• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 5th

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
What if the FD version is still walk-off? Would it work for counter-pick?

Last edited:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
What if the FD version is still walk-off? Would it work for counter-pick?
The concern with walkoffs is the inherit proximity to the blast zones and degenerate gameplay achieved from corner camping, besides the probability of chaingrabs. The "High Risk" aspect of it doesn't make it less degenerate and doesn't make it any less problematic for characters without projectiles.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If only the ropes worked life physics and let you bounce left and right...

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
i like the idea, but I kinda liked the idea of this stage being final destinationized. Cant wait to see that version.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Even with walk offs, I don't think this stage should be banned.
You'd have to try to fight inside the ring.
Wander outside, and risk being CG'd to KO.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I get that the stage has walkoffs, but banning this stage just by virtue of it being one is just silly. If any stage with either a hazard or a walkoff was banned (in Brawl), we'd have 6 actual stages. So if we're this quick to ban things already, then I'm surprised that we haven't simply started using Custom Stages at tourneys.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
In other news, King K.Rool is rapidly becoming more likely.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Interesting.... very interesting. These stage ideas are pretty nifty. But Mr. Sakurai, I'm still waiting for you to announce more characters. Oh and on the topic of stages, we need more stages we'll be able to use in tournaments. You do know we don't only play on Final Destination, right?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Sure, let's completely ignore the fact that not having a lower blastzone completely obliterates an entire set of KO options and nullifies edge-guarding which severely hurts all characters and makes some barely able to function.

No, keep yelling about how tournament players band everything in sight without a single thought, while putting no thought into why such bans are carried out besides "Hazards shot my parents".

Imbeciles.
I've never banded anything in my life.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
"Look! Lights are falling from the heavens! It must be a sign of good thi--"

- Little Mac's last words before freak stage light accident

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
We don't need to play the game to know that walkoffs are bad for gameplay. IIRC, the only legal stage that had walkoffs in Brawl was Delfino Plaza, and temporarily at that. Hazards are less of an issue, depending on how much they disrupt the flow of the match, they still can be acceptable. I personally believe that some of the transformations on Poke Stadium 1 are more harmful than the Halberd hazards, and I'm glad that stage is making a return.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
We don't need to play the game to know that walkoffs are bad for gameplay. IIRC, the only legal stage that had walkoffs in Brawl was Delfino Plaza, and temporarily at that. Hazards are less of an issue, depending on how much they disrupt the flow of the match, they still can be acceptable. I personally believe that some of the transformations on Poke Stadium 1 are more harmful than the Halberd hazards, and I'm glad that stage is making a return.
Castle Siege as well, second transformation and the load of the transformations.

Very first part of Halbred as well, though not as noticeable.

And I would really like to see Distant Planet legal because of how rain interrupts camping at the walk-off and due to how the stage is built recovery is still prominent.

Walk-offs are fine as long as they aren't permanent/only thing available and don't totally kill the recovery aspect of the game.

rikochet

Smash Cadet
Little Mac dittos WWE style cage matches.

LETS GET READY TO RUMBBBLEEEEEE

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Can we all just admire, for a moment, that Sakurai somehow took one of the most classic, basic settings for a fight in all of fiction, and made it a stage that we're gonna end up banning because he somehow came up with a stage hazard for it?

A boxing ring always sounded like the next perfect tourney-legal stage, but now, instead of beating the lights out of each other, people are gonna beat the lights out of the stage instead :laugh:

Not that all this is a knock against the stage concept, it does at least look rather fun.
Notice how he said "Special Ring". I'm guessing the lights are only part of the SmashBros Boxing ring while the WVBA has the lights removed=FD equivalent (+ropes)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Walk-offs were banned because characters could get chain-thrown to their deaths, or waveshined for that matter.
Exactly. Walkoffs (and stages with walls) were banned in melee because of fox, and banned in brawl because of Dedede. (wave shine and dthrow chain grab respectively) They were not banned because people camp them, or because you can't edge gaurd on walk off stages.

Stage hazzards alone have NEVER been an issue in the competitive scene. Random game changing hazzards were the issue. (those of you who watched the smash brothers will sioght this as the reason items were off in melee). Thats why as a melee smasher coming over into brawl I am still very upset about all of the brawl stage bans which would have made a lot more character viable, but that a discussion for another day.

My favorite stage in melee was mute city, which had a very real game changing stage hazzard. It stayed legal because you had warning before it happened. But hey maybe thats banned now I don't know I played melee competitively 10 years ago so maybe that got banned out too.

Here is a list of melee stages that were legal with hazzards back when I played.

brinstar
Japes
great fox(corneria)
kongo jungle
mute city

And as far as I know the only stage that was banned for being "too campy" in melee is hyrule castle.

In the case of "the ring" stage it is a player activated hazzard. If sakurai's post was "sometimes the lights malfunction and fall! Be careful, its a 1 hit K.O.!" I wouldn't even be posting now, it makes sence to question something like that. This is a player activated hazzard; the furthest from random you can get.

If peach is up above you down smashing the lights over and over again and they hit you The hazzard didn't kill you, she out played you.

If someone is camping the edge of the stage and you let them grab you and back throw you. the walk off didn't kill you, you got out played.

I'm gonna sound like an old man here, but you guys new to the scene with out the history and experience backing the 'why's should be very wary about defining the competitive scene of a game that isn't out yet.
So far (at least if you are using the same logic as the previous titles) this stage has no ban worth qualities yet.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
You think this stage will have a Final Destination form? Just a floating boxing ring that looks like something out of Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
*sees first picture*
Cool! It's a nice little bonus that Sakurai added the ability to go on the lights.

*sees second picture*
O.o
Boy, that escalated quickly.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
If the kremlings in the smashrun was'nt enough, I'm now convinced that King K. Rool is in this game. XD

This stage is looking a lot more interesting than when it was first shown off. It looked like just another flat stage, but little by little we saw the runways off to the side, being able to bounce off the ropes, and now a platform up on the lights. The aesthetic change between Smash Bros. and Punch-Out is a nice touch too.

I just hope the lights can be magically fixed in the middle of the fight, because I have a feeling all fights are going to begin with the lights crashing down. It would be a shame if it was stuck that way.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure someone already said this, but BANNED.

But this really looks interesting. The visuals should be pretty good for this effect. Will the lights respawn?

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
If King K. Rool ever makes it into Smash, Sakurai needs to make a pic of the day with Diddy Kong dropping the lights on King K. Rool.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
If chaingrabs aren't as bad as they were in brawl there is literally no reason this stage should be banned by the info we have so far. Even if there are 1 or 2 Dedede-like characters, we could always just ban those stages for those characters.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Sure, let's completely ignore the fact that not having a lower blastzone completely obliterates an entire set of KO options and nullifies edge-guarding which severely hurts all characters
lol that makes no sense. If it hurts all characters then it doesn't hurt any of them. The point is balance.

Who's to say that "edge-guarding" is an important part of the game? That's only true because it's an element of some stages. If some stages don't have it, then we can only conclude it is less central to the game, and part of the character balance (that some characters are better at edge-guarding than others).

Anyway, we can't know anything about how good or bad this is until we have considerable experience playing the game. Like after it comes out.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Well, it seems there's some sort of a bridgewalk up there... I don't believe the intire bridge will be replaced... just the lights i think...

Well, in the direct, Sakurai didn't say ALL of the stages will have their FD replica. So i guess there's a couple of stages where it's not possible... (like stages where you'll get a tour through some area) Or maybe because these stages have other stages of the same franchise that it would be double.. Sakurai mentioned that he just wanted to give the competitive section what the game has to offer besides the main FD stage.
Could be like melee great fox, once cannons are broken they don't get repaired for the rest of the game

pickle962

Smash Lord
*yawn* y'know instead of ******** about stages being legal or not, why don't you crybabies oh I don't know...WORK ON YOUR METAGAME on stages that aren't final destination or battlefield and learn good strategies for said stages instead of just banning them all because they have ONE little gimmick or would be "unfair" to certain characters (boo ****ing hoo that's life deal with it) rant over!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
*yawn* y'know instead of *****ing about stages being legal or not, why don't you crybabies oh I don't know...WORK ON YOUR METAGAME on stages that aren't final destination or battlefield and learn good strategies for said stages instead of just banning them all because they have ONE little gimmick or would be "unfair" to certain characters (boo ****ing hoo that's life deal with it) rant over!
Final Destination has no place in a balanced competitive environment.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I plan on playing on every stage amongst my group of players when the game comes out. I'm not going to move to ban anything until after each stage has been given significant playtime.
Except for maybe Palutena's Temple.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
yes, palutena's Temple looks a bit too trollish... rather playing tag than smash there...

R0Y

Smash Master
Just realized potential Donkey Kong 64 reference. I approve!

You fly up there with Diddy and knock the lights down on King K. Rool in the final boss fight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom