- Dec 9, 2018
1. Thousand Sunny
2. Kame House
3. Konoha Village
2. Kame House
3. Konoha Village
Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!
You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!
I agree with this idea in theory but I also think some characters look better in their anime designs. I'm in favor of doing it case by caseI think most of the above post is agreeable - I'll just make the sidenote that I'd personally rather we base characters on their manga looks, as I feel it's more thematically fitting and would be a nice change of pace after J-Stars and Jump Force mostly used the anime as reference for the characters' designs. But it doesn't have to be exclusively one or the other
Since most people don't seem to object to my suggestions, we'll have this job be on-going in the background and if there's anything you wanna bring up, feel free to do so.Next... this is a big job, and a somewhat unconventional one at that.
Job #6: Discuss the Mechanics
While we all love Jump Ultimate Stars, I think we can all agree that it was not a perfect game. The physics were basically non-existent, the characters were unbalanced and it was overall kind of janky. So for this job, we are going to discuss how to update this game's fighting system. We discussed some of these topics the other day on the Discord server, so this is our bucket list, with my personal thoughts on each topic:
- Controls - JUS's control scheme aged pretty well and wouldn't need much change. However, I feel like we could easily map the dash function to the second control stick rather than having to double tap the direction you're facing.
- Physics - As I mentioned previously, the physics of JUS were practically nonexistent. Since then, the platform fighter genre has gone on to become more well defined and physics are an integral part of it. So my suggestion is that we implement a knockback and weight system similar to Smash Bros, or find an alternative.
- KO System - Rather than the percentage based combat that the genre is known for these days, JUS had a lifebar. This isn't necessarily a flaw, but I think it would be nice if you could at least switch between having a lifebar and percentage based combat.
- Battle Camera - The camera of JUS was very zoomed in on the player, which made it hard to follow what opponents were doing. I think we could benefit from adopting Smash's camera system. Depending on what camera angle we choose, some of our stages may have to be redesigned.
- Koma System + Assists - This is where it gets really tricky. JSS and JUS's Koma System was designed with the Nintendo DS in mind, meaning it could utilize the touchscreen to switch characters and summon assists on the fly. However, this hypothetical game will come to modern consoles that have no such feature, and our game will likely be designed with local multiplayer in mind which would mean it wouldn't be as easy to jump in and play with your friends. With both of these features in mind, it would be difficult to re-implement this system.
However, this doesn't mean we have to ditch it; in JUS you could also switch characters with the shoulder button, so we could have this game be the platform fighter equivalent of a tag fighter. Also, assists are definitely worth keeping around as they give us an opportunity to represent characters who wouldn't have made it in otherwise. That said, I do think we should streamline the deck making process to make it easier to jump in and play.
- Items - Personally, I don't feel like items are a good fit for a game based around Shonen battles where most of the series represented rely heavily on their own abilities to beat their opponents.
- Aesthetics - JUS was a sprite based game and it looked beautiful, but I don't think we can do anything like that in this generation. I suggest a cel-shaded style ala MvC 3, but with a manga style look rather than that of an American comic book. We should also discuss whether or not to use the manga designs or the anime designs for each character. Also, should we have voice acting and should we use music from the anime? And should we have alternate costumes?
- New mechanics - If there's a new mechanic you'd like to see, feel free to submit it. Personally, I'm in favor of having Super Moves since Shonen manga are known for their bombastic finishers.
If there's anything I missed, feel free to point it out and make sure to comment on my suggestions.
None of the modes from the previous games are locked in yetIs a story mode a given? It seems easy enough to have one similar to Jump Ultimate Stars, where (after a series of tutorial missions) you go to worlds based on individual series that are featured here (whether they have playable characters or they've only got supports) and complete several missions based on them.
The story doesn't have to be very detailed or anything (Jump Ultimate Stars basically just had you go from world to world completing missions without any plot behind them until it was revealed that Dr. Mashirito, the bad guy from Dr. Slump, was behind the worlds being brought together somehow, at which point everyone beats him up), but I figure that a series of missions based on each represented series seems like something that we should have.
Yeah honestly I have to admit that I haven't played much of the game either even if I played enough to understand most of the mechanics on a basic levelMaybe a standard Smash mode (removes the walls of the stage [assuming that pages act as walls carry over to this game] and add percentages)
Tbh I haven't played or seen much of the game so I'm basically clueless on jobs 6 and 7, this was another shot in the dark.
Okay, sounds good. I'm just going to type up my ideas; Wednesday's a pretty busy day for me, so I apologize for responding so late.None of the modes from the previous games are locked in yet
You can submit a story mode but having it be different from the one in JUS would be appreciated
Oh yeah absolutely. I was gonna nominate Usopp but I already did it in the Shonen Jump vs Capcom thread and I wanted this roster to be a little different, so I went with Zoro despite Usopp being my favorite.I feel like the voting for these jobs is going to be tough haha. Picking which Straw Hat to include already feels like a parent being asked who their favourite child is, and while we can clearly agree that more women should be in the game, it will be tough to narrow it down to one of the three options.
laughs nervously(though I'm sure there will be other opportunities to nominate whoever doesn't get in later)