• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Jump Stars EX - A Shonen Jump Platform Fighter

How many characters should we include at launch?

Votes: 7 70.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Thousand Sunny 16
Kame House 9
Alabasta 0
Konoha Village 10
Hueco Mundo 1

Our first two stages will be the Thousand Sunny from One Piece and Konoha Village from Naruto!

Job #6 is gonna be a big one, so I'll have to do it in a separate post.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Next... this is a big job, and a somewhat unconventional one at that.

Job #6: Discuss the Mechanics
While we all love Jump Ultimate Stars, I think we can all agree that it was not a perfect game. The physics were basically non-existent, the characters were unbalanced and it was overall kind of janky. So for this job, we are going to discuss how to update this game's fighting system. We discussed some of these topics the other day on the Discord server, so this is our bucket list, with my personal thoughts on each topic:
  • Controls - JUS's control scheme aged pretty well and wouldn't need much change. However, I feel like we could easily map the dash function to the second control stick rather than having to double tap the direction you're facing.
  • Physics - As I mentioned previously, the physics of JUS were practically nonexistent. Since then, the platform fighter genre has gone on to become more well defined and physics are an integral part of it. So my suggestion is that we implement a knockback and weight system similar to Smash Bros, or find an alternative.
  • KO System - Rather than the percentage based combat that the genre is known for these days, JUS had a lifebar. This isn't necessarily a flaw, but I think it would be nice if you could at least switch between having a lifebar and percentage based combat.
  • Battle Camera - The camera of JUS was very zoomed in on the player, which made it hard to follow what opponents were doing. I think we could benefit from adopting Smash's camera system. Depending on what camera angle we choose, some of our stages may have to be redesigned.
  • Koma System + Assists - This is where it gets really tricky. JSS and JUS's Koma System was designed with the Nintendo DS in mind, meaning it could utilize the touchscreen to switch characters and summon assists on the fly. However, this hypothetical game will come to modern consoles that have no such feature, and our game will likely be designed with local multiplayer in mind which would mean it wouldn't be as easy to jump in and play with your friends. With both of these features in mind, it would be difficult to re-implement this system.
    However, this doesn't mean we have to ditch it; in JUS you could also switch characters with the shoulder button, so we could have this game be the platform fighter equivalent of a tag fighter. Also, assists are definitely worth keeping around as they give us an opportunity to represent characters who wouldn't have made it in otherwise. That said, I do think we should streamline the deck making process to make it easier to jump in and play.
  • Items - Personally, I don't feel like items are a good fit for a game based around Shonen battles where most of the series represented rely heavily on their own abilities to beat their opponents.
  • Aesthetics - JUS was a sprite based game and it looked beautiful, but I don't think we can do anything like that in this generation. I suggest a cel-shaded style ala MvC 3, but with a manga style look rather than that of an American comic book. We should also discuss whether or not to use the manga designs or the anime designs for each character. Also, should we have voice acting and should we use music from the anime? And should we have alternate costumes?
  • New mechanics - If there's a new mechanic you'd like to see, feel free to submit it. Personally, I'm in favor of having Super Moves since Shonen manga are known for their bombastic finishers.

If there's anything I missed, feel free to point it out and make sure to comment on my suggestions.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I think most of the above post is agreeable - I'll just make the sidenote that I'd personally rather we base characters on their manga looks, as I feel it's more thematically fitting and would be a nice change of pace after J-Stars and Jump Force mostly used the anime as reference for the characters' designs. But it doesn't have to be exclusively one or the other

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I think most of the above post is agreeable - I'll just make the sidenote that I'd personally rather we base characters on their manga looks, as I feel it's more thematically fitting and would be a nice change of pace after J-Stars and Jump Force mostly used the anime as reference for the characters' designs. But it doesn't have to be exclusively one or the other
I agree with this idea in theory but I also think some characters look better in their anime designs. I'm in favor of doing it case by case

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Next... this is a big job, and a somewhat unconventional one at that.

Job #6: Discuss the Mechanics
While we all love Jump Ultimate Stars, I think we can all agree that it was not a perfect game. The physics were basically non-existent, the characters were unbalanced and it was overall kind of janky. So for this job, we are going to discuss how to update this game's fighting system. We discussed some of these topics the other day on the Discord server, so this is our bucket list, with my personal thoughts on each topic:
  • Controls - JUS's control scheme aged pretty well and wouldn't need much change. However, I feel like we could easily map the dash function to the second control stick rather than having to double tap the direction you're facing.
  • Physics - As I mentioned previously, the physics of JUS were practically nonexistent. Since then, the platform fighter genre has gone on to become more well defined and physics are an integral part of it. So my suggestion is that we implement a knockback and weight system similar to Smash Bros, or find an alternative.
  • KO System - Rather than the percentage based combat that the genre is known for these days, JUS had a lifebar. This isn't necessarily a flaw, but I think it would be nice if you could at least switch between having a lifebar and percentage based combat.
  • Battle Camera - The camera of JUS was very zoomed in on the player, which made it hard to follow what opponents were doing. I think we could benefit from adopting Smash's camera system. Depending on what camera angle we choose, some of our stages may have to be redesigned.
  • Koma System + Assists - This is where it gets really tricky. JSS and JUS's Koma System was designed with the Nintendo DS in mind, meaning it could utilize the touchscreen to switch characters and summon assists on the fly. However, this hypothetical game will come to modern consoles that have no such feature, and our game will likely be designed with local multiplayer in mind which would mean it wouldn't be as easy to jump in and play with your friends. With both of these features in mind, it would be difficult to re-implement this system.
    However, this doesn't mean we have to ditch it; in JUS you could also switch characters with the shoulder button, so we could have this game be the platform fighter equivalent of a tag fighter. Also, assists are definitely worth keeping around as they give us an opportunity to represent characters who wouldn't have made it in otherwise. That said, I do think we should streamline the deck making process to make it easier to jump in and play.
  • Items - Personally, I don't feel like items are a good fit for a game based around Shonen battles where most of the series represented rely heavily on their own abilities to beat their opponents.
  • Aesthetics - JUS was a sprite based game and it looked beautiful, but I don't think we can do anything like that in this generation. I suggest a cel-shaded style ala MvC 3, but with a manga style look rather than that of an American comic book. We should also discuss whether or not to use the manga designs or the anime designs for each character. Also, should we have voice acting and should we use music from the anime? And should we have alternate costumes?
  • New mechanics - If there's a new mechanic you'd like to see, feel free to submit it. Personally, I'm in favor of having Super Moves since Shonen manga are known for their bombastic finishers.

If there's anything I missed, feel free to point it out and make sure to comment on my suggestions.
Since most people don't seem to object to my suggestions, we'll have this job be on-going in the background and if there's anything you wanna bring up, feel free to do so.

Also I forgot to mention that the game would be playable online and would have rollback netcode.

Job #7: Submit a Game Mode
Right now the only confirmed mode we have is vs. mode, both off and online (though we do have some customization options already) so I think we should have a few more. Please submit what the mode would be, how it would work, and how it fits into a game like this. You can submit modes from previous Jump games or brand new ones

UserKev

Smash Champion
A Survival Mode is the only idea I can see off the top of my head. You face various anime characters on a tournament mode. After each fight, your health bar increases by small ounces that you'd need to invest in, depending on the difficulty setting.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is a story mode a given? It seems easy enough to have one similar to Jump Ultimate Stars, where (after a series of tutorial missions) you go to worlds based on individual series that are featured here (whether they have playable characters or they've only got supports) and complete several missions based on them.

The story doesn't have to be very detailed or anything (Jump Ultimate Stars basically just had you go from world to world completing missions without any plot behind them until it was revealed that Dr. Mashirito, the bad guy from Dr. Slump, was behind the worlds being brought together somehow, at which point everyone beats him up), but I figure that a series of missions based on each represented series seems like something that we should have.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Maybe a standard Smash mode (removes the walls of the stage [assuming that pages act as walls carry over to this game] and add percentages)

Tbh I haven't played or seen much of the game so I'm basically clueless on jobs 6 and 7, this was another shot in the dark.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Is a story mode a given? It seems easy enough to have one similar to Jump Ultimate Stars, where (after a series of tutorial missions) you go to worlds based on individual series that are featured here (whether they have playable characters or they've only got supports) and complete several missions based on them.

The story doesn't have to be very detailed or anything (Jump Ultimate Stars basically just had you go from world to world completing missions without any plot behind them until it was revealed that Dr. Mashirito, the bad guy from Dr. Slump, was behind the worlds being brought together somehow, at which point everyone beats him up), but I figure that a series of missions based on each represented series seems like something that we should have.
None of the modes from the previous games are locked in yet

You can submit a story mode but having it be different from the one in JUS would be appreciated

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Maybe a standard Smash mode (removes the walls of the stage [assuming that pages act as walls carry over to this game] and add percentages)

Tbh I haven't played or seen much of the game so I'm basically clueless on jobs 6 and 7, this was another shot in the dark.
Yeah honestly I have to admit that I haven't played much of the game either even if I played enough to understand most of the mechanics on a basic level

So uhhhh I might not be the most qualified person to tackle those particular subjects

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
None of the modes from the previous games are locked in yet

You can submit a story mode but having it be different from the one in JUS would be appreciated
Okay, sounds good. I'm just going to type up my ideas; Wednesday's a pretty busy day for me, so I apologize for responding so late.

I haven't played J Stars Victory Versus, but I know that in the story mode for that game, you could pick between one of four teams based around different characters (Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, and Toriko, in that case). Maybe it could be a mix between that and something like World of Light, where you pick between one of four teams (Luffy, Goku, and Naruto seem like obvious ones - not sure if the fourth would be Ichigo, Ryotsu, Gon, Jotaro, Deku, or someone else) and have to complete missions in order to unlock help koma, support koma, or playable characters. (assuming that we're still going with the deck-building method)

Each could start at different parts of the map (maybe North, East, South, and West being the J-Zone, the U-Zone, the M-Zone, and the P-Zone or something like that), with who you choose determining where you start and what characters you start with. (for example, if you choose Goku, you get a Gohan support koma and a Master Roshi help koma - not saying that those characters need to be stuck in those roles, and if Gohan's playable, maybe a playable version could be unlocked early on in Goku's area)

Once you've beaten the other three leaders (so in the Goku example, it would be beating Luffy, Naruto, and the other one), it could unlock a "Darkness Zone" where the villain of the game awaits. (you don't need to 100% complete the area or get everything to get to a leader, just get to certain points on the map)

Maybe the map moves you in a clockwise direction, so playing as Goku will have you fighting the leaders in the same order each time. (or maybe it's better to give people freedom to go in either direction; I'm not sure)

I figure that the story pretty much just needs to be an excuse for why these characters are fighting or competing against each other - maybe the universes/timelines are brought together, and the last person standing gets one wish? (that probably wouldn't motivate Goku much, since finding the Dragon Balls is like a day trip for him, but he'd get excited about fighting a bunch of new people from other universes with strange powers) Plus, it would work well even for motivating characters who aren't the team leaders, such as Ryotsu wanting to use the wish to get a ton of money or Tanjiro wanting to wish for his sister's humanity to be restored if they don't wind up being team leaders.

(full disclosure, I haven't read Demon Slayer or Kochikame, so I have no idea if Tanjiro's sister regains her humanity or Ryotsu gets rich by the end of the series)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I will submit arcade mode

Like in Smash Ultimate, each character will have a themed mode specifically for them (for example, Goku's would be titled "The World's Strongest" and he'd fight characters who are known for being extremely powerful, Luffy's would be "I'm gonna be King of the Pirates" and he'd fight characters who resemble villains from One Piece, and so forth) with a final boss in the end

Also each of character would have a unique ending like in MvC 3 that utilizes the crossover element. It could be a fun bit of fanservice

I'll keep submissions open for a little while longer.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Alright I think now's a good time to close down submissions. Your options are:

UserKev UserKev Survival Mode
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton "Smash" Mode (We'll have to think of a different name for this)
Megadoomer Megadoomer Story Mode
Jondolio Jondolio Arcade Mode

You can vote for your top 2 but you can only vote for your own submission in second place.

My votes:
1. Story Mode
2. Arcade Mode

Additonally, we'll start the next job very soon

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #8: Submit a Dragon Ball character
Dragon Ball is probably Jump's most well known property in the west and a hugely popular one with a beloved cast of characters. Goku is always accompanied by a few more of his fellow Z Fighters in Jump crossovers, so for this job I will be asking you to submit a Dragon Ball character and explain a bit about who they are and how they would fight. Additionally, you can submit characters who were in Jump Ultimate stars, such as Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, and Frieza.

That will not be our only character job however...

Job #9: Submit a Straw Hat Pirate
One Piece is basically Jump's flagship series at this point. It's the best-selling manga series of all time and has been running for 24 years and has enjoyed a lot of exposure and popularity since it began. It also has a huge cast of characters, so it makes sense that we add more characters other than Luffy.
JUS had most of the Straw Hat Pirates at the time as playable characters (aside from Chopper and Usopp), but for this game we'll be taking an approach more akin to that of the last few Jump crossovers, which included both Straw Hat pirates and other characters (specifically, Jump Force had Zoro and Sanji but also a few other characters from different fractions such as Boa Hancock and Blackbeard). However, since we are trying to represent as many series as possible, we will only have room for one member of the crew in the base roster. So for this job we will be deciding who that is. You can either submit a character who was in JUS, or a new one.

Lastly,

Job #10: Submit a brand new character from a represented series
This basically speaks for itself. Add a new character from one of the following series:
  • Kochikame
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  • Yu Yu Hakusho
  • Hunter x Hunter
  • Naruto
  • Bleach
  • Assasination Classroom
  • My Hero Academia
  • Demon Slayer
Additonally, you cannot submit characters who were in Jump Ultimate Stars. They will be eiligible for future jobs but not this one. So you cannot submit the following:
  • DIO
  • Kurama
  • Hiei
  • Killua Zoldyck
  • Sasuke Uchiha
  • Sakura Haruno
  • Kakashi Hatake
  • Rukia Kukichi
  • Renji Abarai
  • Tōshirō Hitsugaya
Job #7 is still going on btw

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
1. Story Mode
2. Arcade Mode

Job #9: Tony Tony Chopper

5E2E1B70-4E6F-44B7-B646-5705A9E01263.png

The adorable medic of the Straw Hat Pirates and pseudo-mascot for the series, Chopper might not seem like a threat on the surface, but there’s way more to our reindeer friend than meets the eye. As a user of the Hito Hito no Mi fruit, he’s able to transform between multiple different human-reindeer hybrid forms, all of which offer different advantages in battle.

Honestly, the main reason I decided on Chopper is because Jump games tend to almost exclusively focus on human characters and I think it’d be fun if we got a non-humanoid in here for variety’s sake. I also think he could make for a fun stance-changing fighter with him being able to swap between his reindeer, human, and hybrid forms at will, though you can just as easily have him briefly transform as part of his regular moveset.

Job #10: Jolyne Kujo

E3D6FBD7-3556-47F6-969B-BC5BB16408FC.png

Jolyne is the protagonist of Jojo’s 6th part, Stone Ocean. She is the daughter of Jotaro Kujo. After being framed for a crime she didn’t commit, she is sent to Green Dolphin Street Prison. While there, she awakens to the power of her Stand, Stone Free, which allows her to turn her body into string. With this newfound power, Jolyne is determined to break free from this Stone Ocean. Oh, also she has to fight a DIO-admiring priest hellbent on destroying the world, but that’s neither here nor there.

With Part 6’s anime adaptation being just around the corner, I can’t think of a better time to add Jolyne than now. While her stand might not be as combat-oriented as her father’s, she more than makes up for it with the creative ways she’s able to utilize Stone Free. She can use her Stand to reach faraway opponents and deflect oncoming attacks.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 8: Dragon Ball Character

Frieza

As much as I'm a fan of Piccolo, it seems like Vegeta or Frieza make the most sense here, and I don't want to assume that someone else will nominate one of them. (I'm a little tempted to nominate the Dragon Ball Super version of Broly, but these Jump crossovers tend to be manga-focused)

Between Vegeta and Frieza, only one of them has the cross-media presence to get a Japanese death metal song based on him to my knowledge (I'm serious - it even inspired a movie), so I'm going with him.

Frieza's the main villain of the Namek saga, the strongest being in the universe (well, if you don't count Beerus... and Whis... and Broly... and Buu... and arguably King Cold...) who seeks the Dragon Balls on Namek in order to become immortal. Cold and ruthless, Frieza codified a lot of concepts that became mainstays in shonen manga, like transformations. (they existed before, but Frieza turned it into an art form, with four forms each radically different from the last)

Frieza's had several crossover appearances, not to mention all of the Dragon Ball fighting games out there, and Dragon Ball is an action-heavy series, so it shouldn't be tough to picture how he'd fight. For reference, here's his sprite sheet from Jump Ultimate Stars to get an idea of how he fought in the previous games. Aside from punches and kicks, he headbutts people, hits them with his tail, fires energy blasts, or uses telekinesis.

Job 9: Straw Hat Pirate
The Helmsman Jinbei

While this character being a major character isn't a spoiler (so if it was a general One Piece nomination, I wouldn't worry about spoiler-tagging it), the fact that they become a Straw Hat Pirate is. I don't know where everyone is when it comes to One Piece, or if they've even read it yet, so I'm spoiler-tagging to to be safe.

Jinbei is a former member of the Seven Warlords of the Sea and a former captain of the Sun Pirates. After Luffy helped to free him from Impel Down, the two of them became friends, with Jinbei helping Luffy out of depression and Luffy saving Fishman Island from destruction. In a move that shocked the world, one of the notoriously independent Warlords became a crewmate to Straw Hat Luffy, further cementing Luffy's legend.

Jinbei's design definitely seems like it would stick out among the roster, which largely consists of humanoid characters aside from Koro-sensei. In addition, if there's any interactions in the game, it seems like Jinbei could be entertaining, between his ultra-serious nature (he feels like every detail needs to be planned out, even insisting that a completed plan needs a name before they put it into action), his contrast with Luffy (as a veteran pirate, he isn't exactly prepared for his captain's impulsive nature), and his demonic appearance. (at the very least, it seems like Tanjiro would mistake him for a demon)

Much like with Frieza, he has several video game appearances to draw from - not as many as Frieza, of course, but One Piece had its own Smash-style game by the developers of Jump Ultimate Stars, so his appearance in that gives an idea of how he might fight. As a big bulky Fishman Karate user, he largely fights with punches and kicks, and he can also throw water like a cannon and summon whales.

While this character is (as of now) the newest member of the crew (people speculate that there will be at least one new member after the current arc in the manga, but that's unconfirmed), they've definitely got more than enough material to draw from for this, and I think they would be a fun addition which brings something different to the table.

(I can remove the spoiler tags if needed - if the character gets in, then their name would have to be mentioned. I'm probably just being paranoid about this sort of thing)

Job 10: New character from a represented series

Hinata Hyuga (Naruto)

An unfortunate truth about Jump crossovers, and shonen manga as a whole, is that they're pretty light on women. Let's look at the previous games:

-Jump Super Stars: six female characters out of thirty-four (and one of them, Anna from Shaman King, can't be used in Jump crossovers any more since the series was bought out by Kodansha)
-Jump Ultimate Stars: nine out of fifty-six (and again, Anna can't be used now)
-J Stars Victory Versus: three out of thirty-nine
-Jump Force: three out of forty (DLC adds another three, for a total of six out of fifty-four)

While there's a lot of Naruto characters that I'd like to see (Lee, Gai, Hinata, Gaara), I feel like Hinata would make the biggest difference here. It also helps that she becomes a lot more important as the series goes on (past the point that Jump Superstars and Ultimate Stars covered), and by the end of the series, it could be argued that she's as much of a female lead of the series as Sakura is. (at the very least, she got an entire post-series movie that was based around her)

Hinata fights using the Hyuga clan's techniques, combining their all-seeing Byakugan with pressure point techniques to prevent an opponent from using chakra. This could translate into a character based on precision, patience, and spacing, or it could just give her a visually different fighting style from the likes of Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, or Kakashi. Plus, getting into crossover stuff again, her fighting style's pretty similar to Hokuto Shinken from Fist of the North Star (minus the victim's head exploding in her case), so if there are interactions in the story, that could be brought up if you play Naruto's route and unlock Kenshiro. (I'm assuming that Kenshiro will be added eventually, and I'll do whatever I can to make that happen)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #8: Vegeta
1637860194058.png

The prince of all Saiyans (well, all two of them, unless you count Gohan, Goten, and Trunks), Vegeta is one of the most iconic Dragon Ball characters, dare I say, the second most recognizable one after Goku himself. It says something when a character's been playable in every Jump crossover game thus far.

Vegeta was introduced in the Saiyan saga as the main antagonist, where he fought and was defeated by Goku. Despite that, the two reunited in the following arc on Namek, facing a common enemy in Frieza. After Goku defeated Frieza and resurrected Vegeta (and a bunch of other people), Vegeta stuck around on earth despite his beef with the Dragon Team, and even had a kid with Bulma somehow. He became very determined to defeat Goku, but eventually he mellowed out and sacrificed himself to save his family (he got better of course since this is Dragon Ball).

Not much would have to changed about Vegeta's moveset from JUS (here's the sprite sheet for reference) aside from maybe adding his new transformations from Super (though I'm not very familiar with Super so I don't know how much difference that would make), which I should mention seems to have pushed him even further into the public eye. If there's one more DB character we should have in this game, it's Vegeta.

Job #9: Roronoa Zoro
1637860781098.png

I know I've been only submitting the safer picks so far, but hey, someone has to.

Zoro is the swordsman of the Straw Hat crew, being the first member to join the crew after Luffy rescued him from a marine base and basically blackmailed him into joining him. Despite this, the two became very good friends and eventually it got to the point where Zoro willingly took all of Luffy's pain and nearly died to protect him from a warlord of the sea.

Zoro strives to defeat the warlord of the sea, "Hawk-Eye" Dracule Mihawk and take the title of "the world's greatest swordsman", and he seems to be on the right track since he can basically slash through anything, including metal (and that's one of the earlier things he could slash). Despite being a stone-cold badass, Zoro is somewhat of a buffoon and his sense of direction is absolutely abysmal, to the point he could get lost in a straight hallway. This perfect balance between "badass" and "buffoon" made him extremely popular with the fanbase, to the point he consistently ranks second place on popularity polls, losing only to Luffy himself (aside from that one time when he got third, but that was only once). So he's kind of a big deal. Also, imagine him asking Frieza for directions. That'd be Sabaody 2.0.

Zoro wields three katanas (he puts the third one in his mouth). Despite his playable appearance in JUS, Zoro would have to be updated significantly since 15 years have passed since then and he's learned a bunch of new techniques, and gained the ability to use Haki as well.

Job 10: Nezuko Kamado (Demon Slayer)
1637861609433.png

Tanjiro's younger sister. When her family was attacked by a powerful demon, she was the sole survivor (aside from Tanjiro who wasn't present and only found out when it was too late), and was turned into a demon. Despite this, she resisted the urge to consume human flesh, and Tanjiro vowed to turn her back into a human. After he officially became a demon slayer, Nezuko accompanied him from inside the basket on his back since demons are vulnerable to the sun, and whenever the need arose she would fight alongside him.

Aside from hand in hand combat and the like, Nezuko has her Demon Blood art, which is basically pyrokinesis. She can basically ignite everything on fire, including her own blood (though that might be difficult to translate into this game). She also has her attacks from the recent Demon Slayer fighting game which could be used in her moveset.

Shonen manga often feature few female characters, and even fewer that are actually competent. Being the heroine of Jump's big breakout hit, I feel like it makes a lot of sense to include Nezuko. She's a cute yet deadly character with a big fan following.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like the voting for these jobs is going to be tough haha. Picking which Straw Hat to include already feels like a parent being asked who their favourite child is, and while we can clearly agree that more women should be in the game, it will be tough to narrow it down to one of the three options. (though I'm sure there will be other opportunities to nominate whoever doesn't get in later)

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I feel like the voting for these jobs is going to be tough haha. Picking which Straw Hat to include already feels like a parent being asked who their favourite child is, and while we can clearly agree that more women should be in the game, it will be tough to narrow it down to one of the three options.
Oh yeah absolutely. I was gonna nominate Usopp but I already did it in the Shonen Jump vs Capcom thread and I wanted this roster to be a little different, so I went with Zoro despite Usopp being my favorite.
(though I'm sure there will be other opportunities to nominate whoever doesn't get in later)
laughs nervously

Here's the thing

With the straw hats, there won't be another opportunity. There's a reason why I specified this prompt as "Straw Hats" rather than general One Piece characters - I feel like having two Straw Hat pirates as playable characters and then the rest of the cast be other characters would represent its diverse cast of characters better. It was a tough decision but in the end I feel that's for the best, especially since we're trying to differentiate this roster from JUS's.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 8

Bulma

Bulma is a character who has appeared in all Dragon Ball Parts, She is married to vegeta and represents a part of Dragon Ball rarely represented in Fighting Games. Someone without Ki, She is just very rich and very smart

Job 9

Nami

One Piece: 5 Ways Nami Changed Since She Was Introduced (& 5 Ways She  Stayed The Same)

Nami is another character not typical represented with a Fighting game but she absolutely has unique characteristics that can set her apart like her weather powers and she was technically the second straw he we saw.

Job 10

Himiko Toga (My Hero Academia)

Himiko Toga is a villain from my hero academia and is quite popular, her quirk is being able to transform into anyone she has the blood of. that quirk plus her knife crazy tendencies would be a fun fighter.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #10: Joseph Joestar from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
400px-Joseph_Joestar_Infobox_Manga.png

Joseph Joestar is a major recurring character in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, being the main character of Battle Tendency as well as a supporting figure in Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable. The grandson of Jonathan Joestar, he starts out being wrapped up in a quest to defeat the Pillar Men, before joining his grandson Jotaro and a bunch of other people decades later to defeat DIO. He also starts out as a goofy and energetic, yet also quite cocky and immature person, before somewhat mellowing out over the years. I'm basing him on his more hot-blooded younger self from Battle Tendency here, as I feel that'd just overall be the better option.

Joseph has extensively trained to master the solar-powered martial art known as Hamon, which can also be used to infuse various weapons - his weapon of choice, in fact, being a pair of Hamon-infused clackers. However, aside from his mastery of this martial art, Joseph's greatest asset is his wit. There are plenty of times he's won out over his opponents by simply outsmarting them, making use of logical guesses about their movements and mannerisms along with a more pragmatic fighting style. So he could make use of both of these attributes in this moveset, fighting both with Hamon and the almighty power of going with whatever the **** you can find, and overall having a playstyle based around outwitting and trapping your opponents.

I think Joseph would be a good choice for a JoJo newcomer for a few reasons. First off, he distinguishes himself from the one JoJo rep currently in our roster by not being a Stand user. Secondly, not only is he a recurring and important figure in the series, he's a very beloved character as well, being one of the most popular in the series. Battle Tendency is a fan-favorite JoJo part and he's a fan-favorite JoJo, so it all just kinda comes together. Thirdly, he's frankly just a ridiculously fun character. He'd be great. Get 'im in.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Survival Mode 0
"Smash" Mode 0
Story Mode 10
Arcade Mode 5

Our first additional mode will be Megadoomer Megadoomer 's story mode.

Submissions for newcomers will remain open for a little while longer.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Note: I haven't seen much of One Piece, most of my knowledge comes from Episode 52 and before. That's because I'm on Episode 52, anyways...

Job #9: Usopp
1637935274089.png

Captain Usopp is the leader of the Straw Hat pirates and is one of the bravest characters in the entire show. Not really, but he's trying his best. Being the Sniper of the group, Usopp has loads of tools and equipment for combat and is shown to be street smart in a fight (stuff like throwing Alcohol on someone to set them on fire later, and I'm sure stuff like that happens later on in the series).

Usopp would be a unique character (comparatively to the ones we already have) because he'd suck at close range and mostly be a zoner. As for moves he has his slingshot with special contractions sometimes (like the firebird star) and other weapons.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Job #9: Vinsmoke Sanji

Sanji is a part of the Monster Trio along with Luffy and Zoro. He serves as the chef of the Straw Hats. He is a master of the Black Leg style, allowing him to deliver powerful kicks, but that's just the start of it. He can light his legs on fire for fire kicks, and propel himself through the air and water. More recently, he was given a Raid Suit that gives him a few other abilities when he puts it on.

In gameplay, Sanji would be highly mobile and fast. He would do most of his fighting with kicks, but they can be quickly chained together for powerful combos. In a pinch, he could put on his Raid Suit to gain a few new tricks.
Job #10: Younger Toguro
1637946351449.png

Toguro is the main antagonist in two Yu Yu Hakusho arcs: the Yukina rescue arc, and the Dark Tournament. He seems to be easily defeated by Yusuke and Kuwabara at first, but it turns out he was just pretending, as he saw potential in them and wanted to invite them to the Dark Tournament. Yusuke and his team eventually encountered Younger Toguro and his team, where Yusuke and Toguro had their final fight.

Toguro mostly relies on his immense brute strength to beat everyone down. He usually doesn't need 100% of his strength to get the job done, so he might use 40% or 50%. In gameplay, he'll hit immensely hard with strikes that are slow, but focused. Eventually he'll be able to power up, using more and more of his strength.​

Jondolio

Smash Hero
We will now begin voting on our next batch of newcomers.

Dragon Ball:
Megadoomer Megadoomer Frieza
Jondolio Jondolio Vegeta
cashregister9 cashregister9 Bulma

Straw Hats:
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos Tony Tony Chopper
Megadoomer Megadoomer Jinbei
Jondolio Jondolio Roronoa Zoro
cashregister9 cashregister9 Nami
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Usopp
Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons Vinsmoke Sanji

Others:
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos Jolyne Cujoh
Megadoomer Megadoomer Hinata Hyuga
Jondolio Jondolio Nezuko Kamado
cashregister9 cashregister9 Himiko Toga
Speed Weed Speed Weed Joseph Joestar
Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons Younger Toguro

Vote for your top 2 DB characters and top 3 for the rest. You can only have your own submission in second or third place.

Mine:
1. Freeza
2. Vegeta

1. Usopp
2. Zoro
3. Jinbei

1. Jolyne
2. Nezuko
3. Joseph

D

Deleted member

Oops I never got to submit

1. Vegeta
2. Freeza

1. Zoro
2. Nami
3. Tony

1. Nezuko
2. Joylne
3. Hinata

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Dragon Ball:

1. Vegeta
2. Frieza

(Bulma would be a great addition, and I'd love to see how she'd translate, but I feel like the other two absolutely need to be in here)

One Piece:

1. Chopper
2. Jinbei
3. Usopp

(again, this is like being asked to pick my favourite child - all of the Straw Hats are great)

Second character from another series:

1. Jolyne
2. Hinata
3. Joseph Joestar

(it would be nice to see JoJo branch out from only having Part 3 characters playable, which was the case in Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Dragon Ball:
1. Vegeta
2. Frieza
Both are basically required as far I'm concerned. Goku, Vegeta, and Frieza are the only Dragon Ball characters to be playable in every Jump game for a good reason. However, getting Vegeta feels a little more important right now.

One Piece:
1. Zoro
2. Sanji
3. Usopp
All of these options are really great, so I just opted to go with the most obvious picks + the pick I think would be most interesting.

Secondary characters from other series:
1. Joseph Joestar
2. Younger Toguro
3. Jolyne Cujoh
JoJo's and Yu Yu Hakusho both have such excellent choices. Any of these three would make for amazing newcomers and I hope all of them make it into our roster sooner or later.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. Frieza
2. Vegeta

1. Zoro
2. Jinbei
3. Nami

1. Jolyne
2. Nezuko
3. Toguro