• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Jump Stars EX REBOOTED - A Shonen Jump Platform Fighter

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Green Dolphin State Prison

The Prison from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean. This would be a simple layout with one large platform that functions like Kalos Pokemon league with 3 Platforms that you can jump through that are just as long. you can see various characters from Stone Ocean in the background like Hermes, Anasui, Weather Report, Gwess and Emporio.

Occasionally, Goo Goo Dolls will appear and shrink players that get near it.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gonna resubmit this from the original thread
Hunter x Hunter stage: Royal Palace of East Gorteau
View attachment 339670
A key location in Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant arc. It's basically where the entirety of the arc's lengthy climax takes place.

The fight takes place at the palace courtyard at night. It's a flat stage with two tall platform near the blast zones. Several characters occasionally fight in the background or simply observe the action. (if any of these characters make it as a playable character, they just don't appear when chosen)
Meruem
Netero
Neferpitou
Shaiapouf (or mini Pouf)
Killua
Morel
Knuckle Bine
Shoot McMahon
Meleoron
Menthuthuyoupi
Palm
Ikalgo
Welfin

The fights would be Meruem vs Netero and Killua/Morel/Shoot/Knuckle/Meleoron vs Youpi (no more than one fight at the same time tho)

The other characters simply watch the actual fight

darkvortex

Smash Lord
dark-tournament-stadium.jpg

Dark Tournament Arena

based on one of the most well known and popular arcs of YuYu Hakusho. This is a standard arena \ colosseum stage that every fighting game needs.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1693677049079.jpeg

Penguin Village (Dr. Slump)

This stage takes place on the streets of Penguin Village, the setting of Dr. Slump. It's a walk-off stage, with buildings acting as platforms. Occasionally, an arrow will flash in the upper left corner of the screen before various residents of the village (Senbei and his family, the police, Suppaman, Dr. Mashirito, the Toriyama robot, etc.) run/drive/skateboard/float by, like they're competing in a race. They act similarly to the cars in the Onett stage, ramming into anyone who's at street level.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Resubmitting this one from the old thread
Job #23: Southern Cross from Fist of the North Star
View attachment 340195
Southern Cross is a city that was used as the base of operations for the KING Organization, led by Shin. This city was intended by Shin as a symbol of his affections for Kenshiro's wife, Yuria, and it was from here that he controlled the majority of the former Kanto region. The city's population mostly consisted of slaves, who were forced to live and work there and were branded with Shin's emblem, the Bloody Cross.

I've submitted stages with extremely basic layouts so far, but Southern Cross would be a bit more interesting. As you can see from the image above, the wreckage-filled aesthetic of the city could lead to some more comparatively varied layouts or terrain. We could give it steep slopes, all kinds of platforms, etc. Shin and the four liutenants of the KING organization would stand in the background, watching the fight unfold.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Submissions are closed. Our choices are:

cashregister9 cashregister9 Green Dolphin State Prison
Jondolio Jondolio Royal Palace of East Gorteau
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Kamiya Dojo
darkvortex darkvortex Dark Tournament Arena
Megadoomer Megadoomer Penguin Village
Speed Weed Speed Weed Southern Cross

Vote for your top 3 most wanted out of these, 3 will be picked. Mine:

1. Dark Tournament Arena
2. East Gorteau
3. Green Dolphin

On an unrelated note, do you guys think we should talk about the gameplay soon? It's a pretty important aspect that we didn't really discuss but I'm afraid of the possibility that people might not respond - lack of activity is pretty much why I struggled to keep this thread afloat and last time I tried this the gameplay job effectively killed the thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Maybe do a gameplay job and something more casual (like a character job) at the same time? Can't remember if you did that last time, but that way, people will still likely participate even if they have nothing to contribute gameplay-wise. (in my admittedly limited experience, gameplay tends to be the most hit-or-miss part of these threads - either people are passionate about it and willing to post ideas, or they don't care)

1. East Gorteau
2. Green Dolphin
3. Southern Cross

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Green Dolphin State Prison 8
Royal Palace of East Gorteau 7
Kamiya Dojo 0
Dark Tournament Arena 11
Penguin Village 1
Southern Cross 3

Green Dolphin State Prison, Royal Palace of East Gorteau, and the Dark Tournament Arena will be added to the stage selection.

Per Megadoomer Megadoomer 's suggestion, we will now have our first double job -

Job #9: Submit a 2000s character
The 2000s as a whole are somewhat underrated when it comes to new series. The latest Jump crossover, Jump Force, only had one series that debuted in that decade represented at all so I think we'll rectify it this time and go for three at once.

Some notable series that debuted in the early 2000s include -
Bleach (which is already present in our roster through Ichigo)
Death Note
Gintama
D. Gray-Man
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Hitman Reborn
Black Cat
Sand Land
Eyeshield 21
To Love Ru
Neuro: Supernatural Detective
Psyren
Toriko
Bakuman
Kuruko's Basketball
Medaka Box
And more.

Job #10: Discuss Gameplay Mechanics
Since we're titled "Jump Stars EX", it should be noted that we're taking a lot of inspiration from Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars. This will be a platform fighter, but I won't settle for just making it a Smash clone but with Jump characters.

The Jump Stars games on the DS had the Koma system, which essentially means you had to put together a bunch of Manga panels before you started the fight. There were three types of panels -
Battle Koma - What it says on the tin. It would basically have whatever character you'd want to play as, although different panels would take different amounts of space and their gameplay would change slightly depending on what you chose. You can also change character mid battle.
Support Koma - You summon a character that performs a certain action that helps you. Most fighters would also have support koma.
Help Koma - Basically stat boosts and the like. The would only take one square.

Now I think this system is flawed (It's pretty overwhelming for new players and it could take a while to put koma together), but I do think we should preserve it, although I think we should discuss how to change it to better fit modern consoles and gameplay sensibilities. On that note, we should also discuss control schemes.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
langrisser-x-gintama-ssr-gintoki-ssr-kagura-sr-shinpachi-v0-14osx1wii6691.png

Gintoki (Gintama)

Funny, great moveset potential. A pretty big-ish series which deserves a spot on our roster.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (or Bo-bobo for short) is the main character of the series of the same name - he's the guy with the blonde afro and sunglasses in the center of the image. In the distant future of 300X, Bo-bobo fights the Hair Hunter army, whose mission is to shave everyone bald.

Also, Bo-bobo (the character and the series) is completely bonkers.

...this makes about as much sense in context.

Bo-bobo uses the Fist of the Nose Hair fighting style, beating up opponents with his whip-like nose hairs, but the series also parodies Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, and basically anything else that it's able to. (other Fist of the Nose Hair techniques include summoning a family of bears to beat an opponent and giving a speech)

Gameplay

Since modern systems don't have the dual screen/touch control that the DS had, maybe the koma system could be adjusted so it's a mix of Smash Ultimate's Squad Strike and Capcom vs. SNK's ratio system? Players have a maximum amount of "panel space", with more powerful characters taking up more space and each one being a life. So you could have two eight koma characters, meaning that you'd have two powerful characters but only two lives, or four four koma characters, meaning that you'd have more lives but weaker characters. (though the gap in power wouldn't be too big for the sake of fairness) Though players wouldn't be able to swap between playable characters at will as a result.

Help characters would still give a passive boost, while support characters could be summoned with a cooldown. (maybe the D-pad could be used to cycle between support characters)

As for gameplay, I figure it doesn't have to change too much - there'd still be light attacks, heavy attacks, and super moves, with the super moves requiring a special bar (which is built up by the light and heavy attacks) to use. Super moves vary depending on the koma, though I'd not sure how well it would work to have characters transform based on komas like they did in Jump Ultimate Stars. (in that game, Luffy's 4-6 komas were his base form (with supers based on Alabasta, Skypiea, and Davy Back Fight), while his 7 and 8 komas were Gear 2, but Luffy's gotten two major forms since then, with both of them having wildly different animations from his normal self)

The gameplay would remain pretty similar to previous Jump ___ Stars games - a platform fighter where the stages are manga panels, and you can either deplete an opponent's life bar or destroy the outer edges of the page to launch an opponent out of the arena.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gonna submit Alan Walker from D. Gray-Man
Job 21: Allen Walker (D.Gray-man)
View attachment 339963
Allen Walker is the protagonist of D.Grey-man, a series that debuted in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2004 and has since switched magazines numerous times (though it has remained a Jump series the whole time), settling in Jump SQ.Rise in 2018. Allen is a British teenager in the 19th century the who joins the Black Order, a group of soldiers known as exorcists. In order to fight demons, Allen uses an object known as an innocence that causes his arm to become gigantic, and develops new abilities as the series progresses.

Now admittedly I'm not very familiar with the series so I had to look all that up (apologies if I got anything wrong), but despite not having as much publicity as the likes of say, Naruto or Bleach, D.Grey-man is popular enough to rank at the top 40 best selling Jump series, and Allen actually made it into the Jump Stars games alongside another character from the series, Lenalee Lee. When he was demoted into an assist in J-Stars, people weren't happy, so I think we should rectify that by having him be playable again. Heck, as I said before the series is still running (although that can be attributed to the number of hiatuses it took, but still), so it's still relevant enough to be included in the year 2023.
As for gameplay, I figure it doesn't have to change too much - there'd still be light attacks, heavy attacks, and super moves, with the super moves requiring a special bar (which is built up by the light and heavy attacks) to use. Super moves vary depending on the koma, though I'd not sure how well it would work to have characters transform based on komas like they did in Jump Ultimate Stars. (in that game, Luffy's 4-6 komas were his base form (with supers based on Alabasta, Skypiea, and Davy Back Fight), while his 7 and 8 komas were Gear 2, but Luffy's gotten two major forms since then, with both of them having wildly different animations from his normal self)
I mostly agree with this but I also think designing several different movesets for the same character might be too much trouble. We might have to do something about that

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, I'd be fine with taking away the transformation aspect (for the sake of simplicity if nothing else), and maybe they could just have one or two super moves rather than it depending on the koma. (otherwise, I feel like it might get complicated depending on how many komas a playable character gets)

In Jump Ultimate Stars, I think it was something like B with directional inputs (neutral/forward/up/down) were light attacks, Y with directional inputs (neutral/forward/up/down), and X used specials (neutral X and up X were two different specials). We could go with that (or something like it) to keep it consistent. (I could have the specific buttons wrong)

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
My biggest problem with the koma system is that it overcomplicates the process of actually selecting a character to play as, so I think a traditional “character select screen” would be the thing I think should be changed the most.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My biggest problem with the koma system is that it overcomplicates the process of actually selecting a character to play as, so I think a traditional “character select screen” would be the thing I think should be changed the most.
Honestly that should probably be an option. Maybe the Koma system would be a separate mode?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm closing submissions in a couple hours. Of we don't get any new character submissions we'll just add the three submitted ones and move on to the next job

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Tsunayoshi Sawada (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)
1673648714671.png

Reborn! is one of the biggest series' Jump had in the 2000s, it's a common presence in crossovers, and Tsuna himself was one of the most requested omissions from Jump Force even if I personally think there were bigger fish to fry. He'd be good to get in I think

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gintoki 10
Bobobo 8
Allen 2
Tsuna 4

Gintoki, Bobobo, and Tsuna will be added to the roster.

Job #11: Submit home stages for 60s-70s characters
Kinnikuman, Ryotsu, and Cobra currently don't have home stages. Pretty self explanatory

I admittedly don't know much about any of the three characters so I don't have much to contribute to this job

darkvortex

Smash Lord
1000181901_1__58323.jpg

Wrestling Ring (Kinnikuman)
This stage is exactly what you expect it to be. Various wrestlers from the series cameo in the background.

Kochikame title 2.jpg
Police Station (Kochikame)
Fight on top of the station and in front of it. Characters from the series will cameo inside it as the door opens.

Space Adventure Cobra - 08v2 (Blu-ray, 1080p, 10bit)[13C795A3] [Gokmen].mkv_snapshot_07.59_[20...jpg

The Turtle (Cobra)
Cobra's spaceship. Fight on top of it as it flies through space. Lots of planets in the background.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Once again apologies for the delay, I was too preoccupied with real world events to really pay attention to this thread but now I can finally refocus my attention on this thread.

Anyway, since darkvortex darkvortex is the only one who submitted anything, Wrestling Ring, Police Station, and The Turtle will be added.

Job #12: Submit a 2010s character
This should be fairly easy since this is the decade with the most mainstream Jump series that the general populace is aware of. However, just in case, here's a list of notable series that debuted in this decade:
Nisekoi
Haikyu
Assassination Classroom
Food Wars
World Trigger
My Hero Academia
Black Clover
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
The Promised Neverland
Dr. Stone
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
Mission: Yozakura Family
Three to four characters will be added

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Resubmitting Denji.
After much thought, I've decided to go with the protagonist of one of Shonen Jump's most recent hit manga...
View attachment 372213
Denji (Chainsaw Man)
Denji starts off the manga working off the Yakuza debts inherited from his father by hunting Devils (creatures born from human fears), with the aid of his companion Pochita, the dog-like Chainsaw Devil. After being betrayed and killed by the Yakuza, Denji forms a contact with Pochita, fusing and reviving them as a powerful human-Devil Hybrid. By pulling Pochita's cord embedded in his chest, Denji can transform into the titular Chainsaw Man, resulting in him manifesting chainsaws from his head, arms, legs, and feet, which can be used to cut through Devils' flesh. After getting his revenge on the Yakuza that murdered him and killing the Zombie Devil, Denji is approached the Public Safety Division, a group of government-sanctioned Devil Hunters assigned to deal with devils that have become public threats as well as small-scale incidents involving devils. Denji is convinced to join their ranks by the promise of having his basic needs accounted for and the seeming kindness of the high-ranking Devil Hunter Makima, whose division (Tokyo Special Division 4) Denji joins.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Izuku "Deku" Midoriya (My Hero Academia)

Deku is a studious young boy who wants to become a hero just like his idol All Might. Unfortunately, his dream is hampered by the fact that he's among the 20% of the population who doesn't have a quirk, this setting's name for a superpower. A chance encounter with All Might causes the seasoned hero to realize that the boy is much like All Might himself when he was younger, and All Might lets Deku in on the secret of his ability - All Might's quirk, One For All, is passed down from user to user over the generations, growing stronger with each transfer, and with All Might's body secretly giving out on him, he's chosen Deku as his successor.

Deku joins a prestigious school for heroes, having to get used to this new power that he's received - even using too much of the power boost at once can cause serious injury to himself.

(admittedly, out of these protagonists, Deku's the only one that I'm even remotely familiar with; I haven't read any of the other series that are listed here)

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Tanjiro_colored_body_4.png

Tanjiro
Demon Slayer is a huge series that has reached the level of One Piece. Tanjiro is now in the level of the big SJ icons, we kind to need to have a DS rep in here. He'd mainly use his sword, but also the many demon powers he Karen's over the course of the series

jaejae981

Smash Rookie
Korosensei (Assination Classroom)
Korosensei has a wide array of crazy abilities he can use that can be made into a really fun move set. Assassination classroom is a personal favorite of mine and I would love to see it represented in some way. I think having Korosensei as a playable character would be a great to represent this crazy fun anime.

KamenMax617

Smash Rookie
Here's my contribution. What I've noticed is the Game lacks some form of Playable Female Representatives and if I got any picks to go with, then I felt like Nisekoi's Chitoge Kirisaki would be a given for Me. After all, if she can be a part of the Playable Roster for the very first Super Mario Maker game, then why the fingerlickin' fridge not? Not to mention, as seeing her pit toe to toe against the likes of Janemba and Yhwach would be fun too.

Also, here's a little something to go too, partners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom