Twinmold fight except after getting the Giant's Mask, Link fights both worms at the same time with said worms putting up a very good fight (like a giant kaiju battle)
  • Fierce Deity Link vs Majora seems obvious for the finale
  • Skull Kid gaining a friendship with Link after being freed from Majora

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Scene Ideas
  • Link dancing the Camaro Dance
  • Link playing the song of time
  • The Lost Woods and Great Bay appearing
  • Link going to the milk bar

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Link tries on the Deku Mask,Goron Mask,and Zora Mask
ReDeads Dancing scene
Link shoots Tingle out of the sky

Okay, time's up. Let's see what you've sent me.
Scene Ideas
  • Having the moon getting more and more close to crashing down (maybe in the background)
  • The entire Twinmold fight except after getting the Giant's Mask, Link fights both worms at the same time with said worms putting up a very good fight (like a giant kaiju battle)
  • Fierce Deity Link vs Majora seems obvious for the finale
  • Skull Kid gaining a friendship with Link after being freed from Majora
Honestly, all four of these sound SO sick. The moon increasing in perspective as a background detail, a kaiju battle in a Zelda movie, and Skull Kid befriending Link are particularly great.
Scene Ideas
  • Link dancing the Camaro Dance
  • Link playing the song of time
  • The Lost Woods and Great Bay appearing
  • Link going to the milk bar
The Camaro Dance might be a bit too obscure. But I don't know anything about that, so I'm not going to let that be the judge. Those four are also getting in. Just as long as "Link gets drunk" is only the punchline to one joke in the movie. This is still an Illumination movie based on a Nintendo 64 game.
Link tries on the Deku Mask,Goron Mask,and Zora Mask
ReDeads Dancing scene
Link shoots Tingle out of the sky
Trying on those three masks is why I had Biggoron and Mikau mentioned in the casting couch, so of course that stays. But dancing Redeads and Tingle being shot out of the sky would be fantastic things for the fans to see. They all stay.

Wow. Eleven pitches for what goes into the movie itself, and I agree with all of them. Most of them I would even add without a second thought.

Good job, people. Hit the showers. We'll cover the Metroid feature tomorrow.

Alright. Here's the next job.

Job #26: Choosing the Metroid For You
Despite the title, I am not trusting you with any intergalactic species from Zebes or Brinstar. That's Professor Oak's job.

Rather, I am letting you guys choose which style of games you want to see get adapted.

Option A: 2D Metroid (OG NES game, Return of Samus, Super Metroid)
Option B: 3D Metroid (AKA: Metroid Prime)

Admittedly, I do expect Metroid Prime to be the clear winner, so please explain why you would choose Option A or Option B in this case.

You have until Saturday to vote. Get cracking!

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
I was thinking that we should have Option B but later make a Zero Mission movie for the origins of Samus

D

Deleted member

I feel an expanded version of the super metorid plot but with some prime elements works. You want all the iconic imagery like ridley, mother brain, kriad

Okay, time's up.
I'll go with option A - because we should start adapting the 2D games. We should go with game release order.
(I'm sorry if it sounds illogical)
I was thinking that we should have Option B but later make a Zero Mission movie for the origins of Samus
I feel an expanded version of the super metorid plot but with some prime elements works. You want all the iconic imagery like ridley, mother brain, kriad
I vote for 2D Metroid
Voting for 2D Metroid because it has gotten more love with Samus Returns and Dread
2D version
I'm surprised at the choices. A 66% majority of the votes went specifically to 2D Metroid, with reasons like game release order and the existence of Metroid Dread. And that one-third minority actually had the most creativity.

Unfortunately, because I had only mapped out one Metroid film before the first season of the Super Smash Bros. series, I will be selecting @DarkVortex's submission of an adaptation of Super Metroid with elements of Metroid Prime added for posterity.

Now, then...
Job #27: Metroid Voice Cast
Since the plot is roughly 90% Super Metroid and 10% Metroid Prime, I think the Metroid fans of this creation thread would already know how the storyline would play out for this movie. So I would take the opportunity to discuss the voice cast instead.

I am looking for the voices of the following characters:
  • Samus Aran (No duh)
  • Ridley
  • Mother Brain
  • Kraid
  • Baby Metroid
  • Adam Malkovich
A rather small amount of characters, but given how few and far between a recurring character is in the source material, it allows for a lot more silence than your average animated film.

You have until Wednesday to fill in voices for these characters.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Now, hear me out...

Samus Aran - Michelle Yeoh
Ridley - Mark Hamill(Roars done by Dee Bradley Baker as well)
Mother Brain - Judi Dench
Kraid - Dee Bradley Baker(No speaking lines, only roars)
Baby Metroid - N/A(Voiceless)
Adam Malkovich - Thomas Haden Church

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Samus Aran: Brie Larson
Ridley: Benedict Cumberbatch
Mother Brain: Sigourney Weaver
Kraid: Jim Pirri
Adam Malkovich: Harrison Ford

The deadline has come. Let's take a look.
Now, hear me out...

Samus Aran - Michelle Yeoh
Ridley - Mark Hamill(Roars done by Dee Bradley Baker as well)
Mother Brain - Judi Dench
Kraid - Dee Bradley Baker(No speaking lines, only roars)
Baby Metroid - N/A(Voiceless)
Adam Malkovich - Thomas Haden Church
Ridley: Benedict Cumberbatch
Kraid: Jim Pirri
Both of you have come up with some very good selections, thus making it hard to properly choose.

With that admission out of the way, our cast for the Metroid movie shall be...

Ridley: Mark Hamill
Kraid / Ridley's Roars: Dee Bradley Baker
Baby Metroid: N/A

Don't get me wrong about those I didn't pick. It WAS hard to decide these. On the other hand:
  • Michelle Yeoh has a career in both action flicks and animated films, but Brie Larson literally expressed a desire to play Samus Aran.
  • Benedict Cumberbatch could work for Ridley's more humane side, being the one that can talk, but Mark Hamill has portrayed the occasional part of the Cunning God of Death's psyche where his intelligence and his primal urges collide with terrorizing intent. Just watch the flashback in Return of the Joker for definite proof.
  • Yes, Jim Pirri has had roles where he can speak, but since we don't even know if Kraid is capable of speech like Ridley is, I feel it's best to just have him communicate with growls and roars. If Kraid HAS spoken before, please feel free to tell me.
  • If I wanted to go for a more sophisticated villainess angle, like Mother Gothel or Maleficent, then I would have gone with Judi Dench. But Samus was blatantly inspired by Ellen Ripley, which is just about the only evidence needed in the opposing side.
  • If I was familiar with less egotistical characters within Thomas Haden Church's acting portfolio, then I wouldn't have minded. And yet, being in a Metroid adaptation with both Mark Hamil and Sigourney Weaver would be enough of a change of pace for Harrison Ford to go back into the sci-fi genre.
Great choices, but I wanted to consider prior history with the characters and/or settings with my choice.

Job #28: Extra Details for the Metroid Movie
Submit anything you'd like to see in this movie. Just as long as ONE crossover nod gets in the submissions pile. It's been long enough to start actually tying the knots among universes by now.

You have until Sunday to wrack your brains.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
A post credits stinger scene showing a pool of Phazon bubbling and taking form with a humanoid arm coming out before cutting to black foreshadowing Dark Samus.

(Since the Metroid film we're doing has Prime elements)

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Samus gets revealed as a female at the end of the movie.

Cameos of Kirby and Mario, because Samus appeared in those games.

Samus's ship landing in Mute City, foreshadowing an F-Zero movie.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
A Scene with Samus turning into a Ball

Post Credit where Master Hand shows up and grabs Samus's Ship

It is now Sunday. And may I add that Pizza Robo Pizza Robo got here at the knick of time.
A post credits stinger scene showing a pool of Phazon bubbling and taking form with a humanoid arm coming out before cutting to black foreshadowing Dark Samus.

(Since the Metroid film we're doing has Prime elements)
Samus gets revealed as a female at the end of the movie.

Cameos of Kirby and Mario, because Samus appeared in those games.

Samus's ship landing in Mute City, foreshadowing an F-Zero movie.
A Scene with Samus turning into a Ball

Post Credit where Master Hand shows up and grabs Samus's Ship
The post-credits scene that hints at Dark Samus is a great idea. But I figure the followup to that scene would take too long to pay off, unfortunately. I really like it, but it might not be feasible.

I mean, Brie Larson's Samus voice could be seen as monotone, so paying tribute to that reveal would actually be neat to see on film.

Samus turning into the Morph Ball? Heck yes.

Cameos from Kirby and Mario? Of course. Coincidentally, that suggestion came after the announcement of a Super Mario RPG remake.

How about we have Master Hand grab Samus's ship and then land it in Mute City? Would that work for the post-credits sequence.

Technically, we're doing an F-Zero series, not a movie. But the exciting hint still stands here.

In short, the Dark Samus tease is the only one of these I would cut entirely from the list. The other ideas could be put in just fine.

Well done, guys and girls.

Job #29: Submit Your Cast for EarthBound
This casting job is trickier than the rest. But it is to select a proper cast for the EarthBound feature film adaptation in the works. And by "in the works", I'm specifically talking about this particular game.

Luckily, it's even easier to craft a plot around this game than it is for most of the other ones. Just adapt the source material.

As such, it's another "cast in favor of plot" cycles.
  • Ness
  • Paula
  • Jeff Andonuts
  • Poo
  • Pokey Minch
  • Giygas
  • Buzz-Buzz
  • Mr. Saturn
  • Master Belch
  • Dr. Andonuts
  • Ness's Father
  • Flying Man
You have until Friday to cover all these voices. Fuzzy pickles!

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Ness: Bryce Gheisar
Paula: McKenna Grace
Jeff: Hudson West
Poo: Albert Tsai
Pokey Minch: Dylan Gage
Giygas: Matthew Mercer
Buzz Buzz: Patrick Stewart
Mr. Saturn: Rob Paulson
Dr. Andonuts: Nick Kroll

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Porky Minch: Richard Steve Hortiz
Giygas: Kevin Micheal Richardson
Buzz Buzz: Charlie Dagleish(under intense amounts of autotune)
Master Belch: Jim Cummings
Ness' Father: Ryan Stiles
Flying Man: Gaius Charles

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Porky Minch - Trey Parker using his Cartman Voice
Master Belch- Fred Tatasciore
Dr. Andonuts- Patton Oswalt

Okey. The deadline's up.

Pokey Minch: Dylan Gage
Buzz Buzz: Patrick Stewart
Mr. Saturn: Rob Paulson
Porky Minch: Richard Steve Hortiz
Giygas: Kevin Micheal Richardson
Buzz Buzz: Charlie Dagleish(under intense amounts of autotune)
Porky Minch - Trey Parker using his Cartman Voice
Master Belch- Fred Tatasciore
Dr. Andonuts- Patton Oswalt
And the cast shall be:

Pokey Minch: Trey Parker
Buzz Buzz: Patrick Stewart (through autotune)
Mr. Saturn: Rob Paulsen

Well, at least all of these actors haven't been in a Nintendo movie before. And yet, the choices to make Pokey Minch sound like Cartman, using autotune for Buzz Buzz's VA, give Matt Mercer a less mainstream Nintendo baddie to work with, and casting Jim and Rob in any Nintendo adaptation, are inspired decisions.

And if you are asking why Patrick Stewart is a futuristic bee, not only was that not my suggestion, but he voiced the poop emoji once. Only place left is to go up.

We'll cover the extra details tomorrow. I'm sizzling in this heat outside.

Sorry for missing the deadline.

Job #30: Extra Details for EarthBound
You guys know what this should entail. Bonus references and a handful of crossover cameos galore.

You have until Wednesday. PK Fire!

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Photo Man scene with Fuzzy Pickles line.

Eating food out of garbage cans.

Cameos from E Gadd (Andonuts) and Baby Metroid (Mr. Saturn)

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
A Scene with Retro New Age Hippie

Dr. Andonuts mentioning the time Jeff wets the bed

Ness's Little Sister Tracy having a Part Time Job

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Giygas revealing its true form looking incredibly psychedelic and full on uncanny valley

(Giygas shifting and warping a lot, red faces with gaping mouths everywhere looking like as if the entire room was corrupted, picture a scene like this during the final)

Alright, let's sift through this stuff.
Photo Man scene with Fuzzy Pickles line.

Eating food out of garbage cans.

Cameos from E Gadd (Andonuts) and Baby Metroid (Mr. Saturn)
A Scene with Retro New Age Hippie

Dr. Andonuts mentioning the time Jeff wets the bed

Ness's Little Sister Tracy having a Part Time Job
Giygas revealing its true form looking incredibly psychedelic and full on uncanny valley

(Giygas shifting and warping a lot, red faces with gaping mouths everywhere looking like as if the entire room was corrupted, picture a scene like this during the final)
I'm actually keeping all these in the movie. A new personal record for this kind of job.

The next session comes on Friday. Get ready.

Technically, it's still Friday where I'm at.

Job #31: Premise for the F-Zero Series
Yes, for those who need a reminder, this will be a new series based on F-Zero.

The problem is trying to figure out which aspect to adapt. The first game? F-Zero X or GX? A reboot of GP Legend? Something new entirely?

I'm letting you guys decide how to take this, because I can't choose.

You have until Thursday. That's 5-6 days to decide how to take this season, depending on your time zone.

I gave you guys two extra days by accident, and I still only got "an adaptation of F-Zero GX" and "an original plot" as the suggestions.

As such, we shall be doing an original premise for the F-Zero season. Now then...

Job #32: Write an Original Plot for F-Zero: The Series
For this particular job, I want you to make a new story featuring the F-Zero cast of characters. I also want you to divide the plot into a number of episodes that is over 13 half-hours in length. In short, I want this one season to last a minimum of 14 episodes long at 22 minutes apiece.

Can this be achieved? We shall see by next Monday, since that's your deadline for this job.

Get cracking!

Top Bottom