• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Jump Stars EX - A Shonen Jump Platform Fighter

How many characters should we include at launch?

Votes: 7 70.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The results for Job #1 are in:
Mash 3
Dai 3
Gin 1
Deku 15
Yuji 7
Emma 2
Korosensei 11

And so, our first two newcomers will be Deku from My Hero Academia and Korosensei from Assasination Classroom!
(Everyone else will still be eligible for future jobs, btw, so don't worry)

Submissions for Jobs #2 and #3 will remain open for a few more hours.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I may be putting the cart before the horse here and acting really overeager about this project, but some of the creation threads here have their own Discord servers so I went ahead and made one for this one. I'm really passionate about the idea of a new Jump Stars game, so I really hope we come outta this with a sick concept on our hands - and I figure fostering a community of sorts can help incentivize discussion and exchanging of ideas. I just think having a sort of Related Place where we can more casually discuss the project and talk Jump would probably help

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Alright I'm a little late but we will now begin voting on the returning veterans who will he part of the reveal lineup. Our choices are:

Megadoomer Megadoomer Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Speed Weed Speed Weed Kankichi Ryotsu
Jondolio Jondolio Gon Freecss
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Jotaro Kujo
cashregister9 cashregister9 Gintoki Sakata
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos Yusuke Urameshi

You can only vote for your own submission in second or third place.

My votes:
1. Jotaro
Jojo's more popular than it's ever been so it makes a ton of sense to have the series mascot as part of the reveal lineup. He's inevitable really
2. Gon
Another inevitable character that we should get out of the way
3. Yusuke
I'm a Togashi stan.

Also make sure to vote in the poll

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Ryotsu - I'm not familiar with Kochikame, but it ran in Jump for 40 years straight, and by my understanding, it was pretty much Japan's equivalent of the Simpsons. It's had such a cultural impact in Japan that it's the fourth-highest-selling Shonen Jump manga ever, only being beaten out by One Piece, Dragon Ball, and Naruto as of this writing. While I'm not sure how much of that is due to the sheer number of volumes (200), I figure it should be in here.

2. Jotaro - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has gone through a massive leap upwards in terms of popularity since 2006; it definitely seems like one of the first series that should be revealed, and hopefully we can get content from parts beyond part 3 as well.

3. Bo-bobo - shameless self-vote

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
  1. Yusuke
  2. Jotaro (such an inevitability and iconic character that I frankly hate that we had to submit him for base roster 3 times)
  3. Gon

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The results for Job #2 are in:

Bobobo 2
Ryotsu 8
Gon 8
Jotaro 21
Gintoki 1
Yusuke 8

So Jotaro Kujo from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure will be joining the roster. However, we also have a 3-way tie between Ryotsu, Yusuke, and Gon, so we're gonna have a poll to determine which one of these characters will be part of our starting lineup.

Job #4: Submit a stage from one of the "Big Four" series
We need to have locations for the fights to take place in so I'm gonna ask you to submit a stage from either Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach. Submit the location and layout and any cameos in the stage. Please note that stage cameos don't disconfirm characters from being playable. Two stages will be added.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I'm going to say right now I haven't seen any of the big four, I've always been intimated by how "big" the series are and kind of don't want to spend long time on one thing. Basically my submission was a shot in the dark as to importance, I don't know if this was important but I'm submitting it anyway.

Thousand Sunny (One Piece)
1637416368077.png

The Thousand Sunny is the second ship of the Straw Hat Pirates. I chose this because from an outside perspective I think this encompasses what One Piece is about (a constant journey to find something, and they are pirates so the stage is a pirate ship) and I think the layout would be chaotic fun. Maybe as another bonus some ships or islands can be seen in the background.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
So I said this in the Discord but I think it's worth mentioning here as well

Ryotsu currently has a lead in the poll. However, since the other 2 are very likely to be included later anyway, I'm thinking of adding all 3 of them and then have another newcomer job on top of it for a total of 11 characters in the reveal lineup.

What are your thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sounds good to me; it gets them out of the way now, since all three of them seem like picks that will make it in sooner or later.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double post, but I have an announcement to make

Due to most of the Discord server users giving it the okay, we will be adding Ryotsu, Yusuke, and Gon to the reveal lineup. This is a one-time thing and we will make sure to properly break ties in the future.

Also, we will change Job 4 accordingly.

Job #4: Submit a character from a post-2015 series
This honestly speaks for itself. Explain a little bit about the character, the series they come from, and what they can do. And obviously you can only submit newcomers.
You can repeat submissions from Job #1 if you submitted a post-2015 character

D

Deleted member

Just gonna resubmit Emma

Emma (Promised Neverland)

A young girl in an orphanage who teams up with her fellow orphans to escape after they learn the dark truth of their existence. I think it would would cool to include see some non fighting manga character and to also include some more recent characters. Her moveset would include various traps and references to the series.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Last time I submitted a character I liked because there was a character I expected to have submitted and thought was gonna be part of our starting lineup. However, that character was absent from the job #1 submissions and that was kind of jarring, considering how much of a hit his series is. So while it's pretty much a safe pick it's one we absolutely NEED to include.

Job #4: Tanjiro Kamado (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba)
1637432211321.png

The hero of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Tanjiro used to live on a mountain with his mother and siblings, selling charcoal for a living. However, that peaceful life came to an abrupt and horrifying end when his entire family was slaughtered by a demon, save for his sister Nezuko who became a demon herself. Vowing to avenge the deaths of his family and restore Nezuko's humanity, Tanjiro trained to become a Demon Slayer and set out to find the demon that did the deed after passing the Final Selection. Despite his family being killed by a demon, Tanjiro is still a very kind person, a trait that he extends even to he demons he cuts down.

Despite being a newer series, Demon Slayer has gone on to become one of Jump's most popular series ever, with the manga selling about 150 million volumes, being the fifth best selling Jump series ever, only being beaten by One Piece, Dragon Ball, Naruto. and Kochikame, which is mighty impressive for a series that's only been around for 5 years (and has ran for 4, ending last year) compared to series that ran for 24+, 11, 15 and 40 years respectively. Demon Slayer the movie: Mugen Train has also gone on to become the highest grossing anime film of all time. Demon Slayer's appeal extends beyond just hardcore anime fans, which means we absolutely have to include him. It would be like not having the Inklings in Smash Ultimate.

Tanjiro uses a katana and incorporates breathing techniques into his fighting styles. His moves would be incredibly flashy with water and/or fire effects (I don't have any specifics in mind for how it would work but we could figure this out later).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As it turns out, I have not read a single Shonen Jump series that has came out after 2015 (the only Jump series that I read weekly are One Piece and My Hero Academia), unless Boruto counts (and I'm not a fan of Boruto himself, so I'm not going to nominate him - besides, he first appeared in the last chapter of Naruto). However, I am going to nominate a Dragon Ball stage - I feel like there should be some returning stages in this game.

Kami's Lookout (Dragon Ball)

Okay, so technically, Kami's Lookout is in the background, instead of being the stage itself, but I'm not sure what else to call this stage. I had a choice between this or Planet Namek for returning Dragon Ball stages, but while I'm more familiar with Jump Ultimate Stars than I am with Jump Super Stars, I figure that Shenron is the more iconic dragon of the series, so he should be featured rather than Porunga.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #4: Denji (Chainsaw Man)

C2466CF2-8F7A-4B52-A031-32DD7370E9C9.png

Denji is the main protagonist of Chainsaw Man. Inheriting his father’s debts to the Yakuza, he’s forced to become a devil hunter for them. He’s aided by Pochita, a demon who embodies the fear of Chainsaws. The Yakuza soon betray and kill him, but after forming a contract with Pochita, Denji is reborn and able to transform into a chainsaw-headed and armed demon at will (pictured below).
2AED13DF-2CBD-4A22-B504-A0392D82E417.jpeg

I’ll admit that I’m not super knowledgable about Chainsaw Man (I’ve been meaning to get around to it but I’ve never found the time), but it seems like one of Shonen Jump’s bigger recent breakout hits that just makes sense to include here. Plus, the concept of fighting as a chainsaw demon is way too goddamn cool to pass up. He’d certainly be one of the more unique characters on our roster in terms of playstyle.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I used Mash for the other job and that didn't seem fair, so I guess this is what this job is for.

However, I'll use this opportunity to shill another recent character

Job #4: Taro Sakamoto (Sakamoto Days)

Five years prior to the story, Sakamoto was the deadliest hitman in Japan. But then he fell in love with a convenience store clerk and left the hitman business. He got married, had a kid and opened his own convenience store called Sakamoto's, and in all this time he became overweight (as pictured above). However, his former colleagues found him and sent in a hitman with mind-reading abilities (which is a whole other mess elaborated a bit into the series) to re-recruit and/or kill him.

However, just because he no longer looks like the stone-cold ubermench badass he looked like five years ago doesn't mean he isn't that. The first thing you see him do is stab a guy with a pen (which I won't show here for obvious reasons). There are times when he kicks ass so hard he loses weight in an instant and reverts to his old look

But he married his wife on the grounds that he will never kill anyone again, so he makes sure to keep his life as peaceful as possible. Although that's kind of hard when a two billion yen bounty is placed on you all of a sudden... :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

1. Tanjiro
2. Denji
3. Emma

Last edited by a moderator:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Denji (I think Tanjiro probably should get in first, but a dude with a head and arms of Chainsaws is so cool I don't even care. I have to vote him first.)
2. Tanjiro (What's the magical 6 word sentence, class? That's right,
Get Him Out Of The Way)
3. Sakamoto (looks neato)

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The poll's closed which means our starting roster will have 50 characters, 25 of which will be returning from JUS and 25 brand new.

Also voting for Job #4 will wrap up soon so make sure to vote if you haven't yet

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The results for Job #4 are in:

Emma 6
Tanjiro 19
Denji 13
Sakamoto 10

The last member of our reveal lineup is Tanjiro Kamado from Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba!

We will now shift our focus to non-character elements for a bit, starting with what was originally supposed to be job #4...

Job #5: Submit a stage from one of the "Big Four" series
We need to have locations for the fights to take place in so I'm gonna ask you to submit a stage from either Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach. Submit the location and layout and any cameos in the stage. Please note that stage cameos don't disconfirm characters from being playable. Two stages will be added.

CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Megadoomer Megadoomer Your submissions will still be counted, unless you want to change them of course.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #5: Kame House (Dragon Ball)
1637545344058.png

An iconic location from Dragon Ball, Kame House is the residence of Master Roshi (and also Krillin and his family for some reason) and serves as sort of the unofficial base of operation for the Dragon Team. It's also where Goku and Krillin trained under Roshi.

The stage would be somewhat similar to Tortimer Island but the rooftops would serve as platforms. Also, Roshi, Turtle, Launch, Bulma, Krillin, Oolong, Android 18 and possibly a few more of Goku's allies would appear in the background.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I'm going to change my submission, since I want to make sure that we get a Naruto stage, and I figure there's one returning stage that seems incredibly obvious. (I'll spoiler-tag the picture both due to the size and because there's a minor spoiler in there for anyone who hasn't seen Naruto yet)

Konoha Village

Structured the same (or at least similarly - not sure if the "manga page as a breakable border" gimmick is staying) as it was in Jump Ultimate Stars, Konoha Village is a stage that's quite large horizontally, with a big platform in the center of the screen, and several smaller platforms rising along the edges. The bottom of the stage consists of three platforms separated by a rocky floor that crumbles if you stand on it for too long.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hueco Mundo

The home relam of the Hollows. Takes place in a large desert area with some platforms.The Palace of Las Noches sits in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Submissions are closed. We will now begin voting on our first two stages. The choices are:

CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Thousand Sunny
Jondolio Jondolio Kame House
Zinith Zinith Alabasta
Megadoomer Megadoomer Konoha Village
@Darkonedagger Hueco Mundo

You can only vote for your own submissions in second or third place. We will add the top two choices (though if the top 2 are the One Piece stage we'll just pick the more popular of the two and then pick the next top voted stage)

Side note, but I see not many have considered the layouts of these stages. That's fine for now since we haven't really talked about the mechanics too much yet, but it's something we'll have to consider later nonetheless. Regardless, my votes are:

1. Thousand Sunny
2. Kame House
3. Konoha Village

UserKev

Smash Champion
Eh? Hope I'm doing this right.

1. Kame House
2. World Tree (Hunter X Hunter)
3. Mirror World (One Piece)

D

Deleted member

Eh? Hope I'm doing this right.

1. Kame House
2. World Tree (Hunter X Hunter)
3. Mirror World (One Piece)
No one submitted World Tree or Mirror World (HXH stages weren't eligible for this round). You have to vote for a stage someone submitted. They are listed above

Top Bottom