• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash World Forum's Smash4 Ideal Roster (Current topic: Super Mario)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, so this is a thread dedicated to all the Smash4 anticipating SWF users. Here we will create both a Prediction Roster, and an Ideal Roster. A Prediction Roster is what we THINK the Smash4 roster will REALLY look like. I would like to finish this before E3 this year. Our IDEAL ROSTER, is what we WANT the roster to look like How this will work is simple, we will go franchise from franchise discussing veterans and newcomers, and try and come to a consensus on who we want/think will be in Smash 4. If we cannot agree on something we will leave it to a vote. Debate and depthy discussion is very much encouraged, but keep it civil ladies.

OUR FINAL PREDICTION ROSTER:

Well we voted for this so no one is really LEAVING, just checking if anyone wants to add moar.

IDEAL ROSTER TIME
!Congratulations, you all have been hired on as Sakurai's official Smash4 consultants!

You will be pitching character ideas and discussing movesets, and character potential from each franchise. I, Sakurai will of course be in charge of dealing with vote counting and whatnot, but this is a collaborative effort. Also note that voting will be viewed as a LAST RESORT MECHANISM.The ideal roster is about what we, as a group want from this roster. How this will work is, in order for a character to be added to the roster it must have:

1. Generally agreed that they should be included, or if it comes to it: 50% votes or more
2. A basic playstyle written out as well as B moveset

Besides simply the BASIC roster, we're going to have THREE clones chosen (On the off chance our group somehow finished the game super early), and THREE DLC characters chosen. Lastly we will have FIVEcharacters (being ranked first to last) on the chopping block in case we run short on time. The general roster has no character limit, but just note that there will be six extra characters (some clones, some DLC) planned when all is said and done.

I'm looking for creativity, and civil discussions. (Debate is welcome)

FAQ~

What if multiple people make movesets and no one can decide on one?
No worries, if we have say, three Bowser Junior movesets, and he's chosen to be playable, its our job to combine the best qualities of all of them.

Can we vote in 3 Mario characters?
I mean, we could, but does that sound like a good idea? I don't think so.

Current Ideal Roster:

Current Franchise: Super Mario

Jump in, and have fun! :-)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Before I put my two cents in, I would like to hear from you guys first.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Let's see:
Geno
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Kamek

They are probably the only characters I would want in Smash for Mario characters, even though Geno is a fat chance.
But to be realistic I would go with only King. K Rool and Dixie Kong. Wario already represents Warioware enough really.
Toad is not really needed, because I think the Super Mario series already complete enough that represents whole series and its plot, Mario and Luigi saving Peach from Bowser. Besides, Sakurai would've added Toad in Brawl if he had decided to, at the time Melee brought Bowser and Peach.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Let's see:
Geno
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Kamek
I would like to point out that Geno is technically third party, and Dixie and K. Rool are Donkey Kong. Kamek is technically Mario, but some would argue he fits best as a Yoshi character.

Toad is not really needed, because I think the Super Mario series already complete enough that represents whole series and its plot, Mario and Luigi saving Peach from Bowser. Besides, Sakurai would've added Toad in Brawl if he had decided to, at the time Melee brought Bowser and Peach.
So you expect just the four Mario characters already in Smash? What do you think of Doc, and Boswe Jr?

Also, when you place your vote:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Bolding would be the best so I can see it clear amongst everything.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I would like to point out that Geno is technically third party, and Dixie and K. Rool are Donkey Kong. Kamek is technically Mario, but some would argue he fits best as a Yoshi character.

So you expect just the four Mario characters already in Smash? What do you think of Doc, and Boswe Jr?

Also, when you place your vote:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Bolding would be the best so I can see it clear amongst everything.
Doctor Mario does not fit with the plot of Super Mario Bros. and is not needed at all. Best served as alt costumes, like Tanooki Mario. (A costume that represents the best Mario game).
Bowser Jr. does not represent the Mario series well enough, only having to appear in good Mario titles (By good I mean games after NSMB) as a mini-boss.

Just keep it at:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
DK
Diddy Kong
Wario

Just Add:
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong

10 Mario Characters in total (I consider the above Mario characters), I think ten is enough for the Mario series. Probably no other Mario character unless the characters have strong elements to add them in the game.

(Oh and I would change the topic now, I think I explained it well enough.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, just remember, we're voting only on the Mario franchise right now. But I get your general vote so.

Also, this is a prediction roster, not an ideal roster. Keep this min mind.

While it is arguable whether or not Junior reps the series "well enough", I see your concern as a legitimate one. I would consider him the next best choice in terms of character choices, I just don't expect him.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Okay, just remember, we're voting only on the Mario franchise right now. But I get your general vote so.

Also, this is a prediction roster, not an ideal roster. Keep this min mind.

While it is arguable whether or not Junior reps the series "well enough", I see your concern as a legitimate one. I would consider him the next best choice in terms of character choices, I just don't expect him.
So every Mario spinoff like Mario Tennis and Mario Kart are considered crossovers due to having DK and Wario.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm not changing the topic after only you have voted :p

I wanna get at least six or seven more opinions.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In all honesty, I actually don't expect any new Mario character.

As much as I'd like to see Bowser Jr., I don't expect him to make it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
In all honesty, I actually don't expect any new Mario character.

As much as I'd like to see Bowser Jr., I don't expect him to make it.
Agreed. I don't see a new Mario character happening, out side of Doctor Mario.

Would you consider your vote to be Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser then?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yes.

Although Dr. Mario has leftover data in Brawl, I wouldn't think he would be a priority for Sakurai. That pretty much leaves the same four as Brawl.
Agreed, and we also really don't know what that data was.

Long story short:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

are my votes.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It was a character folder. Same thing with Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Dixie Kong, and whatever pra_mai is.
I was more or less meaning we don't know why the thing was there. Doesn't necessarily mean he was planned. They found a bunch of old Melee pictures and junk on the Brawl disc as well. I figure it could be as simple as that. Just bringing over data to reference.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was more or less meaning we don't know why the thing was there. Doesn't necessarily mean he was planned. They found a bunch of old Melee pictures and junk on the Brawl disc as well. I figure it could be as simple as that. Just bringing over data to reference.
I am pretty sure he was planned at some point to be in, and that that character folder was with the rest of Brawl's playable roster. I hope you are not also going to deny that Mewtwo and Roy were planned.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Roy and Mewtwo had unused victory songs, further suggesting that they would return for Brawl.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Roy and Mewtwo had unused victory songs, further suggesting that they would return for Brawl.
But then they considered Ike as the next popular candidate of FE. Basically it's whats really popular now to replace what used to be popular, keep the ones that basically started or revolutionized a franchise.
The same for Mewtwo, except Mewtwo just recently had a new form, so that might help chances, but I prefer Zoroark over Mewtwo because he is the next popular Pokemon candidate.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
But then they considered Ike as the next popular candidate of FE. Basically it's whats really popular now to replace what used to be popular.
The same for Mewtwo, except Mewtwo just recently had a new form, so that might help chances, but I prefer Zoroark over Mewtwo because he is the next popular Pokemon candidate.
Mewtwo is much more popular than Zoroark.

Check Shortie's poll. Last I checked, Mewtwo was only behind Mega Man in popularity.

D

Deleted member

Placing my prediction vote for: Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser.

Will explain when I get home (rather do so on my computer than on my iPhone.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Mewtwo is much more popular than Zoroark.

Check Shortie's poll. Last I checked, Mewtwo was only behind Mega Man in popularity.
Can we consider Mewtwo a veteran and not a newcomer please? I still want Zoroark as much as I want Mewtwo. Also consider the reason Mewtwo was replaced Lucario in Brawl at the time.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
This is what I think might happen as far as an additional Mario character in Smash 4:

1. We don't get a new/returning Mario rep, leaving just Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser.

2. Doctor Mario returns and gets re-worked.

3. We get either Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Toad, or a surprise Mario rep we wouldn't really expect like E. Gadd.

EDIT: I know, E. Gadd would be a stretch but he does have a lot to work with if his play style is based on him using his inventions like the Poltergust, FLUDD, and Paint Brush.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
But then they considered Ike as the next popular candidate of FE. Basically it's whats really popular now to replace what used to be popular, keep the ones that basically started or revolutionized a franchise.
No, Sakurai had planned for Mewtwo and Roy to be in alongside Lucario and Ike. They were bumped out due to time constraints.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This is what I think might happen as far as an additional Mario character in Smash 4:

1. We don't get a new/returning Mario rep, leaving just Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser.

2. Doctor Mario returns and gets re-worked.

3. We get either Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Toad, or a surprise Mario rep we wouldn't really expect like E. Gadd.
As much as I want number 3 to happen, I seriously think 1 or 2 are far more likely. 1 being the most likely.

No, Sakurai had planned for Mewtwo and Roy to be in alongside Lucario and Ike. They were bumped out due to time constraints.

So, Lucario and Ike took priority over Roy and Mewtwo?

I think we should try and stay on the topic of Mario though right meow.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
As much as I want number 3 to happen, I seriously think 1 or 2 are far more likely. 1 being the most likely.

I just want alt costumes to represent:
-The best of the franchise
- Other characters of the franchise
Just keep Dr. Mario for an alt costume, please.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am uncertain about what is going to happen with Mario. It could have no newcomer, but there is a lot of demand for Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi. All of these characters have things going against them that could prevent them from getting in. Of those, its really a toss-up between Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario. The thing is that although these Mario characters have things going against them, they are all much more recognizable than most of the potential newcomers for Smash 4, and thus could bring some much needed starpower to Smash 4 on the newcomer side of things.

I doubt Dr. Mario is going to come back with his own slot in Smash 4 unless character DLC happens. If Sakurai does the idea of EX characters for Smash 4, Dr. Mario is very likely to return (he would likely be among Sakurai's Top 2 candidates for such a concept alongside Dark Pit). Dr. Mario could also show up as a plain old costume in Smash 4 as well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I doubt that Sakurai is going to go the route of "new = better" this time considering the situation with both FE and Pokemon this (with Mewtwo being the mascot again, and the FE13 lords being pretty redundant in comparison to Ike/Marth).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Do you have a vote Chrono?

I agree with you on how you feel about the Mario franchise, minus Paper Mario. I really think it's going to come down to Junior, Toad, or Doc.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Making a prediction for the Mario lineup is difficult. I think it's extremely likely that there will be at least one new Mario rep, however it's hard to say which one. Not counting Geno there's four popular and highly requested Mario newcomers - Bowser Jr, Toad, Paper Mario and Waluigi. All four of those characters are relevant and important to the franchise so you can easily see any one of them getting in. You could probably even throw Dr. Mario in there too.

My prediction is Bowser Jr being the fifth Mario rep. He's the most important character in the main series at the moment behind only the four already in SSB, serving as a major antagonist in almost every 'Super Mario' game since Sunshine. He has good moveset potential with his magic paintbrush and ability to turn into Shadow Mario, however we all know Sakurai loves a good clone that can be easily be tossed into the game because it requires little work, and of course Bowser Jr. is one of those characters since he can easily be a clone/Luigi-fied clone of his dad.

I have a funny feeling about Waluigi too, if there's six Mario reps then I think he'll be it. I'm not feeling particularly positive about Toad and Paper Mario though. I will however leave my prediction of Mario reps at 5:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Do you have a vote Chrono?
No. I really can't decide who it would be among Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario as though have their merits, its really difficult. Like I said, there is the problem that none of them could not be chosen as well, however, considering the dillemma of there being so few well known Nintendo characters left to add, maybe Sakurai will forgive the faults those character have due to their starpower. If it were up to me though I would choose Toad. Dr. Mario is a definite wildcard since he is a top candidate if more costumes happen, or if EX characters happen, or if character DLC happens.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I have to disagree with Waluigi being important to the Mario franchise. Popular, yes? Important? Not really.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Also consider Geno as the first Mario RPG character, the one who started the Mario RPGs, who was part of the first and must critically acclaimed Mario RPGs of all time.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Also consider Geno as the first Mario RPG character, who was part of the first and must critically acclaimed Mario RPGs of all time.
While I agree that to an extent he's a Mario character, we're gonna save him for 3rd Party stuff.

I don't see Dr.Mario coming back unless he's a last minute choice. I think it's between Toad and Jr.
I would consider Doc to have something that neither of them have, and that's being playable. He was almost playable in Brawl as well. So, who knows.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Agreed. My votes will be:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

I have a gut feeling that Sakurai may add another Mario character, but I'll keep it as the 4 ones from Brawl. Though I would really want either Doc, Toad or E. Gadd.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So if I get this straight. We should list what we predict on the Mario section and what we would love to see on the Mario section?

Well in that case I would vote for Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser.

I think we will get another Mario newcomer. I'm just not sure which one they would go for though. I'm fine with any of them really.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You're doing another one of these group roster things? But anyway:

Mario