• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Community Voted Tier List: Version 4 COMPLETE! Break for a few months...

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Well that turnaround was quicker than expected...

UPDATED :)

In regards to people worrying about tiers being empty, don't worry about it. If for example, in a few more rounds when we lock the tiers, we have an empty tier, or a tier with just one character in for example, I'll do a bonus round beforehand.

Let's take the current situation as an example. If Bowser Jr is the only character in tier 7, I'll start a bonus round. You will be able to vote whether he merges with the tier above, or below. You would also be able to vote for him to stay where he is if you so desire (it's entirely possible to vote a single character up or down in the wildcard rounds remember, so that tier may come in handy). On the situation he'd move up or down, I can then just remove the tier. It will all balance out.

On a side note, I decided to keep 5 votes for this round. I was going to drop it to 3, but I decided to stay on 5 votes for one more round if only because of Tier 7 having just Bowser Jr in; it's an extra chance to move a couple of characters there if you want too.

• You have 5 votes to play with. +1 and/or -1 up to 5 different characters.
  • Characters are not ranked within tiers at this point. You are voting to establish their tiering position.
  • Remember, it takes +/-3 to move a character 1 tier, and +/-10 to move them 2 tiers. No character can move more than 2 tiers during each phase.
  • Please vote on the list at the time of voting. While you can vote based on what you like, things such as "X character will probably get votes later so I'm down voting now etc" isn't the best way to do it.
  • :4pit: and :4darkpit: can be joined together to count as one vote if you vote for one or the other. However, you can still vote on them individually if you so desire.
An example vote:

+1:4bayonetta:
+1:4bowser:
-1:4bowserjr:
+1:4falcon:
-1:4charizard:

Version 4.10 - Characters not ranked within tiers.

1::4diddy::4sheik::4fox::4bayonetta::4sonic::rosalina::4mario::4cloud::4mewtwo::4zss:
2::4metaknight::4pikachu::4villager::4greninja::4megaman::4ryu::4tlink::4marth:
3::4corrin::4lucina::4falcon::4lucario::4ness::4pit::4darkpit:
4::4lucas::4yoshi::4peach::4robinm::4myfriends::4luigi::4olimar::4dk::4rob::4bowser::4link:
5::4gaw::4shulk::4littlemac::4pacman::4wario2::4palutena::4duckhunt:
6::4falco::4kirby::4miigun::4feroy::4charizard::4drmario::4wiifit::4samus:
7::4bowserjr:
8::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4dedede::4zelda::4miisword::4miibrawl:

My votes so far

+1:4olimar:
-1:4myfriends:
-1:4palutena:
-1:4falco:
-1 Gunner
+1 Marth (I really shouldn't be having to do this; countervote)
-1 Peach

-1 :4bayonetta:

Diddy and Bayonetta really don't need their own tier. They are countervotes.

Olimar really deserves to go up at this point; Dabuz and Shutton are more than proving his worth at high/top level play. Whether or not he really is tier 2, I'm unsure (I actually think it's possible, more so than him being tier 3), but tier 3 is a given if you ask me.

Ike, Falco and Palutena are characters I just feel would be better suited somewhere in the tiers below them for numerous reasons (before people jump on me for Palutena, I believe she's at least near the top of tier 6, please, don't worry). Plain and simple.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
The tiers are starting to look really good! My thoughts on the tiers as they are now:

Tier 1 (Top): Looks accurate.
Tier 2 (Upper High): Pikachu and/or Greninja could maybe drop a tier, but otherwise it looks very accurate.
Tier 3 (Lower High): Looks pretty good. Maybe the Pits should move down? I see some tier 4 characters with the potential to move up to tier 3, although I'm not sure if anyone is there yet.
Tier 4 (High-Mid): Looks pretty good. A few characters (like Peach, Lucas, and Olimar) could potentially be tier 3, and a few characters (like Bowser, Ike, and Link) should maybe move down a tier. Still, I don't see anything blatantly wrong here.
Tier 5 (Mid): Again, it looks pretty good. I could see Wario moving down.
Tier 6 (Low-Mid): So, the question is, what is the difference between Low-Mid and Low tier? All of the characters in this tier are somewhat underplayed, thus making it harder to properly place them. Some might have hidden potential while others have some very unfortunate MU charts.
Tier 7 (Low): Bowser. Jr is a flawed character, but tier 6 or tier 7? I'm not sure. Other characters might, perhaps, move down.
Tier 8 (Bottom): I could see King Dedede moving up and perhaps Zelda. I don't think anyone else should move up and no one from tier 7 should drop down.

I suspect we'll see some very mixed opinions shared this round, since most obvious placements have been dealt with already and the upper tiers are mostly done.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
:4olimar:+
:4falco:-
:4kirby:-
:4miigun:-

Last vote will probably be a countervote for either Corrin, Ike, or Marth as none of them, imo, deserve to go down.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Starting with a vote that I'm surprised very few people are doing:

+1 :4peach: Please, people! Everything about her screams that she's good enough to rise to tier 3: she has great results with Samsora, SlayerZ, Ling Ling, Kie, and Umeki; she has high "poTENshul", especially with her float mechanic; and her current move set has notable moves of D-tilt, U-smash, three of her throws, all of her aerials, and three of her specials (side-B is pretty safe on shield with low end lag and high shield damage).

And my other votes:

+1 :4olimar: Dabuz's secondary Olimar has proven to be the downfall of many high-level players, Shuton is doing really well in Japan with the character, and people like Myran, Angbad, and even ImHip are still showing up. Shouldn't he be tier 3?
-1 :4falco: I just don't see him doing as much as the characters around him. His results are still quite lacking, and his theory still suffers from bad mobility and certain moves being straight downgrades of Fox's moves (dash attack, F-tilt, up-B).
Zero Soul brings a good point about tier 7, so I've removed that vote.
+1 :4marth: *sigh* I hate that I have to waste a vote here, but when people blatantly ignore the facts, I can't let them dictate his placement.
Cool, people are no longer ignorant.
+1 :4lucas: I want him to be on the same level as Ness to accurately reflect the current meta game, and since both of them have upvotes, this seems like the logical vote.
-1 :4pikachu: So his last result at a pseudo-national was 2nd at Shine, but looking at it realistically, the only big threat to ESAM's Pikachu was ZeRo. Besides that, Pikachu's only notable results are at regionals, showing that he doesn't have what it takes to be among the national threats in tier 2.

Those are pretty much my only critiques with the list right now. It's looking pretty good!

EDIT: Added Marth upvote.
EDIT 2: Removed Marth upvote.
EDIT 3: Added Lucas upvote and Pikachu downvote.
EDIT 4: Removed Falco downvote.

Last edited:

QualityQ

Smash Apprentice
-1 :4ryu:
-1 :4olimar:
+1 :4pit:
-1 :4samus:
+1 :4pacman:

Although I don't think marth is really tier 3, I think the less characters in tier 2, the better. I think that would better represent the gap between tier 1 and tier 2. After all, for most of the characters in tier 2 you could make an argument they should be in tier 3 instead. So I think if there's any doubt for a character to be between tier 2 and 3, it's probably best to move them to tier 3.

I could see Dark pit in tier 4 on a purely results-based argument, so I won't vote both this time. However Pit is certainly tier 3 at least.

I also think people should consider Ike in doubles before moving him down. He really shines there.

EDIT: Changed -marth to -olimar.

Last edited:

QualityQ

Smash Apprentice
Frihetsanka Frihetsanka ANCIENT QUOTE

Just to point out, this Tier List is 1v1 mainly.

However, when it comes later down the line, for voting in tiers, lets say :4zelda: and :4jigglypuff:are in the same tier. If, when ordering the tiers, you want to state that "Actually, Puff is better than Zelda in doubles, so she should be higher than her in the tier", then that's acceptable.

Just be aware that the list is almost 100% based on a 1v1 environment.
So doubles does count, just not very much.

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
:4falco:-
:4pikachu:-
:4diddy:+ ( I can still upvote to maybe make an even higher tier right?)
:4bayonetta:+
:4miibrawl:+ Feels much more capable than the other miis

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
So doubles does count, just not very much.
Sounds like it really only matters if two characters are close and one is significantly better in doubles. Right now we're not ordering within tiers anyway, so doubles is 100% irrelevant for the time being.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
+ Feels much more capable than the other miis
Note that it's 1111 Brawler, not XXXX Brawler.

Edit: @Mods: Sorry for the double post. I posted my previous message around the same time as Bigbomb2 posted his, and from what I understand if you edit in a quote or a tag it won't properly alert the user, so I posted twice to make sure he got it. Feel free to merge the posts if you like.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I seriously need to double check that I do these right, and I want to change it a little too.
I'm changing :4gaw: and :4marth:
To a +1:4ness: and -1:4palutena:
I promis this is my last edit for this, but obviously I'm wasting a Zelda vote cause.....it ain't gonna happen...so I change
+1 :4zelda: to -1:4myfriends:

So to avoid confusion, my new list is
+1 :4kirby::4peach::4ness:
-1:4myfriends::4palutena:

Sorry Bowserboy3 Bowserboy3

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
It's always so funny when so many people counter something that other people have to counter the counter lol.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Votes thus far:

1: [1:4bayonetta:][0:4diddy::4sheik::4fox::4sonic::rosalina::4mario::4cloud::4mewtwo::4zss:]
2: [0:4metaknight::4villager::4greninja::4tlink:][-1:4marth::4megaman::4ryu:][-2:4pikachu:]
3: [1:4ness::4falcon:][0:4corrinf::4lucina::4lucario::4pit:][-1:4darkpit:]
Moving up to 3: [3:4lucas:]
4: [2:4peach:][1:4olimar::4luigi:][0:4yoshi::4robinf::4dk::4rob:][-1:4link:][-2:4myfriends::4bowser:]
5: [2:4shulk:][1:4pacman:][0:4gaw::4wario2:][-1:4duckhunt::4palutena:][-2:4littlemac:]
6: [1:4wiifit:][0:4kirby::4drmario::4miigun:][-1:4feroy::4charizard::4samus:][-2]
Moving down to 7: [-5:4falco:]
7: [1:4bowserjr:]
8: [1:4dedede::4miibrawl:][0:4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4zelda::4miisword:]

Last edited:

QualityQ

Smash Apprentice
Changing -Falco to -Peach

Also you guys jump on trends waaaaaay too quickly. I'm looking at you Olimar.
I agree. Changed a marth downvote (marth is hilariously frozen) to an Olimar downvote. Dabuz's secondary matches his style very well, and it feels like Dabuz skill + strategy and matchup knowledge makes it work. And there are a number of Olimar mains with less than stellar performances.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
My votes, I might change some or all of them:

+1 :4ryu: (Counter-vote to keep Ryu in tier 2.)
-1 :4luigi: (Counter-vote, Luigi's results don't seem to warrant him being tier 3, and is his theory really on par with other tier 3 characters?)
+1 :4palutena: (Counter-vote to keep Palutena in tier 5, partly because I'm tired of her moving up and down almost every round.)
+1 :4miigun: (Counter-vote to keep Gunner in tier 6. It's hard to say since it's a Mii, but I've seen some 1111 Gunners do decently well, and Routa seems to support Gunner in tier 5, so it seems a bit harsh to drop Gunner to tier 7.)

Saving my last vote for now.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Starting with a vote that I'm surprised very few people are doing:

+1 :4peach: Please, people! Everything about her screams that she's good enough to rise to tier 3: she has great results with Samsora, SlayerZ, Ling Ling, Kie, and Umeki; she has high "poTENshul", especially with her float mechanic; and her current move set has notable moves of D-tilt, U-smash, three of her throws, all of her aerials, and three of her specials (side-B is pretty safe on shield with low end lag and high shield damage).

And my other votes:

+1 :4olimar: Dabuz's secondary Olimar has proven to be the downfall of many high-level players, Shuton is doing really well in Japan with the character, and people like Myran, Angbad, and even ImHip are still showing up. Shouldn't he be tier 3?
-1 :4falco: I just don't see him doing as much as the characters around him. His results are still quite lacking, and his theory still suffers from bad mobility and certain moves being straight downgrades of Fox's moves (dash attack, F-tilt, up-B).
+1 :4marth: *sigh* I hate that I have to waste a vote here, but when people blatantly ignore the facts, I can't let them dictate his placement.
Cool, people are no longer ignorant.
+1 :4lucas: I want him to be on the same level as Ness to accurately reflect the current meta game, and since both of them have upvotes right now, this seems like the logical choice.
-1 :4pikachu: So his last result at a pseudo-national was 2nd at Shine, but looking at it realistically, the only big threat to ESAM's Pikachu was ZeRo. Besides that, Pikachu's only notable results are at regionals, showing that he doesn't have what it takes to be among the national threats in tier 2.

Those are pretty much my only critiques with the list right now. It's looking pretty good!

EDIT: Added Marth upvote.
EDIT 2: Removed Marth upvote.
EDIT 3: Added Lucas upvote and Pikachu downvote.
Added :4lucas: upvote and :4pikachu: downvote.

Last edited:

Samuelwisebaggins

Smash Cadet
Samus? Charizard? Why?
Without my up vote Samus would be moving down to tier 7. I think she's definitely better than Bowser Jr. and Falco, and most characters in tier 6 actually.

Charizard I'm surprised to see people downvoting. Certainly better than Dr. Mario or Wii fit.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
-:4miigun: to -:4olimar:, I'll change up my original post.

Gunner ain't getting enough interest even though he and Samus absolutely need to move down a tier.

Top Bottom