• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashalot! 8/18/07 San Antonio Tournament

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Its been a lot of fun organizing these tournaments the last few months, but this one will be my last as a tournament organizer. The week after this tournament I'm going to start college at UT Austin. In fact, I won't actually be running this tournament, it'll be one of the few that I play in. Hope you all can come, and anyone want to team with me :D?

Now of course the details. We're going to try something new for this tournament.

Registration and Schedule

1:00 Registration Begins
3:00 Smash Singles Tournament

$15
TWO singles events
ONE Team event

Prize Layout:
60%
25%
15%

This entry fee will let you compete in the singles and team event.
After the 4th round of the first singles tournament, eliminated players will be entered into a second singles event with the same rules and prize layout as the first.
The team event will follow the end of the second singles event.

You will receive a wrist band which you must wear so we can identify you as being in the tournament and so you can get free tokens for the arcade whenever you like.

7007 Bandera Rd
San Antonio, TX
On Bandera and Huebner on the corner with the Church's Chicken.

Tournament Rules

Singles / Teams
Double Elimination
Matches will be best 2 of 3.
Finals and Semifinals are best 3 of 5.
Random stages are Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Kirby 64, Yoshi’s Story
Banned stages: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett, Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2.
No items.
Time Limit: 7 mins.
4 stock.
At the beginning of a match players can opt for a double blind pick, and to strike stages. Random stages may are open for striking.
After a game the loser picks the stage, the winner decides what character he will play and then the loser will pick their character and the game will begin.
Tactics such as Jigglypuff's rising pound, Peach's wall bombing, and Ice Climbers wobbling (above %200) are banned when used to excessively stall a match.

For teams, the rules are the same except Fountain of Dreams is banned and Rainbow Cruise is added to random.

And please bring gamecubes. The store has plenty of TVs !

bluezaft

The True Zaft
So to get the same prize as the best player there all I'd have to do is throw my first two matches? Awesome. Expect every good player except the one bound to get first to do this. In fact, a lot of matches will turn into a Race to the Finish!

-RedShadow

Smash Ace
OMG I'm getting kinda exited now. This'll be my 1st tourny if I can make this. ^^

EDIT: oops sry about that 2x post. My computer is so ********

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
So, basically if I lose I have a better chance of making money equal to the original winnings?

Felix you must explain that more because that is a crackpot theory.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
So, basically if I lose I have a better chance of making money equal to the original winnings?

Felix you must explain that more because that is a crackpot theory.
Oh it's quite simple. Allow me to explain.

The top 2 players first agree to maximize profits and minimize risk by having one go to the 'lesser' tournament and the other staying in the 'greater' tournament. It doesn't even matter who goes to which because for some reason the prizes are the same. After that every other player decides which one of the top 2 they want to lose to, then try to win or lose their next matches accordingly. If both want to enter the lesser tourney, then the matches become Captain Falcon races to death. But fear not! There's still a chance that the bad players can prevent either of the top 2 from entering the lesser tournament by beating them to the loss. In this case, every single set in the first 4 rounds of the tournament will become suicide races because the lesser tournament will be much more appealing.

Does it make sense?

No.

But is it going to be a BLAST!?

No.

There have been a lot of attempts to separate the pros and noobs into different tournaments, but none have ever worked. Granted, this is one of the more creative ideas I've seen...but in the end the fellowship shall fail. It'll be like if the balrog stomped everyone back in mines of Moria and all you've got is one normal-sized movie and a triumphant Sauron. Not good.

I think I got my point across.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Instead of the same prizes, you could put the entry cost at stake for the winners of the 2nd tourney? Or maybe some of your fabulous trading cards!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll go, but this style of tournament still confoozles the hell outta me.

Nox-Hitmen

Smash Rookie
well
im from Monterrey Mexico, and ill go to this tourney with some other friends like kid, kyra, and raio..
we dont know san antonio very well.. so i was wondering if we can meet you guys at a mall or something...

Nike.

Smash Hero
I hope alot of people go to this one. Last month everybody chose TP, leaving 6 people for Smashalot, 6!!!

Ryan, if you're looking for a partner...

*raises hand*

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
well
im from Monterrey Mexico, and ill go to this tourney with some other friends like kid, kyra, and raio..
we dont know san antonio very well.. so i was wondering if we can meet you guys at a mall or something...
If you really want to do that, you can PM for my phone number. Mi espanol es no bueno, por que I know how to get around in San Antonio very well.

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the detailed, if somewhat pessimistic explanation Bluezaft.

lol@ Kyles espanol.

And sure, i'll team with you Aaron. :D

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
****it, now I may or may not go.

If I do though, I'll take a gamecube.

Hopefully I can also find a partner by then...

reqy

Smash Journeyman
i already got a partner mvp sorry :(.

We're going in as ventriloquists. and now we're upside down. I swing a bit more. he swings a bit less. but one thing's for sure that we are both ventriloquists.

Nox-Hitmen

Smash Rookie
how much people is gonna be there?.. i mean... we are gonna travel like 6 hours.. just to play with u guys...
so we wanna know at least how much people is gonna atend to this tourney

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
wombat whats mikes number, im gonna be @ reagan all this week doing some school stuff was wondering if i could play smash with him afterwards =p.

Nike.

Smash Hero
how much people is gonna be there?.. i mean... we are gonna travel like 6 hours.. just to play with u guys...
so we wanna know at least how much people is gonna atend to this tourney
I've gone to 6 of these and excluding last months (2 tourneys at once, so only 6 people showed) and the one with the moast circuit (36 people?) the rest ranged from 15-20 people. Since this will be the last one at Gamelot Im gonna assume about 20-25 people showing up. Hope that answered your question.

Top Bottom