• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Nintendo Illumination Canon

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Here's my idea with the cast. Shortly after the events of the first movie, Peach's cousin Daisy arrives in the Mushroom Kingdom to ask for aid against a new force lead by Wart. Mario, Luigi, Toad, Toadette, and Peach travel with Daisy to her kingdom of Sarrassalnd via an island filled with friendly dinosaurs (Yoshi's Island) where one takes a liking to the group. Included among Wart's forces is the likes of Mouser, Birdo, Wario and Waluigi.

Right before the credits role, a platinum blond falls out of the sky and begs Mario for his help.

After getting two additional days, this job has finished.

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 suggested:
The Plot:
It's been a few days staying in the Mushroom Kingdom after Mario and Luigi defeated Bowser with the help of their new friends: Peach, Toad, and the Kongs.

However, something's brewing in a world of dreams involving a villainous amphibian with a plot to take over.

While a desert kingdom and a princess in orange seem to need help.

Meanwhile, two certain men of yellow and purple, one lanky, the latter short come into the fray. Very soon... their paths shall collide... two brothers, two princesses, an evil frog, a dreamy land, and purple-yellow men, as well a green dinosaur and a person from the stars.
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap suggested:
The Mushroom Kingdom is transported to space, where Rosalina tells them that Wario and Waluigi are trying to release Wart and his army into the real world. The gang travel throughout space to stop the yellow/purple men, while also finding Yoshi and Daisy.
SmasherMaster SmasherMaster suggested:
Here's my idea with the cast. Shortly after the events of the first movie, Peach's cousin Daisy arrives in the Mushroom Kingdom to ask for aid against a new force lead by Wart. Mario, Luigi, Toad, Toadette, and Peach travel with Daisy to her kingdom of Sarrassalnd via an island filled with friendly dinosaurs (Yoshi's Island) where one takes a liking to the group. Included among Wart's forces is the likes of Mouser, Birdo, Wario and Waluigi.

Right before the credits role, a platinum blond falls out of the sky and begs Mario for his help.
It was tough to choose which plot would be made, but I'm going to select SmasherMaster SmasherMaster 's storyline. It just makes the most sense in-universe.

Job #12: Other Details in SMB 2
This time, we're covering any other details in this sequel. No holds shall be barred, and anything is welcome.

You have until Sunday to do this, but time is just a construct for this game.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Ideas:
A fight between Mario/Luigi vs Wario/Waluigi would be pretty fun.
(Battle between duos, Wario using his abilities from the Land games and Waluigi using spin-off call-backs AKA sports/karts/parties)

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi going up against Birdo, Mouser, Fryguy, Clawgrip, Tryclyde
(5 people vs 5 people)

Yoshi Island having lots of references to the Yoshi games.
(Yoshi using the transformations, Poochy making an appearance, enemies from Yoshi games, and maybe a boss like Burt or Naval Piranha)

Wario and Waluigi reluctantly joining Mario's team to stop Wart who's the deadlier threat.
(The two would become anti-heroes)

Some kind of meeting scene between King Totomesu, Dragonzamasu, Hiyoihoi, and Biokinton.
(The 4 bosses of each kingdom in Sarasaland who were under Tatanga's control in Super Mario Land)

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Yoshi falls in love with Birdo.

Using the POW block, cursed key and potion.

Meeting Wario and Waluigi in a gold mine.

Happy Mario Movie Launch Day! No spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

Now then, let's tackle the following details:
Ideas:
A fight between Mario/Luigi vs Wario/Waluigi would be pretty fun.
(Battle between duos, Wario using his abilities from the Land games and Waluigi using spin-off call-backs AKA sports/karts/parties)

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi going up against Birdo, Mouser, Fryguy, Clawgrip, Tryclyde
(5 people vs 5 people)

Yoshi Island having lots of references to the Yoshi games.
(Yoshi using the transformations, Poochy making an appearance, enemies from Yoshi games, and maybe a boss like Burt or Naval Piranha)

Wario and Waluigi reluctantly joining Mario's team to stop Wart who's the deadlier threat.
(The two would become anti-heroes)

Some kind of meeting scene between King Totomesu, Dragonzamasu, Hiyoihoi, and Biokinton.
(The 4 bosses of each kingdom in Sarasaland who were under Tatanga's control in Super Mario Land)
A fight between the Marios and Warios would be glorious, especially with Wario and Waluigi using their own expertise.

Mario's gang vs. Birdo's gang would be a good few minutes of popcorn chewing. I, personally, feel like Fryguy, Clawgrip, and Tryclyde would be too obscure to have big roles in the movie.

Yoshi Island incorporating Yoshi transformations, Poochy, and perhaps Burt would be excellent. I approve of that idea.

Wario and Waluigi becoming anti-heroes is a must if we want to bring then back for repeat appearances.

Unfortunately, I would cut the meeting scene with those four bosses. At least the less notable bosses in SMB2 have some fans. These guys don't even have that going for them.
Yoshi falls in love with Birdo.

Using the POW block, cursed key and potion.

Meeting Wario and Waluigi in a gold mine.
Yoshi falling in love with Birdo might work, but there are some Mario fans who think she/he is transgender. Just a warning.

Using the POW block is a necessity, the cursed key would be in it to bring Phanto into the movie, and maybe one or two uses of the potion would do it.

Meeting the Warios in a gold mine is too good. Especially given Mamboo07 Mamboo07 having them fight the Marios and become anti-heroes by the end.

In short, here's what I would keep:
1: Meeting Wario and Waluigi in a gold mine, fighting them while they have their own abilities, and the two begrudgingly joining forces.
2: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Yoshi against Birdo, Mouser, Fryguy, Clawgrip, and Tryclyde.
3: Yoshi falling in love with Birdo.
4: Using the POW block and cursed key, and using the potion once or twice as a nod.
5: Yoshi Island including transformations and Poochy.

Unfortunately, I would cut the four SML bosses from the movie. Maybe a deleted scene in the Blu-Ray release can factor them in.

Tomorrow, we shall tackle Luigi's Mansion. After dealing with that movie, who knows?

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
I highly suggest that you should add an archive on the first post to store all the details about the movies.

Job #13: The Cast of Luigi's Mansion
Charlie Day as Luigi and Willem Dafoe as King Boo are out, as they have already been casted.

That said, you have until Saturday to cast the rest of the characters.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Christopher Lloyd as E Gadd
Frank Welker as Polterpup
Johnny Depp as Boo
Charlie Day as Gooigi

Last edited:
Happy Easter! We only have four suggestions, but that's okay.

Professor E. Gadd: Christopher Lloyd
Polterpup: Frank Welker
Boo (Normal): Johnny Depp
Gooigi: Charlie Day

Adding that to the existing casts for Luigi and King Boo, plus Mario in a few cameos, and we're good on the main cast.

Now then...

Job #14: The Plot of Luigi's Mansion
This time, we're going in a different direction: Which version of the Luigi's Mansion story would you prefer for the movie?
  1. Luigi inherits a luxurious mansion, only for it to be a ruse by King Boo, who has kidnapped Mario inside a painting. Luigi and E. Gadd must save Mario from certain doom before it's too late!
  2. Luigi, Mario, and Peach spend the night at a classy hotel, only for King Boo to take over the establishment. It's up to the three of them, with a little help from Toad and E. Gadd, to thwart his plans.
The first storyline takes from the first two games, while the second takes from Luigi's Mansion 3. Your choice.

You have until Tuesday to decide which premise to use.

Last edited:
I added the voice talents to the first post, but in spoiler form for those new to the game.

And I am ending this job early due to the unanimous vote in favor of Plot #1. We can save the other one for later.

Job #15: Extra Details in Luigi's Mansion
You know the drill. Submit any bonus content you would like to see in the Luigi's Mansion film. You have until Thursday evening to rack your brains.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Alrighty then, scene time!
Scenes:
  • Luigi going into a trophy/safari room with a huge taxidermy of animals and freaks out after said animals start making ungodly noises. I picture him saying that there better be no hunter wanting his head which is a reference to the rumoured Portrait Ghost being a hunter
  • Some little montage of catching the Boos
  • Luigi being too clumsy in the darkness after a blackout happens (Reference to the blackout from Luigi's Mansion)
  • A scene where Luigi gets jumpscared by his shadow hanged (Reference to the shadow glitch)
  • Chase scene with Bogmire itself making an appearance moving like a huge horrific gooey tidal wave going after Luigi (Would be nice having some Portait Ghosts make an appearance, minor roles, cameos, or major)
  • A post credits scene where none other than the infamous Elh comes out from the darkness shambling towards the screen (That thing... from the beta)

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Luigi falls asleep in the mansion and wakes up to Mario's voice.

Luigi pulls a shower curtain that reveals a Boo.

A Boo tries to scare Gooigi, but the goo clone has no response.

I've given you guys more time, so let's tackle what you've suggested.

Alrighty then, scene time!
Scenes:
  • Luigi going into a trophy/safari room with a huge taxidermy of animals and freaks out after said animals start making ungodly noises. I picture him saying that there better be no hunter wanting his head which is a reference to the rumoured Portrait Ghost being a hunter
  • Some little montage of catching the Boos
  • Luigi being too clumsy in the darkness after a blackout happens (Reference to the blackout from Luigi's Mansion)
  • A scene where Luigi gets jumpscared by his shadow hanged (Reference to the shadow glitch)
  • Chase scene with Bogmire itself making an appearance moving like a huge horrific gooey tidal wave going after Luigi (Would be nice having some Portait Ghosts make an appearance, minor roles, cameos, or major)
  • A post credits scene where none other than the infamous Elh comes out from the darkness shambling towards the screen (That thing... from the beta)
The trophy room exhibit is just the right amount of horror for the family-centered audience, and yet, it also could spook some adults. Luigi's ad-lib in response sounds just like a Charlie Day line, to boot.

If there wasn't a Boo-catching montage, that would be a missed opportunity.

The references to the blackout and shadow glitch should happen, and the latter NEEDS to happen.

I wouldn't mind having the Portrait Ghosts make appearances, and you put Bogmire in the right spot for the moment.

I can do without the post-credits scene about Elh. It feels a bit too much to put that after the credits, and this character list is big as it gets.
Luigi falls asleep in the mansion and wakes up to Mario's voice.

Luigi pulls a shower curtain that reveals a Boo.

A Boo tries to scare Gooigi, but the goo clone has no response.
Luigi waking up to Mario's voice is an out-and-out must.

Pulling a shower curtain to reveal a Boo sounds like a trailer scene, so it has to be added.

Gooigi having no response is an excellent gag.

In summary, the only one of these scenes and jokes that I would legitimately cut is the post-credits scene involving Elh. Everything else will be put into the movie.

Await further directions on Sunday, for I've got plans for this canon on that day.

I did say I had some plans today. Some of you may disagree with me here.

Job #16: Plan the Next Decade of the Nintendo Illumination Canon
Let's picture this. The first Super Mario Bros. Movie is now a decade old, and so far, we have covered a sequel to Mario, two spinoffs, and Zelda. Knowing the treasure chest of Nintendo properties, and how Illumination treats a gold mine in the making, I am upping the production cycle.

In other words, we are now making one new Nintendo-based product every year.

To make it slightly easier to stomach, you can go all out from 2034 until 2040.

Wanna suggest sequels to existing Nintendo+Illumination films? You can do that.
Wanna resubmit movies that didn't get enough votes, from all the way back on Page 1? You can do that, too.
Wanna suggest TV shows, or even theatrical shorts? You can even do that.
Wanna bring up new franchises to adapt, now that Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong have been dealt with? Of course you can do that. Why wouldn't you do that?

If you guys thought our first "gong show" session was wild, get a load of this job.

You have until the 24th to try your luck. Remember, anything goes, space is warped, and time is bendable.

D

Deleted member

I think we need to figure out where we're going. We're obviously building to smash, right? So we need to figure out who will be important to our smash movie so we can set them up. I say at least Kirby, Star Fox and Metroid should be set up. Possibly Earthbound and F-Zero if we wanna go by 64. Pokemon is also a big elephant we need to adress. There's also a couple of loose threads we need to finish up like Rosalina or DK being kidnapped (No disrepect to the submitter but I probably wouldn't have done that since it means we need a DKC sequel before smash. I think we also need to know what villain were setting up. Is Smash just a fun event that doesn't need much set up, or is it our avengers? I do think a Zelda sequel would make sense too

D

Deleted member

I actually think Kirby should be farily important to the universe going forward.

I think we need to figure out where we're going. We're obviously building to smash, right? So we need to figure out who will be important to our smash movie so we can set them up. I say at least Kirby, Star Fox and Metroid should be set up. Possibly Earthbound and F-Zero if we wanna go by 64. Pokemon is also a big elephant we need to adress. There's also a couple of loose threads we need to finish up like Rosalina or DK being kidnapped (No disrepect to the submitter but I probably wouldn't have done that since it means we need a DKC sequel before smash. I think we also need to know what villain were setting up. Is Smash just a fun event that doesn't need much set up, or is it our avengers? I do think a Zelda sequel would make sense too
I didn't want to tackle this so soon, but I actually want Smash to be a fun event. Like, as long as no third-party franchises are involved, I would allow any character to be included, no matter how recent or old they are, or when they were added into the actual games.

This isn't supposed to be a cinematic universe. This is supposed to be a collection of animated movies with only marginally connected nods. If I wanted to turn this into the MCU for a more niche audience, I'd go with Square Enix or Capcom. But since this is Nintendo we're talking about, I'd want to limit the stakes as much as I can.

Think of the Nintendo Movie Canon as a modern-day equivalent to the Hanna-Barbera assembly line, in which comedy, action, and individual storytelling is the name of the game, and any crossovers made are meant for fanservice only. No cinematic universe DNA to speak of.

If you want to make an interwoven cinematic universe storyline that requires a literal story bible to deal with, make your own Smashboards Creates game. I, personally, would prefer to keep the complicated stuff to a minimum.

I'm sorry, but I have to put my foot down on this subject.

D

Deleted member

I didn't want to tackle this so soon, but I actually want Smash to be a fun event. Like, as long as no third-party franchises are involved, I would allow any character to be included, no matter how recent or old they are, or when they were added into the actual games.

This isn't supposed to be a cinematic universe. This is supposed to be a collection of animated movies with only marginally connected nods. If I wanted to turn this into the MCU for a more niche audience, I'd go with Square Enix or Capcom. But since this is Nintendo we're talking about, I'd want to limit the stakes as much as I can.

Think of the Nintendo Movie Canon as a modern-day equivalent to the Hanna-Barbera assembly line, in which comedy, action, and individual storytelling is the name of the game, and any crossovers made are meant for fanservice only. No cinematic universe DNA to speak of.

If you want to make an interwoven cinematic universe storyline that requires a literal story bible to deal with, make your own Smashboards Creates game. I, personally, would prefer to keep the complicated stuff to a minimum.

I'm sorry, but I have to put my foot down on this subject.
Can I be honest? I'm in total agreement. I wouldn't want Nintendo to be a big epic universe. There's too much style clash (and honestly FE and Xenoblade should likely stay out for that reason)

Can I be honest? I'm in total agreement. I wouldn't want Nintendo to be a big epic universe. There's too much style clash (and honestly FE and Xenoblade should likely stay out for that reason)
Thank you. I had thought you would hate my stance on the matter. Although, I do think we should at least consider a Fire Emblem and Xenoblade movie each, just to satiate their fanbases. If I may use the Hanna-Barbera comparison again, it's like how Jonny Quest premiered in the same year as Peter Potamus, or how 1972 got us The New Scooby-Doo Movies and Sealab 2020 both at once.

There's a reason why I called it the Nintendo Canon and not the Nintendo Cinematic Universe, current opinions on Disney nonwithstanding. It's that any Nintendo series or game should have a shot at the Hollywood pie like Mario has right now. That is all.

D

Deleted member

Thank you. I had thought you would hate my stance on the matter. Although, I do think we should at least consider a Fire Emblem and Xenoblade movie each, just to satiate their fanbases. If I may use the Hanna-Barbera comparison again, it's like how Jonny Quest premiered in the same year as Peter Potamus, or how 1972 got us The New Scooby-Doo Movies and Sealab 2020 both at once.

There's a reason why I called it the Nintendo Canon and not the Nintendo Cinematic Universe, current opinions on Disney nonwithstanding. It's that any Nintendo series or game should have a shot at the Hollywood pie like Mario has right now. That is all.
FE could work if we go a classic sword and sorcery route like the recent DND film and base it on the older games maybe

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Must-haves IMO:
Metroid movie
Kirby movie
Starfox movie
Zelda movie sequel
Yoshi spinoff movie

Job #17: Making a Road Map of the Next NIC Decade
After a week of suggestions, and a few tangents, I have tallied the amount of suggestions for the 2030s:

-Yoshi's Island
-Punch-Out!!
-Fire Emblem Heroes
-Metroid
-Star Fox
-Kirby
-The Legend of Zelda 2
-EarthBound
-F-Zero
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Pokemon
-Super Smash Bros.
-Donkey Kong Country 2
-Animal Crossing
-Splatoon
-Kid Icarus

Now, before we decide what the plan is now, here's what I want you to do. You must choose:

a.) Your top seven (7) movie adaptations. This covers the Nintendo Illumination Canon into an annual ordeal, because this is Illumination we're talking about.
b.) Your top three (3) TV show adaptations. Between the above suggestions box and our prior jobs, you have a lot of potential to make Illumination's television debut work.

The TV shows will be produced at the same time as the movies, and you may even choose a Nintendo property to overlap between the two if you wish. Said shows do not mean less movies, unfortunately.

Please note that I added Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Kid Icarus into the pile specifically to create more choices.

You have until Thursday to select your seven movies and three series.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Movies
  1. Kirby
  2. Yoshi's Island
  3. Donkey Kong Country 2
  4. Earthbound
  5. Metroid
  6. Zelda 2
  7. Star Fox
Series
  1. Smash Bros
  2. F-Zero
  3. Punch-Out

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Movies

Smash Bros
Kirby
Fire Emblem Heroes
Metroid
Zelda 2
Xenoblade
Kid Icarus

Shows

Animal Crossing
Splatoon
Fzero

HM - Star Fox (although maybe it could get a cameo in a Fzero show given some of the already existing crossover characters)

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
1. Kirby
2. Metroid
3. Zelda 2
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Smash Bros
6. Splatoon
7. Earthbound

1. Animal Crossing
2. F-Zero
3. Punch-Out

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Movies:
Super Smash Bros
Kid Icarus
Star Fox
Xenoblade
Kirby
FZero
Earthbound

TV Series:
Animal Crossing
Splatoon
Fire Emblem Heroes

Okay, the time has come to select the rest of the 2030s.

Yoshi's Island: 2 for movie, 0 for series
Punch-Out!!: 0 for movie, 2 for series
Fire Emblem Heroes: 1 for movie, 1 for series
Metroid: 3 for movie, 0 for series
Star Fox: 2 for movie, 1 for series (Yes, the honorable mention will count as a vote here.)
Kirby: 4 for movie, 0 for series
The Legend of Zelda 2: 3 for movie
EarthBound: 3 for movie, 0 for series
F-Zero: 1 for movie, 3 for series
Xenoblade Chronicles: 2 for movie, 0 for series
Pokemon: 0 for movie, 0 for series
Super Smash Bros.: 3 for movie, 1 for series
Donkey Kong Country 2: 1 for movie
Animal Crossing: 0 for movie, 3 for series
Splatoon: 1 for movie, 1 for series
Kid Icarus: 2 for movie, 1 for series

Kirby's Grand Adventure
Super Mario Adventures: Season 1

The Legend of Zelda 2

Metroid

EarthBound
F-Zero: Season 1

The Yoshi's Island Movie

Star Fox

Kid Icarus
Super Smash Bros: Season 1

It was hard trying to appease everyone, but there's always the next roadmap for those who didn't make it in.

We'll take a day off, but Saturday's the day we start work on Kirby's Grand Adventure. Anyone who gets the non-Kirby reference to that movie title gets a slice of strawberry shortcake.

But for now, I have to ask a more personal question. Why did no one vote for Pokemon? If you have any reason as to why, please tell me ASAP. Why, that game's tailor made for Illumination.

Top Bottom