• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Nintendo Illumination Canon

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
But for now, I have to ask a more personal question. Why did no one vote for Pokemon? If you have any reason as to why, please tell me ASAP. Why, that game's tailor made for Illumination.
I reason i didn't pick Pokemon for Movie nor TV Series is becomes the Anime is still continuing with a New Cast and Legendary Pictures still have the Movie Rights because there are plans for Detective Pikachu 2

I reason i didn't pick Pokemon for Movie nor TV Series is becomes the Anime is still continuing with a New Cast and Legendary Pictures still have the Movie Rights because there are plans for Detective Pikachu 2
Okay, those are very apt reasons.

Oh, and due to losing track of time, Kirby's Grand Adventure is getting pushed back to Sunday.

Okay. Here comes the walking heart attack.

Job #18: Character Submissions for Kirby's Grand Adventure
We all know that Kirby and King Dedede are going to appear in this movie, so they're disqualified from this list.

However, despite taking the name from Kirby's first home console game, that does not limit the characters or premise to just be an adaptation of that one game.

In other words, this job is for you to pull any Kirby character out of hammerspace (penguin-sized mask not included) to appear in this movie. The plot and cast are not included this time, for those of you who came in late.

You have until Tuesday to submit characters OTHER than Kirby and King Dedede. However, I may extend the deadline a little if necessary.

Okay, then. The metaphorical timer has counted to zero. Let me look at your suggestions.
Characters
  • Bandana Dee
  • Meta Knight
  • Adeleine
If these guys weren't added to the movie, there would have been a riot.
Gooey
Ribbon
Rick the Hamster
Marx
Nightmare
Dark Matter
I'm split on including Gooey, Rick, Marx, and Dark Matter. If there's no room for them, they can be saved for a continuation.

However, Ribbon and Nightmare? I'm definitely adding them.
Galacta Knight
Captain Vul
Meta Knights
I'm sorry, but they're too obscure to be major players in this movie. At least Foreman Spike makes sense in the first Mario movie to establish more of the two plumbers in Brooklyn. Heck, I thought you had a typo when suggesting the Meta Knights, as implied by my questionary response.

If there are no other takers, we can begin the next job.

Job #19: The Cast of Kirby's Great Adventure
The list of characters for this movie shall be:
  • Kirby
  • King Dedede
  • Meta Knight
  • Bandanna Dee
  • Adeleine
  • Ribbon
  • Nightmare
The other suggested characters can be saved for a sequel, or even a TV show.

Your job is to select appropriate, or at least marketable, voices for the characters. It shall end on Friday.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
  • Kirby
    • Voice Actor: Grey DeLisle
  • King Dedede
    • Voice Actor: Kevin Michael Richardson
  • Meta Knight
    • Voice Actor: Eric Newsome
  • Bandana Dee
    • Voice Actor: Travis Oates
  • Adeleine
    • Voice Actor: E.G. Daily
  • Ribbon
    • Voice Actor: Tara Strong
  • Nightmare
    • Voice Actor: Steve Blum

• Kirby
  • King Dedede
  • Meta Knight
  • Bandana Dee
  • Adeleine
  • Ribbon
  • Nightmare
If casting Anya Taylor-Joy as Zelda was vetoed on account of crossovers, I don't think casting Kamek as Dedede would be as successful.

The other cast members are at least alive, so I'd allow them into the suggestions box. I do have thoughts on them besides allowing them in, but I'd rather save those for when the job's done.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Makiko Ohmoto as Kirby
Patrick Warburton as King Dedede
Keanu Reeves as Meta Knight
Harvey Guillen as Bandana Dee
Tim Curry as Nightmare

Last edited:

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I also support Bandana Dee as Harvey Guillen
Pedro Pascal as Meta Knight
Peter Dinklage as King Dedede
Robert Englund as Nightmare
Kirby and Adeleine should be voice by Kids

At last, the casting call has ceased.
  • Kirby
  • King Dedede
  • Meta Knight
  • Bandana Dee
  • Adeleine
  • Ribbon
  • Nightmare
Makiko Ohmoto as Kirby
Patrick Warburton as King Dedede
Keanu Reeves as Meta Knight
Harvey Guillen as Bandana Dee
Tim Curry as Nightmare
I also support Bandana Dee as Harvey Guillen
Pedro Pascal as Meta Knight
Peter Dinklage as King Dedede
Robert Englund as Nightmare
Kirby and Adeleine should be voice by Kids
  • All of you suggested good roles for Kirby's VA for the movie, making it hard to choose.
  • Seeing as though Kevin Michael Richardson is still the voice of choice, I am excluding him from the King Dedede pile.
  • Take my feelings on your choices for Kirby, multiply that by two and a half, and you'd get my opinion on your decisions on Meta Knight.
  • While casting the voice of Perrito as Bandana Dee would be an easy way to poke some harmless fun at the 4Kids dub giving Meta Knight a Spanish accent, I imagined Bandana Dee as Piglet without his stutter and almost flatlined.
  • Ribbon only has one VA suggested, but Adeleine got two choices in this voting period.
  • Nightmare has the most star power in this cast, according to you guys. Ironic, given his villainy.
This is the cast of Kirby's Grand Adventure:

Kirby: Grey DeLisle
King Dedede: Peter Dinklage
Meta Knight: Keanu Reeves
Bandana Dee: Travis Oates
Adeleine: E.G. Daily
Ribbon: Tara Strong
Nightmare: Robert Englund

• Peter Dinklage voicing King Dedede would be the perfect way to subvert his typecasting. Especially given his stance on the Seven Dwarfs.
  • While giving Kirby and Meta Knight their gaming voices would be their way of apologizing for Chris Pratt, I'd imagine giving actual professional voice actors some starring roles would be just as important. And if 2023 is any indication, Keanu Reeves is loved by the Internet.
  • Grey DeLisle, E.G. Daily, and Tara Strong are such a power trio in animated media that I simply cannot find it within me to not cast them as Kirby, Adeleine, and Ribbon when they were pitched by you guys.
  • As I said before selecting the cast, it wasn't really a contest between Travis Oates and Harvey Guillen for Bandana Dee. My sincere apologies to all the new **** in Boots fans, but I gotta support my home team of the Magic Kingdom. And to Mamboo07 Mamboo07 , just know that casting an actual Pooh franchise VA in this movie just completes the whole aesthetic. Thank you.
  • Finally, we have Nightmare, the villain of the movie. While Tim Curry would have REALLY fit the mood, the fact that you guys suggested Marx and Dark Matter as alternate antagonists means we should consider a more sophisticated level of "bad guy voice". Hence why Freddy Kreuger is doing this bit.
  • And after reading what I just typed, I seem to have overlooked the actual benefit of casting Robert Englund as Nightmare: The ensuing fan art of Freddy Kreuger vs. Kirby. Forget what I just said. THIS is why Tim Curry was snubbed out of the role.
Job #20: The Plot of Kirby's Grand Adventure
We've covered the characters, we've covered the cast. Now it is time to metaphorically wrap up all the details by making a premise with all of it.

You have until Monday to pitch it, give or take a day.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Kirby's home Dreamland is taken over by Nightmare, who has turned King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee evil. Kirby escapes to another planet and finds Adeleine and Ribbon, who make him able to steal the powers of his enemies. Kirby returns home, fights his former allies, and reforms them, and they all team up to stop Nightmare.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight trains Kirby in the ways of Combat to fight King Dedede from stealing all the Food in Dreamland then Nightmare gets summon when the Star Rod gets repaired

It looks like there are only two storylines.

Tell you what. I'll give you guys an extra day to present a third storyline. I don't want the choice to be too one-sided.

I guess there really are just two storylines to pick this time.
Kirby's home Dreamland is taken over by Nightmare, who has turned King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee evil. Kirby escapes to another planet and finds Adeleine and Ribbon, who make him able to steal the powers of his enemies. Kirby returns home, fights his former allies, and reforms them, and they all team up to stop Nightmare.
Meta Knight trains Kirby in the ways of Combat to fight King Dedede from stealing all the Food in Dreamland then Nightmare gets summon when the Star Rod gets repaired
I think it's obvious that Northsouthmap Northsouthmap has created the better premise out of the two options. That's the one I'll pick.

Job #21: Any Extra Details in Kirby's Grand Adventure
You guys know the drill by now. Any additional nods to the games can work here. You have until Saturday to pitch them.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
  • A small scene after the credits where the screen is black and dark as several eyes slowly appear with a huge glowing eye in the middle foreshadowing Dark Matter and Zero.
  • Kirby learning to use his Copy Abilities
  • Kirby battling Meta, Bandana, and Dedede in a 1 vs 3 brawl or maybe fighting one at a time and takes on them for a second round near the end of the finale. (Fight one, they get rescued, somehow get brainwashed during finale, now take on three, not evil anymore)
  • Some scenes of Kirby, Ribbon, and Adeleine bonding with each other slowly becoming like found friends/siblings towards one another.

Last edited:

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Scene with Meta Knight's Mask breaks to reviled that he is the same as Kirby
Kirby using hes Copy Abilities like Sword Kirby,Cutter Kirby,Fire Kirby,Ice Kirby,Beam Kirby,Fighter Kirby,Hammer Kirby
A Scene were Kirby eats Cake
Kirby using the Warp Star
Adeleine paints a Funny Picture Of King Dedede

The job is done. Let's see what has been suggested.
  • A small scene after the credits where the screen is black and dark as several eyes slowly appear with a huge glowing eye in the middle foreshadowing Dark Matter and Zero.
  • Kirby learning to use his Copy Abilities
  • Kirby battling Meta, Bandana, and Dedede in a 1 vs 3 brawl or maybe fighting one at a time and takes on them for a second round near the end of the finale. (Fight one, they get rescued, somehow get brainwashed during finale, now take on three, not evil anymore)
  • Some scenes of Kirby, Ribbon, and Adeleine bonding with each other slowly becoming like found friends/siblings towards one another.
Since we're adding TV shows into the plan, maybe the post-credits scene isn't a good idea.

On the bright side, the other three ideas are good enough to print. I'd have him fight the three of them one at a time, only for King Dedede to be possessed before the finale. He wouldn't admit to being allied with Kirby that early in the movie, honestly.
Scene with Meta Knight's Mask breaks to reviled that he is the same as Kirby
Kirby using hes Copy Abilities like Sword Kirby,Cutter Kirby,Fire Kirby,Ice Kirby,Beam Kirby,Fighter Kirby,Hammer Kirby
A Scene were Kirby eats Cake
Kirby using the Warp Star
Adeleine paints a Funny Picture Of King Dedede
All of these are good additions to the film, with some of them being perfect trailer fodder for Illumination's editors.

In short, the only one of these I would cut is the post-credits scene that hints at Dark Matter and Zero. It's nothing personal, but it's not just movies we're tackling anymore.

I'll give you guys the afternoon off to spend time with your folks on Mother's Day. Monday, though, is when we cover our first TV show with Season One of Super Mario Adventures. Yes, we're doing TV shows now, for those uninitiated.

Job #22: Episode Count of Super Mario Adventures: Season 1
Since we already have an ensemble cast from the Mario universe, we'll be skipping the "new character job".

Instead, we'll discuss the proper amount of episodes the first season should have.

Unfortunately, it has to be between 10 and 23 episodes. Anything less than that would undersell the show, and anything over that would require a weekend strip right off the bat. Be thankful I'm giving you guys ground rules to begin with on this one.

Another thing. Any adaptational ideas should be saved for the next job, if you can resist it.

You have until Thursday to come up with an episode count within reason. Also, you may give out an argument in your own favor.

Okay. Let's look at the board.
I will go with 22 Episodes
I will go with 18 episodes because Mario got his start in the 1980s
Well, Northsouthmap Northsouthmap , not only does your reason for 18 episodes make some sense, but it's a more reasonable count than 22.

In other words, the Complete First Season of Super Mario Adventures will run for 18 episodes.

Job #23: Episode Premise Ideas for SMA Season 1
Your job is to submit as many ideas for episode plots within this initial season. 18 is the minimum limit, but we can go up to 36 ideas if necessary.

You can adapt smaller games in the Mario series, devote an entire arc to adapt one big game, have character-driven episodes, just make whatever you can.

Because of the episode count, you have a full week to pitch episodes.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
1. Mario and Luigi enjoy life in the Mushroom Kingdom.
2. Mario looks for his hat.
3. Luigi and Daisy play a game of tennis and golf.
4. The gang dress up for a party.
5. Toad goes on an adventure to find treasure.
6. Yoshi becomes a secret agent to sneak in his egg.
7. Wario and Waluigi start a video game company.
8. The gang time travel and meet their baby versions.
9. The gang are transformed into paper versions of themselves.
10. Mario and Luigi fix a clock tower in the Mushroom Kingdom.
11. Mario and Luigi's family visit the Mushroom Kingdom.
12. Rainbow Road loses it color, and the gang try to fix it.
13. Mario makes toys based on himself and Donkey Kong steals them.
14. The gang travel to Isle Delfino.
15. The penguins invite the Mario gang over for Christmas.
16. The gang try to launch themselves into space.
17. The gang get themselves trapped into a video game.
18. Daisy starts a flower store in her kingdom.
19. E. Gadd uses Luigi in an experiment.
20. Cranky Kong retires and Donkey Kong is now the leader.
21. Birdo has a dream and Yoshi wakes her up.
22. Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong race in karts.
23. Funky Kong makes his own plane.
24. Polterpup chases down a ghost.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Okay here is 18 Episodes of Super Mario Bros Cartoon Season 1,The First 5 Episode will be a Adaption of Super Mario Bros Adventures from Nintendo Power
1.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 1
2.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 2
3.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 3
4.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 4
5.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 5 Finale
6. Mario And Luigi Vs Wario And Waluigi
7. Wart is invading Luigi's Dreams so it up to Mario and Princess Peach to save him
8.Mario And Luigi go to Yoshi's Island
9.King K Rool Hypnotizes Donkey Kong to kidnapped Pauline
10.Mario,Luigi and Donkey Kong Fight King K Rool
11.Mario and Princess Daisy are trapped in Painting by King Boo and Its up to Luigi to save them
12.Mario And Luigi go to space to see Rosalina
13. Mario And Luigi go to Diamond City to see Wario's Video Game Company plus WarioWare Characters Guest Staring
14.Mario and Luigi stop Bowser from making a Super Mario Bros Movie Parody
15.Captain Syrup has taken Princess Peach and Daisy crowns and its up to Mario And Luigi to go on a Pirate Adventure
16. Mario Kart Episode
17. Mario Villains Team Up plus Mario Party Part 1
18.Mario Villains Team Up plus Mario Party Part 2 Season 1 Finale

I did say today was the deadline, didn't I? Well, due to the significant amount of ideas, I'll share my opinions on them tomorrow.

The voting has closed for this job, though. No more episode synopses.

Alright, let's see what you've created.
1. Mario and Luigi enjoy life in the Mushroom Kingdom.
2. Mario looks for his hat.
3. Luigi and Daisy play a game of tennis and golf.
4. The gang dress up for a party.
5. Toad goes on an adventure to find treasure.
6. Yoshi becomes a secret agent to sneak in his egg.
7. Wario and Waluigi start a video game company.
8. The gang time travel and meet their baby versions.
9. The gang are transformed into paper versions of themselves.
10. Mario and Luigi fix a clock tower in the Mushroom Kingdom.
11. Mario and Luigi's family visit the Mushroom Kingdom.
12. Rainbow Road loses it color, and the gang try to fix it.
13. Mario makes toys based on himself and Donkey Kong steals them.
14. The gang travel to Isle Delfino.
15. The penguins invite the Mario gang over for Christmas.
16. The gang try to launch themselves into space.
17. The gang get themselves trapped into a video game.
18. Daisy starts a flower store in her kingdom.
19. E. Gadd uses Luigi in an experiment.
20. Cranky Kong retires and Donkey Kong is now the leader.
21. Birdo has a dream and Yoshi wakes her up.
22. Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong race in karts.
23. Funky Kong makes his own plane.
24. Polterpup chases down a ghost.
Okay here is 18 Episodes of Super Mario Bros Cartoon Season 1,The First 5 Episode will be a Adaption of Super Mario Bros Adventures from Nintendo Power
1.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 1
2.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 2
3.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 3
4.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 4
5.Super Mario Bros Adventures Part 5 Finale
6. Mario And Luigi Vs Wario And Waluigi
7. Wart is invading Luigi's Dreams so it up to Mario and Princess Peach to save him
8.Mario And Luigi go to Yoshi's Island
9.King K Rool Hypnotizes Donkey Kong to kidnapped Pauline
10.Mario,Luigi and Donkey Kong Fight King K Rool
11.Mario and Princess Daisy are trapped in Painting by King Boo and Its up to Luigi to save them
12.Mario And Luigi go to space to see Rosalina
13. Mario And Luigi go to Diamond City to see Wario's Video Game Company plus WarioWare Characters Guest Staring
14.Mario and Luigi stop Bowser from making a Super Mario Bros Movie Parody
15.Captain Syrup has taken Princess Peach and Daisy crowns and its up to Mario And Luigi to go on a Pirate Adventure
16. Mario Kart Episode
17. Mario Villains Team Up plus Mario Party Part 1
18.Mario Villains Team Up plus Mario Party Part 2 Season 1 Finale
You guys have made a lot of plots. However, I have come up with a sufficient episode guide.

Episodes 1-5: An adaptation of the "Super Mario Adventures" comics.

Episode 6: Mario and Luigi's Day Off
Mario and Luigi enjoy life in the Mushroom Kingdom on a casual level.

Episode 7a: Hat We Go Again
Mario loses his hat in a gust of wind, and chases after it around the Mushroom Kingdom.
Episode 7b: Daisy's Dasies
Daisy opens up her own flower shop in the Mushroom Kingdom

Episode 8a: Double-O-Saurus
Yoshi becomes a secret agent to sneak in his egg.
Episode 8b: I Dream of Wart
Birdo gets a nightmare of Wart coming back for her, so Yoshi and Peach help her get some good sleep again.

Episode 9a: Meet Zah Marios!
Mario and Luigi's family meet them in the Mushroom Kingdom. A "Special Thanks" credit would go to Nintendrawer in this episode.

Episode 10: The Foundation of WarioWare
Wario and Waluigi visit the real world with their treasures and buy an entire city. They call it Diamond City and put the citizens to work on their video game business. (After all, it's not like Diamond City would make sense in the realm of the Mushroom Kingdom.)

Episode 11a: What Good Sports
Luigi and Daisy become competitive with one another in various sports, primarily tennis and golf.
Episode 11b: Grease Monkeys
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, and Funky Kong decide to race each other for fun. DK rides Rambi the Rhino, Diddy and Dixie ride a couple of karts, and Funky Kong shows off his new plane. In the end, Dixie Kong wins the race and gets promptly congratulated. The other three Kongs, however, show a veneer of jealousy at this.

Episode 12: Lumalee's Mother
Mario and the gang decide to reunite Lumalee with her family, which brings them to meet Rosalina for the first time. Unfortunately, Tatanga is bent on conquering the galaxies. It's up to them to save a neighboring galaxy this time.

Episode 13a: A Dog-Haunt-Dog World
Polterpup chases down a fellow ghost dog, but later befriends it.
Episode 13b: Great Scot!
Luigi wants to be braver, so Professor E. Gadd temporarily hypnotizes him into acting like a Scotsman.

Episode 14: Bowser's Blockbuster Bonanza
Bowser decides the best offense against Mario is to make him a public pariah. To do this, he and Kamek make a movie where he's the most likeable character in the movie, while Mario and Luigi are disgruntled 30-somethings working a dead-end job. So Mario, Luigi, Daisy, and Yoshi team up to stop the movie from getting made.

Episode 15a: Captain Toad to the Rescue!
Feeling undervalued by his friends, Toad decides to become a treasure hunter of his own volition. Unfortunately, this life is harder than he thought, until Mario saves him and leads him to the treasure he was seeking.
Episode 15b: A Mario and Luigi Christmas
The Penguin King invites Mario and Luigi over to their place for the holiday season, so his fellow penguins can learn about what they call Christmas. In turn, he tells them about their holiday traditions, which are surprisingly similar to theirs.

Episode 16a: You Cannot Beat Us
Kamek transports Mario, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi into an 8-bit beat-em-up, with Luigi and Peach as the prizes. This beat-em-up is a jab at the term "Nintendo Hard", capitalized by games such as Battletoads.
Episode 16b: Mario and Luigi in: "Time Clock Tinkerers"
Mario and Luigi fix the broken clock tower in the Mushroom Kingdom. The twist is that this episode resembles a Fleischer Bros. cartoon, particularly of the Popeye persuasion.

Episode 17: The Party Formerly Known as Good: Part 1
Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad host a celebration party of Bowser's supposed demise, only for him to rise again to curbstomp all four of them.

Episode 18: The Party Formerly Known as Good: Part 2
After a bunch of matchups against Bowser and company, Mario finally wins the celebration party, which ended up becoming just as special as the first time he won against the Koopa Armada.

Any notable exclusions, like the Isle Delfino episode, would have to wait for a potential second season. In the meantime, I thought I did pretty well with the surplus of episode ideas. I'm proud that there was a surplus, actually.

As for the next job, let's take the weekend off and start it on Tuesday. It's Memorial Day weekend, after all.

Job #23: Selecting the Game of Choice for Legend of Zelda 2
Because Ocarina of Time has already been adapted, that game is off limits. However, there are others to consider:
  • Majora's Mask
  • Breath of the Wild
  • The Wind Waker
  • Twilight Princess
  • Skyward Sword
  • Link's Awakening
  • A Link to the Past
Your job is basically to pick which of these games the second Zelda movie should adapt. Due to the amount of options and the likely biases towards the 3D games, I will give you TWO games to pick from in this list. That's right, you get a backup premise this time!

You have until Friday to choose the two games you'd pick for Legend of Zelda 2.

I'm just gonna go out and say it. The REAL reason I gave you guys a second option is because I knew there was going to be a bias for adapting Majora's Mask in animation. What I didn't see coming was that everyone who chose Majora's Mask also chose A Link to the Past as their second option. And one of you chose Link's Awakening.

I had honestly expected a Breath of the Wild nomination in this pile, but the majority rules, so we're getting Majora's Mask as our sequel to The Legend of Zelda.

Job #24: Voicing the New Characters for Majora's Mask
Keep in mind that the voice of Young Link is returning for the role, but you have to choose new VAs for the other characters:
  • Skull Kid
  • Tatl and Tael
  • Tingle
  • Happy Mask Salesman
  • Postman
  • Biggoron
  • Romani
  • Japas
  • Lulu
  • Mikau
  • Captain Keeta
Then again, some of these can just be background cameos if you so wish. In any case, you have until Wednesday to cover this.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Richard Horvitz as Skull Kid
Jim Carrey as Happy Mask Salesman
Doug Jones as Postman

Also, no Tingle?

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I also support Richard Horvitz as Skull Kid
Josh Gad as Tingle
Bill Skarsgard as Happy Mask Salesman